PDA

View Full Version : What about Jason Schmidt?

Win1ForMe
05-19-2004, 01:46 AM
I guess the headline should be in deeppink...

But if you believe Gammons (and I know many don't), the Giants are in for a suposedly long-term rebuilding process. Would it be possible they would make him available? Schmidt has 2 years left after this one on his deal at $8.75M and $10.0M (or a $3M buyout) per year. Would love to get him.

Foulke You
05-19-2004, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I posted something similar to this in another thread. I would also love to have Schmidt. He is a stud. I'd imagine the Giants would want quite a bit in return for him, not to mention his salary is not Reinsdorfian in structure (i.e. cheap). I guess we can dream...

depy48
05-19-2004, 01:49 AM
who would the sox offer?

SoxxoS
05-19-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by depy48
who would the sox offer?

We would definitely have to part with one of the big three OF prospects:

Anderson, Sweeney, or Reed.

We would probably have to pitch in Rauch, Meaux and another prospect. Something like that. Maybe even a major leaguer (Lee or Ordonez?) depending on their $$$ situation.

This guy is an underrated consistant Cy Young contender...it's going to take a lot to get him.

ChiSox14305635
05-19-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I wouldn't want to risk prospects on him. Even though he threw an excellent game tonight, and has Cy Young stuff, the guy is a pitch away from a major arm injury. He missed the start of the year with injuries and tonight threw 144 pitches. Alou must've had a "Baker" moment tonight. If he didn't have previous arm problems, I'd be all for it. Just wouldn't want that to turn into a situation if the Sox were to get "damaged goods".

Voice of Reason
05-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Well if we're talking to the Giants, how about a deal for that Bonds guy?

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
Well if we're talking to the Giants, how about a deal for that Bonds guy?

another man has the steroids market in illinois cornered. there can be only one

Voice of Reason
05-19-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
another man has the steroids market in illinois cornered. there can be only one

This is exactly where this thread needed to go. We really need a "rolls eyes" smiley.

mdep524
05-19-2004, 03:22 AM
I bet San Fran would want the moon for Schmidt, if they're willing to trade him at all. He's a great pitcher, and his contract is not bad, but you just know he's due for more DL time soon. So I would feel like a sucker giving away great prospects only for a small "Schmidt Watch" column in the Cubune after he blows out his arm.

Win1ForMe
05-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by mdep524
I bet San Fran would want the moon for Schmidt, if they're willing to trade him at all. He's a great pitcher, and his contract is not bad, but you just know he's due for more DL time soon. So I would feel like a sucker giving away great prospects only for a small "Schmidt Watch" column in the Cubune after he blows out his arm.

I guess you guys who worry about the health situation are pretty dead on. Before the season started, I didn't think he would be as effective as last year based on the elbow surgery he had in the off-season. Schmidt's velocity, however, seems about the same and that slider is still pretty nasty. But yeah, I can see how his health situation would scare people off. As far as the steep price in prospects, I would have absolutely no problem giving them up if I knew I was getting an ace (especially one with a good contract like Schmidt's).

SSN721
05-19-2004, 10:25 AM
I am all for getting Schmidt. I think he is an ace and has a pretty reasonable contract. I would be tentative on giving up too much though because of possible injury but wouldnt mind parting with a coulpe prospects and maybe CLee to get him.

Tekijawa
05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Why don't we just trade reed and another pitching prospect for Prior?

I have a feeling that any trade we make will be for a minor "star" at best... and it will involve one of our over hyped prospects (borchard, rauch) and two other guys that none of us have heard of...

iwannago
05-19-2004, 12:31 PM
We haven't had good luck with NL pitchers.

Foulke You
05-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
We haven't had good luck with NL pitchers. :jaime :ritchie
"We don't know what you are talking about!"

Lip Man 1
05-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Chisox says: "the guy is a pitch away from a major arm injury."

So is any major league pitcher at anytime.

For that matter so are minor league pitchers, just ask two more Sox 'top' prospects Ryan Wing (season ending shoulder surgery according to the papers today) and Kris Honel (who hasn't been able to explain his drop in velocity)

Lip

Win1ForMe
05-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Chisox says: "the guy is a pitch away from a major arm injury."

So is any major league pitcher at anytime.

For that matter so are minor league pitchers, just ask two more Sox 'top' prospects Ryan Wing (season ending shoulder surgery according to the papers today) and Kris Honel (who hasn't been able to explain his drop in velocity)

Lip

I agree with that Lip, but at least with prospects, you're not on the hook for $20 M for the next two seasons.

maurice
05-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Ordonez and prospects for Schmidt and Bonds.

1. Schmidt
2. Buehrle
3. Loaiza
4. Schoeneweis
5. Garland

1. Harris
2. Uribe
3. Bonds
4. Thomas
5. Lee
6. Valentin / Konerko
7. Crede