PDA

View Full Version : Rozner on Beltran to Sox


rahulsekhar
05-19-2004, 10:45 AM
The Sox have much in their favor because they possess a GM in Kenny Williams who isn't afraid to be aggressive and thinks in terms of winning it all.

The White Sox haven't had a center fielder since before the turn of the century and they have the young and cheap arms necessary to make this deal happen.

The Sox also can let the Royals choose from outfielders Joe Borchard, Aaron Rowand, Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, and they can afford the $3 million it'll cost to pay Beltran the final two months of the season.



I'd almost rather include Rauch or Diaz than Anderson or Sweeney, but if we can get Carlos for Rowand+Borchard......run, don't walk to the phone.

Borchard+Rauch for Beltran+some low level prospect (KW's been pretty good at picking "throw-ins" that end up being decent prospects). Then Valentin for a reliever or a starter and I think we're in pretty good business.

And while I love Maggs, there's no contest: let him walk and put $14-16mil towards Beltran. We've got the Ozzie factor, the "we're not NY" factor, and the Latin factor working in our favor.

Tekijawa
05-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
We've got the Ozzie factor, the "we're not NY" factor, and the Latin factor working in our favor.

Yeah but we also have blue seats, an unsafe neighborhood, a steep upperdeck...

Mickster
05-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Yeah but we also have blue seats, an unsafe neighborhood, a steep upperdeck...

Did you also mention our neighbors to the north? :D:

Randar68
05-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
I'd almost rather include Rauch or Diaz than Anderson or Sweeney, but if we can get Carlos for Rowand+Borchard......run, don't walk to the phone.

Borchard+Rauch for Beltran+some low level prospect (KW's been pretty good at picking "throw-ins" that end up being decent prospects). Then Valentin for a reliever or a starter and I think we're in pretty good business.

And while I love Maggs, there's no contest: let him walk and put $14-16mil towards Beltran. We've got the Ozzie factor, the "we're not NY" factor, and the Latin factor working in our favor.

PLEASE NO! At least not on Anderson or Sweeney. One thing to keep in mind, neither can be traded until 12 months from the time they signed, although they could possibly be included as a PTBNL.

Scary. Anyone else in the system is fair game, IMO.

Reed, Anderson, Sweeney and Honel are probably the only untouchables, and I'm not as certain about Honel, at least in the view of the organization (although I know they wouldn't give any of them up for a rent-a-player).

sas1974
05-19-2004, 11:31 AM
I am not even sure Borchard or Rauch is worth for a rent a player within the division. If we decide we want to go after this guy, why not wait until the off season? I agree he'd be a huge help right now, but I'd still prefer a solid starter at this point.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
I am not even sure Borchard or Rauch is worth for a rent a player within the division. If we decide we want to go after this guy, why not wait until the off season? I agree he'd be a huge help right now, but I'd still prefer a solid starter at this point.

Well, in all reality, Beltran would equal a Sandwich pick and a 2nd rounder (probably a 1st rounder) at worst. Probably the first overall Sandwich pick at that, should he sign elsewhere.

Frankly, I'd rather get a Garcia, RJ, Livan, etc. and add a guy like Finley, who won't cost as much. Is he the superstar? no, but he fills our immediate needs just as well and at a lesser cost.

Beltran's real appeal is his long-term potential. He's only worth trading for if it's contingent on signing a deal. Otherwise, you might as well wait if you're intent on getting him, and sign him as a FA.

As I've said, I would MUCH rather pay Beltran 16 million a year, than Maggs 14 million.

fquaye149
05-19-2004, 11:37 AM
rob neyer has a column in which he basically says that beltran is overrated by most anyone, despite being a fine centerfielder, and that any team that gets him is likely to overpay.

of course he bases this claim on OPS and not at all on his speed or fielding, and I would tend to put beltran in my top 10 players in baseball anyway. . .but for whatever that's worth. . .


i'd love to see him in black

Hangar18
05-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
PLEASE NO! At least not on Anderson or Sweeney. One thing to keep in mind, neither can be traded until 12 months from the time they signed, although they could possibly be included as a PTBNL.

