PDA

View Full Version : Ross Gload

DrummerGeorgefan
05-19-2004, 11:02 PM
I am in the minority? I think Gload has been one of the best pickups. The guy is able to sub in at 4 (if not more) of 8 fielding positions. He swings a good stick. I have friends that played with him in the minors and say he is underated. I agree. What do you all think.

samram
05-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, he's been in the line-up each time they have scored 15, so he's got that going for him. He looks like he has trouble catching up to good fastballs though. And he should never bat third like Ozzie has had him do once or twice this year.

stillz
05-19-2004, 11:09 PM
He's been solid - no question.

I hope he gets into the lineup tomorrow.

duke of dorwood
05-19-2004, 11:12 PM
He's a versatile bench player-the type winning teams need. No one expected this-the lack of left handed hitting gave him a job. Just lilke Borchard should get one too

A. Cavatica
05-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I expected it. I think he'd come close to matching PK's production if he played every day (or at least against RHP), and of course he costs next to nothing.

MRKARNO
05-19-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm getting sick of PK against righties to the point where if Gload is hitting .300 against righties and Paulie's hitting .300 against lefties then they should be platooned. It wont happen, but it should

Deadguy
05-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I'm getting sick of PK against righties to the point where if Gload is hitting .300 against righties and Paulie's hitting .300 against lefties then they should be platooned. It wont happen, but it should

You're absolutely correct, as this would be best for the team. Gload is also a better fielder and baserunner. Sadly, a position player making 8 million dollars won't be benched for 75-80% of our games.

I liked PalehoseGeorge's suggestion in the off season about selectively placing Konerko in the lineup mostly against lefties, to deceptively inflate his numbers, so that we could dump him and his contract off on to some other team.

Although I'm sure opposing team scouts and GMs are aware that Konerko does next to nothing against RHers, since the discrepancy in his splits is huge.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-20-2004, 12:23 AM
IMO, if we could work PK into some trade deal with another team, either for a pitcher or otherwise, Gload would be a fine replacement at 1B. His defense is great, hitting solid, and on off days Frank could take the 1B role with someone else filling in at DH.......

Foulke You
05-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Gload shows me he can hit at the big league level but I was pretty impressed with the way he handled CF today. He took good routes to the balls and made himself a couple nice catches. How would this translate over a period of time? Not sure, but he looked ok out there tonight. We'll have to see him in some more games but his game tonight hopefully warrants another start for him. He certainly looked more comfortable out there than Everett did in his brief Sox tenure.

hold2dibber
05-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Let's not get too worked up about Gload just yet. I agree he's looked pretty good, but the sample size is WAY too small to jump to any conclusions and, IIRC, his minor league numbers don't suggest that he'll ever be an everyday major-leaguer. Can anyone compare his minor league stats to Liefer's or Lyle Mouton's? I'm guessing Gload is in that mode (at best).

batmanZoSo
05-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Let's not get too worked up about Gload just yet. I agree he's looked pretty good, but the sample size is WAY too small to jump to any conclusions and, IIRC, his minor league numbers don't suggest that he'll ever be an everyday major-leaguer. Can anyone compare his minor league stats to Liefer's or Lyle Mouton's? I'm guessing Gload is in that mode (at best).

But he could also go as high as Brian Daubach, who had a very similar career, not making the majors until his late 20s.

SEALgep
05-20-2004, 01:24 AM
Let's not get too worked up about Gload just yet. I agree he's looked pretty good, but the sample size is WAY too small to jump to any conclusions and, IIRC, his minor league numbers don't suggest that he'll ever be an everyday major-leaguer. Can anyone compare his minor league stats to Liefer's or Lyle Mouton's? I'm guessing Gload is in that mode (at best). Gload lead the International League last year with a .315 average, with like 19 homers I believe. The guy has the ability to hit, and he has shown it throughout his career. His major league stints included sparatic at bats over a brief time period each time. I think it's a great idea having him in CF as long as his defense holds up. I think it would be a big upgrade with him in the lineup everyday.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-20-2004, 05:14 AM
gload>graff?

hold2dibber
05-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Gload lead the International League last year with a .315 average, with like 19 homers I believe. The guy has the ability to hit, and he has shown it throughout his career. His major league stints included sparatic at bats over a brief time period each time. I think it's a great idea having him in CF as long as his defense holds up. I think it would be a big upgrade with him in the lineup everyday.

Here are Gload's minor league stats: link (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=4252)

Here are Jeff Liefer's minor league stats: link (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=1246)

Here are Rowand's: link (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=1440)

Here are Lyle Mouton's: link (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?Name=HFHA)

These guys all had decent but far-from-spectacular minor league numbers. Gload may break the mold; he has been pretty consistent over his career so I don't mind giving him a chance. Just don't expect too much from him, because more likely than not he's not going to be much more than a decent bench guy for a year or two.

