PDA

View Full Version : Magglio in the Metrodome

Win1ForMe
05-20-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm dissapointed Maggs isn't in the lineup for Game 1. But an interesting thing I looked up today was Maggs' 3 year splits divided by stadium. Looking at OPS, the only AL places where Magglio is less effective than the Metrodome are Safeco & Comerica (both pitchers parks). That's a stat that certainly could be used when arguing whether or not Maggs is a clutch player.

Win1ForMe
05-20-2004, 06:25 PM
What the heck, I ordered his OPS stats by ballpark.

Arlington -- 1.227
Edison -- 1.188
Tropicana -- 1.135
Yankee Stadium -- 1.133
Skydome -- 1.020
Fenway -- 1.003
Network Coliseum -- .990
Kauffman -- .988
Camden -- .986
Jacobs Field -- .974
Cell -- .940
Metrodome -- .824
Comerica -- .711
Safeco -- .652

Safeco/Comerica are much lower than the Metrodome stats. Still, his hitting in the Metrodome isn't very close to the next closest stadium on the list.

batmanZoSo
05-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Dude, the metrodome is a horrible place to play baseball especially for a visitor. His ops is only .940 at Comiskey while it's much higher in other parks...that must mean he's not clutch, too.

MRKARNO
05-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Steinbrenner has to be salivating over that 1.133 OPS in the bronx

Win1ForMe
05-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Dude, the metrodome is a horrible place to play baseball especially for a visitor. His ops is only .940 at Comiskey while it's much higher in other parks...that must mean he's not clutch, too.

Again, thanks for disregarding my points without actually adding anything sensible yourself. Magglio's three year OPS is .939, therefore it would make sense that his OPS would be .940 at the Cell (because that's the largest sample). No one said anything about that not being clutch. The more important question is why are his numbers in the Metrodome so much below his overall 3 year averages?

The Metrodome is a good hitter's park. In 2003, the Metrodome was the 10th best (and 5th best AL) park for scoring runs. It was not any tougher on visitors, as you pointed out, because both home and away teams averaged 4.9 runs each. But hey, why look at evidence when it's so much easier to make uninformed generalizations?

Jesus, you need to stop making excuses for Magglio and actually think about these things a little.

MRKARNO
05-20-2004, 06:56 PM
I dont believe all that much in "clutchness." Maggs just feels less comfortable hitting in the baggy dome.

pearso66
05-21-2004, 02:02 AM
It's from all those darn fans that blow in when the white sox bat

cbrownson13
05-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
I'm dissapointed Maggs isn't in the lineup for Game 1. But an interesting thing I looked up today was Maggs' 3 year splits divided by stadium. Looking at OPS, the only AL places where Magglio is less effective than the Metrodome are Safeco & Comerica (both pitchers parks). That's a stat that certainly could be used when arguing whether or not Maggs is a clutch player.

Why would OPS determine how clutch a hitter is? OPS says nothing about hitting with two outs or with runners in scoring position or about hitting late in games. And I am sure the reason Magglio wasn't in the lineup yesterday was because of a sore knee and not his OPS at the Metrodome.