PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Post game thread 5-21-04

Daver
05-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Two down, two to go.......

Nard
05-21-2004, 09:38 PM
When we sweep them by an average of 7 runs a game will the trade talks curb?

HomeFish
05-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Our last four-game set against the Twins started the same way.

At least Takatsu did a better job than Paniagua.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Pitching remains dominant while the offense remains en fuego. :gulp:

The bullpen should be rested to support Cotts tomorrow. If they can get through tomorrow, they will be set up nicely to gun for the sweep. :gulp:

Tied for first place! :gulp:

I'll drink to all three! :)

Bucktown
05-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish

Thanks for reminding me of that. Paiaqua was a KW special. That is why I cringe when I hear he is working hard to "improve" the team.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2004, 09:42 PM

Geez, HomeFish. You make Lip seem like a pollyanna! :D:

dan
05-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Oh man. Did you guys see the Sox bats tonight? I mean, yeah, they score ten more runs and we expect them to falter and fail miserably. Wow. Timo Perez is pretty good, especially for a guy they traded away Matt Ginter for. The most impressive thing was Juan Uribe just hitting so consistently, and also showing some patience at the plate with a walk. Overall, the effort was really solid, and the pitching continues to impress. GO SOX WIN, Beat the Twin. (yeah. bad grammar. I know.)

elrod
05-21-2004, 09:44 PM
The Twins defense looked atrocious. They made a few nice plays - Lew Ford especially (favorite for Rookie of the Year, I think). Justin Morneau, the "stud" first basemen looked awful. The Sox took advantage nicely.

One funny thing was Carlos Silva trying to hit Lee. I am a big proponent of throwing inside, something Buehrle did well all night. But throwing behind a guy after you've blown the game is pure desperation. I doubt Gardenhire was impressed.

beckett21
05-21-2004, 09:44 PM

If I had a picture of a door, I would show it to you now.....

raul12
05-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Twins have good defense?!?!?! That's 6 big ole' E's in two games. Looks like they are the ones pulling the big choke this time. Way to see us giving them the ole' 1-2.

:kermit

raul12
05-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

took the words right out of my mouth. how 'bout some prozac there Homefish. Sheesh. You listen to the blues by chance?

beckett21
Where are all the *this offense sucks* threads now?

:?:

MRKARNO

Our last four game set was at home with 3 more left in minnesota. Considering that we dont have any more games against Minny for the time being I think that's less relevant. Plus it seems we have broken the curse of the baggy-dome. We have as many wins now as we did all last year I believe.

HomeFish, why must you be irrationally pessimistic? You still give no reason or evidence as to why you are so pessimistic. I am really sick of you and you're stupid idiotic Pessimism.

What, 4 days ago we were 3 games out and maybe some people agreed with you, but in the matter of 4 games we've climbed back to a tie against the Twins. We've won four in a row, which I think is our longest win streak of the year or close to it and you're taking this as a time to be pessimistic.

What is a sign of optimism for you? If the Sox won the World Series in 5 games you'd probably be talking about how we are a disgrace for not winning in 4.

raul12
05-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by beckett21

Homefish hasn't seen this thread yet. Just you wait.

beckett21
05-21-2004, 09:49 PM
It's not only the wins themselves, but the way we are winning which is truly impressive.

This team now seems to *get it* .

Consider it a message.

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 09:49 PM
If I had a picture of a door, I would show it to you now.....

http://www.cincinnatiobservatory.org/latespring/door.jpg

voodoochile
05-21-2004, 09:50 PM

And he makes HomeFish sound like a

:troll

MRKARNO
Originally posted by raul12
Homefish hasn't seen this thread yet. Just you wait.

Oh you must have missed his post comparing this series to the one at the cell last year and comparing Takatsu to Paniagua.

beckett21
Thanks MRK!

:)

raul12
05-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Oh you must have missed his post comparing this series to the one at the cell last year and comparing Takatsu to Paniagua.

A thread got joined to the *official* post game thread. The thread nazis are making me look foolish!!!! :D:

voodoochile
05-21-2004, 09:52 PM
http://www.cincinnatiobservatory.org/latespring/door.jpg

That is one impressive door...

Nard
The Twins will never return to Earth. I mean, look at that clutch hitting tonight!

Oh wait, that's right, clutch hitting is impossible against the main man SHINGO TAKATSU.

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/js/photo/shingo_takatsu.jpg
"YOU GOT SERVED"

MRKARNO
Thanks MRK!

I'm as frustrated with HomeFish as you right now. We shouldn't be talking about some idiot pessimist after the Sox took 2 of the first two in Minny. We should be talking about Jose and Timo's massive homers to right field or Buehrle's solid outing or SHingo's awesome relief effort or the fact that WE'RE TIED FOR FIRST PLACE!!!!!!

MRKARNO
Originally posted by voodoochile
That is one impressive door...

He earned it.

voodoochile
05-21-2004, 09:53 PM

A thread got joined to the *official* post game thread. The thread nazis are making me look foolish!!!! :D:

That would be me. Not intended to make you look bad, the threads just needed to be merged. Dan's post belonged here. You just were quick on the response.

beckett21
05-21-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm as frustrated with HomeFish as you right now. We shouldn't be talking about some idiot pessimist after the Sox took 2 of the first two in Minny. We should be talking about Jose and Timo's massive homers to right field or Buehrle's solid outing or SHingo's perfect relief effort or the fact that WE'RE TIED FOR FIRST PLACE!!!!!!

You are correct. Now is the time to revel in our glory!

:supernana:

voodoochile
I'm as frustrated with HomeFish as you right now. We shouldn't be talking about some idiot pessimist after the Sox took 2 of the first two in Minny. We should be talking about Jose and Timo's massive homers to right field or Buehrle's solid outing or SHingo's perfect relief effort or the fact that WE'RE TIED FOR FIRST PLACE!!!!!!

You should have that inscribed on the door... :D:

doublem23

What can you do? His beloved Twins looked terrible in another one.

raul12
05-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That would be me. Not intended to make you look bad, the threads just needed to be merged. Dan's post belonged here. You just were quick on the response.

Wasn't meant as a dig on you. I totally understand trying to keep costs down. (as I post a meaningless post!)

elrod
05-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Sox beat Twins at the Dome. Cards beat Cubs at Wrigley. Great day!

HomeFish
Originally posted by doublem23
What can you do? His beloved Twins looked terrible in another one.

I have no problems with being derrided for being pessimistic, but that's taking it too far. Insinuating that I am a Twins fan is simply an insult.

voodoochile
Wasn't meant as a dig on you. I totally understand trying to keep costs down. (as I post a meaningless post!)

Less about costs and more about organization. Let all the WOOHOO what a game posts go in one thread and then we can all revel together... well, not homefish, but not everyone can actually be happy when their supposed favorite team stomps their main rival two games in a row on the road to grab a piece of first place... though why that is the case, I will never understand...

voodoochile
05-21-2004, 09:58 PM
I have no problems with being derrided for being pessimistic, but that's taking it too far. Insinuating that I am a Twins fan is simply an insult.

translation: :whiner: :whiner:

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 10:00 PM

Well you seem to be more enthusiastic about the Twins than our resident Twins fan Fhqwghads

Lip Man 1
05-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Can't do any worse then a split which considering the way the Sox have played in Minnesota the past few years is not bad at all.

Lip

beckett21
05-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Well you seem to be more enthusiastic about the Twins than our resident Twins fan Fhqwghads

Yeah, I was wondering when he was going to check in tonite....not yet.....hmmmmmm..........

:twinslose

:notwinks

Oh well, must be a sore loser....at least we are gracious winners!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

voodoochile
05-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Can't do any worse then a split which considering the way the Sox have played in Minnesota the past few years is not bad at all.

Lip

Whoa, Lip, what's with the unbridled enthusiasm... :D:

Just joking, Lip. That last post was practically giddy by your standards...

