PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Postgame thread 5-18-04

Daver
05-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Wow.

AOEllis
05-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Which is more shocking, a Randy Johnson perfect game, or a Perfect 9th by Koch?

OEO Magglio
Way to go garland. Way to go Billy 7 of 8 now in save chances. The offense still looks awful but atleast they strung together some hits today in the same inning.

OurBitchinMinny
Koch strikes out the side in the 9th. Who woulda thunk it? I didnt think it was possible. His confidence is growing.

batmanZoSo
05-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Garland was outstanding. I really liked his approach overall. Particularly striking out Hafner on 3-2 with runners on 2nd and 3rd with a biting curve ball no where near the plate and in the dirt. See, he realized he had first base open and was not going to give in..like the old Garland who's terrified to have a BB on his line would.

Hitting was a letdown.

Cubbiesuck13
05-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Koch strikes out the side in the 9th. Who woulda thunk it? I didnt think it was possible. His confidence is growing.

you mean the Oz was right?

if he pitches like that for the rest of the year, i will get a tatoo that says billy kotch is my dad on my hind parts. let me know if you guys need a picture

OurBitchinMinny
05-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Positives overshadow the negatives in a win, but the bats need to get going. only 1 hit after the 4th. The other negative is marte. That guy has been brutal, especially his last few outings. He is one of the guys in the pen that I have the least confidence in right now. Hopefully he comes around.

OEO Magglio
05-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Positives overshadow the negatives in a win, but the bats need to get going. only 1 hit after the 4th. The other negative is marte. That guy has been brutal, especially his last few outings. He is one of the guys in the pen that I have the least confidence in right now. Hopefully he comes around.
Damaso is struggling right now...no doubt. He'll get it going though, within the next week I say we see the damaso of old.

MRKARNO
05-18-2004, 10:16 PM
I told you guys that being 3 games back this early is not something to worry about. We're in absolutely fine condition and the way our starters have been going and the way that Koch has been closing the door lately we're gonna win a lot of games in spite of the hitting

OurBitchinMinny
05-18-2004, 10:18 PM
I agree. A 3-4 game defecit in may and even june is nothing. Marte has to get going and Id like to see KW make a move or two to get another starter and ship out one of the righties (konerko preferrably) for a left handed bat.

Cubbiesuck13
05-18-2004, 10:19 PM
i am glad to win a low scoring one. the day will come that the offense starts to hit but the pitching will give up more. hopefully it will only be a few games.

cheeses_h_rice
05-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Pros:

1. Good pitching by JG except for one inning.
2. GREAT 9th by Koch. Very impressive.

Cons:

1. Our offense is still limp.
2. Our baserunning/stealing decisions haven't been very well executed lately. Even Jose's run for home should have resulted in an out had the Indians made decent throws.

2 games back of the Twinkies, though. I'll take it.

:gulp:

misty60481
05-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Think it may be time to switch Maggs and Frank around?? I noticed Maggs never got anything at all to hit in 1st 2 at bats until Frank brings his average back up.. Also Crede looked bad in his at bats

Brian26
05-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Garland has matured immensely in the past 2 years. Great outing by him.

chisox06
05-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Garland and Koch were the best Ive seen them all year. Marte still strugglin, but he'll get it goin. Still no offense, but it will come around, but werent we saying that at this time last year???

OEO Magglio
05-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Garland and Koch were the best Ive seen them all year. Marte still strugglin, but he'll get it goin. Still no offense, but it will come around, but werent we saying that at this time last year???
Yes and the same thing will happen again, they'll get hot for a while and then go cold again. That's all subject to change of course if kenny can go out and break this lineup up a bit.

owensmouth
05-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Just a question... Why did Ozzie lift Garland after 7? He was at 90 pitches, had just pitched a beautiful 10 pitch inning... why lift him. I would've like to see JG go all 9.

But what the heck, no complainys.

Sox win
Twins lose.

Giants 1, toilet sCum nuthin

MRKARNO
05-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Just a question... Why did Ozzie lift Garland after 7? He was at 90 pitches, had just pitched a beautiful 10 pitch inning... why lift him. I would've like to see JG go all 9.

Because Garland has been sucking it up in the later parts of his games.

Cubbiesuck13
05-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Garland has matured immensely in the past 2 years. Great outing by him.

i would say the bulk of that was this year. the Oz let him pitch later into games, even when he gave up runs. we are now seeing him pitch, not throw. you have to know that other teams have noticed and it would not suprise me for his name to be brought up in trade roumors.

ode to veeck
05-18-2004, 11:09 PM
... and rumor mill is where that discussion will stay and go no further; the Sox need one more starter, not one less.

Cubbiesuck13
05-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
... and rumor mill is where that discussion will stay and go no further; the Sox need one more starter, not one less.

i hope so. i would hate to loose him now after all he has been through.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth

Ozzie has recently said that he and Kenny have had disagreements over the number of pitches the starters are allowed to throw. In other words, Kenny doesn't want the staff overworked. Ozzie's goal was to give his pitchers confidence by leaving them in early in the season, and would ease off later on. So I'm assuming that's the plan right now.

ode to veeck
05-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Ozzie's goal was to give his pitchers confidence by leaving them in early in the season, and would ease off later on. So I'm assuming that's the plan right now.

The game Ozzie left Garland in (was it the YankMes?) when he was in trouble early in the season seemed to be a turning point for Jon.

batmanZoSo
05-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Ozzie has recently said that he and Kenny have had disagreements over the number of pitches the starters are allowed to throw. In other words, Kenny doesn't want the staff overworked. Ozzie's goal was to give his pitchers confidence by leaving them in early in the season, and would ease off later on. So I'm assuming that's the plan right now.

I've noticed that. He sure wasn't interested in letting Buehrle pursue a CG/SO in his last two.

valposoxfan
05-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe

I wish Kenny would get out off Ozzie's business. I've heard a lot of things about KW being a distraction on and off the field with the team, I wish he would leave them alone. It's Ozzie's club at this point, not this.

HITMEN OF 77
05-19-2004, 02:46 AM
Great pitching tonight and my man, Paul Konerko, oh yea. Glad he had a great game too. Tonight I sleep in peace.

SSN721
05-19-2004, 07:22 AM
Very disturbing they couldnt get more than a hit after the 4 run inning, but at least the pitching was enough to make it stand up. I was kind of happy to see that the runs were all scored on solid hits too and not home runs. I thought that was nice to see, Garland was fantastic I really hope he has turned the corner this year. Just nice to see them break the Tribes win streak so now maybe we can start one of our own, a 6 game streak would certainly look good to me. :D:

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2004, 07:40 AM
yeah i'm happy with our starting rotation, hopefully cotts can step up to da plate mon. i feel that these guys will be more than enough to keep us in games. leaving the question of run support. if we trade it should be for a clutch left hander. duh. i really don't wanna call up some of our bright spots from the minors. rushing those kids into things can prove to be bad. if they don't do great the 1st time up, they get sent back down and that has to be an emotional roller coaster, further hindering their play.