PDA

View Full Version : J Cowley: KW wants Freddy Garcia

Mickster
05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Here is the LINK (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/181sd1.htm).

Meanwhile, Sox general manager Ken Williams is reportedly intent on acquiring Seattle pitcher Freddy Garcia.

The Sox had interest in Garcia stemming back to the 2002 season. With Sox shortstop Jose Valentin in the final year of his contract and with the emergence of infielder Juan Uribe, a package that includes Valentin is one possible scenario for the Mariners' right-handed hurler.

BRING IT, KENNY!!!!!

DaveIsHere
05-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Do not get hopes up, a real pitcher and then getting rid of the gloved wonder, we can dream

poorme
05-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Why would Seattle want Valentin?

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Pull the trigger, Kenny. And then go dump Konerko and go get us Steve Finley.

rahulsekhar
05-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by poorme

They desperately need offense, and despite his struggles, he's virtually a lock for 25+HR.

Baby Fisk
05-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Question: didn't we just finish beating the tar out of Cowley and his reputation here on WSI?

Mickster
05-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Question: didn't we just finish beating the tar out of Cowley and his reputation here on WSI?

What does Cowley being an ass have to do with the validity of this article?

Baby Fisk
05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
What does Cowley being an ass have to do with the validity of this article?
I don't know him personally, but the way he's been ripped on this site, I'm wondering why folks wouldn't prefer to hear this from another source before getting too excited.

poorme
05-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
They desperately need offense, and despite his struggles, he's virtually a lock for 25+HR.

If Seattle trades Garcia, their best pitcher, that means they have given up any playoff hopes for this year. Valentin is a free agent after the year (and he's not that good anyway).

IlliniSox
05-18-2004, 11:45 AM
If Seattle trades Garcia, their best pitcher, that means they have given up any playoff hopes for this year. Valentin is a free agent after the year (and he's not that good anyway).

My thoughts exactly. And if they wanted Valentin next year, I'm sure they could get him at half his current salary.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Trading Valentin's bat only to make this lineup more right-handed would be a terrible move. The 5th starter spot is terrible, but we're also losing games started by our other good pitchers (losing 3 games last week despite the starters giving up a combined 6 runs in those 3 games). We're just not giving them enough run support. I like Garcia and would love to acquire him, but I'm not giving up Valentin.

Rocky Soprano
05-18-2004, 11:46 AM
If this trade goes through I will personally pack Valentin's bags and drive him to the airport. Hell I would drive him all the way to Seattle.

mantis1212
05-18-2004, 12:29 PM

I think a three-way would be most likely, with the third party giving Seattle prospects and taking Valentin from us...

Hondo
05-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Well I'd much rather have Garcia then Kris Benson.
How about they throw in Every Day Eddie for good measure?

duke of dorwood
05-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Our pitching hasn't been that bad

Hondo
05-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

no but with a rotation of
Etey
Buerhle
Garcia
Schoey
and
Garland as the fifth starter

It's becomes a very good rotation.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Yeah, we have the 3rd best (!!) team ERA in the AL yet we're only 9th in runs scored. And we want to make getting a starter a higher priority than improving the offense?

:?:

hold2dibber
05-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Yeah, we have the 3rd best (!!) team ERA in the AL yet we're only 9th in runs scored. And we want to make getting a starter a higher priority than improving the offense?

Yes.

It's true that the pitching has been good and the offense not good so far. But you've got to admit that the pitchers have been over their heads and the hitters are under-achieving. And the fifth starter slot is a black hole at this point - at this point, the Sox are practically conceding 1/5 of their games, and you just can't do that. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see the Sox miraculously pull off a trade for some offense and to change the composition of the line-up, but if I had to choose, I'd pick more pitching over more hitting in a heart beat.

Hondo
05-18-2004, 12:44 PM

I'm not concerend with our offense. That'll come around. If we can have a top level staff, bullpen and a solid middle infield with two guys who fit Ozzie's small ball ethos then I'd rather have that then a team of sluggers.

SSN721
05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
We need another starter because that 5th spot will kill us and every solution in house is more of a stopgap then a permenant solution to the problem. If we picked up Garcia and the rest of the staff keeps pitching to form or improve as I think they will we will have one of the best starting staffs in baseball. Personally I think getting rid of Valentin alone might help the offense, but I would like to pick up a CF if we can as well.

