PDA

View Full Version : Prospect watch 05/21/04

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 11:05 PM
http://milb.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=minorbaseball&page=milb-intl/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=13573

Reed went 3 for 6 with 2 homers and a double. He's only hitting .292, but he looks to be breaking out of that and if he's gonna start hitting for a bit more power then that .292 means a lot more.

Borchard slowed his hot-hitting ways but going 0 for 5.

Tetsu Yofu started and did not so great. Why can't this guy make the jump to AAA??

http://milb.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=minorbaseball&page=milb-car/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=11770

Sweeney went 1 for 5 and Anderson went 2 for 3 with a walk and a homer.

A. Cavatica
05-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I was at the Charlotte game tonight! Report follows.

I got there early, was glad to see Reed leading off and in CF. Game time arrived, and I really wanted to savor Reed's first at-bat. He took the first pitch (a strike). Just then the rightful owner of my seat showed up :-) and I had to move back a row. And immediately Reed hit his first homer to right...and I missed it!

In the bottom of the first, the leadoff man hit a liner to the center field wall. Reed made a great over-the-shoulder catch, crashed into the wall, held up the glove. Then he made the second putout on a lazy fly. At this point I was pretty sure he would go 5-for-5 with 5 homers and record all 27 putouts, but the next guy flied to left.

Reed led off the third with a gap double to right center, then popped out in the 5th. In the 7th, the Pawtucket manager brought in a lefty (Mark Malaska) just to face him. Reed hit his second homer...and, :angry:, someone distracted me at precisely the wrong moment. At this point everyone in the stadium thought Reed was Babe Ruth, but from what I'd seen, he could've been Mike Caruso. ;-)

Although Reed made one more great catch in center, he did have two misplays out there. He charged a liner to his right, did a full-extension dive, and didn't quite get there. The ball rolled to the wall for a triple. Later in the inning, Reed and Borchard (RF) collided going after a fly ball, allowing the run to score. I couldn't tell whose fault it was -- Borchard had the easier play but it looked like Reed was calling him off.

Borchard was useless at the plate and also let a ball get over his head.

Bryant Nelson was probably the only other player who impressed me tonight. He went 4-for-6 with 5 RBIs. Nice quick swing, ball jumped off his bat, could contribute if Harris or Uribe goes on the DL at some point.

According to the box score, Yofu had good stuff (10 strikeouts), but to me it looked like he was getting hit pretty hard. I suppose I may have been distracted during some of those strikeouts. :D:

Rex Hudler
05-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
I was at the Charlotte game tonight! Report follows.

I got there early, was glad to see Reed leading off and in CF. Game time arrived, and I really wanted to savor Reed's first at-bat. He took the first pitch (a strike). Just then the rightful owner of my seat showed up :-) and I had to move back a row. And immediately Reed hit his first homer to right...and I missed it!

In the bottom of the first, the leadoff man hit a liner to the center field wall. Reed made a great over-the-shoulder catch, crashed into the wall, held up the glove. Then he made the second putout on a lazy fly. At this point I was pretty sure he would go 5-for-5 with 5 homers and record all 27 putouts, but the next guy flied to left.

Reed led off the third with a gap double to right center, then popped out in the 5th. In the 7th, the Pawtucket manager brought in a lefty (Mark Malaska) just to face him. Reed hit his second homer...and, :angry:, someone distracted me at precisely the wrong moment. At this point everyone in the stadium thought Reed was Babe Ruth, but from what I'd seen, he could've been Mike Caruso. ;-)

Although Reed made one more great catch in center, he did have two misplays out there. He charged a liner to his right, did a full-extension dive, and didn't quite get there. The ball rolled to the wall for a triple. Later in the inning, Reed and Borchard (RF) collided going after a fly ball, allowing the run to score. I couldn't tell whose fault it was -- Borchard had the easier play but it looked like Reed was calling him off.

Borchard was useless at the plate and also let a ball get over his head.

Bryant Nelson was probably the only other player who impressed me tonight. He went 4-for-6 with 5 RBIs. Nice quick swing, ball jumped off his bat, could contribute if Harris or Uribe goes on the DL at some point.

According to the box score, Yofu had good stuff (10 strikeouts), but to me it looked like he was getting hit pretty hard. I suppose I may have been distracted during some of those strikeouts. :D:

Just think........ all of that could have been avoided if you would have only sat in the seats you purchased....... what a concept! lol