PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Team

Kittle83ROY
05-21-2004, 08:02 PM
The 1983 team is special to me. I'm surprised there isn't something on the main website about the Winning Ugly team. I do remember the Southside Hitman of 1977 but the 83 team with Kittle, Greg Walker, Julio, Pink Floyd, Hoyt, and the rest team that brought Chicago it's first championship since 63.

Brian26
05-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Agree with everything you say-

But I've never heard Bannister referred to as "Pink Floyd". That's a new one to me.

Daver
05-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Kittle83ROY
The 1983 team is special to me. I'm surprised there isn't something on the main website about the Winning Ugly team. I do remember the Southside Hitman of 1977 but the 83 team with Kittle, Greg Walker, Julio, Pink Floyd, Hoyt, and the rest team that brought Chicago it's first championship since 63.

Try here. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/1983.htm)

Lip Man 1
05-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Or here.....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2321

Enjoy the audio moments!

Lip

rmusacch
05-21-2004, 11:42 PM

I loved that team. I was 8 years old, living in Dallas.

WinningUgly!
05-22-2004, 12:06 AM

I never really cared much for the '83 Sox. :)

batmanZoSo
05-22-2004, 12:16 AM
I'm glad I was in diapers that year....hopefully I'll get out of them soon :smile:

In 93 we got beat by a pretty good team, and in 2000 we probably weren't going to win it all anyway...plus in these times it's so hard to do it with three series to win. Back then it's just a 5 game series then you're in it. I can't imagine the pain of 83...Burns pitched 9 shutout innings and the Sox had so many chances all game, then lost in extras. Had they just gotten one run in that game they would've probably won the world series. There was no way Hoyt was gonna lose game 5 and the Phillies sure didn't put up a fight against Baltimore.

Kittle83ROY
05-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Agree with everything you say-

But I've never heard Bannister referred to as "Pink Floyd". That's a new one to me.

Of course after the rock band Pink Floyd, it was natural. He was the big name free agent and the White Sox got him. He struggled during the first half but pitched well in the second.

I remember Rick Dempsey and Kittle going at it during the ALCS.

BTW somebody said that Dempsey was the only player in the 80's who won a WS with two different teams. Orioles in 83 and Dodgers in 88. Is that true? There's gotta be somebody else who won with two teams.

Kittle83ROY
05-22-2004, 01:21 AM

BTW somebody said that Dempsey was the only player in the 80's who won a WS with two different teams. Orioles in 83 and Dodgers in 88. Is that true? There's gotta be somebody else who won with two teams.

Forget it. Keith Hernandez also won a WS with two different teams. Cardinals in 82 and Mets in 86.

Maybe Dempsey the only player during the 80's who won a WS with two teams in both leagues?

Trivia: Gotta love it.

Medford Bobby
05-22-2004, 01:54 AM
Funny I don't get nostalgic for that team. I was living in Bratland but would listen to the Sox games while at work. I t might be that they won the division convincingly, then tanked in the playoffs took off the luster....but I can't put my finger why I don't think of this team often in great Sox teams....I really feel more nostalgic for the 1990 club....maybe a combo of last year of the Ole park and a real good fun club to watch...........now 1993 I like alot because it was a team generated from the 1990 and beyond...... :D:

Ya know I wonder if that club would have been fun on the radio if Harry was still there...........hmmmmmmmmmmm?

vegyrex
05-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
Funny I don't get nostalgic for that team. I was living in Bratland but would listen to the Sox games while at work. I t might be that they won the division convincingly, then tanked in the playoffs took off the luster....but I can't put my finger why I don't think of this team often in great Sox teams....I really feel more nostalgic for the 1990 club....maybe a combo of last year of the Ole park and a real good fun club to watch...........now 1993 I like alot because it was a team generated from the 1990 and beyond...... :D:

Ya know I wonder if that club would have been fun on the radio if Harry was still there...........hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Yeah that 1990 team was great to watch. I was living in Boston at the time and my Aunt would send me videos of Sox games. The funny thing is even though I lived 1,000 miles away I still managed to see 5 games(two at Fenway and three at Comiskey. Including the final game at Comiskey)

My overall fave team has to be the '94 Sox.

What might have been. *sighs*

Corlose 15
05-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Forget it. Keith Hernandez also won a WS with two different teams. Cardinals in 82 and Mets in 86.

Maybe Dempsey the only player during the 80's who won a WS with two teams in both leagues?

Trivia: Gotta love it.

Nope. Kirk Gibson won with the Tigers in 84 and the Dodgers in 88.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2004, 12:41 PM
If any of you are interested WSI has done interviews with 1983 team members Ron Kittle, Vance Law and Jerry Koosman.