Scary. Anyone else in the system is fair game, IMO.

Reed, Anderson, Sweeney and Honel are probably the only untouchables, and I'm not as certain about Honel, at least in the view of the organization (although I know they wouldn't give any of them up for a rent-a-player).

On the Score Cub Morning Show, Murph took some calls from Presumptuous Cub Fans. They too now think they can get BELTRAN, except cub fans are used to Getting GOOD players for Nothing. They were proposing sending Cub-Bust-of-the-Year Corey Patterson, Buster Farnsworth and some "B or C level minor leaguers" to KC. SOX are willing to send their BEST players for a "rent a player", while the CUBS are willing to give NOTHING away and immediately "sign long-term".
Whats wrong with this Picture ?

sas1974
05-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Beltran's real appeal is his long-term potential. He's only worth trading for if it's contingent on signing a deal. Otherwise, you might as well wait if you're intent on getting him, and sign him as a FA.

As I've said, I would MUCH rather pay Beltran 16 million a year, than Maggs 14 million.

Agreed, but I have seen reports that Carlos is looking for a loooooooong term deal in the neighborhood of 8 years. I don't know who in their right mind would do that, but I definitely know who wouldn't.

sas1974
05-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
On the Score Cub Morning Show, Murph took some calls from Presumptuous Cub Fans. They too now think they can get BELTRAN, except cub fans are used to Getting GOOD players for Nothing. They were proposing sending Cub-Bust-of-the-Year Corey Patterson, Buster Farnsworth and some "B or C level minor leaguers" to KC. SOX are willing to send their BEST players for a "rent a player", while the CUBS are willing to give NOTHING away and immediately "sign long-term".
Whats wrong with this Picture ?

Those are probably the same folks that propose all of those crazy, lopsided trades on here w/o using teal or deep pink.

CHISOXFAN13
05-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
On the Score Cub Morning Show, Murph took some calls from Presumptuous Cub Fans. They too now think they can get BELTRAN, except cub fans are used to Getting GOOD players for Nothing. They were proposing sending Cub-Bust-of-the-Year Corey Patterson, Buster Farnsworth and some "B or C level minor leaguers" to KC. SOX are willing to send their BEST players for a "rent a player", while the CUBS are willing to give NOTHING away and immediately "sign long-term".
Whats wrong with this Picture ?

LOL. That one's not as good as Mariotti trying to get KC to take future Cy Young Award Winner Sergio Mitre and another play for Beltran.

I turned it off immediately.

SEALgep
05-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
On the Score Cub Morning Show, Murph took some calls from Presumptuous Cub Fans. They too now think they can get BELTRAN, except cub fans are used to Getting GOOD players for Nothing. They were proposing sending Cub-Bust-of-the-Year Corey Patterson, Buster Farnsworth and some "B or C level minor leaguers" to KC. SOX are willing to send their BEST players for a "rent a player", while the CUBS are willing to give NOTHING away and immediately "sign long-term".
Whats wrong with this Picture ? Nothing wrong with that picture. Sounds about right, lol.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Agreed, but I have seen reports that Carlos is looking for a loooooooong term deal in the neighborhood of 8 years. I don't know who in their right mind would do that, but I definitely know who wouldn't.

Well, JR has done long term deals before, but they usually have out-clauses or similar type options part way through. It's pitchers he has the real problem with, and for the most part, it's a good thing considering the ones we have let go have gone on to injury-plagued unproductive careers.

pearso66
05-19-2004, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't mind locking up Beltran for 8 years, just not at 14-16 per, maybe at the beginning but have it go down to like 10-12 near the end. IIRC he is only 27-28, so he's a couple years younger than maggs, and after 8 years, he'll be as old as maggs would be if we signed him to 5. Plus he can play the all important position of CF. And when he slows, and anderson comes up, we can put him in LF or RF if need be

sas1974
05-19-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't see Boras agreeing a lot of these little clauses that JR likes to use. I don't blame JR entirely either. For the most part, they are usually C.Y.A. clauses so he doesn't get killed on a deal if the player's skills decline or they get injured.

I would also be a bit slow to sign Beltran to 8 years. Perhaps 6 w/ options. I don't recall the exact details(and I am too lazy to look them up), but he has had a few visits to the DL if I recall correctly.

iwannago
05-19-2004, 12:19 PM
I'd give up that $5M waste of money Borchard in a New York minute.

habibharu
05-19-2004, 12:28 PM
borchard, rauch, and pacheco for beltran

Randar68
05-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
I'd give up that $5M waste of money Borchard in a New York minute.

You realize they owe him that money if they trade him or not, don't you? It was a signing bonus...

rahulsekhar
05-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
You realize they owe him that money if they trade him or not, don't you? It was a signing bonus...

Actually, they don't owe him anything more now, unless it was structured in "5 easy payments", the signing bonus has already been given to Joe.

hawkeyesrule
05-19-2004, 01:06 PM
I really don't think it's going to happen. Why is KC going to trade him to a divisional rival when he will get to put a direct hurting on them 19 times per year til that contract expires. I'd love to see him on our team, but I just don't think it will happen.

I would rather have Maggs, a homegrown talent. Keep in mind that Konerko's contract is up this year (I think). I also have grown absolutely tired of Frank Thomas. The guy isn't half the player that he was, and to have him eating up the payroll that he does is crazy. I appreciate his past accomplishments as much as anyone, but I think the Sox need a fresh start at the DH position.

rahulsekhar
05-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by hawkeyesrule
I really don't think it's going to happen. Why is KC going to trade him to a divisional rival when he will get to put a direct hurting on them 19 times per year til that contract expires. I'd love to see him on our team, but I just don't think it will happen.

I would rather have Maggs, a homegrown talent. Keep in mind that Konerko's contract is up this year (I think). I also have grown absolutely tired of Frank Thomas. The guy isn't half the player that he was, and to have him eating up the payroll that he does is crazy. I appreciate his past accomplishments as much as anyone, but I think the Sox need a fresh start at the DH position.

Easy: if they don't think the Sox will resign him, and if they can get more from the Sox than anyone else.

If KC thinks he's NY bound, it's actually in their best interest to trade him to the Sox: Get better prospects, and deplete a rival of those prospects, giving them a long-term advantage. The fact that they'd play him a lot this year is immaterial if they don't think they can win (and if they think they can win - they're not dealing him this year anyway).

As for Maggs, who cares where he's "grown", I'l take the better player for similar money. That's Beltran on almost all counts. Same or better avg, power, better speed & D. And while statheads might dispute the value of this, Carlos is a clutch player (case in point: late Hrs against the Sox and others).

Lip Man 1
05-19-2004, 01:25 PM
I would be surprised in the least to see Beltran with the Sox for the above reason of being a divisional rival. For the long term if such a thing were to happen (which would be very good) the odds of the Sox retaining him are very, very small.

Beltran will be a free agent because Boras insists on that and he and good ole Uncle Jerry do not get along. (Remember the Alex Rodriguez situation?)

If the Sox were to get him it would be for this season only. (Still that would be better then nothing.)

Lip

sas1974
05-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
If the Sox were to get him it would be for this season only. (Still that would be better then nothing.)

Lip

At what cost though?

Mickster
05-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by hawkeyesrule
Keep in mind that Konerko's contract is up this year (I think). I also have grown absolutely tired of Frank Thomas. The guy isn't half the player that he was, and to have him eating up the payroll that he does is crazy. I appreciate his past accomplishments as much as anyone, but I think the Sox need a fresh start at the DH position.

1. Konerko's contract is up next year, not at the end of this year.

2. Thomas' $6M salary is hardly the problem with this team considering Maggs is being paid $14M (albeit high because of how his contract was structured), Konerko is being paid over $8M, Koch $6.375M, Carlos $7M and Jose "stone hands" Valentin getting $5M.

iwannago
05-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
1. Konerko's contract is up next year, not at the end of this year.

2. Thomas' $6M salary is hardly the problem with this team considering Maggs is being paid $14M (albeit high because of how his contract was structured), Konerko is being paid over $8M, Koch $6.375M, Carlos $7M and Jose "stone hands" Valentin getting $5M.

