PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going up to the Twinkee Dome this weekend?

Foulke You
05-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Any WSI-ers going to make the trek to the Twinkee Dome this weekend? I'm going up for the Friday game. Buehrle vs Silva. I'll be in the lower G.A. section in left field trying to bring a win home for the Pale Hose in enemy territory.

This is my first time heading up to the Dome, anybody have any suggestions on restaurants or drinking establishments that are safe for White Sox clad Chicagoans? :gulp: I ask because I've heard the food in the dome is pretty awful. I know Hangar and Torn Labrum have been up there or perhaps our resident Twinkee fans, Ma-Gaga and Fwghwads can offer up some suggestions?

I've survived Fenway, Wrigley, Busch Stadium, and Miller Park cheering for the White Sox. Time to add the Hump Dome to my resume. :cool:

Bruck35
05-20-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm heading up for the Saturday and Sunday games. If anyone knows of a meeting spot for Sox fans before Saturday or Sunday's games, let it be known here. I'd really hate to spend the hours before the game surrounded by only twinkie fans at the local taverns.

SWEEP THE TWINKIES!!

A.T. Money
05-20-2004, 01:07 AM
My girlfriend and I will be there for the Sat and Sun games.

OurBitchinMinny
05-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Dont worry about wearing sox stuff. You might hear some smart ass comments, but on the whole twins fans are ******* like cub fans. There are plenty of bars around. I usually go to sargent prestons or grandmas. Those are within walking distance of the metrodome, but kind of far walks. They are more U of M bars, but not on campus. IM not real positive about around the dome, but I know there is stuff around. I will be a tomorrow nights game I think. Cant go any other times because of work and drinking (fri, night). Lets take 3/4.

ma-gaga
05-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
This is my first time heading up to the Dome, anybody have any suggestions on restaurants or drinking establishments that are safe for White Sox clad Chicagoans? :gulp:

Nah. My favorite places downtown aren't particularly conducive to out of towners. I know there's a bar in St.Paul that is a "Bears Headquarters" during the NFL season, but that's probably too far away. That said:

Champps - great food
Old Chicago - ditto
Lyon's Pub - my fave local establishment
Rock Bottom Brewery - Great beer
Maxwells - Twinsgeek HQ
and
Grumpys

Are all good places to eat and drink, Twins fans will let you have your fun even fully decked out in Sox Regalia as long as you and crew are being semi-respectful. :D: Champs/Old Chicago/Lyons' Pub and Rock Bottom Brewery are near the Target Center, about 8-10 blocks west of the Metrodome. Maxwells and Grumpys are north of the dome by 2-3 blocks, and there's a bar across the street from the dome which I'm totally spacing on right now... That place is good. Typical sports bar fare. Surprising big.

Otherwise, east across 35W towards the University of Minnesota, there's a couple of good bars. Grandmas, Moose Country, and Town Hall Brewery. THB has fantastic beer. That's like 8-10 blocks away.

The place in St.Paul is called ... crap I can't remember, stupid T-Wolves winning has put me in delirium... Irish bar a couple of blocks east of Lexington Avenue on Energy Park Drive. I'll post it later when I remember.

Maybe Soxfaninminny can help you out. He's maybe a little young, but try him. Where are you staying? I can probably direct you a little better from there. If it's downtown, you should be set, just hop in a cab or walk, everythings close enough. Minneapolis is a small city compared to Chi. FYI, The light rail cars are just being tested. They won't be operable until June...

ma-gaga
05-20-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Dont worry about wearing sox stuff. You might hear some smart ass comments
I usually go to sargent prestons or grandmas. Those are within walking distance of the metrodome, but kind of far walks. They are more U of M bars, but not on campus.

See. I spend time writing the thesis up and chisoxfaninminny jumps in...

:)

Foulke You
05-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Nah. My favorite places downtown aren't particularly conducive to out of towners. I know there's a bar in St.Paul that is a "Bears Headquarters" during the NFL season, but that's probably too far away. That said:

Champps - great food
Old Chicago - ditto
Maxwells - Twinsgeek HQ
and
Grumpys

Are all good places to eat and drink, Twins fans will let you have your fun even fully decked out in Sox Regalia as long as you and crew are being semi-respectful. :D: Champs/Old Chicago/Lyons' Pub and Rock Bottom Brewery are near the Target Center, about 8-10 blocks west of the Metrodome. Maxwells and Grumpys are north of the dome by 2-3 blocks, and there's a bar across the street from the dome which I'm totally spacing on right now... That place is good. Typical sports bar fare. Surprising big.

