PDA

View Full Version : Mondesi in CF?

E Coast Sox Fan
05-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Is Raul Mondesi a possible answer in CF? The Pirates just terminated his contract for breach of contract.

According to the news, if Mondesi clears waivers on Friday (which makes him a free agent), he could play for another team.

Mondesi, 33, has a career batting average of .276 with 266 homers and 842 RBI in 12 seasons. Additionally, Mondesi has had some speed (stealing a career high 32 bases in '97 and 22 last year). Doesn't solve our lefthanded bat problem though.

Under this scenario, we wouldn't have to part with any of our current players or prospects.

Palehose13
05-19-2004, 05:33 PM
How did he breach his contract?

MRKARNO
05-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13

By telling the Pirates that he wasn't going to play all of the rest of the year

DaveIsHere
05-19-2004, 05:35 PM
lets pick him up, can't hurt

pearso66
05-19-2004, 05:37 PM
IIRC he is taking the year off because he is having legal problems
his assets have been frozen, and the Pirates weren't paying him. I doubt he would come back anyway

dickallen15
05-19-2004, 05:40 PM
No, he is the epitome of clubhouse cancer. He left the team to take care of personal troubles in the DR, then down there talks about how he is unhappy with his contract. I doubt he can play CF anyway.

MRKARNO
05-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
his assets have been frozen, and the Pirates weren't paying him. I doubt he would come back anyway

Well that's what he said, but it sound like he wants to come back afterall and the Pirates aren't going to give him the opportunity.

minastirith67
05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
No, he is the epitome of clubhouse cancer. He left the team to take care of personal troubles in the DR, then down there talks about how he is unhappy with his contract. I doubt he can play CF anyway.

I agree. This guy is so anathema to any clubhouse really. Seems like he's a pretty selfish dude, which I suppose is not really surprising given his various salaries over his career. He should go to Montreal.

thepaulbowski
05-19-2004, 05:50 PM

He still has legal issues, but his assests are no longer frozen.

Also, just say....NO to Mondesi!!

samram
05-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15

Nothing more need be said.

WinningUgly!
05-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13

Originally posted by MRKARNO

By telling the Pirates that he wasn't going to play all of the rest of the year

Mondesi abruptly left the Pirates last Friday after a week of fielding phone calls from anxious friends and relatives, who grew worried after an attorney for Guerrero petitioned Dominican authorities on April 27 to seize vehicles and furniture from the outfielder's palatial estate in San Cristobal.

The sheriff's office in San Cristobal rejected the petition on May 6, but Guerrero's attorney has put a lien on Mondesi's home.

Since retiring as a player, Guerrero has worked as an instructor and agent for Dominican baseball prospects.

Late last year, Guerrero won a $1 million judgment against Mondesi. A lower-court judge ruled that Mondesi must give 1 percent of his career earnings to Guerrero as payment for past baseball instruction.

The judgment led the Pirates to temporarily put Mondesi's paychecks in an escrow account.

Linky (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04135/316223.stm)

StockdaleForVeep
05-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Do we really want another carl everett?

Mickster
05-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Mondesi in CF?

Ummmmm......................NO!

batmanZoSo
05-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep

Oh my god yes!

Mondesi, no.

Mark my words, people, losing Everett will come back to haunt us....

sorry, I just wanted to be cryptic there. But he was great with us.

mantis1212
05-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep

What's was wrong with Everett?? I'd take him in a second. I think he's gotten a bad rap after watching him play for us...

he_gone_89
05-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Mondesi in CF?

Ummmmm......................NO!

Mondesi at DH

Absolutly

this dude has a monster bat and great speed
he's not that good of a center fielder[he's better at CF than Harris
but at 33,he can run the bases 10 times better than our current
bigbat,Frank thomas.

this would be good for the team,he could be a key player
in the "division race" months

Nick@Nite
05-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
Is Raul Mondesi a possible answer in CF? The Pirates just terminated his contract for breach of contract.

According to the news, if Mondesi clears waivers on Friday (which makes him a free agent), he could play for another team.

Mondesi, 33, has a career batting average of .276 with 266 homers and 842 RBI in 12 seasons. Additionally, Mondesi has had some speed (stealing a career high 32 bases in '97 and 22 last year). Doesn't solve our left handed bat problem though.

Under this scenario, we wouldn't have to part with any of our current players or prospects.

Raul Mondesi?... Just like Milton Bradley... Don't pass go... Don't collect $200.00 ... No Thanks.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Raul has a cannon for arm IIRC. however, he is a total ass in the clubhouse, we dont need that. and who the hell knows what is going on with his issues back home.

NO WAY

bigdommer
05-19-2004, 10:45 PM
First, on Raul Mondesi: I would rather have one lucky winner from WSI get to play CF every day than see Raul Mondesi in a White Sox uniform, let alone playing CF.

Second, on Carl Everett: Carl may clash with managers, Carl may not believe in dinosaurs, and Carl may think that Neil Armstrong was a government fabricated character, but one thing you cannot say about Carl is that he did not play the game hard. Carl played CF hard, Carl was agressive at the plate, Carl took out second basemen with hard slides, and Carl busted his butt down the line after hitting what might have been a double play ball.