:bandance:<--------------------Lip

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 10:11 PM

Lip

Definately Lip. I was thinking before this series started that we'd probably split the games due to a combination of our badness in that dome and the way we'd been playing lately. In my heart I said 3, but rationally I decided we'd split. I think we'll end up taking the Garland game with tomorrow being the game we're most likely to lose, but we might take 4.

I think it was you who Lip said that taking 3 of 4 would do wonders for the confidence of this team. They have now put themselves in a position where if they split the next two then they have done just that. I think that says a lot about the positive change this team has gone through this year. If somehow we were able to take 4, which is not nearly out of reach, it might do irreperable harm to the season and could propel us to a runaway victory. It would be that good.

Lip Man 1
05-21-2004, 10:17 PM
I think it will be tough to beat both Radke and Santana especially with the 'bullpen by committee' game tomorrow but we'll see.

Lip

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 10:20 PM
I think it will be tough to beat both Radke and Santana especially with the 'bullpen by committee' game tomorrow but we'll see.

Lip

Well I think you're right that the two starters we've faced so far are jokes. It will be tough to take the next two, but I think we have a better chance to win than the Twins in the Santana game because of the way the two pitchers have been going lately, but the Bradke-Bullpen matchup will be a tough one to win. If we take that one then I'm convinced that we can throw any of our pitchers out there on this staff and they wont give up too many runs.

mdep524
05-21-2004, 10:26 PM

Whoa, whoa...let's not get complacent here. I still think one of Lee or Konerko has to go, these past few games notwithstanding. Just as the team's slump from last week didn't last forever neither will this offensive barrage, and at that time we'll need to scratch and claw some wins out. That will be a true test for this team.

Still, how impressive is it to beat the Twins by a touchdown two nights in a row....with Maggs out one night at Frank out the next?!? That's impressive! :D: :D: :gulp:

One thing's for sure, when these guys are clickin', there's no beating them. :)

mdep524
05-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Also, it seems like Buehrle has turned the corner for the season, and that makes me happiest of all.

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
Also, it seems like Buehrle has turned the corner for the season, and that makes me happiest of all.

He did have some iffy moments in the middle part of his outing, but he was able to limit the damage to 1 run in those innings and gave up that meaningless homer to Cuddyer.

doublem23
05-21-2004, 10:28 PM

It's still a long, long season. I don't think he's going to have outings like this the rest of the way, but it is good to see him pitching this well against the Twinks.

Brian26
05-21-2004, 10:30 PM

Don't bring back any painful memories.

Brian26
05-21-2004, 10:34 PM
We've won four in a row, which I think is our longest win streak of the year or close to it and you're taking this as a time to be pessimistic.

It is indeed our longest winning streak.

beckett21
05-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Whoa, whoa...let's not get complacent here. I still think one of Lee or Konerko has to go, these past few games notwithstanding. Just as the team's slump from last week didn't last forever neither will this offensive barrage, and at that time we'll need to scratch and claw some wins out. That will be a true test for this team.

Still, how impressive is it to beat the Twins by a touchdown two nights in a row....with Maggs out one night at Frank out the next?!? That's impressive! :D: :D: :gulp:

One thing's for sure, when these guys are clickin', there's no beating them. :)

The truth is obviously somewhere in between. Of course they are not going to score 8 runs a night. But people were ready to jump off ledges last week and dismantle the team.

I still think what this team needs is a 5th starter above all else. Comments were being made to the effect that *we don't need another starter because we can't even score 2 runs a game*

Preposterous. Offense is still the strength of this team. The pitching is a pleasant and welcome surprise. But you never have enough pitching.

1951Campbell
05-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Man, there's been some pendulum punditry here lately...and some manic depressive BS. Can we all just admit that it's not over yet, and that maybe the Sox can hang tough with the Twins? Can we do that now?

mdep524
05-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
It's still a long, long season. I don't think he's going to have outings like this the rest of the way, but it is good to see him pitching this well against the Twinks.

Well, this is 3 very strong outings in a row, including a stretch of about 15 consecutive scoreless innings at one point. That's a pretty good sign.