Otherwise, east across 35W towards the University of Minnesota, there's a couple of good bars. Grandmas, Moose Country, and Town Hall Brewery. THB has fantastic beer. That's like 8-10 blocks away.

The place in St.Paul is called ... crap I can't remember, stupid T-Wolves winning has put me in delirium... Irish bar a couple of blocks east of Lexington Avenue on Energy Park Drive. I'll post it later when I remember.

Maybe Soxfaninminny can help you out. He's maybe a little young, but try him. Where are you staying? I can probably direct you a little better from there. If it's downtown, you should be set, just hop in a cab or walk, everythings close enough. Minneapolis is a small city compared to Chi. FYI, The light rail cars are just being tested. They won't be operable until June...

Hey thanks for the info SoxfaninMinny and Ma-gaga. Appreciated.

I'm staying at a Marriott Courtyard at "The Depot" which is on 3rd Ave. in downtown Minneapolis. Mapquest says it is something like 0.8 miles from the Dome so I probably can walk to the game and at least the bar you mentioned that is near the dome.

Town Hall Brewery and Rock Bottom Brewery have my interest peaked though. I'm always on the lookout for good local beers. How far are they from the dome? Perhaps, if we have time we'll check them out.

You don't have to worry about us Sox fans misbehavin'. :D: I try to act like I want other fans who come to my ballpark to act. When you are on the road, you root for your team and be respectful of the people around you. Haven't gotten arrested or killed yet. Hopefully it will be a packed house, I've heard the dome can be loud with a big crowd. I will also be taking notes out in left field on the exaust fans blowing in when the Sox are up. :cool:

Btw, how is parking in downtown Minny? Is there a lot of street parking?

jeremyb1
05-20-2004, 01:46 AM
I live in St. Paul so rest assured I'll attend at least one game this weekend.

ma-gaga
05-20-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm staying at a Marriott Courtyard at "The Depot" which is on 3rd Ave. in downtown Minneapolis.
Town Hall Brewery and Rock Bottom Brewery have my interest peaked though. I'm always on the lookout for good local beers. How far are they from the dome?

Parking should be fine. There's a couple of surface lots near the Depot on Washington Avenue by the Dome that should suit you well. Ask the hotel what they recommend. Weekend parking is usually going to be pretty cheap (free).

Since the T-Wolves beat the Kings, they play the Lakers on Friday night. Downtown should be packed, parking near the Target Center will be crazy. White Sox fans will be ignored this weekend. The 'hated' Laker fans will be the Twin Cities enemy for the next two weeks. Actually the Twins games this weekend are very likely going to be sparsely attended.

Rock Bottom is most excellent. Town Hall is almost as good. The beers are well worth the price. Rock Bottom is on 9th Street and Hennepin Ave and Town Hall is over by '7 Corners', at the intersection of Washington Ave, Cedar Ave and ... gah. I don't know the other 3 corners there. On your mapquest map, head east on Washington Avenue from the Depot. Go over the highway (35W), and you can't miss it.

If you want to run into a crowd, head towards the Target Center (1st Avenue and 7th Street) on Friday night. It should be absolutely crazy. There's a ton of bars and with the T-Wolves playing, it'll be madness. That's what I would recommend.

Good luck.

fhqwhgads
05-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I will also be taking notes out in left field on the exaust fans blowing in when the Sox are up. :cool:

Don't forget to note that all the fans (including the ones behind home plate) are blowing at the same time.

OK, the best parking value is $4 about 2.5 blocks from the Dome on the corner of 6th St and 5th Ave. Here's a map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=1wiEMjGFiBs%3d&longitude=bg0dBjZXuRg%3d&name=Hubert%20H%2e%20Humphrey%20Metrodome&countryid=250&country=US&address=900%20S%2e%20Fifth%20St%2e&city=Minneapolis&state=MN&zipcode=55415&phone=612%2d332%2d0386&cat=Metrodome&spurl=0&searchtype=search). Enjoy!

whitesoxwilkes
05-20-2004, 09:49 AM

there's a bar across the street from the dome which I'm totally spacing on right now... That place is good. Typical sports bar fare. Surprising big.

That's Humphrey's. Great nachos. Both times I have been up to the Baggie Dome there's usually been a few other Sox fans in there before and after the games.

One cool thing you may want to check out is the street fair type thing they have set up on the west side of the stadium. It was there last May that Hangar18 and I proudly represented our fair city and our fair ballclub in the Twins Trivia contest.