I agree Thomas is a bargain at $6M.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Actually, they don't owe him anything more now, unless it was structured in "5 easy payments", the signing bonus has already been given to Joe.

The signing bonus was spread out over 5 years due to him being a 2-sport athlete.

longshot7
05-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
As I've said, I would MUCH rather pay Beltran 16 million a year, than Maggs 14 million.

Not me. Ordonez is better.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
Not me. Ordonez is better.

:?:

Care to explain?

He's older and plays a much less important defensive position at a lower level than Beltran. That's not even accounting for the offensive side of things.

pinwheels3530
05-19-2004, 04:12 PM
I would keep Maggs over Beltran, we need another pithcer another hitter.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
I would keep Maggs over Beltran, we need another pithcer another hitter.

I like Maggs, but this is lunacy.

If all things were equal ($$$, could make it one-for-one swap) you'd still want Maggs?

MRKARNO
05-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I like Maggs, but this is lunacy.

If all things were equal ($$$, could make it one-for-one swap) you'd still want Maggs?

Yeah because then we could still do the OOOO EEEEE OOO MAAAAGLIO chant. What the heck are we gonna do for Beltran?

pinwheels3530
05-19-2004, 04:25 PM
YESS!

OEO Magglio
05-19-2004, 04:28 PM
There is no way that the Sox get Beltran, I'm sorry it just ain't going to happen. I would obviously love to have him and yes he is a better player then maggs but Carlos Beltran won't be in a white sox uniform this summer or any other time.

rahulsekhar
05-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Yeah because then we could still do the OOOO EEEEE OOO MAAAAGLIO chant. What the heck are we gonna do for Beltran?

OOOO-EEEE-OOOO..........Caaaaaaaaaar-LOS!!!

Hey - can MLB mandate that if Maggs signs elsewhere, ala the Cleveland Browns, he can't take the OEO chant?

Mickster
05-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
YESS!

http://www.alanb.com/spicoli/bagel.gif

Dude? Kidding Right? :D:

hawkeyesrule
05-19-2004, 04:32 PM
OK, I wasn't sure about Konerko's deal. 1 more year, I am fine with that.

Valentin is up after this year. No way I pay him that much again. No one is going to take Koch off our hands (unless he keeps playing like he did last night). Carlos is going to want a big payday soon.

Here's my issue with Frank: he is not consistent anymore. Given the choice, do you take him at DH, with the other options available? His walks are great, but he isn't hitting with authority like he once did. I'm also tired of opposing pitchers throwing up a fat one on the first pitch because they know he won't swing. I don't want to run him out of town, but I wouldn't be particularly sad to see him go. I'd rather throw Maggs the extra year he wants.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
There is no way that the Sox get Beltran, I'm sorry it just ain't going to happen. I would obviously love to have him and yes he is a better player then maggs but Carlos Beltran won't be in a white sox uniform this summer or any other time.

That's not my point. Is it unlikely? Probably less than 1% chance he ever wears a Sox uni, and probably less if he hits FA with Scott BorASS as his agent.

But, as Jim Carey said in Dumb and Dumber... "Sooooo, You're saying there's still a chance!!???!??!??!??!!!"

OEO Magglio
05-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
That's not my point. Is it unlikely? Probably less than 1% chance he ever wears a Sox uni, and probably less if he hits FA with Scott BorASS as his agent.

But, as Jim Carey said in Dumb and Dumber... "Sooooo, You're saying there's still a chance!!???!??!??!??!!!"
Randar, I wasn't replying to anything you were saying, I'm just saying there is almost no chance Beltran will be on the sox this year, but I'd obviously love to see it happen.

Cubbiesuck13
05-19-2004, 04:44 PM
the royals would never trade beltran to a division rival. never. ever. never. and we all know that if they don't trade him, the yankees or the red sox will be the ones who sign him. i hate the truth as much as everyone else but it is inevitable.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
the royals would never trade beltran to a division rival. never. ever. never. and we all know that if they don't trade him, the yankees or the red sox will be the ones who sign him. i hate the truth as much as everyone else but it is inevitable.

