PDA

View Full Version : Garland a slow starter?

jeremyb1
05-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Looking back at the past couple seasons I noticed that Garland posted ERAs in the 6's in April in '02 and '03. Personally I wasn't all that impressed with his April this season, it was solid but not great. I tend not to give much weight to questionable trends along these lines but I wonder though if he's just a notoriously slow starter in which case his mediocre April this season bodes well for the remainder of the season.

HomerCoach
05-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Amen Brother! Let this be Garland's slow start.

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 08:19 PM
He is pitching "Burly-Mon fast" today. I love it. The less Jon thinks...the WAY better off he is.

BeerHandle
05-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He is pitching "Burly-Mon fast" today. I love it. The less Jon thinks...the WAY better off he is.

Garland will be great this year. He dominated in the second half of the season last year. He is only 24 and will be a great Sox player for years!

MRKARNO
05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Well Garland just has awesome movement on his pitches lately and he almost looks like an ace. I have a lot of confidence that he is going to have an excellent year for an AL Pitcher this year. So far we have one of the best starting pitching staffs in the AL this year 1-4

batmanZoSo
05-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The less Jon thinks...the WAY better off he is.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/jon.jpg
"Whatever bro. I see how you are."

With this horrible picture of him I gotta do another...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/jon.jpg
"Aaaah....I just ripped a$$ hardcore."

hose
05-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Looking back at the past couple seasons I noticed that Garland posted ERAs in the 6's in April in '02 and '03. Personally I wasn't all that impressed with his April this season, it was solid but not great. I tend not to give much weight to questionable trends along these lines but I wonder though if he's just a notoriously slow starter in which case his mediocre April this season bodes well for the remainder of the season.

Jeremy did you see Bob Foltman's piece on Big John in today's cubune?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040517soxbrite,1,5377727.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Interesting : up to 75 pitches Garland has given up 0 homers and opponents are hitting .245

after 75 pitches John has given up 6 homers and opponents are hitting at a .327 clip.

Garland is really starting to put it all together.

ode to veeck
05-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Getting to the 7th inning is way better than getting into trouble in the 4th and 5th, where Jon sometimes started to have problems. Early in the season, Ozzie leaving him in to work through some jams helped his confidence & mental toughness. Maybe Soxxos is right, a faster pace & a little less thinking is better on Jon's part. He's physically had all he really needs for the last few years now