BeerHandle
05-20-2004, 10:12 AM

Champps - great food
Old Chicago - ditto
Maxwells - Twinsgeek HQ
and
Grumpys

You can't forget Rick's Cabaret downtown!

fhqwhgads
05-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
That's Humphrey's.

Hubert's, actually. :D:

Frankfan4life
05-20-2004, 01:42 PM
My boyfriend and I went last year and we wore Sox gear and cheered for the Sox and no one bothered us. I saw about 7 or 8 other Sox fans there.

The only problem we had was that we couldn't think of the name of the stadium when we took a cab from the hotel all I could think of was Twinkie Dome (D@mn you Hawk!).

I like the idea of having a domed stadium, when we left it was raining cats and dogs and we had no clue at all about the weather while we were in there.

I'll be listening for you guys cheering for the Sox I just hope Channel 26 at least tries to show some of you guys in the stands. GO SOX!!

sas1974
05-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Town Hall Brewery and Rock Bottom Brewery have my interest peaked though. I'm always on the lookout for good local beers. How far are they from the dome? Perhaps, if we have time we'll check them out.

FYI, Rock Bottom is a chain. That have them in the Chicagoland area, so you may want to try one of the other local places.

jshanahanjr
05-20-2004, 03:02 PM
The Dome Dogs are brutal! They let them boil all day and night before they pull out the deformed tasteless hot dog.

OurBitchinMinny
05-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr
The Dome Dogs are brutal! They let them boil all day and night before they pull out the deformed tasteless hot dog.

I hate them too, but most twins fans seem to love them. Go figure. If you havent been to the dome, then get ready for some awful concessions, especially compared to comiskey. Its probably the worst in baseball. But beer is beer and they do serve that.

nasox
05-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Since the T-Wolves beat the Kings, they play the Lakers on Friday night. Downtown should be packed, parking near the Target Center will be crazy. White Sox fans will be ignored this weekend. The 'hated' Laker fans will be the Twin Cities enemy for the next two weeks. Actually the Twins games this weekend are very likely going to be sparsely attended.

If you want to run into a crowd, head towards the Target Center (1st Avenue and 7th Street) on Friday night. It should be absolutely crazy. There's a ton of bars and with the T-Wolves playing, it'll be madness. That's what I would recommend.

Good luck.

I had tickets to that game per a friend of mine but I can't make it :(: :(: :(: We were gonna go to that game and then hit up the sox game later in the weekend but, alas, it will not be the case as I had a prior engagement that i HAVE to attend (actually two, a wedding and a funeral). O well, but what really sucks is that I would have had something like 5th or 6th row at the lakers t-wolves game. Man o man.....

hose
05-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr

The only time I ever threw away food at a ball game was at the Metro Dome. One bite and I deposited both Dome Dogs into a garbage can.

hose
05-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Oh by the way you can't bring a broom into the Metro Dome either. In 2000 I used a broom as a pole for my Sox flag and the wouldn't let me in with the broom.

I had to explain what I was doing with a broom to the Twin fans while waiting in the ticket line......not the brightest bunch you'll run into. Once they understood they all complimented me on the clever idea......I guess they don't get out much up there .

The Sox clinched the division that day but didn't get the sweep.

HomeFish
05-20-2004, 05:54 PM
The Cell has the same no-broom policy too, does it not? I got turned away with one last year, but I saw some at the KC series.

grizzbr
05-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Fisrt post here- SOX fan stuck living in Minn.(job transfer)... Southsider.

Over the course of 15 years, I've turned the Chaska (Mpls. suburb) VFW post into a SOX bar.

SOX pocket schedules on the bar.
Season schedule on the wall (right next to Twinkies).
SOX logo stickers on the cash registers and mens room door.

Brother from Chgo. coming up today. We'll be wearing our lucky "black alternates" and high-fiving when Buerhle kicks butt tonight.

If your going to the Humpty Dumpty dome don't worry about wearing black. These fans up here are more into what crap is playing on the centerfield video board then who's wearing what.

My son (SOX fan) and I have the brooms ready for Sunday!

...and that's a WHITE SOX WINNER!

DC Sox Fan
05-21-2004, 10:24 AM
The Cell has the same no-broom policy too, does it not? I got turned away with one last year, but I saw some at the KC series.

I remeber in 93 (I think) trying to bring a dinky little broom in when we were sweeping the Twinkies. Got taken with my ticket.