For further hypotheticals, wouldn't Boston have to trade Damon?

What would NYY do with Bernie Williams, Matsui and Sheff while Giambi is basically already an everyday DH?

Does either team really have room for him on their roster at 15 million?

Mickster
05-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by hawkeyesrule
OK, I wasn't sure about Konerko's deal. 1 more year, I am fine with that.

Valentin is up after this year. No way I pay him that much again. No one is going to take Koch off our hands (unless he keeps playing like he did last night). Carlos is going to want a big payday soon.

Here's my issue with Frank: he is not consistent anymore. Given the choice, do you take him at DH, with the other options available? His walks are great, but he isn't hitting with authority like he once did. I'm also tired of opposing pitchers throwing up a fat one on the first pitch because they know he won't swing. I don't want to run him out of town, but I wouldn't be particularly sad to see him go. I'd rather throw Maggs the extra year he wants.

Frank's batting problems do not deal with Frank at all. As soon as Carlos or Konerko start hitting like we all know they can, Frank will be given better pitches to hit. For God's sake, he's on pace to walk something like 170x this year! Yes he's not hitting .300 as in years past but he's being selective on his pitches, has an excellent OBP and quite honestly, why would a pitcher risk giving him anything to hit when you have 2 automatic outs batting behind him?

Bottom line, he'll be fine when Carlos and Konerko heat up.

Mickster
05-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
the royals would never trade beltran to a division rival. never. ever. never. and we all know that if they don't trade him, the yankees or the red sox will be the ones who sign him. i hate the truth as much as everyone else but it is inevitable.

The Royals will trade Beltran to whomever gives them the best offer. Plain and simple. Knowing that Beltran would be highly unlikely to remain with the Sox next season, I would certainly "loot" the Sox organization for young stud prospects knowing full well that Beltran would be going to the highest bidder at the end of the season If I were KC.

Cubbiesuck13
05-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
For further hypotheticals, wouldn't Boston have to trade Damon?

What would NYY do with Bernie Williams, Matsui and Sheff while Giambi is basically already an everyday DH?

Does either team really have room for him on their roster at 15 million?


i don't think that manny will be back and damon or beltran could play a corner to have that lineup.

Williams is on the decline anyways. it is only a matter of time before he goes.

are you kidding? they ALWAYS have room in their budget for a high priced bat.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i don't think that manny will be back and damon or beltran could play a corner to have that lineup.

Williams is on the decline anyways. it is only a matter of time before he goes.

are you kidding? they ALWAYS have room in their budget for a high priced bat.

Well, those teams still would have to deal them, you know they won't flat-out eat their salaries and waive them, that's some mucho diniero there. Nobody wanted Manny last year, what makes this offseason different?

sas1974
05-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i don't think that manny will be back and damon or beltran could play a corner to have that lineup.

Just out of curiousity, where do you think Manny and his $20MM salary might be headed?

rahulsekhar
05-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i don't think that manny will be back and damon or beltran could play a corner to have that lineup.

Williams is on the decline anyways. it is only a matter of time before he goes.

are you kidding? they ALWAYS have room in their budget for a high priced bat.


Manny ain't going anywhere. His contract runs for a few year yet and the only team willing to take that on doesn't have a need and isn't one Boston's likely to deal with (NYY).

As for the Yanks, Lofton'll be gone and Williams likely a part-time player. Beltran goes to CF, Giambi to 1B and Bernie to DH. And I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie starting picking up 1B so that he & Giambi can swap as needed (or he plays CF when Beltran gets a rest).

That said, if the Sox can trade for him I wouldn't be too surprised if he woudl take SLIGHTLY less $$$ to stay. That slightly is like 1-2mil/yr though, so we'd have to be willing to pony up like 15 or 16mil/yr. Which I do in a heartbeat and let Maggs go 9replaced with Reed). Nothing against Maggs, but an all-star caliber CF with 5 true tools and proven clutch ability is hard to find. Beltran+Reed instantly turn this team into one much more "Twins-like" with better offensive balance, speed, and D.

Cubbiesuck13
05-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Manny ain't going anywhere. His contract runs for a few year yet and the only team willing to take that on doesn't have a need and isn't one Boston's likely to deal with (NYY).

