PDA

View Full Version : Konerko heating up -- Keeper or Trade Bait?

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Paulie has been heating up during the last week. I know it is a small sample size, but if it continues, what should the Sox do?

Keep him. His bat will help this offense click all the way to the playoffs.

Trade him. His trade value will increase and the Sox could use him to get pitching and/or CF help.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2004, 10:16 AM
I voted to trade him. I like that he is a gamer, but if he stays hot his trade value might get the Sox pitching or a legitimate starting CF who bats left-handed.

Then again, if he stays hot this lineup could click all the way to the playoffs. I am torn.

:?:

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 10:17 AM
I don't mind keeping PK, but I'm not opposed to trading him if we were able to get someone worth while for us. I voted for keep him, because I don't see us getting much value for him. However, if we did, I wouldn't mind so much, because I think Gload is for real, and he would make a prety good everyday first baseman IMO.

bobj4400
05-21-2004, 10:20 AM
I voted to trade him. Do it now. If we dont trade him soon, we will all be bitching about GIDPaul and his ridiculous contract again in a month.

Baby Fisk
05-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Trade him for pitching. NOW!

soxtalker
05-21-2004, 10:29 AM
When he's in a slump, I see a lot of comments on the board that we should trade him. But that is the time that we're least likely to get his true value in return. If we're going to trade him, we should do it while he's on a tear.

I voted "trade him". That's not so much because of the long slumps, though those are maddening. Rather, we have another young player that could take his place (Gload), so moving him probably wouldn't hurt. But let's get good value for him.

poorme
05-21-2004, 10:31 AM
He's got no trade value unless the Sox pay 90% of his salary.

kermittheefrog
05-21-2004, 10:31 AM
No team is looking to trade for a first baseman with an 8 million dollar contract.

samram
05-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by poorme
He's got no trade value unless the Sox pay 90% of his salary.

Originally posted by kermittheefrog
No team is looking to trade for a first baseman with an 8 million dollar contract.

I voted to trade him, but the above facts are going to be difficult to overcome.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Wow. A lot more PK hatahs than fans this morning. :D:

mdep524
05-21-2004, 12:51 PM
I hope Paulie gets hot, really hot,--April 2002 hot. But I still vote that we trade him right now. Gload has had a nice stroke lately, I wouldn't mind seeing him get some consistent ABs at 1B for a while.

Kadafi311
05-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Keep him.

He's a valuable bat and will show it as the season progresses. However, if Cotts doesn't work out... then perhaps we have a different story.

sas1974
05-21-2004, 12:54 PM
I am still not convinced that Ross Gload is an everyday player. If we trade PK, then what?

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I am still not convinced that Ross Gload is an everyday player. If we trade PK, then what? What will convince you? He has to get regular at bats before we say he can't be an everyday player. As of right now, he looks as though he can be. I love how this guy has a quick stroke and can go the other way with ease into left center. Plus he is a defensive magician at first, as KW used similar words to describe Gload.

sas1974
05-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
What will convince you? He has to get regular at bats before we say he can't be an everyday player. As of right now, he looks as though he can be. I love how this guy has a quick stroke and can go the other way with ease into left center. Plus he is a defensive magician at first, as KW used similar words to describe Gload.

I guess I didn't mean to say that he CAN'T be an everyday player, bc of course w/ the ABs he can. What I meant is that he may be even more valuable in the role he's in now (assuming PK can remain consistent - Big assumption, I know). A super-sub of sorts and a dependable left-handed bat off the bench(both are great and rare commodities).

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I guess I didn't mean to say that he CAN'T be an everyday player, bc of course w/ the ABs he can. What I meant is that he may be even more valuable in the role he's in now (assuming PK can remain consistent - Big assumption, I know). A super-sub of sorts and a dependable left-handed bat off the bench(both are great and rare commodities). That is a good point because he has value in being able to play first and apparently all 3 outfield positions as a left handed stick off the bench. That would be difficult to replace with a guy who can produce with sparatic at bats.

jabrch
05-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Trade him is a good idea - but for what? For the reasons other people listed - I don't see anyone taking him off our hands AND giving us value in return. It's really hard to trade a guy like him in the middle of the season. How many teams that are willing to take on 8.5mm this year and 9 next year need a mediocre to poor hitting, streaky 1B AND are willing to actually give us something in return for him?

