PDA

View Full Version : Should Frank stay #3?

Wanne
05-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Personally, I like Frank batting in the 3 slot rather than cleanup. I know the thinking was having Mags get on base and with his speed would score if Frank hits the ball in the gap...but how many times has that actually happened. I just feel that Frank's more comfortable there as well. Curious to see what Oz does when Mags is back in the lineup. And I know it's only one game...but I really liked that lineup last night and gave me a glimpse of what this team would be without Mags...the sky wouldn't be falling.

I vote keep Frank at 3.

Baby Fisk
05-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Good point. I remember thinking all last night that maybe this was finally the return of the VIP BIG HURT OF YORE. Didn't realize that the 3-spot may have had something to do with it. I'm not a fan of tinkering, tho. Maggs is among AL leaders in RBIs (31), so it's not like he's been useless in the 3-spot.

Still, IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK, BIG HURT!

:hurt
"I ain't never been gone, my babies."

Mickster
05-21-2004, 11:23 AM
I'll vote let's leave him at 4 for a bit more before making any changes. This offense hasn't really "clicked" yet this year sans a game here or there. The last 2 games have certainly looked very promising and the offense is performing like we expected at the beginning of the year. Should Willie and Uribe keep going at this clip, Maggs and CLee find their groove, the Hurt could very well have a magical season. Too soon to make the change, though.

poorme
05-21-2004, 11:31 AM
I don't really care as long as someone gives him some protection in the lineup.

How about a decent lefthanded hitter that could pull the ball between 2B and the 1B keeping Frank from stealing ?

bartmanisgod
05-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Frank would have had four hits in the 9 spot last night! He's just swinging the bat that well. In the 4 hole against Cleveland he had a 3 hit game as well! I especially like him in the 4 hole because now that he is swinging the bat well...Maggs will be seeing some fastballs right down the pipe! If Maggs is playing tonight watch for him to have a 2 or 3 hit night just based of what Frank did last night.

Deadguy
05-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Don't really care where he hits in the lineup, I just hope he keeps his road production and BA with RISP up. Before the last two games, both were absolutely dreadful.

The last three years, Thomas has been great at home, and poor on the road. It may have to do with his DH status, as the only times I can really remember Thomas being productive on the road were during the interleague games last year, and late last August, when it seemed like Thomas was hitting a homerun every game. If he can put it together on the road, he may be able to lead the league in OPS.

owensmouth
05-21-2004, 11:38 AM
I know that I was wondering the same thing. Remember, Frank was batting fourth two nights ago when he started on this tear.

The one thing that I've noticed since he and Magglio have switched spots is that Maggs isn't hitting into so many DPs. Part of that may be because Frank isn't on first in front of him, but it may also be because of the pitches he sees batting ahead of the Big Hurt are a little straighter.

Basically, the suggestion for him to bat cleanup came from Frank and Magglio. If they still feel it should be Maggs third and Frank fourth, I'll go along with it.

A.T. Money
05-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Leave Frank at 4. Like someone already said, it wouldn't have mattered where Frank batted last night.

He had a 3 hit day in the 4 spot in Cleveland. It makes no difference.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Leave him where he is. There's no reason to start tinkering with the lineup, not when the offense is finally showing signs of life.

:jerry

"No tinkering? Where's the fun in that?"

Hangar18
05-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Leave him where he is. There's no reason to start tinkering with the lineup, not when the offense is finally showing signs of life.

:jerry

"No tinkering? Where's the fun in that?"

It is Compelling that he hit the Daylites out of the ball in the 3 hole, but I agree, lets not Tinker ourselves ........
And Bench Crede for a while and get GLOAD IN THE LINEUP SOMEHOW

sas1974
05-21-2004, 12:04 PM
I hope all of the folks that were saying Frank isn't a leader have been watching the last few games. THAT is what a leader is! He has the ability to put this entire team on his back and carry them.

onenine19
05-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
It is Compelling that he hit the Daylites out of the ball in the 3 hole, but I agree, lets not Tinker ourselves ........
And Bench Crede for a while and get GLOAD IN THE LINEUP SOMEHOW
I agree! Put Gload in Center and Uribe at third.