As for the Yanks, Lofton'll be gone and Williams likely a part-time player. Beltran goes to CF, Giambi to 1B and Bernie to DH. And I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie starting picking up 1B so that he & Giambi can swap as needed (or he plays CF when Beltran gets a rest).

That said, if the Sox can trade for him I wouldn't be too surprised if he woudl take SLIGHTLY less $$$ to stay. That slightly is like 1-2mil/yr though, so we'd have to be willing to pony up like 15 or 16mil/yr. Which I do in a heartbeat and let Maggs go 9replaced with Reed). Nothing against Maggs, but an all-star caliber CF with 5 true tools and proven clutch ability is hard to find. Beltran+Reed instantly turn this team into one much more "Twins-like" with better offensive balance, speed, and D.


i thought manny was done after this year. but i agree that beltran and reed is a better team than what we have now. but it will not happen. why would the royals trade him to the sox? i don't think they would even for a killer deal.

rahulsekhar
05-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i thought manny was done after this year. but i agree that beltran and reed is a better team than what we have now. but it will not happen. why would the royals trade him to the sox? i don't think they would even for a killer deal.

It's been said before, but 1)they can get better prospects from us than most anyone else, and 2)they don't think he'll resign here so they won't care that it's in the division.

TaylorStSox
05-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
On the Score Cub Morning Show, Murph took some calls from Presumptuous Cub Fans. They too now think they can get BELTRAN, except cub fans are used to Getting GOOD players for Nothing. They were proposing sending Cub-Bust-of-the-Year Corey Patterson, Buster Farnsworth and some "B or C level minor leaguers" to KC. SOX are willing to send their BEST players for a "rent a player", while the CUBS are willing to give NOTHING away and immediately "sign long-term".
Whats wrong with this Picture ?

What in the hell does a Beltran trade to the Sox have to do with the Cubs? Get over it. You appear to be borderline obsessed.

longshot7
05-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
:?:

Care to explain?

He's older and plays a much less important defensive position at a lower level than Beltran. That's not even accounting for the offensive side of things.

their numbers are comparable, but Maggs' OPS & OBP is better. As well, he came up with the organization - I'd feel better about keeping him than bringing in some hired gun. Changing teams has been bad for recent superstars (Giambi, Griffey, ARod) - why do it if the #'s if you don't have to. and besides, with Carlos at the other corner spot, we can afford to have a defensive CF.

rahulsekhar
05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
their numbers are comparable, but Maggs' OPS & OBP is better. As well, he came up with the organization - I'd feel better about keeping him than bringing in some hired gun. Changing teams has been bad for recent superstars (Giambi, Griffey, ARod) - why do it if the #'s if you don't have to. and besides, with Carlos at the other corner spot, we can afford to have a defensive CF.

Which OF looks better: Lee-Beltran-Reed or Lee-Reed-Maggs? I like the former both defensively and offensively. And as for superstars changing teams, A-Rod did pretty well in Texas (and his #s in NY are coming around and look like they'll be around his usual studly ones by EOY), as has Rolen in St. Louis, and Giambi's #s are pretty decent in NY although injuries have started to play a toll. No reason to think Beltran's going to get hurt whereas Giambi & Griffey had known issues before they were traded.

Cubbiesuck13
05-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
It's been said before, but 1)they can get better prospects from us than most anyone else, and 2)they don't think he'll resign here so they won't care that it's in the division.


then how come other teams are not beating the door down for our great prospects? i don't think we have a major advantage over other teams when it comes to prospects. just my opinion

thepaulbowski
05-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Yeah because then we could still do the OOOO EEEEE OOO MAAAAGLIO chant. What the heck are we gonna do for Beltran?

Then it could be become the OOO EEE OOO OLIIIIIVO. :D:

Brian26
05-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I would also be a bit slow to sign Beltran to 8 years.

I wouldn't sign anyone for 8 years.

pinwheels3530
05-20-2004, 02:46 AM
Reed hasn't even seem major league pitching yet, so everybody don't be quick to get rid of Maggs.