PDA

View Full Version : [deep deep deep pink]How about Barry Bonds[/deep deep deep pink]

Dadawg_77
05-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Watching the cub game, my roomate is a cub fan and Sox won their game, I realized the Giants have nothing. They are not going to contend with that team and need to rebuild. This biggest assest is Bonds, and think of him on a team which can protect him. It would take prospects but what would you be willing to give up to get Bonds if you could.

Wildest dreams projection
1. Harris
2. Thomas
3. Bonds
4. Mags
5. Uribe
6. Jose
7. Crede
8. Olivio
9. Gload

DaveIsHere
05-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Keep him and his roids away from the south side

Tekijawa
05-19-2004, 09:38 AM
I don't think that this should even be a thread here... next we'll have about 50 threads of why not Randy Johnson, why not Alex Rodregez, Why not...

I think we are aiming WAY TO HIGH people... look for a Steve Finley, livan hernandez type player (maybe even worse than them) if and when we do make a move...

I'm loking at a move to be made before June, prefferrably tonight if possible as the next 2 months of baseball (may 20-july 20) is a pretty daunting schedule! all west coast teams and division leaders (and the Expos and Cleveland)... this could get really ugly really fast!

WWIII
05-19-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't care how good Bonds is. I do not like him and I would not want him on the White Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2004, 09:45 AM
I don't think your pink is deep enough. :D:

With Bonds behind Frank, Frank's numbers would be positively Herculean. Opposing pitchers probably would intentionally walk both Frank and Bonds, leaving Maggs to bat with runners at first and second, and often with the bases jammed. Maggs could have 175 RBI with your lineup while also hitting into 85 double plays. Uribe could have 150 RBI.

Would the Giants take a package of Lee, Konerko, Diaz and Wright?

Win1ForMe
05-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by WWIII
I don't care how good Bonds is. I do not like him and I would not want him on the White Sox.

I don't think we'll ever get him but I wouldn't be opposed to it. If he's chasing history at the Cell, the park would be filled. If the park is filled, JR raises payroll .

samram
05-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I don't think your pink is deep enough. :D:

With Bonds behind Frank, Frank's numbers would be positively Herculean. Opposing pitchers probably would intentionally walk both Frank and Bonds, leaving Maggs to bat with runners at first and second, and often with the bases jammed. Maggs could have 175 RBI with your lineup while also hitting into 85 double plays. Uribe could have 150 RBI.

Would the Giants take a package of Lee, Konerko, Diaz and Wright?

Okay, but they have to throw in Jason Schmidt too. :)

Dadawg_77
05-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by samram
Okay, but they have to throw in Jason Schmidt too. :)

Nah, Schmidt will be on the DL before the season is over.

Dadawg_77
05-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I don't think that this should even be a thread here... next we'll have about 50 threads of why not Randy Johnson, why not Alex Rodregez, Why not...

I think we are aiming WAY TO HIGH people... look for a Steve Finley, livan hernandez type player (maybe even worse than them) if and when we do make a move...

I'm loking at a move to be made before June, prefferrably tonight if possible as the next 2 months of baseball (may 20-july 20) is a pretty daunting schedule! all west coast teams and division leaders (and the Expos and Cleveland)... this could get really ugly really fast!

Kenny said if we can dream, he'll think about it or something long those lines.

Bonds in the Cell would increase attendance, I know I would go to more games, and help this team whose offense is struggling out.

Randar68
05-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Kenny said if we can dream, he'll think about it or something long those lines.

Bonds in the Cell would increase attendance, I know I would go to more games, and help this team whose offense is struggling out.

Yep, and Bonds has all but said he'd like to play as DH for a couple of years if that's what it took for him to stay healthy.

Maggs would basically be gone after the season, but hey. Like someone else said, there is no pink deep enough for this one...

Foulke You
05-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yep, and Bonds has all but said he'd like to play as DH for a couple of years if that's what it took for him to stay healthy.

