PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers

soxtalker
05-22-2004, 09:51 AM
The Dodgers have now lost 8 straight. I mention this, since they were one of the teams rumored to be a trading partner during the off-season and spring training. Then they started off as one of the hottest teams in baseball. Since they've gone into a tailspin, I'm wondering if they might be starting to think of trades. Any thoughts?

samram
05-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
The Dodgers have now lost 8 straight. I mention this, since they were one of the teams rumored to be a trading partner during the off-season and spring training. Then they started off as one of the hottest teams in baseball. Since they've gone into a tailspin, I'm wondering if they might be starting to think of trades. Any thoughts?

The Dodgers happen to be my second favorite team, so I don't want them to give up just yet. Plus, they are still in a tie for first because the NL West is terrible. I think they will be in the market to add, not subtract, because of the new owner, and because they don't want to lose ground to the Angels or the Padres, who are off to a decent start. Not to mention, their starting pitching has been pretty bad, it's not a position of strength from which they can trade anymore.

chisoxjk
05-22-2004, 09:56 AM
I think it is way too early for them to think about dumping talent. The NL West is wide open, and they are still tied for first.

Their offensive slump is going to have to comtinue for a while longer before they start dumping pitching (Perez) for hitting.

gosox41
05-22-2004, 10:06 AM

I don't think they're going to trade Perez for Konerko. If I remember correctly he has a 2.48 ERA and 1.06 WHIP. But I would like the Sox to go after some of that Dodger pitching and give up Konerko (or Lee) in order to get better.

Bob

soxtalker
05-22-2004, 10:26 AM
When I started this thread, I wasn't thinking that the Dodgers would be dumping talent. They are still in first place. Before the season started, the thought was that hitting was their weakness. If I look at this losing streak, they've been shut out three times, so I'm wondering if that is again becoming a concern for them.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Shawn Green - 1B - LA May. 22 - 1:55 pm et

Shawn Green is getting today off and may sit again tomorrow.
Manager Jim Tracy said that Green is pressing and needs a break. "It's an opportunity to sit back and clear his mind from what is going on and mentally sort some things out," Tracy said. Paul Lo Duca started at first base today, with David Ross taking over catching duties.

Looks like they could use a legitmate first baseman after all. Not trying to restart the PK rumor, but their fast start is starting to look like fluke. We'll see, but a move seems imperrative IMO. Not necessarily with us, but a move nonetheless.

gosox41
05-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Shawn Green - 1B - LA May. 22 - 1:55 pm et

Shawn Green is getting today off and may sit again tomorrow.
Manager Jim Tracy said that Green is pressing and needs a break. "It's an opportunity to sit back and clear his mind from what is going on and mentally sort some things out," Tracy said. Paul Lo Duca started at first base today, with David Ross taking over catching duties.

Looks like they could use a legitmate first baseman after all. Not trying to restart the PK rumor, but their fast start is starting to look like fluke. We'll see, but a move seems imperrative IMO. Not necessarily with us, but a move nonetheless.

As I said earlier, I'm all for trading PK for pitching.

Bob

jeremyb1
05-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
As I said earlier, I'm all for trading PK for pitching.

Bob

Peope say that but the fact remains that we couldn't trade Konerko for nothing. We couldn't trade him for the worst fringe prospect in baseball unless we sent a ton of cash with him.

soxtalker
05-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Peope say that but the fact remains that we couldn't trade Konerko for nothing. We couldn't trade him for the worst fringe prospect in baseball unless we sent a ton of cash with him.

OK, how much cash? We're 1/4 the way through the season, so I assume that means that he is still owed $6M this year and $8M next year. At what price would Konerko bring value in return? I'm not sure what KW is looking for, but, for example, I'd love to get one or two of the Dodgers top pitching prospects. These could either be kept in our system or used in another trade. Granted, those prospects would be tough to get, but the Dodgers have several of them. But pick out any example of a player that we'd like in return. The point is that at some salary level Konerko might be a desirable addition to their team.

lowesox
05-22-2004, 03:31 PM
I think the real prize on LA is Dave Roberts.

Does anybody know why he's on the DL right now? I've been dying for the Sox to make a play for this guy for a while. Although, I doubt LA would trade him, especially since he played a big part in their success early on.

samram
05-22-2004, 05:26 PM
OK, how much cash? We're 1/4 the way through the season, so I assume that means that he is still owed $6M this year and $8M next year. At what price would Konerko bring value in return? I'm not sure what KW is looking for, but, for example, I'd love to get one or two of the Dodgers top pitching prospects. These could either be kept in our system or used in another trade. Granted, those prospects would be tough to get, but the Dodgers have several of them. But pick out any example of a player that we'd like in return. The point is that at some salary level Konerko might be a desirable addition to their team.

Remember he also has an escalator contract in his clause if he gets traded, I believe. He's just not worth that type of money to a team looking to get rid of players because he is not a cornerstone to start a rebuilding effort around. He may, however, have more trade value at the deadline as a piece in a contender's puzzle, although I don't know how many good teams need a first baseman.

Cubbiesuck13
05-22-2004, 06:00 PM
how about jeff weaver? how much is he making? i think that he is going to be a really great pitcher, much better than he showed in NY.

lowesox
05-22-2004, 06:28 PM
FUnny, I was just thinking today how crappy Weaver is, and that I was so happy he never stayed with the Sox. Of course, I've been wrong about many a player in the past.