PDA

View Full Version : Another 5th Starter Solution

34 Inch Stick
05-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Let Cotts take a chance at it and bring up Wunsch to fill the Cotts spot in the bullpen.

rahulsekhar
05-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Let Cotts take a chance at it and bring up Wunsch to fill the Cotts spot in the bullpen.

Was I out sick the day Kelly Wunsch was handing out cash or something? What is the deal with the Wunsch talk? The guy's having trouble getting out AAA hitters for chrissake!!

If we're going to sign guys based on what they used to be able to do, why not BlackJack McDowell or Bobby Thigpen? Those guys used to pitch well! So what if they've lost some speed and probably can't get minor leaguers out - they've proven they can get out big leaguers in the past! What are we waiting for!

34 Inch Stick
05-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Wunsch's success is not ancient history. He was one of the better Sox relievers over the last 3 years. I believe he led the league in appearances one of those years. In addition he is a lefty in a league where that is a commodity.

Irishsox1
05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Diaz and Wright have been so crappy, maybe Cotts is the solution. As for Wunsch, he can't be as bad as Diaz and Wright, so why not?

BigEdWalsh
05-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Diaz and Wright have been so crappy, maybe Cotts is the solution. As for Wunsch, he can't be as bad as Diaz and Wright, so why not?

Exactly!
Besides, we know Wunsch was pretty good in the past. It's kinda like Valentin hitting .050 or whatever the heck it was that he hit in Charlotte. Wunsch has had some troubles in Charlotte but he hasn't been Danny Wright-Bad. I think if Wunsch came up, he could come in and do his job getting the lefties out. As for Cotts, he's earned a shot at 5th starter.

rahulsekhar
05-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh
Exactly!
Besides, we know Wunsch was pretty good in the past. It's kinda like Valentin hitting .050 or whatever the heck it was that he hit in Charlotte. Wunsch has had some troubles in Charlotte but he hasn't been Danny Wright-Bad. I think if Wunsch came up, he could come in and do his job getting the lefties out. As for Cotts, he's earned a shot at 5th starter.

The combination of reduced pitch speed and lack of outs makes me highly doubtful of his effectiveness against major league hitters.

ma_deuce
05-18-2004, 04:26 PM
If Cotts moved up (which I believe he deserves), that do we do about left handing pitching from the pen?

Deuce

markp8867
05-18-2004, 04:45 PM
The way the Sox are playing with their 5th starter, they might be better off forfeiting the game and giving their players an extra day of rest.

Seriously though, how come every time another team faces one of our new pitchers they hit the crap out of him but when the Sox face a new pitcher they play as if they are facing Sandy Koufax in his prime?

BigEdWalsh
05-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by markp8867
The way the Sox are playing with their 5th starter, they might be better off forfeiting the game and giving their players an extra day of rest.

Seriously though, how come every time another team faces one of our new pitchers they hit the crap out of him but when the Sox face a new pitcher they play as if they are facing Sandy Koufax in his prime?

Who WAS the last guy (starting pitcher) to come up and pitch well right off the bat? To really make an immediate impact? I might have forgotten one, but I think you have to go way back to Jack McDowell.

Tekijawa
05-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Was it Alverez that threw a no-hitter in his first start in the majors or was it Fernandez?

markp8867
05-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Who WAS the last guy (starting pitcher) to come up and pitch well right off the bat? To really make an immediate impact? I might have forgotten one, but I think you have to go way back to Jack McDowell.

I think Mark Buehrle might have been one of those pitchers but before him I can only think of Wilson Alvarez who threw a no hitter in his second start I believe.

Tekijawa
05-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by markp8867
I think Mark Buehrle might have been one of those pitchers but before him I can only think of Wilson Alvarez who threw a no hitter in his second start I believe.

Buehrle was awful in his first few starts, but with him you could tell he had the stuff... Cotts reminds me of Buehrle a lot!

BigEdWalsh
05-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Also, Buehrle wasn't a starter right off the bat. I was at a game when he made his debut...it was in a mop up role and you could tell he had something. I remember telling my son, "This guy throws STRIKES!".

iwannago
05-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

Lets make him the new GM.

34 Inch Stick
05-19-2004, 09:03 AM
I will be opening up my 1-800 line later this week giving predictions about the future. $5 for the first minute.

A. Cavatica
05-19-2004, 08:06 PM

IIRC, Jack came up for three starts or so and did great -- then stunk the entire next season.

Railsplitter
05-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Was it Alverez that threw a no-hitter in his first start in the majors or was it Fernandez?

I think it was Alverez' first start with the Sox.