Maggs would basically be gone after the season, but hey. Like someone else said, there is no pink deep enough for this one...

While I agree that this is deep pink , it may not be as far fetched as people think. Kenny Williams proved last year that he likes to make a splash and pick up some big names. I don't think anyone thought we were going to pick up Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar. Granted, the names don't get any bigger than Barry Bonds but I wouldn't rule it out as an absolute EXTREME possibility that Bonds gets traded to an AL team with the Sox possibly being a suitor. His name alone and chase of Hank Aaron's record would put an extra 4000 people in the stands per game. I can only imagine the numbers he could put up with Maggs or Thomas batting behind him.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
While I agree that this is deep pink , it may not be as far fetched as people think. Kenny Williams proved last year that he likes to make a splash and pick up some big names. I don't think anyone thought we were going to pick up Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar. Granted, the names don't get any bigger than Barry Bonds but I wouldn't rule it out as an absolute EXTREME possibility that Bonds gets traded to an AL team with the Sox possibly being a suitor. His name alone and chase of Hank Aaron's record would put an extra 4000 people in the stands per game. I can only imagine the numbers he could put up with Maggs or Thomas batting behind him.

This would also put the Sox on the national radar screen and work to close the gap with the Cubs in the Chicago and national media.

Again, this is very deep pink, but what would it take to get Bonds on the Sox in a trade?

rahulsekhar
05-19-2004, 12:36 PM
This would also put the Sox on the national radar screen and work to close the gap with the Cubs in the Chicago and national media.

Again, this is very deep pink, but what would it take to get Bonds on the Sox in a trade?

A starting point of Borchard, Reed, Honel probably gets us into discussions. They may very well want someone like a C.Lee as well.

Of course for the purposes of this discussion, I'll go with Rowand, Valentin, Konerko, & Koch!

Baby Fisk
05-19-2004, 12:46 PM
I gotta admit, I've been enjoying this deep pink fantasy all morning, but we all know what could very well happen:

:KW
"Ladies and gentlemen of the media, I'm pleased to announce we have just completed a trade..."

:ohno
"O my god! This is it!"

"...in exchange for Konerko, Wunsch, Reed, Gload, Borchard, Valentin and Sweeney..."

"This is it! This is the big one!"

"...we have aquired a grinder in the truest sense of the word, an absolute star right fielder who needs no introduction..."

"Yahoo! World Series here we come!"

"...Ben Grieve!"

"Oh...God...no....."

ode to veeck
05-19-2004, 01:24 PM

Nuclear Holocost, the end of the world by a giant asteroid, or California falls into the Ocean.

Baby Fisk's post is the first decent one in a trade thread in many moons. LMAO!

jabrch
05-19-2004, 02:24 PM
With Bonds behind Frank, Frank's numbers would be positively Herculean. [/COLOR]

Frank is hitting .188 with RISP and .133 with RISP+2 out.

Who is really going to be afraid of him? I know he walks a lot, but this season he hasn't gotten hits when the chips are down. I know there are a lot of people who consider this blasphemy, but Frank isn't doing it when it counts this year. (neither is Carlos) I don't think Frank's numbers would be nearly what you think - he isn't the Frank Thomas he used to be.

Dadawg_77
05-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Frank is hitting .188 with RISP and .133 with RISP+2 out.

Who is really going to be afraid of him? I know he walks a lot, but this season he hasn't gotten hits when the chips are down. I know there are a lot of people who consider this blasphemy, but Frank isn't doing it when it counts this year. (neither is Carlos) I don't think Frank's numbers would be nearly what you think - he isn't the Frank Thomas he used to be.

Spilits like RISP avg mean nothing when trying to project what will happen. If Frank is ahead of Bond, my lineup, he should see better pitches since who wants to face Bonds.

Railsplitter
05-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by WWIII

Nor would I gut the minor league system to get him.

Kuzman
05-20-2004, 02:38 PM
he wouldnt leave SF, he wants his history there.