The_Floridian
05-18-2004, 12:46 PM

The argument could be made that our pitching staff is performing at their peak potential, while our hitters are not. Therefore, if we improve our pitching staff so it can stay in this area (3rd in ERA) even when not performing at peak potential and our hitters come out of their collective slump (which they will), we could be very dangerous.

That said, I would rather rent a solid hitting CF for this season before Jeremy Reed joins us next year.

But having Freddy Garcia sure would be nice...

pinwheels3530
05-18-2004, 12:55 PM
PITCHING WINS MAN!!

Mickster
05-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Does Torn Labrum want to chime in here?

maurice
05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Valentin and change for Garcia would be outstanding.

I have no idea, but I also did not understand why they wanted Vizquel instead of Guillen this past offseason.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But you've got to admit that the pitchers have been over their heads and the hitters are under-achieving.

I don't really think the pitchers, as a whole, have been over their heads. You can make a case for Schoenweiss I suppose, but Buehrle and Loaiza can both pitch better than what they have shown. I think Buehrle's hitting his stride just now. Garland's been at about the level I thought he would be; wouldn't exactly call that over-achieving.

bobj4400
05-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
If this trade goes through I will personally pack Valentin's bags and drive him to the airport. Hell I would drive him all the way to Seattle.

If you need someone to pitch in for gas money and keep you company on the ride back, I will join you!!

Iwritecode
05-18-2004, 01:48 PM
No offense to you Mickster (directed more to J Cowley).

Is this really news?

With Seattle slumping as badly as they are and with Garcia's numbers, what GM isn't looking at getting him?

We've been talking about him for a couple of weeks on this board already.

Rocky Soprano
05-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
If you need someone to pitch in for gas money and keep you company on the ride back, I will join you!!

Sounds like a perfect plan to me. :gulp:

Got room for 2 more, anyone else want to go on this road trip? Maybe just 1 more person since we will offer to drive Freddy back to Chicago with us. :D:

chuckn98229
05-18-2004, 02:51 PM

Look me up and I'll buy you a beer when you get out here!

thepaulbowski
05-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Sounds like a perfect plan to me. :gulp:

Got room for 2 more, anyone else want to go on this road trip? Maybe just 1 more person since we will offer to drive Freddy back to Chicago with us. :D:

IF Freddy comes here, keep him away from the :gulp: .

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Reason we WONT get Freddy Garcia is because EVERYONE ELSE wants him too. We had a chance to get someone like him in the OffSeason........but we sat on our hands and waited for the PRICE TO GO HIGHER, just like Uncle Jerry to do something STUPID like this. Then again, weve done this every year since 1990

thepaulbowski
05-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Reason we WONT get Freddy Garcia is because EVERYONE ELSE wants him too. We had a chance to get someone like him in the OffSeason........but we sat on our hands and waited for the PRICE TO GO HIGHER, just like Uncle Jerry to do something STUPID like this. Then again, weve done this every year since 1990

So, how do you know they wanted to trade him during the off-season? If "everybody else" wants him, why didn't they get him in the off season. :?:

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
So, how do you know they wanted to trade him during the off-season? If "everybody else" wants him, why didn't they get him in the off season. :?:

"....we had a chance to get someone like him......"
I said someone like him........not specifically HIM.

batmanZoSo
05-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

We're just not gonna sign FA pitchers in the offseason. We get them in the middle of the year via trade and ones that are in the final year of their contract (or in cases like Bartolo during the offseason, still via trade and still in contract year).

The key for us is winning the division, because I give JR enough credit that with a title, he'll put more money in the team and that means re-signing a Freddy Garcia to stick around a few more years. He spent extra money in 2001, even did last year after a .500 finish the year before. If we win the division the fan base will be there next year in season tickets. That probably includes yourself doesn't it? Winning will cure all ills. He's not gonna spend money and hope for success, he's gonna spend money based on success. I don't agree with that or like it, but that's the way it is. So here's to a division title in 04. :gulp:

joecrede
05-18-2004, 04:25 PM
From the Tacoma Trib:

"Right-hander Gil Meche is on the trade market, a bargain for a rebuilding team that wants a potential front-end starting pitcher and is willing to move talent to get it."

"If Meche is dealt, the Mariners would hope to get a player capable of helping immediately - he could be an infielder or outfielder - and then dip into Tacoma for a No. 5 starting pitcher. That could mean big-league experience for pitchers like Bobby Madritsch, Clint Nageotte and others."

