PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NBC 5 - Media Bias

BeerHandle
05-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Since Hagar 18 has been doing a great job viewing the Sun-Times and Tribune, I thought I would watch NBC 5 this week to see their coverage of the Sox and Cub.

Well, I was rather dissappointed. Mark S. obviuosly does not give equal coverage. I wish I kept a stop watch. I know it would have been 2-1, not in our favor.

Since the coverage was so biased I decided to send an email to Mark S.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark:

Good evening. I have watched your sports section every night this week. After watching the amount of coverage you have placed on the Cubs, I have to wonder if your editor or you have any relationship to the Cubs and WGN. The amount of coverage given to the Cubs and specifically the “messiah, Mark Prior” is a little over the top. Did you or your editor realize that the Sox are in a first place battle with the Twins? Who are the Cubs playing? Not the first place team in the division. Who are the Sox playing? Do I need to tell you?

On your sports section tonight, you had two clips on the Sox (might I add they won) and six clips on the Cubs (didn’t they lose?). The best was that you had a promo for your sports Sunday with Peggy and another reporter who will have reaction from Wrigley. I have to ask, why? I did not see anything about coverage of the post game coverage of the Sox – Twins game. Are you a Cubs fan? If so, that is fine, but please give equal coverage to the Cubs and Sox. By the way, the Sox are tied for first and the Cubs are in second.

A disappointed Chicago Sports Fan and NBC viewer!

Thank you for your time.

Irishsox1
05-21-2004, 11:45 PM
You could have also added that Irishsox1 thinks that you are the most boring monotone announcer in the Chicago market. Anytime after your favorite Chicago team has had a very exciting win and you need to calm down, just watch old Shanowski, that will bring you down faster that any drugs can. The guy is a total bore.

SOXSINCE'70
05-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Even coverage in this town?? You must be joking!!
The Sox are no media darlings thanks to Reisdorf messing up everyone's perceptions of this team by helping to cancel the 1994 WS (the truest shot the Sox have had at getting there in my 41 1/2 years on this planet) and then allowing the 1997 "White Flag" trade to take place.Who can forget his quote on the eve of the trade??
"Anyone who thinks this team can catch the Indians is crazy".
The Indians only had a 3 1/2 game lead in late July.

In my book,that's called giving up.And i'm a current weekend season ticket holder,by the way.

BeerHandle
05-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
You could have also added that Irishsox1 thinks that you are the most boring monotone announcer in the Chicago market. Anytime after your favorite Chicago team has had a very exciting win and you need to calm down, just watch old Shanowski, that will bring you down faster that any drugs can. The guy is a total bore.

I believe he is Polish and for that he is bringing down my Polish people! Is this a quote from Mark S. or what? "It is now 11:51 p.m. and the Cubs game has been over for 7 hours, but we have Ryan Baker live at Wrigley Field, Ryan tell us about K-Kid and the Messiah returning to the lineup" PLEASE!

Blueprint1
05-22-2004, 01:00 AM
I dont think that team could have won the division in 1997 i was for the white flag trade

GoSox2K3
05-22-2004, 10:16 AM
On the positive side, the WGN news last night had their sports teaser about the Sox as they went to commercial. In the sports segment, Rich King led off w/ the Sox win over the Twinkies. Allison Payne was cheering Rich's announcement that the Sox won. I changed the channel as soon as they were done w/ the Sox, so I don't know what they said about the baby bears.

iwannago
05-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
On the positive side, the WGN news last night had their sports teaser about the Sox as they went to commercial. In the sports segment, Rich King led off w/ the Sox win over the Twinkies. Allison Payne was cheering Rich's announcement that the Sox won. I changed the channel as soon as they were done w/ the Sox, so I don't know what they said about the baby bears.

Rich King should talk about the Sox. He went to high school across the street from Comiskey.

GoSox2K3
05-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by iwannago
Rich King should talk about the Sox. He went to high school across the street from Comiskey.

Not only that, but he used to be a Sox announcer for a season in the days of Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersal. He's a big Sox fan.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2004, 12:34 PM
King did the Sox for two years in 1980 and 1981. You can read his interview with WSI by going to the main page and clicking on the link WSI INTERVIEWS. It's directly below the 'baseball card of the week' feature on the far left side.

When the page comes up just click on the Rich King Interview.

Lip

Hangar18
05-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf cant Live Forever everyone .................
Just thought Id point that out :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

BeerHandle
05-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Jerry Reinsdorf cant Live Forever everyone .................
Just thought Id point that out :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I hope Brooks can start mkaing some impact! I like his attitude.

iwannago
05-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
King did the Sox for two years in 1980 and 1981. You can read his interview with WSI by going to the main page and clicking on the link WSI INTERVIEWS. It's directly below the 'baseball card of the week' feature on the far left side.

When the page comes up just click on the Rich King Interview.

Lip

Hey Lip, thanks for the info on the Rich King interview. I really enjoyed it.