PDA

View Full Version : Feels like 2000

LASOXFAN
05-20-2004, 03:54 PM
I know some will blast me for this, but I find a lot of similarities between this team and the team that won the division in 2000. Granted, the age differences are obvious and Frank had a monster year, but I genuinely believe Mags is going to be the MVP this year. The team plays with enthusiasm and show signs of being able to come back late in games. The 2000 team stumbled along in April and May too. They had 17 losses on this date as well. And then came 7 days in June.

With all the talk of trades and acquisitions, sometimes it helps to realize what 7 days can do to a team. It's also good to recall how distant April and May look in the rear view mirror of July and August.

I say hold on to your hats...this team could be this summer's blockbuster hit.

DaveIsHere
05-20-2004, 03:55 PM
or a bust :)

SSPinStripes
05-20-2004, 03:56 PM
I think theres a 50% chance that we will do average this year.

Realist
05-20-2004, 03:59 PM
I sincerely believe that all this team needs is a good 20 minute bench clearing brawl against another team to solidify the chemistry and clear the air.

If it were to happen June 25-27, it could be fun too. I doubt the fight would spread to the stands.

LASOXFAN
05-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I sincerely believe that all this team needs is a good 20 minute bench clearing brawl against another team to solidify the chemistry and clear the air.

If it were to happen June 25-27, it could be fun too. I doubt the fight would spread to the stands.

Two years ago I made that suggestion to Sandy Alomar. He had come over to talk to me and a friend during batting practice before an Angels game. He just laughed. We asked him if he was playing that night and he said, "are you kidding, I suck."

Tekijawa
05-20-2004, 04:10 PM
I know, my 401k is down for the year. I don't want to vote for either of the two JOKES vying for presidential office and Michael Jordan is retired... it's EXACTLY LIKE 2000 ALL OVER AGAIN!

pudge
05-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I know some will blast me for this, but I find a lot of similarities between this team and the team that won the division in 2000. Granted, the age differences are obvious and Frank had a monster year, but I genuinely believe Mags is going to be the MVP this year. The team plays with enthusiasm and show signs of being able to come back late in games. The 2000 team stumbled along in April and May too. They had 17 losses on this date as well. And then came 7 days in June.

With all the talk of trades and acquisitions, sometimes it helps to realize what 7 days can do to a team. It's also good to recall how distant April and May look in the rear view mirror of July and August.

My only qualm is that there was no team like the Twins back in 2000... Cleveland was the main rival, but they were on the downturn, while the Twins appear to be yet again a relentless, young, determined team. We shall see.

LASOXFAN
05-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by pudge
My only qualm is that there was no team like the Twins back in 2000... Cleveland was the main rival, but they were on the downturn, while the Twins appear to be yet again a relentless, young, determined team. We shall see.

good point

samram
05-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Gotta disagree. That Cleveland team, while injured, was better than the Twins. Remember they won the division in 2001 and won 90 games in 2000. One encouraging sign is that the Sox record in 2000 was probably not a whole lot better at this time than it is now. They really didn't have a big hot streak until early June when they won 13 out of 14 or something like that.

santo=dorf
05-20-2004, 05:41 PM
I am shocked that we are play above .500 ball in May. Will we get off to another hot streak after beating the scrubs this year too?

1951Campbell
05-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Realist

Phil Garner? Is that you?

batmanZoSo
05-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN

Maybe this is the beginning of "seven days." Only now, Cleveland is Minnesota. It's sweep time :cool:

Sadly, even if we did sweep this series (which we won't), it wouldn't mean much except that simply we'd be two games up on the date May 23rd. There'd still be a lot of baseball left and the Twins, as we saw last year, don't get too bothered over the occasional sweep at the hands of the Sox.

SOXSINCE'70
05-20-2004, 08:23 PM
I'd like to believe this might be like 2000,but if it is,please don't let it end with a 3 game sweep in the ALDS. :?: :?: