PDA

View Full Version : Twins Victory Sports One

Lip Man 1
05-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Interesting story in The Sporting News this week talking about the demise of Victory Sports One the in state TV network started by the Pohlad family.

The network folded after just 26 games, that were blacked out to non subscribers (which was most of the state.) The Pohlad family was forced to break down and agree to the price set by Fox Sports North and signed a new eight year deal.

The biggest cable networks in the state failed to buy into the deal because the only other property they had was Minnesota men's basketball. The Pohlad's wanted the T-Wolves to come on board but only offered them 33 percent ownership so they passed.

The story says they hoped to bank 50 million a year instead it dropped millions in six months. (Sounds like SportsVision doesn't it???)

The story ends with an ironic note. Apparently the same time Victory was a no show, a bill for a new publicly funded Twins stadium in Minneapolis stalled... doomed by an amendment that required 135 games to be available to 70 percent of the cable/satellite subscribers in Minnesota.

Looks like the Twins will be forced to remain in the Metrodome. And don't underestimate what this might mean to the franchise again when the 'contraction' clause expires in the CBA and the MLBPA no longer has any legal recourse when (or if) the contraction issue asrises agin. (Personally I think it's a lock to...)

Lip

pudge
05-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Wonder what this means for the upcoming Chicago sports network?

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Little because it's a joint venture with the company who provides a lot of the cable for the Chicago area (Comcast)

Lip Man 1
05-21-2004, 10:31 PM
And they have at least four pro properties involved plus they may be able to secure rights to college football / baseketball games as well. They should be fine.

Lip

gosox41
05-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Interesting story in The Sporting News this week talking about the demise of Victory Sports One the in state TV network started by the Pohlad family.

The network folded after just 26 games, that were blacked out to non subscribers (which was most of the state.) The Pohlad family was forced to break down and agree to the price set by Fox Sports North and signed a new eight year deal.

The biggest cable networks in the state failed to buy into the deal because the only other property they had was Minnesota men's basketball. The Pohlad's wanted the T-Wolves to come on board but only offered them 33 percent ownership so they passed.

The story says they hoped to bank 50 million a year instead it dropped millions in six months. (Sounds like SportsVision doesn't it???)
The story ends with an ironic note. Apparently the same time Victory was a no show, a bill for a new publicly funded Twins stadium in Minneapolis stalled... doomed by an amendment that required 135 games to be available to 70 percent of the cable/satellite subscribers in Minnesota.

Looks like the Twins will be forced to remain in the Metrodome. And don't underestimate what this might mean to the franchise again when the 'contraction' clause expires in the CBA and the MLBPA no longer has any legal recourse when (or if) the contraction issue asrises agin. (Personally I think it's a lock to...)

Lip

It's not mentioned often here, but for a team that's won the division the last 2 seasons, they don't draw all that well. COnsdier that a city like Cleveland was selling out a whole season when they were good, yet Minnesota is averaging about 21K. I don't know which city is bigger, but my guess is Cleveland is not twice as big as the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.

I just wanted to mention of this for two reasons: 1. The Sox take a lot of flak for bad attendance and they haven't won jack in 4 years and 2. maybe there's something more to this TV deal folding apart that correlates with low attendance at the Metrodome.

Bob

Medford Bobby
05-22-2004, 02:02 AM
Funny I thought this was brought up a few weeks back.....I don't see a problem in Chicago.....hopefully they will show old games during the winter. I can't take late night poker and skinny chick volleyball anymore..................

Hope they don't hire any FSN people, that Damen Andrew guy should be sent straight to ESPN and make that even more unwatchable........

They should hire some WSI guys for some "fan" perspective.....

Besides nobody cares about the Twins and the Pohland family should still fold that club.......... :whiner:

Lip Man 1
05-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Bob:

I found out more info on the cable net the Pohlad's were trying to form. Part of the problem was that they were asking for 'unreasonable' fees from cable providers in the state of Minnesota for the right to show the games. (Naturally the Pohlad's are no different from 90 per cent of the other owners!)

