PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want Everett back?

Iwritecode
05-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Sorry for the lack of details...

I was listening to the radio last night after the game and I believe it was the J Hood show. He asked whoever it was with him if he had heard any trade rumors that KW might be working on.

The two names he mentioned were Benson from the Pirates and Carl Everett. He also said that Carlos Lee made be trade bait in the deals also. The deadline for the Sox being able to sign Everett again was May 15 right?

batmanZoSo
05-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
. The deadline for the Sox being able to sign Everett again was May 15 right?

D'oh!

I said all last summer we should keep Everett for two more years and trade Lee while his value is sky high coming off a 31 113 season and only 26 or so. He's a better fielder, a switch hitter, and a better clutch hitter. We could've gotten two good years out of Everett until our stud outfield prospects were ready...I mean won't Lee ultimately be moved in favor of Reed or Sweeney anyway?

And by trading Lee we also could've replenished the farm system after the Alomar and Everett trades...or gotten a starter or a great setup man.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2004, 10:37 AM
I don't want Everett on the Sox to play CF. Left field maybe, but not center. If Lee were traded as part of a deal to bring pitching or a legitimate CF like Steve Finley, then I could support the Sox pursuing Everett to play LF.

Clembasbal
05-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The deadline for the Sox being able to sign Everett again was May 15 right?

What does even mean? He is on the Expos right now, and has only played one game since April 14th.

I say I am glad we let him go.

samram
05-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I don't want Everett on the Sox to play CF. Left field maybe, but not center. If Lee were traded as part of a deal to bring pitching or a legitimate CF like Steve Finley, then I could support the Sox pursuing Everett to play LF.

One thing about Everett is that Montreal won't ask for much for him, probably B prospects, considering it's better for them to just have him off their payroll. Man, they have to straighten that team out, or moving them to D.C. or anywhere will be useless because it will be Vidro and a pile of crap.

Hangar18
05-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

And by trading Lee we also could've replenished the farm system after the Alomar and Everett trades...or gotten a starter or a great setup man.

If we werent going to KEEP Everett, then I would like
Franklin Francisco Back (hes the minor leaguer we "traded"
to get Everett, he of the 99 mph fastball)

SEALgep
05-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by samram
One thing about Everett is that Montreal won't ask for much for him, probably B prospects, considering it's better for them to just have him off their payroll. Man, they have to straighten that team out, or moving them to D.C. or anywhere will be useless because it will be Vidro and a pile of crap. He's relatively cheap. He signed a two year deal worth $3 mill per.

samram
05-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He's relatively cheap. He signed a two year deal worth $3 mill per.

Yeah, but that's a quarter of their payroll. :D:

dillio
05-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by samram
Yeah, but that's a quarter of their payroll. :D:
Lol, how true

batmanZoSo
05-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He's relatively cheap. He signed a two year deal worth $3 mill per.

Oh no. 3 million? Wasn't he making 6-8 last year?

Man if he were batting behind Maggs, think how many more runs we'd have scored instead of Lee and Konerko popping up back to back. Those two cost us a few games...if Everett were here and playing like 03, I would venture to say we'd be in first right now.

E Coast Sox Fan
05-20-2004, 02:57 PM
His defense last season was PATHETIC! He was the worst CF I've ever seen in the field. I agree that we would probably be fine in RF or LF but not CF.

If we were to trade Konerko he might make a good DH and OF sub with the Big Hurt playing 1B.

IlliniSox
05-20-2004, 03:06 PM
I still think he was the one who told Doug Meinkavi-whatever good luck in the playoffs during the last series in September (while we were still technically in it).

Chicago papers quietly speculated (during Cubmania, What's a White Sox?)that he might be the one, but Minny beat writers believe beyond a doubt that he said it. I'm sure they've gotten the culprit narrowed down being in that locker room.

So enjoy the summer Karl, get the F*** away from my team.

kittle42
05-20-2004, 03:07 PM
We need him back. I am beginning to believe in dinosaurs again and need to be set straight.

Kilroy
05-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Anyone want Everett back???

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/images/dr_evil.jpg

How 'bout NO?????

Hangar18
05-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Anyone want Everett back???

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/images/dr_evil.jpg

How 'bout NO?????

Hehh hehhheh heh

OEO Magglio
05-20-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm really confused how anyone could not want carl back. I agree I wouldn't want him to play centerfield but if kenny could get rid of carlos and let carl by left, I would absolutely love to have him back. Lets see carl is a lefty with some pop and comes up with huge hits, yeah he's a perfect guy for the sox to have. Question though, isn't there some date where he can't be traded, I thought it was June 1st or July 1st but I have no idea.

dickallen15
05-20-2004, 07:01 PM
There was a thread about not being able to be traded after you sign as a free agent. Last offseason, there was speculation that some team would sign Ivan Rodriquez and trade him back to the Marlins. It can be done. The player just has to waive the temporary no trade.
Everett was a model citizen last season while playing for a contract. He was a less than stellar teammate and citizen prior to that. I still think he's a loose cannon, and would be a much bigger gamble than he was last year.

OEO Magglio
05-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
There was a thread about not being able to be traded after you sign as a free agent. Last offseason, there was speculation that some team would sign Ivan Rodriquez and trade him back to the Marlins. It can be done. The player just has to waive the temporary no trade.
Everett was a model citizen last season while playing for a contract. He was a less than stellar teammate and citizen prior to that. I still think he's a loose cannon, and would be a much bigger gamble than he was last year.
Thanks for the info on how that type of trade would work. I do disagree with you on carl being a loose cannon, everybody on Texas loved the guy and when is the last time you've heard anything bad about Carl?

dickallen15
05-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Thanks for the info on how that type of trade would work. I do disagree with you on carl being a loose cannon, everybody on Texas loved the guy and when is the last time you've heard anything bad about Carl?

The year before last

OEO Magglio
05-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
The year before last
Well I don't remember that but I'll trust you.

Kilroy
05-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I'm really confused how anyone could not want carl back. I agree I wouldn't want him to play centerfield but if kenny could get rid of carlos and let carl by left, I would absolutely love to have him back. Lets see carl is a lefty with some pop and comes up with huge hits, yeah he's a perfect guy for the sox to have. Question though, isn't there some date where he can't be traded, I thought it was June 1st or July 1st but I have no idea.

I just don't see what Everett did here last year that so may Sox fans absolutely loved. He was decent, but if he came back, all he'd do is make us older and slower, and we're already too station-to-station as it is. I'll keep Lee thank you.

HITMEN OF 77
05-21-2004, 02:56 AM
I was against letting him slip away last year, so for sure I think we should get him back. Unless that means getting rid of Konerko, then no deal.

A. Cavatica
05-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I was against letting him slip away last year, so for sure I think we should get him back. Unless that means getting rid of Konerko, then no deal.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I was delighted to see him go, and I'd trade Konerko in a heartbeat.