PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/20/04


Hangar18
05-20-2004, 11:11 AM
When the SOX were home, and other team on the road, we were barely beating them in coverage. Now that theyre back,
theyre beating us to a Pulp. The Cubune and CubTimes both Run FLUFF pieces with Pee-Their-Pants-Giddiness on how the Lansing Lugnut game is sold-out. Fatal piece of information they did give out though ........mentioning how ticket sales exploded in the last day or so, Coinciding with the Cubune running an article on HOW to get tickets, How to get there, and even included Lansing teams ph numbers. Coincidence?

ESPN yesterday, right before the start of the Giants vs Evil Empire game mentioned this, complete with live Video Feed "...Stay tuned because coming up Next on ESPN Weds Nite Baseball.........Darren Baker ..........and Dusty Baker .............
take on Barry Bonds........and the SanFrancisco Giants......NEXT!"
The camera pans to punk kid Darren swinging a bat and hitting some balls ....... as if hes warming up for the game.

Cubune:
8 cubs
4 sox
Cub-Times:
6 cubs
3 sox

Standings since Spring Training ...........

Cubs 669
Sox 463

DaveIsHere
05-20-2004, 11:14 AM
This city makes me wanna
:chunks

rahulsekhar
05-20-2004, 11:26 AM
As feared, the temporary blowup over the media bias and the lack of coverage of the Wrigleyville murder has all subsided and we're again greeted with media apathy to the Sox and fawning over the Chubs.

IMO, the Sox had a great opportunity to "keep the fires burning" over the weekend as things were still rolling and a Twins sweep would have put us firmly in first. Instead, the 1st 2 debacles and the corpseball-like efforts provided a nice excuse to push us again into the background.

Typical Sox timing.

ChiSox14305635
05-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Expect the Cubbies to get plenty of press tomorrow now that Wood is headed for the DL.

rahulsekhar
05-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Expect the Cubbies to get plenty of press tomorrow now that Wood is headed for the DL.

Any confirmation? I haven't seen anything but speculation, and most of that's been that he'll start Sunday.

ChiSox14305635
05-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Any confirmation? I haven't seen anything but speculation, and most of that's been that he'll start Sunday.


They just mentioned it on the Score. They're saying right now that it will be retroactive to his last start, so he should be eligible to come off on the 28th.

SoxFan78
05-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
IMO, the Sox had a great opportunity to "keep the fires burning" over the weekend as things were still rolling and a Twins sweep would have put us firmly in first. Instead, the 1st 2 debacles and the corpseball-like efforts provided a nice excuse to push us again into the background.

Typical Sox timing.

Im not so sure that even if the Sox would of swept that things would of changed. This media bias is amazing. The trib giving directions to the Lugnuts stadium???? Unbelievable. The Sox put up 15 last night in a great game for the sox, it wins the series, and all of the coverage is for the Cubs still.

If the Sox would of won in extra innings and the cubs put up 15, the media would be focusing on how hot the Cubs bats are, and how the Sox had to go into extra innings to get the W.

I hope Prior gets lit up...

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
When the SOX were home, and other team on the road, we were barely beating them in coverage. Now that theyre back, theyre beating us to a Pulp. The Cubune and CubTimes both Run FLUFF pieces with Pee-Their-Pants-Giddiness on how the Lansing Lugnut game is sold-out. Fatal piece of information they did give out though ........mentioning how ticket sales exploded in the last day or so, Coinciding with the Cubune running an article on HOW to get tickets, How to get there, and even included Lansing teams ph numbers. Coincidence?

ESPN yesterday, right before the start of the Giants vs Evil Empire game mentioned this, complete with live Video Feed "...Stay tuned because coming up Next on ESPN Weds Nite Baseball.........Darren Baker ..........and Dusty Baker .............take on Barry Bonds........and the SanFrancisco Giants......NEXT!" The camera pans to punk kid Darren swinging a bat and hitting some balls ....... as if hes warming up for the game.

This will make great material for my doctoral dissertation. :smile:

pearso66
05-20-2004, 12:02 PM
I just have to say that Lugnut stadium is not sold out. I just called and got tickets to the game, and from what it sounded, there were plenty left. and thats at noon of gameday. And no I didnt get tickets to today's game because Prior is pitching, We were planning on goin anyway, but since i heard he was pitching, i decided instead of trying to get walk up tickets, I better call ahead so I'm guaranteed tickets.

I expect this game to be just like Wrigley, as it's thirsty Thursday, and beer is $2. I'll update you all when I get back on Prior's performance.

Hangar18
05-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I just have to say that Lugnut stadium is not sold out. I just called and got tickets to the game, and from what it sounded, there were plenty left. and thats at noon of gameday. And no I didnt get tickets to today's game because Prior is pitching, We were planning on goin anyway, but since i heard he was pitching, i decided instead of trying to get walk up tickets, I better call ahead so I'm guaranteed tickets.

I expect this game to be just like Wrigley, as it's thirsty Thursday, and beer is $2. I'll update you all when I get back on Prior's performance.

Do me a Favor...........and BOOO The Messiah every chance you get.........Tell him hes NOT chicagos favorite Son, tell him that Karmas a funny funny thing ...... Yell at him and Ask how hes spending that 10 Million Bucks ........ Tell him HES NOT THE MESSIAH ......... Most of all .......BOOOOO him every single chance you get. Make him feel UNCOMFORTABLE like he did at the AllStar Game, when he was Boooed Ferociously. He thought EVERYONE in Chicago loved him . that was excellent the look on his face when that happened

JRIG
05-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
They just mentioned it on the Score. They're saying right now that it will be retroactive to his last start, so he should be eligible to come off on the 28th.

I'll go on the record saying this Wood injury is going to be a lot more serious than anyone is letting on. Possible season-ender.

And of course the Cubs will cover it up til the last moment, protecting Dusty against even more criticism that his abuse of pitchers last year has led to Wood and Prior's injuries.

Hangar18
05-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I just have to say that Lugnut stadium is not sold out. I just called and got tickets to the game, and from what it sounded, there were plenty left. and thats at noon of gameday.

:sahaf

Pearso66 is a Great Snake ............ Tells Lies in the name of
the Great Serpent whitesox. This game has been Sold Out for Months! The great fans have bought every single ticket in order to see The Messiah Prior pitching . Pearso tells LIES!
LIES I tell you .......

pearso66
05-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Do me a Favor...........and BOOO The Messiah every chance you get.........Tell him hes NOT chicagos favorite Son, tell him that Karmas a funny funny thing ...... Yell at him and Ask how hes spending that 10 Million Bucks ........ Tell him HES NOT THE MESSIAH ......... Most of all .......BOOOOO him every single chance you get. Make him feel UNCOMFORTABLE like he did at the AllStar Game, when he was Boooed Ferociously. He thought EVERYONE in Chicago loved him . that was excellent the look on his face when that happened

I infact did boo when he left the game after the 3rd and everyone gave him a standing O. My g/f hit me because she said I was being rude and Biased. But funny we think the same :D:


Oh, and the game was not sold out, there were still about 2500 tickets available, and while that may not seem like very much, put into consideration that the stadium only holds 12000. But there were a lot of people who came up from chicago to go to the game, and I did see other Sox fans there