PDA

View Full Version : If I Know The Twins


Irishsox1
05-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Right now the Twins are thinking that the Sox beat them twice with a lot of starters hurt, but if they can take the next two, then the series was split and the Twins are back two games up. Last year in September, the Twins lost the first two and then came back to win the next two to split, then later swept the Sox to wrap up the division. I just hope the Sox keep the pressure on the Twins by pouring it on and not letting them up!! This is 3 years of getting kicked around by the Twins and I'm getting sick and tired of it. Hopefully Ozzie and the Sox are thinking the same thing.

Go Cotts!!

ma_deuce
05-22-2004, 12:00 AM
One huge difference this year... no Jerry Manuel. Go Sox!

:jerry

"Now that we have won the first two, we can afford to lose the last two."

soltrain21
05-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Bring em, they are playing like crap...

chisoxmike
05-22-2004, 12:03 AM
I agree. The Twins are going to come out and try and school Cotts tomorrow night. Hopefully the Sox will give him run support to keep the Sox in the game and the bullpen will hopefully be able to keep shutting the Twins down.

I like what I see, why stop now? GO SOX!!!!!!

:lsox

batmanZoSo
05-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Right now the Twins are thinking that the Sox beat them twice with a lot of starters hurt, but if they can take the next two, then the series was split and the Twins are back two games up. Last year in September, the Twins lost the first two and then came back to win the next two to split, then later swept the Sox to wrap up the division. I just hope the Sox keep the pressure on the Twins by pouring it on and not letting them up!! This is 3 years of getting kicked around by the Twins and I'm getting sick and tired of it. Hopefully Ozzie and the Sox are thinking the same thing.

Go Cotts!!

Odds are we're not gonna knock them around again tomorrow with Radke pitching. We're gonna have to play smart baseball tomorrow, no base running errors, no runners left in scoring position.

This is why I hate four game series. Normally we'd have this thing wrapped up but with two left, we can actually leave town the same way we came in--two games out. I won't be satisfied til we get that third win.

CHISOXFAN13
05-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Right now the Twins are thinking that the Sox beat them twice with a lot of starters hurt, but if they can take the next two, then the series was split and the Twins are back two games up. Last year in September, the Twins lost the first two and then came back to win the next two to split, then later swept the Sox to wrap up the division. I just hope the Sox keep the pressure on the Twins by pouring it on and not letting them up!! This is 3 years of getting kicked around by the Twins and I'm getting sick and tired of it. Hopefully Ozzie and the Sox are thinking the same thing.

Go Cotts!!


The Twins also were very motivated when Al Newman nearly lost his life. They were playing with heavy hearts down the stretch, and that definitely helped.

I may be in the minority when I say this, but this isn't the same Twins team we've grown accustomed to losing to. They play terrible defense and have a below average pitching staff that we have exploited in the last three games.

I'm expecting three strong from Cotts, two from Adkins, one from Politte, two from Marte and a save from Koch against their supposed ace.

owensmouth
05-22-2004, 01:54 AM
Ya know what? I don't give a rat's behind how poorly the Twins feel. Don't bother me with stories of how half of their team is on the DL. Tough luck Twinkies! That's baseball! That's life!

The reason that the Twins won the past two division championships can be traced to what we went through the latter half of the 2000 season.

Stop for a moment... name the White Sox starting rotation on June 15, 2000. Eldred, Sirotka, Parque, Baldwin. Every one of them had their arms operated on within a year. All of them gone.

It has taken the Sox three years to rebuild a starting staff that good, Two of them, Buehrle and Garland were already in the organization. Two of them, Schoenweis and Loaiza had to be imported.

Don't forget, we brought in one guy who ended up having back surgery (Wells).

The Twins are having bad luck? The Twins' success is a direct result of our misfortune. Like I said: Tough Luck Twinkies.

chisox06
05-22-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Ya know what? I don't give a rat's behind how poorly the Twins feel. Don't bother me with stories of how half of their team is on the DL. Tough luck Twinkies! That's baseball! That's life!

The reason that the Twins won the past two division championships can be traced to what we went through the latter half of the 2000 season.

