PDA

View Full Version : Twins put Stewart on DL

owensmouth
05-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Following last nite's game, the Twinkies added Shannon Stewart to the 15 day DL. They've recalled Justin Morneau to the major league club.

According to the St Paul Pioneer Press, Luis Rivas and Menkieweitz (?) are also hurting.

Wonder if they'd like their old carpet back?

samram
05-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Following last nite's game, the Twinkies added Shannon Stewart to the 15 day DL. They've recalled Justin Morneau to the major league club.

According to the St Paul Pioneer Press, Luis Rivas and Menkieweitz (?) are also hurting.

Wonder if they'd like their old carpet back?

You would think anything would be better than cement, but they have apparently found something worse.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Offensively they'll be missing Stewart more IMO, but defensively they're missing Doug M. big time. Offerman looked pretty bad at first yesterday, which suits me just fine.

kittle42
05-21-2004, 10:57 AM
What a shame.

kermittheefrog
05-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Getting Morneau into the lineup isn't especially promising for us. He was tearing the PCL apart and he could be the Twins best hitter by the end of the year.

CHISOXFAN13
05-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Getting Morneau into the lineup isn't especially promising for us. He was tearing the PCL apart and he could be the Twins best hitter by the end of the year.

Stewart is a Whit Sox nemesis. I'll take my chances with that trade off.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
What a shame. Teal button is on the upper right. :D:

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Getting Morneau into the lineup isn't especially promising for us. He was tearing the PCL apart and he could be the Twins best hitter by the end of the year. Ditto for you. :D:

kermittheefrog
05-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Ditto for you. :D:

What the hell is that supposed to mean? You don't think Morneau is a good player? I shouldn't use teal because you don't know what you're talking about.

WSox8404
05-21-2004, 11:11 AM
Right now is the time the Sox should be making a run. So many Twinkies are out right now its almost crazy. They will be a better team when they come back so I hope in the next few weeks we can pull out in front of them by a few games.

kittle42
05-21-2004, 11:20 AM
What the hell is that supposed to mean? You don't think Morneau is a good player? I shouldn't use teal because you don't know what you're talking about.

The real question here is who is better...Justin Morneau or Ross Gload?

npdempse
05-21-2004, 11:40 AM
I thought I heard Rivas would be back sometime in this series. Not that he was really hitting us anyway, with his old-timey stockings.

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Morneau is actually really good. He has a good ML debut last year and I'm actually a bit scared of him compared to Jose Offerman

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 11:54 AM
What the hell is that supposed to mean? You don't think Morneau is a good player? I shouldn't use teal because you don't know what you're talking about. He isn't Shannon Stewart buddy, and is hardly going to be the best hitter on their team. Do you know what you're talking about? No one is saying the guy can't play or be effective, but the best on their team?

owensmouth
05-21-2004, 11:55 AM
I thought I heard Rivas would be back sometime in this series. Not that he was really hitting us anyway, with his old-timey stockings.

This is what the St Paul Pioneer Press said today: "Stewart joins third baseman Corey Koskie (strained sternum), catcher Joe Mauer (knee) and backup infielder Nick Punto (oblique muscle) on the disabled list, and they could have company by the weekend. Second baseman Luis Rivas (groin) and first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz (back) each missed their second straight game Thursday. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire indicated that Rivas is not doing well. Mientkiewicz said he experienced pain while fielding ground balls and taking batting practice Thursday, but he said he is optimistic he will return to the lineup this weekend."

sas1974
05-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
This is what the St Paul Pioneer Press said today: "Stewart joins third baseman Corey Koskie (strained sternum), catcher Joe Mauer (knee) and backup infielder Nick Punto (oblique muscle) on the disabled list, and they could have company by the weekend. Second baseman Luis Rivas (groin) and first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz (back) each missed their second straight game Thursday. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire indicated that Rivas is not doing well. Mientkiewicz said he experienced pain while fielding ground balls and taking batting practice Thursday, but he said he is optimistic he will return to the lineup this weekend."

