PDA

View Full Version : New trashbagdome turf?

GoSox2K3
05-21-2004, 08:24 AM
What's up with that playing surface in the Twinkiedome? Did they install a new playing surface? If so, it still looks terrible! On TV it looked like matted-down carpeting.

Another observation: it looked like there was hardly anyone there to see the 1st place, 2-time defending division champ Twins play their closest rival.

PS: my apologies if this topic has already been discussed in another thread.

Baby Fisk
05-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Yet another observation: What is up with that gigantic milk jug looming in RF? Most ridiculous thing I've seen since those beach ball-sized "oranges" parked behind the choo-choo train in Minute Maid Park.

It reminds me of Hangar 18's idea to prop a gigantic Guinness pint in USCF's outfield. Now THAT would be proper!

The Metrodome sucks!

joeynach
05-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
What's up with that playing surface in the Twinkiedome? Did they install a new playing surface? If so, it still looks terrible! On TV it looked like matted-down carpeting.

Another observation: it looked like there was hardly anyone there to see the 1st place, 2-time defending division champ Twins play their closest rival.

Your right it does look terrible. I mean i can see why they wanted to put down the field turf like other turf stadiums but they got it wrong. If they wanted to make a better playing surface they just should have dont what tampa did. Use the field turf but make a whole complete infield indoors, with the dirt and all. I hate seeing an entire infeild and basebaths of this shag carpet with stupid little dirt areas around the bases. They should really make a whole dirt infield.

illiniwhitesox
05-21-2004, 08:54 AM
B/c the Vikings play there as well, it is a synthetic turf that many football stadiums are using. It is supposed to give ground and actually tear out more like regular grass.

The purpose is to avoid someone planting their foot, then having their knee ripped apart when then are entangled with other football players. Believe it or not, most of the material is a rubber compound derived from used tires.

The turf IS UGLY. But having lived in the Twin-Cities for 4 years, I can tell you it is not half as ugly as the stadium itself. It is the worst venue to see a game, with the possible exception of the Devil Rays stadium.

IlliniSox
05-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
B/c the Vikings play there as well, it is a synthetic turf that many football stadiums are using. It is supposed to give ground and actually tear out more like regular grass.

The purpose is to avoid someone planting their foot, then having their knee ripped apart when then are entangled with other football players. Believe it or not, most of the material is a rubber compound derived from used tires.

The turf IS UGLY. But having lived in the Twin-Cities for 4 years, I can tell you it is not half as ugly as the stadium itself. It is the worst venue to see a game, with the possible exception of the Devil Rays stadium.

You didn't have to steal my name though, illiniwhitesox Just kidding, I've been to both. Tropicana is one sleepy dump.

woodenleg
05-21-2004, 10:04 AM
17,640 last night. It was so quiet I could hear the Sox fans.

To think I almost went up there for the weekend.

cbrownson13
05-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3

The Wise Guys had Matt LeCroy on yesterday talking about the new turf. It's the softer turf that a lot of football stadiums have adopted. He said that it seems to be slowing the team down though because they are used to running on the old, basically concrete, turf.

Tekijawa
05-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox

I'll seccond that motion... I've been to one game there and will never go back. I can't remember if the sox one or not, it was back in the early 90's, but I know I hated being there. It sounded like I was watching the game in a broke microwave.

Brian26
05-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Anyone else notice that EVERYTHING in that dump is a tarp? The outfield walls, the roof, the ADVERTISEMENTS down the lines, the murals in the rightfield upper deck. At one point, someone on the Sox hit a line shot foul down the firstbase line, and it hit one of the advertisements next to the giant jug, and it looked awful because the tarp just started flowing around. Another cheezy thing was that the Twins had someone erect a little sign behind the plate that said "Twinsbaseball.com". The only problem was that it was SO SMALL you could hardly see it on tv, in addition to it being printed on some sort of reflective blue paper, so it was shiny to boot. It looked like someone printed the thing out on their 700 series HP printer and taped it up before gametime. Talk about a minor league outfit...

Jerko
05-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Well, now we know what "chia-turf" looks like at least.

pudge
05-21-2004, 12:57 PM
On the turf: It's a million times better to play on than the old carpet -- I've played on both, and surprisingly, the Nike Grind stuff feels very much like real grass, and the ball does not move nearly as fast as it does on that neon green stuff.

As for the look, I don't know what you peeps are talking about, I think it looks much much better than the un-textured, bright-green, flat carpet. But who cares anyway, the Dome is a piece of trash.

On the attendance: A friend of mine from Minny has said there are some issues hurting Twins attendance, 1) TWolve Mania and 2) The TV dispute that kept the Twins off the air for the first six weeks of the season.

I guess other first-place teams actually have trouble filling the stadium, I thought the Sox were the only ones!

Max Power
05-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Your right it does look terrible. I mean i can see why they wanted to put down the field turf like other turf stadiums but they got it wrong. If they wanted to make a better playing surface they just should have dont what tampa did. Use the field turf but make a whole complete infield indoors, with the dirt and all. I hate seeing an entire infeild and basebaths of this shag carpet with stupid little dirt areas around the bases. They should really make a whole dirt infield.

I agree, but I wonder if its practical if the Vikings have to play there too. They could put down the infield for the summer and take it up towards the end of the season when the Vikings are there maybe. Probably not a feasible idea.
The turf looks like crap, but I'm sure the players prefer it and that's what matters.

SoxFan76
05-21-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm assuming this is the same turf as U of I has, and I played on that turf for the state championship football game. It is very nice, and soft. Very similar to natural grass, but with more give. I don't think it matters what we think it looks like on TV, the bottom line is many blown out knees are being saved from it.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-21-2004, 01:38 PM
I would be interested to find out the stats on how many "good bunts" have been laid down on the stuff. If it is really shag-like, the bunt is almost taken out of play isnc ehte ball will die right at the point it hits the stuff....

na_na_na_na
05-21-2004, 01:38 PM
I've also played(soccer) on this type of turf. It's really great as long as it stays dry(in the Metrodome not a problem). The coolest thing about it was the fake dirt(rubber) that actually comes loose like regular dirt.

fhqwhgads
05-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by pudge
As for the look, I don't know what you peeps are talking about, I think it looks much much better than the un-textured, bright-green, flat carpet.

I agree. I think the majority of this board will rip it just for the sake of ripping it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

[B]the Dome is a piece of trash.

Again, we agree. :D:

On the attendance: A friend of mine from Minny has said there are some issues hurting Twins attendance, 1) TWolve Mania and 2) The TV dispute that kept the Twins off the air for the first six weeks of the season.

Yeah, that and the fact that no one wants to come inside on a nice day to watch an outdoor sport. :angry:

he_gone_89
05-21-2004, 02:54 PM
They Shoulda called Empire

That "carpetf" is 20 times worse than
the astroturf they had before

they could of at least made it
the same shade of green as grass

DrummerGeorgefan
05-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by he_gone_89
They Shoulda called Empire

They still giving out free Michael Jordan Wilson Basketballs?