Stop for a moment... name the White Sox starting rotation on June 15, 2000. Eldred, Sirotka, Parque, Baldwin. Every one of them had their arms operated on within a year. All of them gone.

It has taken the Sox three years to rebuild a starting staff that good, Two of them, Buehrle and Garland were already in the organization. Two of them, Schoenweis and Loaiza had to be imported.

Don't forget, we brought in one guy who ended up having back surgery (Wells).

The Twins are having bad luck? The Twins' success is a direct result of our misfortune. Like I said: Tough Luck Twinkies.

Very well put! I think the key to the next two games is our new manager. Not for his managerial skills but the fact that these players should smell blood and go for it the next two games instead of being content with a split, like the JM mentality of old. Lets keep it up sox, a 4 games sweep would be fantastic.

doublem23
05-22-2004, 02:22 AM
If I know the Twins the way I think I do, I bet they're having a pillow fight in the clubhouse right now.

ndgt10
05-22-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
If I know the Twins the way I think I do, I bet they're having a pillow fight in the clubhouse right now.

LMAO Doublem!

Railsplitter
05-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo


This is why I hate four game series. Normally we'd have this thing wrapped up but with two left, we can actually leave town the same way we came in--two games out. I won't be satisfied til we get that third win.

Splitting a four game series means you end up where you strated, only with four games left on the schedule. Good is you're ahead in September, bad if you're behind.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm a firm believer in not getting too high or too low after any single game, especially early in the year. Of course getting up for a series against an opponent you figure to need to beat to win the division is the big exception. That's something I doubt Jerry Manuel ever figured out.

We beat the Twins the first two games. Being happy now with anything less than winning three games is insufficient. These games count double in the standings so treat them as such.

And never, never EVER set your rotation to beat a team on track to lose 120 games-- especially in September when you're in a pennant chase. That's simply sacrificing wins by a different name only. That's stupidity, plain and simple.

Stupidity, plain and simple ----------> :jerry

Corlose 15
05-22-2004, 09:30 AM
I feel really good about this series so far, it reminds me a lot of the series in Yankee Stadium last year where the Sox pounded the Yankees twice. Lets see, who's pitching tonight...What!! Neal Cotts!!??
Dang it!!
:)

SSN721
05-22-2004, 09:41 AM
I am pretty confident we will get at least 3 games out of this series, which I think would be quite an accomplishment for this team considering the stigma of the garbage dome. But as stated above, I think this Twins team is weaker then previous years, but who cares, kick them when they're down like they have done to us over and over and over again. I would love to score 10-15 runs per game for the next to to really stick it to them. I dont think it possible but I just really want to make them look bad. Tonight is the only night I am kinda worried about just because I am not sure what Cotts will do when starting again. I have confidence but I just think it is a bad matchup with Radke. But as long as he gets the same run support I dont think it will matter. Lets get that sweep.

MRKARNO
05-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Radke's OK, but he isn't exactly what I'd call spectacular. In 5 of his 9 starts he's allowed 4 runs to scored (though two of them were unearned in one of them). Detroit has hit him pretty badly...twice. He did have a good outing against Anaheim though. Crede, Lee, Konerko and Maggs have had success against him in the past. Thomas not so much, but he's on fire now so you can probably throw that out the window unless his stomach ailment messed up his approach at the plate. The two pitchers who we will throw at them most likely (Adkins and Cotts) have done a great job so far this season. No reason to think we can't take this game, though I feel better about our chances in the Garland vs Santana game.

A. Cavatica
05-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Radke's OK, but he isn't exactly what I'd call spectacular.

Radke's the righthanded equivalent of Mike Sirotka (before the injury, that is). Steady, but beatable.

samram
05-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Radke's the righthanded equivalent of Mike Sirotka (before the injury, that is). Steady, but beatable.

Radke's 12-10 with a 4.52 ERA lifetime against the Sox- pretty much what you said- steady, but beatable. If you want to see the head-to-head breakdown of the Sox and Twins, look here (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/headtohead/team-headtohead/CHW/MIN).