Just look for the link on the far left side of the main page called WSI INTERVIEWS, you can find it directly under the 'baseball card of the week' feature.

Click on it and it will take you to where the interviews are stored. We have two pages of listings. Then just click on the name of the player that you want to read.

Lip

Wsoxmike59
05-22-2004, 03:19 PM
KittleROY83, last time I was out at U.S. Cellular Field they ran a promo or commercial on the jumbo-tron for a DVD about the 20 year reunion of the '83 Division winning White Sox. Winning Ugly 20 years later or something to that effect was the title. It was supposedly loaded with interviews and highlights from that season and the subsequent 20 year reunion weekend in Chicago.

I went into the Gift Shop looking for it, but the gal behind the counter said it wasn't in yet and should be in on one of the future homestands.

Did anybody else catch that promo or were able to buy it yet?

Brian26
05-22-2004, 04:35 PM

Off the top of my head, Kirk Gibson won it with the Tigers in '84 and LA in '88.

Brian26
05-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
Did anybody else catch that promo or were able to buy it yet?

It was at Soxfest and is in the gift shop now. It's produced by "Einhorn Entertainment", seriously. (just to let you know where your money is going)

beckett21
05-22-2004, 05:46 PM
I'd have to honestly say that the '83 team was my favorite too. My first taste of White Sox postseason ball. I was in junior high at the time, and remember the teacher wheeling in a t.v. to watch one of the games.

Man that season was a heartbreaker in the end. But what a dominant performance to run away with the division. That's the kind of stuff we should be doing now. Not squeaking by, just rolling over people.

I remember the last game I went to that year, it was in September against the Angels. Britt Burns threw a one-hitter, gave up a single in the 7th inning IIRC. Sox won 13-0, with back2back2back homers I am not exactly sure but I think from Kemp, Luzinski, and Kittle. I wrote it on the ticket stub, if only I could find it! :(:

Railsplitter
05-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Off the top of my head, Kirk Gibson won it with the Tigers in '84 and LA in '88.

Wasn't there a guy on the Phillies in '80, the Cards in '82 and the Royals in '85.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2004, 09:36 PM
It was Fisk, Luzinski and Paciorek going back to back to back off former Sox star pitcher Tommy John. (I've got the highlights...)

Lip

beckett21
05-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It was Fisk, Luzinski and Paciorek going back to back to back off former Sox star pitcher Tommy John. (I've got the highlights...)

Lip

Well I was close!

Thanks for setting that straight for me Lip, it was bothering me. I did seem to think Paciorek was involved, but it is somewhat of a clouded memory. I do remember Burns pitched one helluva game. You wouldn't happen to know who got the hit off him, would you? Was it Gary Pettis? IIRC it was leading off the 7th inning, I think Burns may have even been perfect thru 6 but I may be wrong there.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2004, 10:28 PM
The game was on September 9, 1983.

Mike Brown (who'd finish with a .231 average) singled with two outs in the 7th inning. It was California's only hit and they made five errors that game!

Lip

beckett21
05-22-2004, 10:41 PM

Mike Brown (who'd finish with a .231 average) singled with two outs in the 7th inning. It was California's only hit and they made five errors that game!

Lip

Thanks for the info Lip. You are a veritable encyclopedia of White Sox knowledge! I don't remember the 5 errors, nor Mike Brown. I do remember really hoping for a no-no though, Burns was dealing that night. When he was on he could be so overpowering.

Best game I ever attended.

At least I'm glad to know that the game actually took place and I didn't dream the whole experience! :D:

Oh to have Britt Burns right now...

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 10:44 PM

Lip Geez, how old are you guys? :D:

beckett21
05-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Geez, how old are you guys? :D:

Shut up and pass me the prune juice, junior!

:)

Kittle83ROY
05-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by beckett21

I remember the last game I went to that year, it was in September against the Angels. Britt Burns threw a one-hitter, gave up a single in the 7th inning IIRC. Sox won 13-0, with back2back2back homers I am not exactly sure but I think from Kemp, Luzinski, and Kittle. I wrote it on the ticket stub, if only I could find it! :(:

Steve Kemp left the White Sox as a free agent after the 82 team. That opened up LF for a rookie who had a monster year at AAA in 82, wore glasses, had some injuries problems in the minors. He had a pretty good year in 83, don't you think?

How can you forget about him????? :smile:

beckett21
05-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Steve Kemp left the White Sox as a free agent after the 82 team. That opened up LF for a rookie who had a monster year at AAA in 82, wore glasses, had some injuries problems in the minors. He had a pretty good year in 83, don't you think?

How can you forget about him????? :smile:

Oops....for some reason I always associate Kemp with that '83 team. Force of habit I guess.

Who are we talking about anyway, Daryl Boston?

:)