I am all in favor of kicking the crap out of them while they are down, just like they did to us the year Frank went down and we had all of those other assorted injuries.

MRKARNO
05-21-2004, 11:59 AM

Do you remember how he was absolutely tearing it up in his ML debut last year? He has a lot of potential and we need to be really careful pitching him.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Do you remember how he was absolutely tearing it up in his ML debut last year? He has a lot of potential and we need to be really careful pitching him. Fine, but they are plenty of other guys on the team that you have to be careful to as well. Jacque Jones, Lew Ford, Stewart when healthy as well as Doug M. As I said, no one is debating whether Justin can play. I am debating that he'll be the best hitter on their team.

jabrch
05-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Morneau is a fine prospect. Some day, he might be a great everyday player. However, I would much rather face him (or Ford, Cuddyer or Ryan) the rest of this weekend than face Shanon Stewart.

With him being out of the leadoff spot, it puts Ford at the top of the order. I know he has hit the tar out of the ball so far, but I can't imagine this can go on forever.

I never cheer for injuries, but a well timed injury to a good player can often really benefit an opponent. Having Koskie, Mauer and Stewart all out of the lineup for the next three days can be NOTHING BUT GOOD for the Sox.

JRIG
05-21-2004, 12:34 PM
He isn't Shannon Stewart buddy, and is hardly going to be the best hitter on their team. Do you know what you're talking about? No one is saying the guy can't play or be effective, but the best on their team?

If I were Justin Morneau, I'd be very happy I wasn't Shannon Stewart.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
If I were Justin Morneau, I'd be very happy I wasn't Shannon Stewart. I'm certanly glad he isn't. Are you talking about skill level or what he offers to the team, or are you referring to his attitude?

pudge
05-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Maybe all those extra games in October are finally taking their toll.

JRIG
05-21-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm certanly glad he isn't. Are you talking about skill level or what he offers to the team, or are you referring to his attitude?

Skill level. Stewart is still a useful player at this point in his career, but Morneau has a great chance to be an absolute stud.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Skill level. Stewart is still a useful player at this point in his career, but Morneau has a great chance to be an absolute stud. But right now, Stewart is a pretty serviceable leadoff hitter and a big catalyst for their offense. Not bad D either. Morneau may end up being a better player in the long haul, but he isn't there yet, and I would imagine he won't be for a couple more years. Stewart is no slouch, and I would just assume he stay out and Morneau in. In a couple years, maybe I'll think differently, but right now, I'm only concerned about this year.

sas1974
05-21-2004, 01:07 PM
But right now, Stewart is a pretty serviceable leadoff hitter and a big catalyst for their offense. Not bad D either. Morneau may end up being a better player in the long haul, but he isn't there yet, and I would imagine he won't be for a couple more years. Stewart is no slouch, and I would just assume he stay out and Morneau in. In a couple years, maybe I'll think differently, but right now, I'm only concerned about this year.

To continue that thought, the Twins signed him to a 3-year deal for a reason.

poorme
05-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Morneau was only hitting .356 with 10 homers at AAA.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
To continue that thought, the Twins signed him to a 3-year deal for a reason. Exactly, not to mention that it lead to saying goodbye to their coveted bullpen guys Eddie and Latroy. They were really willing to say goodbye to Latroy with the hopes of being able to retain Eddie, but neither worked out, and part of the reason was that the money was going to Stewart.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Morneau was only hitting .356 with 10 homers at AAA. Diaz was 5-0 with a sub 2.00 ERA. We have Reed as well. No one is saying the kid can't play, but there is a reason why he is in AAA continuing to develop and why they signed Stewart to a three year extension. This kid will no doubtedly take Jone's spot next year, but he isn't better than Stewart right now. At least that's how I see it.

kermittheefrog
05-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Maybe you're right. That 799 OPS of Stewart's is irreplacable.

fhqwhgads
05-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Morneau was only hitting .356 with 10 homers at AAA.

Maybe you're right. That 799 OPS of Stewart's is irreplacable.

