PDA

View Full Version : Thomas at FIRST BASE!

BeerHandle
05-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Everyone on this board knows that Thomas is a much better hitter when he plays first. Also, his fielding percentage is better then Kornerko; however, PK can make more plays.

With the way PK is hitting, it is time to sit him on the bench for some games and put Thomas at first. Thomas is leading the league in walks because he isn't seeing good pitches. I would put Jose at the 5th spot and lee at the 2nd spot. The big question is we need a DH. I figure it could be Rowand, Uribe, Jose or Willie (heck maybe Timo) when they are not in the field. A DH doesn't have to be a power hitter, but rather a hitter that gets on base!

This team needs a shake up!

mcfish
05-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Everyone on this board knows that Thomas is a much better hitter when he plays first. Also, his fielding percentage is better then Kornerko; however, PK can make more plays.

With the way PK is hitting, it is time to sit him on the bench for some games and put Thomas at first. Thomas is leading the league in walks because he isn't seeing good pitches. I would put Jose at the 5th spot and lee at the 2nd spot. The big question is we need a DH. I figure it could be Rowand, Uribe, Jose or Willie (heck maybe Timo) when they are not in the field. A DH doesn't have to be a power hitter, but rather a hitter that gets on base!

This team needs a shake up!

For goodness sake, lets not have it be Rowand. He gets out enough playing centerfield; he has absolutely no use as a DH.

pinwheels3530
05-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Put Frank( I don't need no darn cork ) Thomas at first and let Ross Gload DH in the no. 5 spot.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 11:44 AM
With the Sox current lineup, this is what I would do if I was the manager:

I'd play Frank at 1B in road games versus right-handed starters. This would make for a 3-way platoon at first between Gload, Konerko and Frank, with each player getting about 1/3 of the starts at 1B. Konerko would always play first against lefties and Valentin would get some ABs at DH against righties. Also, Gload and Valentin are interchangable in these roles, meaning that one of these four players is expendable in a trade (preferably Konerko).

At home vs. righties:
DH Frank
1B Gload

At home vs. lefties
DH Frank
1B Konerko

Away vs. righties:
DH Valentin
1B Frank

Away vs. lefties:
DH Frank
1B Konerko

owensmouth
05-18-2004, 12:48 PM
I know that throughout his career Frank has hit better while he was in the field. But, is that because he was the primary first baseman when he was younger and a better hitter?

In other words, is this just another WSI pipe dream?

Last year his hitting picked up when he was in the field, but then a few games later, it deteriorated.

It might be more effective to bat him 3d again instead of 4th. Of course, then Magglio is back to his GIDPs, but at least he'd get a chance to hit with someone on base.

PK is a much better defensive first baseman than Frank. While it's hard to imagine anyone being less mobile than Konerko, the reality is that Frank is a liability in the field. His arm is dead. He does a worse job covering foul balls than anyone else that we've tried in the past 12 years.

What was Frank's batting average last year while playing first base versus his batting average while he was a DH?

Ask that same question for each individual year and I think the difference disappears, especially since his torn muscle.

jabrch
05-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I know that throughout his career Frank has hit better while he was in the field. But, is that because he was the primary first baseman when he was younger and a better hitter?

In other words, is this just another WSI pipe dream?

We are led by some to believe that Frank would be undoubtedly more productive if he were moved to 1B. I am still not sure of this despite the historical evidence that says it. I just don't think you can tie down a cause/effect relationship between the two. It is, of course, highly possible that some other variable made him a better hitter when he was playing 1b that had nothing to do with playing 1B.

That said, since PK sucks so badly, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

bigdommer
05-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
We are led by some to believe that Frank would be undoubtedly more productive if he were moved to 1B. I am still not sure of this despite the historical evidence that says it. I just don't think you can tie down a cause/effect relationship between the two. It is, of course, highly possible that some other variable made him a better hitter when he was playing 1b that had nothing to do with playing 1B.

Couldn't agree with you more. Frank was younger back then, and he may be lost out at first base.

But, like you said, Konerko is so lost at the plate I will try anything.

BeerHandle
05-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer
Couldn't agree with you more. Frank was younger back then, and he may be lost out at first base.

But, like you said, Konerko is so lost at the plate I will try anything.

I like the Platoon suggestion in a response post. PK needs to be traded or things need to be mixed up. I really wanted him gone in the off-season. I would have loved if we traded PK for a pitcher and then picked up R. Palmiero to play 1st with Frank.

StepsInSC
05-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Its not JUST Frank Thomas. Mike Sweeney just said the same thing, that he hits better when you're playing first b/c DHing is like pinch hitting 4 times in a game.

BeerHandle
05-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Its not JUST Frank Thomas. Mike Sweeney just said the same thing, that he hits better when you're playing first b/c DHing is like pinch hitting 4 times in a game.

I agree with Sweeney's comment. Thomas does hit better when he plays the field. I also agree that Thomas is not as mobile as he was in 1994.

WE NEED A WIN!

RKMeibalane
05-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Frank hit .352 in his thirty starts at first base last season. He hit almost one hundred points lower as the DH. And for the record, his hitting did magically get much better once he started playing first base. He was struggling mightily, and then his bat came to life once he saw playing time in the field. And guess what else? The Sox offense finally got going, too.

There are more benefits to playing Frank at 1B than there are drawbacks. Jerry Manuel's stupidity got him fired. I hope Ozzie Guillen has more common sense.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank hit .352 in his thirty starts at first base last season. He hit almost one hundred points lower as the DH. And for the record, his hitting did magically get much better once he started playing first base. He was struggling mightily, and then his bat came to life once he saw playing time in the field. And guess what else? The Sox offense finally got going, too.

But that is such a small sample size. :cool:

iwannago
05-18-2004, 10:44 PM
I say put Frank at 1B at least three times a week.

jkrohn
05-19-2004, 08:03 AM
From 2001-2003 here are the lines for Frank in the two positions:

AB AVG OBP SLG OPS
As First Baseman 113 .319 .455 .655 1.110

As DH 1017 .253 .365 .501 .866

With about 2/3 of a season under his belt at 1b over the past few years, his hitting is clearly better there. IMO this is definately a large enough sample size to justify trying him in the field with Konerko hitting so poorly lately.