How's Lee-for-Meche sound with the Sox picking up some of Lee's Contract?

Link (http://www.tribnet.com/sports/baseball/mariners/story/5084758p-5012444c.html)

rahulsekhar
05-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
From the Tacoma Trib:

"Right-hander Gil Meche is on the trade market, a bargain for a rebuilding team that wants a potential front-end starting pitcher and is willing to move talent to get it."

"If Meche is dealt, the Mariners would hope to get a player capable of helping immediately - he could be an infielder or outfielder - and then dip into Tacoma for a No. 5 starting pitcher. That could mean big-league experience for pitchers like Bobby Madritsch, Clint Nageotte and others."

Link (http://www.tribnet.com/sports/baseball/mariners/story/5084758p-5012444c.html)

I'd rather do Valentin for him, if they'll take it.

bobj4400
05-18-2004, 04:27 PM

What about Manos for Meche...if Aurilia is still hurting?

Randar68
05-18-2004, 04:28 PM
From the Tacoma Trib:

Nice...

Meche + Olerud + Guardado for Valentin + Konerko + Koch????

joecrede
05-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Nice...

Meche + Olerud + Guardado for Valentin + Konerko + Koch????

Why would you want Olerud?

Mickster
05-18-2004, 04:31 PM

a. Doesn't swing for the fences with every pitch.
b. Serviceable 1B replacement.
c. (Most Important) Gone at the end of the year!

OEO Magglio
05-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Cause he's left handed, plays a great first base, and doesn't try swinging for the fences every single time he's up.

rahulsekhar
05-18-2004, 04:32 PM

My guess: to get rid of Konerko.

OEO Magglio
05-18-2004, 04:33 PM
And that helps too.

Randar68
05-18-2004, 04:50 PM

WE HAVE A WINNER.... although all of the above apply as well as post-season experience...

In addition, 5 of the last 8 years, he's had OBP's above .400. In addition, although he's only hitting .246 so far this year, he's got a .364 OBP. In addition, there is nobody in that line-up that would scare a flea. He'd do much better in a line-up with better pop and in a smaller stadium. He's also only 35, FAR from over-the-hill.

While he isn't fast, he's faster than Pauly...(tallest midget contest)

MRKARNO
05-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Meche might be able to help us in the future, but I dont think he can help a ton this year. For a team in a perpetual Win-Now mode like the White Sox, it would be better to Acquire a Freddy Garcia who is having a career year than a Gil Meche who is not.

joecrede
05-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Meche might be able to help us in the future, but I dont think he can help a ton this year. For a team in a perpetual Win-Now mode like the White Sox, it would be better to Acquire a Freddy Garcia who is having a career year than a Gil Meche who is not.

Well, if you deal Valentin to get Garcia ... isn't the offense hurt?

MRKARNO
05-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Well, if you deal Valentin to get Garcia ... isn't the offense hurt?

Not When the left side of the infield is Crede, Uribe and Harris and you stick Reed or another newly acquired player in Center. We're fine as long as Rowand is stuck out there in Center except maybe to platoon against lefties

joecrede
05-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Not When the left side of the infield is Crede, Uribe and Harris and you stick Reed or another newly acquired player in Center. We're fine as long as Rowand is stuck out there in Center except maybe to platoon against lefties

Given the choice, I'd take Reed, Valentin, and Meche over Harris, Lee, and Garcia

iwannago
05-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
My thoughts exactly. And if they wanted Valentin next year, I'm sure they could get him at half his current salary.

I doubt if KW gets Garcia WO giving up alot more than Valentine, if he gets Garcia at all.

OEO Magglio
05-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Valentine
Who?

iwannago
05-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Who?

What?

JC456
05-18-2004, 10:57 PM

Give them Uribe, his stock went up over the last 5 weeks. Let's go make this happen. You can never have enough pitching.

OEO Magglio
05-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by JC456
Give them Uribe, his stock went up over the last 5 weeks. Let's go make this happen. You can never have enough pitching. That's a great idea, trade away one the hitters on the sox actually producing.

OEO Magglio
05-18-2004, 11:02 PM
What?
I'm just joking around, it's Valentin not Valentine.

batmanZoSo
05-18-2004, 11:30 PM
What?

Your what hurts?

mdep524
05-19-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Your what hurts?

I loooove it when you analyze, DJ.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2004, 02:54 AM

that'd be a fun road trip.

:manos
"hey do i got crumbs in the 'stache man?"