SEALgep
05-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Here are Gload's minor league stats: link (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=4252)

Here are Jeff Liefer's minor league stats: link (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=1246)

Here are Rowand's: link (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=1440)

Here are Lyle Mouton's: link (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?Name=HFHA)

These guys all had decent but far-from-spectacular minor league numbers. Gload may break the mold; he has been pretty consistent over his career so I don't mind giving him a chance. Just don't expect too much from him, because more likely than not he's not going to be much more than a decent bench guy for a year or two. First off, he's batting .300 right now with sparatic at bats. And second, I'm not going to say this guy won't amount to anything because of what others have done or haven't done. Gload has a good quick stroke and also goes the other way well. That's what it takes to be a major league hitter. If it required everyone in the minors to bat .400 in order to be a good ML player, than the league would suck. Gload has shown he can play IMO, and I would love it if he were in the lineup on a regular basis. Possibly in CF if his defense hold up out there.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
You're absolutely correct, as this would be best for the team. Gload is also a better fielder and baserunner. Sadly, a position player making 8 million dollars won't be benched for 75-80% of our games.

I liked PalehoseGeorge's suggestion in the off season about selectively placing Konerko in the lineup mostly against lefties, to deceptively inflate his numbers, so that we could dump him and his contract off on to some other team.

Although I'm sure opposing team scouts and GMs are aware that Konerko does next to nothing against RHers, since the discrepancy in his splits is huge.

Are there not a disproportionate number of left-handed starters in the AL Central? Maybe he wouldn't have to sit 75-80% of the time. :smile:

I too like the idea of a platoon. It could only help.

hold2dibber
05-20-2004, 11:55 AM
First off, he's batting .300 right now with sparatic at bats. And second, I'm not going to say this guy won't amount to anything because of what others have done or haven't done. Gload has a good quick stroke and also goes the other way well. That's what it takes to be a major league hitter. If it required everyone in the minors to bat .400 in order to be a good ML player, than the league would suck. Gload has shown he can play IMO, and I would love it if he were in the lineup on a regular basis. Possibly in CF if his defense hold up out there.

You're missing my point (probably because I haven't made it very well), which is that although Gload's played well so far, the sample size is extremely small and his minor league stats (a very large sample size - over 3,000 ABs) don't suggest that he'll be better than average (may be able to get on base at a decent clip, but not much pop). He may be one of those rare guys who is a late bloomer, and I agree that I like what I've seen so far - he has a nice swing and a decent approach at the plate. He probably should be starting over PK against righties until/unless he proves he can't get the job done. But there's a tendency for fans to get into the "back-up quarterback syndrome" with untested guys who have only a tiny bit of playing time. Does he deserve to get more chances? Absolutey. But I suggest not getting to worked up about him until we actually see what he can do with those additional chances. (And that's why I brought up Liefer and Mouton, because those were two other guys I remember some fans being gung-ho about based on limited playing time, but who turned out to be not so good thereafter; Daryl Boston probably belongs in the same category).

SEALgep
05-20-2004, 11:57 AM
You're missing my point (probably because I haven't made it very well), which is that although Gload's played well so far, the sample size is extremely small and his minor league stats (a very large sample size - over 3,000 ABs) don't suggest that he'll be better than average (may be able to get on base at a decent clip, but not much pop). He may be one of those rare guys who is a late bloomer, and I agree that I like what I've seen so far - he has a nice swing and a decent approach at the plate. He probably should be starting over PK against righties until/unless he proves he can't get the job done. But there's a tendency for fans to get into the "back-up quarterback syndrome" with untested guys who have only a tiny bit of playing time. Does he deserve to get more chances? Absolutey. But I suggest not getting to worked up about him until we actually see what he can do with those additional chances. (And that's why I brought up Liefer and Mouton, because those were two other guys I remember some fans being gung-ho about based on limited playing time, but who turned out to be not so good thereafter; Daryl Boston probably belongs in the same category). Gotcha. I still like the guy a lot, and I think maybe we differ on what is average in the ML. No big deal, I'm sure we both hope for the best for the guy to help our team.

kittle42
05-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Ross Gload sucks.

SEALgep
05-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Ross Gload sucks. Care to elaborate?

E Coast Sox Fan
05-20-2004, 02:48 PM
How did we get Gload?

SEALgep
05-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
How did we get Gload? From Colorado, but I forget how it actually went down.

kittle42
05-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Care to elaborate?

I need to go back and find my various pontifications on Ross Gload's suckitude.

kittle42
05-20-2004, 03:06 PM
From Colorado, but I forget how it actually went down.

He was most likley traded for a bag of magical beans.

SEALgep
05-20-2004, 03:09 PM
He was most likley traded for a bag of magical beans. The guy is batting .302 with some pretty good defense to go along with it, with sparatic at bats no less. We have worse performers on our team. What exactly did he do that makes you hate him?

kittle42
05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
The guy is batting .302 with some pretty good defense to go along with it, with sparatic at bats no less. We have worse performers on our team. What exactly did he do that makes you hate him?

I don't hate him and I do believe it may have been you and I who had this discussion before. I just hate that a group of people seem to believe he is the second coming of Ted Williams.

hold2dibber
05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
From Colorado, but I forget how it actually went down.

I think he was a minor-league FA (but I'm not sure).

SEALgep
05-20-2004, 03:26 PM
I don't hate him and I do believe it may have been you and I who had this discussion before. I just hate that a group of people seem to believe he is the second coming of Ted Williams. Gload is Ted William's clone, you can't be seriously arguing against that.

kittle42
05-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Gload is Ted William's clone, you can't be seriously arguing against that.

Who is Ted William? :smile:

Baby Fisk
05-20-2004, 03:54 PM
Gload is a poor man's Hollandsworth. :D:

BTW, it's Giants 2 - Cubs 0 in the 5th.