PDA

View Full Version : Sox 5th Starters are 1-5. Brutal

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Dan Wright was 0-4 and Felix "mechanics-are-messed-up-when-I-fall-off-mound" Diaz 0-1 (nd). Guess the SOX knew what they were doing when they let Colon go and NOT GET ANOTHER #1 starter. smart baseball.

Etownsox13
05-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know when Robert Person is due to come back off the DL?

samram
05-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Etownsox13
Does anyone know when Robert Person is due to come back off the DL?

I think he is out for the season.

Didn't this #5 starter thing kill the Sox in 1996 as well when they finished 85-77, but the #5 starters were something like 4-15? Apparently, they don't learn from past mistakes.

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by samram
I think he is out for the season.

Didn't this #5 starter thing kill the Sox in 1996 as well when they finished 85-77, but the #5 starters were something like 4-15? Apparently, they don't learn from past mistakes.

Yup, I believe your exactly right ........... Sox never did learn
from that mistake.

jackbrohamer
05-18-2004, 11:57 AM
The Sox enver seem to care much about filling the 5th starter role before the season starts. I remember in 2000 they kept trotting out minor leaguers like Rocky Biddle out for the role.

Whatever happened to Stewart, IIRC he got hit in the chest with a liner & had some circulatory problems.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Stat Of The Day:

From Joe Cowley in the Daily Southtown:

"Dating back to last season, the Sox's No. 5 starters are a combined 3-16."

and yes the lack of a 5th starter (along with a porous bullpen) cost the Sox dearly after a fabulous start (40-21 in early June) in 1996 as they blew a sizable lead in the wild card race down the stretch.

5th starters that year were:

Luis Andujar, 0-2
Jason Bere, 0-1
Mike Bertotti, 2-0
M. Freeman, 0-0
Joe Magrane, 1-5
Scott Ruffcorn, 0-1
Mike Sirotka 1-2

Kirk McCaskill also started 5 games that season. For the year he went 5-5 so I'm pretty sure he won a few games as a starter. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he had three wins. That means the 5th starters record that season was: 7-11 at best.

Folks I don't know what more can be said. The Sox haven't been able to develop successful minor league pitchers in quantity and they say they don't have the money to be able to spend it on pitching which is at a premium these days, via free agency (along with ownership's refusal to do so.)

I don't know what the answer is...you tell me.

Lip

jabrch
05-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Dan Wright was 0-4 and Felix "mechanics-are-messed-up-when-I-fall-off-mound" Diaz 0-1 (nd). Guess the SOX knew what they were doing when they let Colon go and NOT GET ANOTHER #1 starter. smart baseball.

Let him go? i don't think that's exactly how it happened Hangar. He got paid way too much by Anaheim. I am glad we didn't do that. Now I wish we had gotten another starter, but do you think it was from either

A) Lack of effort

or

B) Lack of available talent that fit into our budget

I am sure KW will get a SP by the trade deadline. Just relax and enjoy.

jabrch
05-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Folks I don't know what more can be said. The Sox haven't been able to develop successful minor league pitchers in quantity and they say they don't have the money to be able to spend it on pitching which is at a premium these days, via free agency (along with ownership's refusal to do so.)

I don't know what the answer is...you tell me.

Lip

Hope to hang around and be in first, or close to it by the break, and then trade to get one who won't cost a ton in terms of prospects?

Paging Freddy Garcia - Paging Freddy Garcia

JRIG
05-18-2004, 12:26 PM
All of Kansas City's starters have combined to win 3 games this year.

Now that's brutal.

Brian26
05-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Luis Andujar, 0-2
Jason Bere, 0-1
Mike Bertotti, 2-0
M. Freeman, 0-0
Joe Magrane, 1-5
Scott Ruffcorn, 0-1
Mike Sirotka 1-2

You're bringing back some painful memories, Lip.

1996 is the most forgotten season in White Sox history. They really had an excellent chance to make the playoffs, and nobody cared then (and most people have forgotten how good they really were).

I remember going to a ton of games that year and sitting in the upper deck. It seemed like nobody believe the team had a chance. I don't think we could have beaten the Yankees or Orioles in the playoffs that year, but it would have been fun trying.

wolcott10
05-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Is Ken Hill available?

mantis1212
05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Let him go? i don't think that's exactly how it happened Hangar. He got paid way too much by Anaheim. I am glad we didn't do that. Now I wish we had gotten another starter, but do you think it was from either

A) Lack of effort

or

I am sure KW will get a SP by the trade deadline. Just relax and enjoy.

I think a $5MM (?) Freddy Garcia is a much better idea than a $11MM Colon

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
................ but do you think it was from either

A) Lack of effort

or

It was A) and B). but dont forget
C) Lack of making trade with Marlins resulting in them
throwing in a Matt Clement for free

Lip Man 1
05-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Jabrch:

I'm not just talking about this season. This has been an on going problem and picking up a pitcher at the trade deadline then letting him go at the end of the year (sound familiar) doesn't solve the issue does it longterm?

You can't keep expecting to make trades at the deadline every year.

Also the definition of a trade means you have to give up something to get something. Doesn't that weaken your team someplace?

There is another way but ownership refuses to do it.

and I love the first word in your post...'hope.' That says it all right there.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Brian:

People forget how good that team was offensively. Man they had three guys with 100 or more RBI's (Thomas, Ventura, Tartabull) and nearly had a 4th! (Baines-98)

I don't think the Sox have ever had four 100 RBI men.

If only they got some pitching other then Tony Castillo. That was the year when after the trade deadline when the Sox didn't address their needs both Tony Phillips and Roberto Hernandez ripped ownership to The Sporting News.

I've always contended that if the Sox don't blow the playoff spot in 1996 there is no White Flag Trade in 1997.

Oh well.

Lip