I can't name one single team. If Kenny manages to trade PK - and gets anything of value, it will be the best trade he has made to-date - far surpassing Miles for Uribe, and even better than the Ritchie deal

sas1974
05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
If Kenny manages to trade PK - and gets anything of value, it will be the best trade he has made to-date - far surpassing Miles for Uribe, and even better than the Ritchie deal

A side note: Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Miles is currently on the Sox. The AAA Sky Sox. Kenny you genius you.

hawkeyesrule
05-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I say keep him. I like the guy. He is a good presence in the locker room. And when he is on, he can hit anyone hard.

My biggest question is where everyone gets the idea that he is a poor 1B? He had 2 errors last year, for a fielding % of .998

SEALgep
05-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by hawkeyesrule
I say keep him. I like the guy. He is a good presence in the locker room. And when he is on, he can hit anyone hard.

My biggest question is where everyone gets the idea that he is a poor 1B? He had 2 errors last year, for a fielding % of .998 He has limited range, but I agree he is a good fielding first baseman.

Deadguy
05-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by hawkeyesrule

My biggest question is where everyone gets the idea that he is a poor 1B? He had 2 errors last year, for a fielding % of .998

He has poor range, which minimizes the value of a high fielding percentage. He's not getting to the balls that guys like J.T. Snow and Doug M. can get to, which means he has fewer chances to make errors.

I say trade him to anyone who is dumb enough to take him. He is the king of the garbage time RBI. I can't think of any team that would take him though, outside of possibly Anaheim, with all their injury problems.

He can take over 3B now that Glaus is out until September.

hawkeyesrule
05-21-2004, 03:27 PM
No, he doesn't have the best range in the league. My point was that he is not a poor first baseman. I would say he has an above average glove with average range.

nasox
05-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
He has poor range, which minimizes the value of a high fielding percentage. He's not getting to the balls that guys like J.T. Snow and Doug M. can get to, which means he has fewer chances to make errors.

I say trade him to anyone who is dumb enough to take him. He is the king of the garbage time RBI. I can't think of any team that would take him though, outside of possibly Anaheim, with all their injury problems.

He can take over 3B now that Glaus is out until September.

He does have poor range, because of his toirtose like speed and lack of athleticism (relatively speaking of course-he is an MLB athlete, but then so is Colon-this is baseball) BUT, he makes up for that by digging out balls thrown to him at first that not very many could do. He saves our fielders so many errors by doing this. He is one of the best in the league in digging out poor throws (Jose anybody), and this makes up for his lack of range.

I did vote trade even though it won't happen, but his salary has got to go someday, and sooner would be nicer than later. HIs speed doesn't help either.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by nasox
BUT, he makes up for that by digging out balls thrown to him at first that not very many could do. He saves our fielders so many errors by doing this. He is one of the best in the league in digging out poor throws (Jose anybody), and this makes up for his lack of range.

Once Harris returns, if Konerko is traded, they can move Frank to 1B part-time (platoon with Gload) and let Valentin DH with Uribe at short. Valentin can't throw the ball poorly when he doesn't play the field.

he_gone_89
05-21-2004, 04:08 PM
hey,hes starting to keep his eye on the ball
he's not making a lot of errors at 1st base

why would we trade him and let another
playoff contender pick him up? :?:

SoxxoS
05-21-2004, 04:08 PM
I don't care what you get for him (as long as it's not a big salary)...Konerko needs to go. Anyone who says he should stay shouldn't be blinded by his recent "hot streak" or his likability. He is an overpaid, streaky, extremely slow 1Baseman.

JRIG
05-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by nasox
He does have poor range, because of his toirtose like speed and lack of athleticism (relatively speaking of course-he is an MLB athlete, but then so is Colon-this is baseball) BUT, he makes up for that by digging out balls thrown to him at first that not very many could do. He saves our fielders so many errors by doing this. He is one of the best in the league in digging out poor throws (Jose anybody), and this makes up for his lack of range.