Literally over 75% of the cable systems in Minnesota said 'no,' they were not going to be held hostage and refused to pay the rights fee.

When the Pohlad's tried to strong arm the T-Wolves in essence saying 'we want you to be our partner but we'll only give you 33% ownership,' that basically ended any chance they had since the T-Wolves are very popular in the state.

They got greedy and it cost them dearly.

Again I'm sure that they will be contracted after the CBA ends in 06. They still don't have a new stadium and still have the same owner who stated he'd rather take MLB's money and fold the team, then have to keep paying to try to win.

New ownership of course, might change this assumption.

Lip

Hangar18
05-22-2004, 02:31 PM

.................... They still don't have a new stadium and still have the same owner who stated he'd rather take MLB's money and fold the team, then have to keep paying to try to win.

Lip

Hmmmmmmm for those who Dont believe in conspiracy theories,
This event cements the MOTIVE for not picking a certain Messiah...

kermittheefrog
05-22-2004, 03:57 PM
I think the funny part about this is that the Twins are the only team that might legitimately need a new stadium since the Viking control the luxury boxes in the Metrodome.

ewokpelts
05-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by pudge

nothing at all...comcast is pulling all the stops out for this joint venture....WITH FOUR PROFESSIONAL TEAMS IN THE 2ND LARGEST SPORTS MARKET IN AMERICA....comcast from the get go said they want to put the channel in as many homes as possible(more profit)
Gene

ewokpelts
05-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think the funny part about this is that the Twins are the only team that might legitimately need a new stadium since the Viking control the luxury boxes in the Metrodome.

tjhat's why the padres left jack murphy stadium
Gene

ewokpelts
05-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hmmmmmmm for those who Dont believe in conspiracy theories,
This event cements the MOTIVE for not picking a certain Messiah...

no motive....ownership's cheep
Gene

ma-gaga
05-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Literally over 75% of the cable systems in Minnesota said 'no,' they were not going to be held hostage and refused to pay the rights fee.
Again I'm sure that they will be contracted after the CBA ends in 06. They still don't have a new stadium and still have the same owner who stated he'd rather take MLB's money and fold the team, then have to keep paying to try to win.

Some thoughts here. The Chicago station will succeed because they have Comcast on board. Victory Sports's critical mistake was that they didn't get any of the Twin Cities Cable/Satellite companies on board before they started. They pretty much all united against Victory, and the stadium bill forced them to go back to Fox.

I don't know whom is worse, Pohlad or Murdoch. All things considered, I'd rather plow my money into a local company than Fox Sports Net.

The 75% number is right. But I think it was even worse than that. The 25% of systems that didn't carry Victory served the Twin Cities area, which probably has 90% of this state's population.

The dark side of me thinks that Victory was never a viable network. The Twins knew that once the T-Wolves bailed on them. And then it was used to get a better TV deal from FSN. Imagine that, an owner 'fabricating' competetion to up his teams' value.

"Contraction" is a dirty word, and it's a threat. Nobody takes kindly to threats anymore. I would rather lose the Twins than be strong armed into a bad deal. It sounds like the new threat for the greedy owners who can no longer use relocation as a viable leverage in getting their new stadiums/public dollars. Relocation has completely run out of steam. There's no open markets to threaten a baseball team with anymore. Washington DC is about it, but Angelos continues to threaten litigation whenever that comes up. Portland Baseball? Maybe. Highly unlikely. The Twins have already tried "selling" to the North Carolina Triad group a couple of years back. That thing fell apart pretty spectacularly... I think we are stuck with the team in the Metrodome, until Pohlad sells, or a better deal comes along, or some natural disaster hits the dome. please please please, a tornado right down the middle...

IIRC, the Twin Cities is slightly bigger than Cleveland, but very comparible. However, the stadiums are completely different, so simply comparing attendance of Clevelands' 1995-1999 run to the Twins current one, isn't quite telling the whole story.

There's a lot sour with the ownership of baseball teams. I don't know of any good way of fixing it.

Daver
05-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Ma, I could tell you how to solve the dome problem, but not publicly.

:)