PDA

View Full Version : Konerko

Malgar 12
05-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Is Paul finally starting to wake up from his year long slumber?
If so, do you stick with him, expecting big things for the rest of the year?

Or do you wait six weeks and try to sell him off, while he might be tradable?

misty60481
05-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Taht would be great we can always use a hot bat
he can really put up some numbers when he gets hot

A.T. Money
05-21-2004, 09:32 AM
If he's gonna get hot, he picked a perfect time. We need those hot bats in this Minnesota series.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2004, 09:38 AM
I really don't want him swinging for the fences. As long as he keeps hitting RBI doubles the Sox offense will run like a well-oiled machine.

If he could hit .300 with 50 doubles and just 10 homers over the course of a season I would be overjoyed.

jabrch
05-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I really don't want him swinging for the fences. As long as he keeps hitting RBI doubles the Sox offense will run like a well-oiled machine.

If he could hit .300 with 50 doubles and just 10 homers over the course of a season I would be overjoyed.

.300? Geez - if he hits .280 I'd be thrilled. I do agree - he doesn't have to hit 25-30 HRs to be a very important piece to the offense. But if hit hits .280 and 20, that would be nice. It would also make life easier on Carlos - if he had a bat behind him who was a thread to get hits.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
.300? Geez - if he hits .280 I'd be thrilled. I do agree - he doesn't have to hit 25-30 HRs to be a very important piece to the offense. But if hit hits .280 and 20, that would be nice. It would also make life easier on Carlos - if he had a bat behind him who was a thread to get hits.

I know that .300 might be tough to reach this year after his miserable start, but his average has jumped a ton just in the last week. I just want to see him stay hot. Ideally he would stay hot and then the Sox would pull the trigger on a trade when his value is highest, and then he cools off for his new team. :D: Losing his 2005 salary should enable the Sox to re-sign Maggs. I'd rather have Maggs than Konerko.

HITMEN OF 77
05-21-2004, 11:28 AM
You have to keep him. He has raised his batting average over .30 points in the past week and is hitting when it counts most. Big RBI's in the Cleveland series and now the Twinks series. He was hot at the start of the season, cooled off a bit and now back on track. To trade him would be foolish.

soltrain21
05-21-2004, 06:49 PM
It looks to me like he is holding the bat differently. Looks like he is holding more out in front of him and at more of an angle.

Could be just me, though...

bigdommer
05-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
It looks to me like he is holding the bat differently. Looks like he is holding more out in front of him and at more of an angle.

Could be just me, though...

I agree. His swing looks a lot better, like it did a few years ago. If you go to chisox.com and go to video and watch the highlights from Thursday night's game, they do a nice slow motioni replay of his second homerun from a side view. Hes really balanced and he gets his bat down and through the zone 2002 style.

That being said, I think KW will continue to shop Konerko. Not because Konerko can't hit and not because he is hot, but because at his salary and with his lumbering baseclogging qualities, he just doesn't fit in to the type of team that Ozzie and KW want. I know, maybe CLee, Frank, and Crede don't fit in either, but Konerko is the most expendable and will probably be odd man out, if he can be moved. But I trust KW not to give him away. I don't think he will make a move unless it's the right one, like with Kelly Wunsch.

gosox41
05-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Malgar 12
Is Paul finally starting to wake up from his year long slumber?
If so, do you stick with him, expecting big things for the rest of the year?

Or do you wait six weeks and try to sell him off, while he might be tradable?

Sell High. If Konerko can increase his value enough to get a good or decent starting pitcher I'd do it. I'd trade him for less.

The Sox don't need anymore slow right handed hitting power hitters when there are other holes to be filled. PK is making big money and is still putting up average numbers for a first basmean.

Also, keep in mind that dumpink PK frees up money to keep Magglio around.

Bob

batmanZoSo
05-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Sell High. If Konerko can increase his value enough to get a good or decent starting pitcher I'd do it. I'd trade him for less.

The Sox don't need anymore slow right handed hitting power hitters when there are other holes to be filled. PK is making big money and is still putting up average numbers for a first basmean.

Also, keep in mind that dumpink PK frees up money to keep Magglio around.

Bob

I agree in full. Especially the last sentence.

I'd just as soon let Gload take his place and use some of that 8 million to get a center fielder next year and some more to improve the bullpen.