I strenuously disagree with this. I can't remember very mny plays at all where Konerko has had a nice dig over at first. Infact, I'll assert I think Frank actually has softer hands at first base as far as digging bad throws out of the dirt.

This is something that's just based on what I've seen though, so we may just be remembering different games.

OEO Magglio
05-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't care what you get for him (as long as it's not a big salary)...Konerko needs to go. Anyone who says he should stay shouldn't be blinded by his recent "hot streak" or his likability. He is an overpaid, streaky, extremely slow 1Baseman.
Definitely PK is way to streaky for me. I would love the sox to able to trade him for anything and let Gload play some first base, I believe Gload can be an everday player and he's exactly what the sox need a left handed bat who can run and doesn't try pulling everything.

iwannago
05-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Definitely PK is way to streaky for me. I would love the sox to able to trade him for anything and let Gload play some first base, I believe Gload can be an everday player and he's exactly what the sox need a left handed bat who can run and doesn't try pulling everything.

It may be a mistake to trade PK. I think he is just getting into his prime and may have his best years ahead. Anyway all 1B's are slow with maybe a few exceptions. I had previously thought PK was on his last year of his contract, but someone a few days ago said he has another year. If so is that year greater than $8M?
If the later is true maybe he should traded.

Daver
05-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
but someone a few days ago said he has another year. If so is that year greater than $8M?

2005: 8.75 mil.

JRIG
05-21-2004, 07:11 PM
It may be a mistake to trade PK. I think he is just getting into his prime and may have his best years ahead. Anyway all 1B's are slow with maybe a few exceptions. I had previously thought PK was on his last year of his contract, but someone a few days ago said he has another year. If so is that year greater than $8M?

Konerko has one more year on his contract at $8.75 million. He's 28, so we've probably aleady seen his prime.

By the way, David Ortiz signed an extension today with the Red Sox. $5.25 million next year and $6.5 million in 2006. Who would you rather have?

niucons
05-21-2004, 07:14 PM

8.5 mil. Paully is an ok player, but not worth that much. If we can find someone to dump that on, I say go. I really don't care what we get in return. With Gload heating up, it really doesn't matter. Also, don't forget, although KW always does, that Franks career batting average is 70 points higher when he's at first. He's at least as good a fielder as Konerko is. Dump him.

The other big plus is it gives us the cash to pick up a real fifth starter. Garcia or anyone, it will be a big help.

Palehose13
05-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Trade him for a SP or CF and eat some of his salary.

Whitesox029
05-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by niucons
8.5 mil. Paully is an ok player, but not worth that much. If we can find someone to dump that on, I say go. I really don't care what we get in return. With Gload heating up, it really doesn't matter. Also, don't forget, although KW always does, that Franks career batting average is 70 points higher when he's at first. He's at least as good a fielder as Konerko is. Dump him.

The other big plus is it gives us the cash to pick up a real fifth starter. Garcia or anyone, it will be a big help.
In the last ten games, the sox have given up 0,1,5,3,4,0,7,2,3,and 3 runs for an average of 2.8 per game. There is currently no need to trade any element of our currently fragile lineup for something we really have no need for. If things change and we hit consistently while the starters struggle, then we'll talk Lee (not the sharpest knife in the drawer) and/or Valentin (expendable) for a decent #5.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

doublem23
05-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I voted to trade him. Do it now. If we dont trade him soon, we will all be bitching about GIDPaul and his ridiculous contract again in a month.

This is the way I feel, too. Ideally, I'd like to keep Paul, I think he's a pretty good defensive first baseman, but that contract is ludicrous and a team on a self-imposed budget like the Sox can't afford to keep overpaid players like this. Bring in another pitcher for the long haul and then use the money saved to keep Maggs.

niucons
05-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
In the last ten games, the sox have given up 0,1,5,3,4,0,7,2,3,and 3 runs for an average of 2.8 per game. There is currently no need to trade any element of our currently fragile lineup for something we really have no need for. If things change and we hit consistently while the starters struggle, then we'll talk Lee (not the sharpest knife in the drawer) and/or Valentin (expendable) for a decent #5.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I can't find the source, but our fifth starters have an ERA over 6 and are 0-5 this year. We really really need to shore that up. If Cotts is the answer, I'll agree with you. If not, then Paullly should go.