Teal text has taken a vacation for this thread, apparently. :D:

The Sox have the gift of timing this spring. First, playing the Yankees during their struggling start, and now getting to play a Twins team with 3 opening day starters.

Should the Sox split/win this series, I wouldn't call it a testament to superior talent.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Maybe you're right. That 799 OPS of Stewart's is irreplacable. He's a lead off hitter buddy, and he has a .396 OBS. They'll miss him.

kittle42
This kid will no doubtedly take Jone's spot next year, but he isn't better than Stewart right now. At least that's how I see it.

Who is "Jone?" :smile:

SEALgep
Originally posted by fhqwhgads

The Sox have the gift of timing this spring. First, playing the Yankees during their struggling start, and now getting to play a Twins team with 3 opening day starters.

Should the Sox split/win this series, I wouldn't call it a testament to superior talent. Good thing we could care a less about superior talent. We care about winning the division.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Who is "Jone?" :smile: Jacque Jones

What are you an English major? Names ending in S always threw me off where the apostrophe was supposed to go. :D:

kermittheefrog
05-21-2004, 02:23 PM
He's a lead off hitter buddy, and he has a .396 OBS. They'll miss him.

I don't know what an OBS is but if you are referring to Stewart's OBP you have half of a point.

A) There is nothing to make us think Shannon Stewart can maintain on OBP that high.

B) Morneau will probably hit for significantly more power than Stewart.

C) Stewart is a decent hitter and when he comes back they might keep both of them in the lineup and kick someone with no stick like Doug Mientkievicz out.

Morneau is in the majors, he's probably going to hit and that gives the Twins a better lineup and more flexibility when Stewart comes back. Thats not a good thing.

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't know what an OBS is but if you are referring to Stewart's OBP you have half of a point.

A) There is nothing to make us think Shannon Stewart can maintain on OBP that high.

B) Morneau will probably hit for significantly more power than Stewart.

C) Stewart is a decent hitter and when he comes back they might keep both of them in the lineup and kick someone with no stick like Doug Mientkievicz out.

Morneau is in the majors, he's probably going to hit and that gives the Twins a better lineup and more flexibility when Stewart comes back. Thats not a good thing.

A) He has a career .367 OBP with a .303 batting average. Hardly something to squak at, and shows he has been productive at this level for some time.

B) Morneau isn't a lead off hitter, and probably is an if not a fact. He is yet to prove it.

C) They could keep both in the lineup, but I highly doubt they give Douggy the boot. They're more likely to trade Jacque IMO. However, to say this guy is better or more valuable to the Twins at this point than Stewart is false. The guy is a good player, but Stewart is a major component of their run production. Morneau has much to prove, and he probably will, but he doesn't have more value to the Twins at this point.

SoxxoS
05-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Agreed. Shannon Stewart helped them A LOT at the end of last season. A lot more than Bobby Kielty. It doesn't always show in numbers.

gosox41
05-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Offensively they'll be missing Stewart more IMO, but defensively they're missing Doug M. big time. Offerman looked pretty bad at first yesterday, which suits me just fine.

The Stewart trade last year is what helped turn the Twins arund. They're a different looking team without him.

Bob

OEO Magglio
05-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
The Stewart trade last year is what helped turn the Twins arund. They're a different looking team without him.

Bob
Exactly this is probably the last guy the twins could afford to lose. They were slumping for a while last year until they traded for shannon and then all the sudden they got seriously hot and maintained that level of play for the rest of the year.

CHISOXFAN13
05-22-2004, 12:23 AM

Should the Sox split/win this series, I wouldn't call it a testament to superior talent.

Last night we played without our starting RF and top overall player and our leadoff hitter. Tonight, we didn't have the services of our hottest hitter.

We've scored 18 runs the last two games. I don't care who was in the lineup for your beloved Twinkies, it wasn't going to happen for you.

How bout giving credit where it's due?

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Cry me a river.

SoxxoS
05-22-2004, 11:00 AM

:whoflungpoo