PDA

View Full Version : Sox Greatest clutch hitter in the last 30 years?


Malgar 12
05-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Im only 28 so I figured going back any farther would be kinda pointless. Dick Allen for instance has a good reputaion but I never saw him play.

Off of the top of my head I would have to go with mid to late eighties Harold. Didn't he lead the major in GWRBI in '85?

Brian26
05-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Not sure about '85, but Harold did lead the league in 1983. He was awesome.

It's a great question, by the way. I'd put Lance Johnson up there, too. It seemed like he always came through with a big hit in '92-'94 when we needed on.

jackbrohamer
05-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Robin Ventura seemed to come up big in the clutch more than anyone else I can think of.

Hangar18
05-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Jerry Hairston ........... so many pinch homers in the clutch...
man, the guy was awesome

DC Sox Fan
05-20-2004, 09:47 AM
I'd have to put Frank up there. I can remember a few games in the early '90s where he'd have a knack for hitting one out at just the right time. Best example I can remember was a game I was at in B'more where he took the then unhittable Gregg Olson deep in the top of the 9th.

duke of dorwood
05-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Carlton Fisk

samram
05-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
I'd have to put Frank up there. I can remember a few games in the early '90s where he'd have a knack for hitting one out at just the right time. Best example I can remember was a game I was at in B'more where he took the then unhittable Gregg Olson deep in the top of the 9th.

I also remember in 1993 when he took Jeff Montgomery deep in the bottom of the eighth inning after he had struck out 3 times against Gubicza or someone like that.

But the best was Robin Ventura. If the bases were loaded and he was up, it was almost a guaranteed hit. The best was the grand slam off Gossage in 1992 to win the game in the bottom of the ninth.

idseer
05-20-2004, 10:07 AM
harold ... hands down.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by samram
The best was the grand slam off Gossage in 1992 to win the game in the bottom of the ninth.

That was pure clutch. I remember Wayne Hagin's radio call on that one. It still gives me goosebumps.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by samram
The best was the grand slam off Gossage in 1992 to win the game in the bottom of the ninth.

Wasn't that also on the night of July 31, to conclude a month in which Ventura absolutely carried the team? When he crossed the plate, wasn't that when Frank picked him up and carried him to the dugout? :smile:

samram
05-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Wasn't that also on the night of July 31, to conclude a month in which Ventura absolutely carried the team? When he crossed the plate, wasn't that when Frank picked him up and carried him to the dugout? :smile:

Yeah, he hit 12 homers that month or something. I wish the Yankees still sucked now like they did then.

greenpeach
05-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Jerry Hairston ........... so many pinch homers in the clutch...
man, the guy was awesome

I'll agree with you & probably so would Milt Wilcox. Remember when Hairston broke up his perfect game in the ninth inning in 1983 ?

JRIG
05-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Wasn't that also on the night of July 31, to conclude a month in which Ventura absolutely carried the team? When he crossed the plate, wasn't that when Frank picked him up and carried him to the dugout? :smile:

Almost certain that was '91, not '92.

Brian26
05-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by samram
I also remember in 1993 when he took Jeff Montgomery deep in the bottom of the eighth inning after he had struck out 3 times against Gubicza or someone like that.

Rocket homer into the leftfield bleachers in the hot, summer, Saturday night haze. Very memorable night!

Brian26
05-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Almost certain that was '91, not '92.

July 31, 1991. I still have it on tape. Bill Murray in the crowd clapping after Ventura rounded the bases. Big Frank lifted Robin up over his shoulder, and I think that's one of the first times Hawk ever said "Big Hurt".

Brian26
05-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Wasn't that also on the night of July 31, to conclude a month in which Ventura absolutely carried the team? When he crossed the plate, wasn't that when Frank picked him up and carried him to the dugout? :smile:

Yes. Ventura has like 12 homers during the month. Amazing.

Baby Fisk
05-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Where's the love for good ol' Number 8? (I don't mean Olivo, think 1993.)

Foulke You
05-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Jose Valentin has been pretty clutch since he got here in 2000. Seems like he has a knack for the big hit late in ballgames. Not sure if he is as clutch as Harold or Robin was but pretty close.

StillMissOzzie
05-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
July 31, 1991. I still have it on tape. Bill Murray in the crowd clapping after Ventura rounded the bases. Big Frank lifted Robin up over his shoulder, and I think that's one of the first times Hawk ever said "Big Hurt".

I was at that game, and screamed myself hoarse. Tough call, but I'd have to vote for either Robin or Harold.

SMO
:gulp: