PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding Starting Pitching (One through Four)

WSox8404
05-19-2004, 12:49 AM
Take a good look at what is going on here. Three of our starters have an ERA under 4.00. And I am willing to bet that Esteban will get his below 4.00 also pretty soon. This is the type of a pitching staff that gets their team to the playoffs, especially in the AL. Now if we could only get Garcia. Just think. Possibly all five starters with an ERA under 4.00 and possibly two with ERA's under 3.00 (Garcia and Scotty) I would like our chances if this were to happen. And I know its early and all, but hey, what the hell. It's nice to think about.

batmanZoSo
05-19-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Take a good look at what is going on here. Three of our starters have an ERA under 4.00. And I am willing to bet that Esteban will get his below 4.00 also pretty soon. This is the type of a pitching staff that gets their team to the playoffs, especially in the AL. Now if we could only get Garcia. Just think. Possibly all five starters with an ERA under 4.00 and possibly two with ERA's under 3.00 (Garcia and Scotty) I would like our chances if this were to happen. And I know its early and all, but hey, what the hell. It's nice to think about.

You give us a 5th starter that can win some games and our pitching is plenty good to overcome offensive slumps. And we won't slump forever either.

kittle42
05-19-2004, 01:08 AM
The pitching may not be this good forever, either.

SoxxoS
05-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Looking at the glass half full:

Show will probably come back to earth, but worst case scenario he is still a good third starter.

OTOH, Loiaza will probably improve, especially when he gets his velocity back. And he will. Call me Cleo.

I don't know what Buerhle is doing to strike so many guys out, but it's working. If he keeps it up (which he will) this could be a career year. Plus, IIRC, he pitches a tad better in the second half.

Garland is finally turning the corner. He has strung a whole year together, pretty much. Minus that one start 2 weeks ago (I forgot who it was against). His ERA is below 3.5, and it's almost June...not many expected that. He is also pitching with "burly-mon" like quickness, which can only help Jon, who tends to overthink things. I think the start today was his BEST since Boston in 2002.

The fifth starter? Who knows? At least Cotts has shown he can get MLB hitters out. But now we got to stretch him out and hope he can mentally handle it.

Did Jon Rauch have realations with KW's wife? AFAIC, there isn't a good reason why he shouldn't of done a spot start on Sunday. No good reason I can think of.

Voice of Reason
05-19-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Did Jon Rauch have realations with KW's wife? AFAIC, there isn't a good reason why he shouldn't of done a spot start on Sunday. No good reason I can think of.

I think it might be the seven home runs allowed in 44 innings. I know there is a "flyball pitcher throwing in a bandbox" arguement but if Rauch is a major league pitcher he needs to do better than allowing a home run every 6 1/3 IP to AAA hitters. Rauch does pitch half of his games outside of Charlotte and the IL is fairly pitcher friendly, at least compared to the PCL. Also if I recall correctly Sox park is a good park for home run hitters. Between adjusting to the majors and staying in a hitters park I very much doubt Rauch's tendency to allow home runs would dissapear. He deserves a callup only when he can keep the ball in the park.

LASOXFAN
05-19-2004, 02:37 AM
You're absolutely right to look at the glass as half full. It's always exciting any time a team is pitching well. That's the most important part of defense, pitching.

It also makes the offensive slump all the more disgusting. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the absolutely terrible approaches at the plate. Konerko has a whopping 5 hits in May. That's it, 44 at bats, 5 hits. He's hitting .114. Close your eyes and stick your bat out there 44 times and you'll hit .114.

SoxxoS
05-19-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
I think it might be the seven home runs allowed in 44 innings. I know there is a "flyball pitcher throwing in a bandbox" arguement but if Rauch is a major league pitcher he needs to do better than allowing a home run every 6 1/3 IP to AAA hitters. Rauch does pitch half of his games outside of Charlotte and the IL is fairly pitcher friendly, at least compared to the PCL. Also if I recall correctly Sox park is a good park for home run hitters. Between adjusting to the majors and staying in a hitters park I very much doubt Rauch's tendency to allow home runs would dissapear. He deserves a callup only when he can keep the ball in the park.

I would love to know his home/away splits, first and foremost. Your argument would hold more water if he gave up the majority of HR away from Charlotte.

You also have to look at his overall numbers. 35 hits in 44 IP. 35 K's, 14 walks (which is even a little uncharacteristic), 3.25 ERA. If you take away just 1 three run homer that would have been a flyout at USCell, then his ERA is under 3.00. He deserves a shot, that is all I am saying.

Voice of Reason
05-19-2004, 02:55 AM
I would love to know his home/away splits, first and foremost. Your argument would hold more water if he gave up the majority of HR away from Charlotte.

You also have to look at his overall numbers. 35 hits in 44 IP. 35 K's, 14 walks (which is even a little uncharacteristic), 3.25 ERA. If you take away just 1 three run homer that would have been a flyout at USCell, then his ERA is under 3.00. He deserves a shot, that is all I am saying.

Perhaps Rauch does deserve a shot but if you look past the fact that he was a stud prospect four years and one career threatening surgery ago he doesn't deserve a shot ahead of Diaz. Diaz who was absolutely lights out in AAA, far and away the Knights best starter. And Rauch probably doesn't deserve a shot ahead of Cotts either. Considering Cotts has been getting major leaguers out in the Sox bullpen. I will say if Cotts is unsuccessful Rauch deserves the next shot at the job. Rauch is certainly more deserving of a callup than Grilli or Kohlmeier or any of the other dregs on the Charlotte staff. But hopefully Cotts can carry over his success into the starting rotation and we won't have to worry about it.

SoxxoS
05-19-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
Perhaps Rauch does deserve a shot but if you look past the fact that he was a stud prospect four years and one career threatening surgery ago he doesn't deserve a shot ahead of Diaz. Diaz who was absolutely lights out in AAA, far and away the Knights best starter. And Rauch probably doesn't deserve a shot ahead of Cotts either. Considering Cotts has been getting major leaguers out in the Sox bullpen. I will say if Cotts is unsuccessful Rauch deserves the next shot at the job. Rauch is certainly more deserving of a callup than Grilli or Kohlmeier or any of the other dregs on the Charlotte staff. But hopefully Cotts can carry over his success into the starting rotation and we won't have to worry about it.

I agree. Let's just hope Cotts can make it as a starter. I would just love for Rauch to get a spot start, to see what he can do...then we can leave Cotts where he is thriving...the pen.

It's not a major issue. I hope Cotts shuts the Twins down for four innings. But is anyone going to be really confident when we hand the ball over to Adkins to take care of the 5th, 6th, and/or 7th? That is a big game to put in the hands of two essential rookies...but I guess we don't have many other options.

Voice of Reason
05-19-2004, 03:25 AM
It's not a major issue. I hope Cotts shuts the Twins down for four innings. But is anyone going to be really confident when we hand the ball over to Adkins to take care of the 5th, 6th, and/or 7th? That is a big game to put in the hands of two essential rookies...but I guess we don't have many other options.

I might shut my eyes (actually, close the MLB Gameday window) when Adkins takes the ball.