Frankfan4life
05-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
I agree. The Twins are going to come out and try and school Cotts tomorrow night. Hopefully the Sox will give him run support to keep the Sox in the game and the bullpen will hopefully be able to keep shutting the Twins down.

I like what I see, why stop now? GO SOX!!!!!!


I like the way the Sox have played the first two games in this series. It's important that Ozzie keeps this team loose, pumped, and fearless. I was scared about how E-LO was going to perform against the Twins and he rose to the occasion. I hope Cotts will be able to do the same. GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

crector
05-22-2004, 12:10 PM
If I know the Twins, their GM Terry Ryan is going to do what he did last year when his team had a bad 1st half to the season: trade for the right kind of player that's needed to jump start his team. And no, it won't be Junior Griffey or any of the other subjects of Sox fan pipe dreams either. In other words, even if we sweep this series, the Twins can come roaring back later in August/September just like they did last year.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by crector
If I know the Twins, their GM Terry Ryan is going to do what he did last year when his team had a bad 1st half to the season: trade for the right kind of player that's needed to jump start his team. And no, it won't be Junior Griffey or any of the other subjects of Sox fan pipe dreams either. In other words, even if we sweep this series, the Twins can come roaring back later in August/September just like they did last year. It isn't time to discount the Twins by any means. We just look better right now, and at the right time. The Twins have done what they needed to do in the recent past, and they have a pretty darn good scouting department to make it happen. However, I am not going to buy into that these guys have some magical formual to win no matter what, and I'm not saying you do. I'm just stressing that every year is different, and I feel good about the Sox this year. But win this series or not, we have more work to do. But whatever moves the Twins make to better their club, assuming they do, you can be sure KW is thinking of a way to blow us out of the water. He'd do it now if he could, but other clubs aren't willing to make moves just yet. Even if we take off in a big way, KW's mind will switch over to how to make this club a playoff contender. I have no doubt that at the very least, we'll acquire a pretty solid pitcher to help us take the next step.

samram
05-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by crector
If I know the Twins, their GM Terry Ryan is going to do what he did last year when his team had a bad 1st half to the season: trade for the right kind of player that's needed to jump start his team. And no, it won't be Junior Griffey or any of the other subjects of Sox fan pipe dreams either. In other words, even if we sweep this series, the Twins can come roaring back later in August/September just like they did last year.

Good post. Joe Randa is a Twins type of guy if Koskie is out for a while. He's a rent-a-player who plays good defense, a Twins type of guy.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2004, 12:29 PM
The reports are that Joe Mays will also be back for the second half of the season.

Lip

Mohoney
05-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
The Twins also were very motivated when Al Newman nearly lost his life. They were playing with heavy hearts down the stretch, and that definitely helped.

I may be in the minority when I say this, but this isn't the same Twins team we've grown accustomed to losing to. They play terrible defense and have a below average pitching staff that we have exploited in the last three games.

I'm expecting three strong from Cotts, two from Adkins, one from Politte, two from Marte and a save from Koch against their supposed ace.

If Cotts goes only three innings (which I think is MAJORLY stupid and Manuel-esque if the guy is pitching well) I might be tempted to give Adkins three innings, give Kelly Wunsch the 7th inning and Mike Jackson the 8th. Let's keep Marte out so we can use him Sunday.

I don't think Garland will go 9 Sunday, and we'll need our late-inning guys.

Maybe Cotts can throw perfect through the 3rd, forcing Ozzie to do the right thing and keep him in.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
If Cotts goes only three innings (which I think is MAJORLY stupid and Manuel-esque if the guy is pitching well) I might be tempted to give Adkins three innings, give Kelly Wunsch the 7th inning and Mike Jackson the 8th. Let's keep Marte out so we can use him Sunday.

I don't think Garland will go 9 Sunday, and we'll need our late-inning guys.

Maybe Cotts can throw perfect through the 3rd, forcing Ozzie to do the right thing and keep him in. How is it the right thing if he can become injured doing so? Ozzie isn't making this up, it's a legitmate risk. Besides, with our pen pitching the way it is, it is an unnecessary risk at that. Cotts has a lot of value to us right now, and it would be stupid to damage that.