SSN721
05-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I hope all of the folks that were saying Frank isn't a leader have been watching the last few games. THAT is what a leader is! He has the ability to put this entire team on his back and carry them.

I completely agree, thats why I feel he must finish his career here, I really hope he has a special year and put himself back in the spotlight to make up for the negative press he has been getting lately (some self-inflicted obviously). He can just carry this team when he is on. I love to watch it. :D:

Scotty347
05-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
get GLOAD IN THE LINEUP SOMEHOW

I agree - I'd like to see Gload and also Uribe in there on a daily basis. Seems like we score 10 runs everytime Gload is starting.

Dadawg_77
05-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Put Frank in front of Mags, since you want OBP in front of SLG. While Frank's SLG is high, you want him in front of a good slugging hitter to maximize the effect of his OPB.

Gumshoe
05-21-2004, 01:45 PM
As has always been the case, Frank has to hit in general for us to be elite in the league. The problem has been his attitude. I hope he is regaining it. If he WANTS to hit, more than anyone else, he can get a hit seemingly every time. It's just that so much potentially bothers him.

In any case, don't get too carried away. I hope he continues, but there was a reason why Maggs was in front of him, and that's because Maggs is a much better hitter, no question.

Frank himself and the team need him to continue. I'd love it if we just pound this stupid team into oblivion. There's no need to tinker at all is right, btw. The Sox are right around the best records in the league. Crede will come back, and he is a regular, so play him as one. I just wish they'd give AR a real shot, or just play someone like Perez or Harris out there full time. It's nearly impossible when expectations are high and you don't play all the time to be consistent. Except on D where AR is very good.

G

BeerHandle
05-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by sas1974

The saying is: "As Frank Goes, So Do The Sox!" He has proven that the last two games. I wan to see it again tonight.

OEO Magglio
05-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I just wish they'd give AR a real shot, or just play someone like Perez or Harris out there full time. It's nearly impossible when expectations are high and you don't play all the time to be consistent. Except on D where AR is very good.

G
Rowand had his chance and he lost his job. He didn't produce and he now should be reduced to a 4th outfielder and I'm not even going to get back into the defensive argument.

compy75
05-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Rowand had his chance and he lost his job. He didn't produce and he now should be reduced to a 4th outfielder and I'm not even going to get back into the defensive argument.

Reality is I have said OVER and OVER again, Rowand can't hit a big league breaking ball. He just can't do it. In the minors, the only tried and true pitch was a fastball for most pitchers so in hitter's counts they grooved the heater. Now the word is out and thankfully so is Rowand.

bartmanisgod
05-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
I agree - I'd like to see Gload and also Uribe in there on a daily basis. Seems like we score 10 runs everytime Gload is starting.

Or whenever Arron Rowand's not!

voodoochile
05-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Road games it might be better if he hits #3 because he knows for sure he will hit in the first inning and has less time to tighten up before his first at bat. Since he hasn't played first, it might be something to consider.

Of course I don't like the idea of them constantly moving him around, so if you do it, make it permanent.

Nothing wrong with Maggs having even more people to drive in and with Carlos finally showing signs of life there is at least some production in the 5 slot so whoever bats 4th gets more protection.

lowesox
05-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by onenine19
I agree! Put Gload in Center and Uribe at third.

Sometimes I wonder if some posters at WSI can remember beyond a week ago. Sure, Crede has been slumping for the early part of the year - but Crede has proven that he's a VERY streaky hitter. And he's also proven to be a very good defensive thirdbasemen. There are several places to move guys like Harris and Uribe around to get them at bats. LEave Crede alone. If we can leave him at the bottom of the order and ignore him and still have the offense perform while he's slumping, why not do it? If we let Crede develop slowly - he will.

Lets also remember that putting Gload in Center and Uribe at third would mean losing something defensively at two positions. I'm not sure the offensive difference would make that worth it.