PDA

View Full Version : crede to Angel's?

bestkosher
05-18-2004, 08:47 AM
with Troy Glaus going down with shoulder surgery, I hope that KW is calling the Angels and leaving his number everywhere. Crede would fit in there nicely, even if we get a few mid minors for him.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 09:04 AM
It is too soon to give up on Crede IMHO.

bestkosher
05-18-2004, 09:06 AM
With there being a glutton of infilders on our rosters losing the weight of crede, would help us, keep harris in at second whre he is better and urbie or val..at thrid

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by bestkosher
With there being a glutton of infilders on our rosters losing the weight of crede, would help us, keep harris in at second whre he is better and urbie or val..at thrid

What happens when Harris and/or Uribe cool off? Crede is still too young, too inexpensive and plays a tough defensive position at a very high level to trade off at this point.

Hondo
05-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Valentin can't play anywhere in the infield.

Like was said earlier. It's too early to give up on Crede. He has a good glove. Doesn't hit for average yet but has good power.

Don't trade him unless we really get blown away on a deal.

wdelaney72
05-18-2004, 09:17 AM
This would be insane. There's no onle else to step in and play third.

hold2dibber
05-18-2004, 09:22 AM

That's crazy short-term thinking there. Crede is the only actual 3B in the bunch. Also, as well as Harris and Uribe have been hitting lately, neither of them has yet proven that they can get it done over the course of an entire season. Plus, this is the last year of Valentin's contract, so it's likely Uribe will be playing SS next year. That leaves a gaping hole at 3B and no one anywhere in the organization even close to being able to fill it. And, despite his struggles, Crede is on pace to hit over 30 HRs and is playing above average defense at 3B. And you'd deal him for a few non-prospects? Absurd.

Finally - as a matter of courtesy, can people not name threads with a declarative statement that suggests that something happened when in fact it hasn't (e.g. "Crede to Angels" suggests a done deal; just adding a "?" at the end of an "Idea:" at the front would have solved the problem.)

SSN721
05-18-2004, 09:42 AM
This is one of the most ridiculous threads I have seen here in a long time. I agree with the above this thread sucks.

Tekijawa
05-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Crede is the only good defensive infielder we have!!! His bat will come around...

Malgar 12
05-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That's crazy short-term thinking there. Crede is the only actual 3B in the bunch. Also, as well as Harris and Uribe have been hitting lately, neither of them has yet proven that they can get it done over the course of an entire season. Plus, this is the last year of Valentin's contract, so it's likely Uribe will be playing SS next year. That leaves a gaping hole at 3B and no one anywhere in the organization even close to being able to fill it. And, despite his struggles, Crede is on pace to hit over 30 HRs and is playing above average defense at 3B. And you'd deal him for a few non-prospects? Absurd.

Finally - as a matter of courtesy, can people not name threads with a declarative statement that suggests that something happened when in fact it hasn't (e.g. "Crede to Angels" suggests a done deal; just adding a "?" at the end of an "Idea:" at the front would have solved the problem.)

couldn't of said it better myself.

bigdommer
05-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Maybe we could ship them Konerko and Paulie could re-learn how to play 3rd base. He used to be a serviceable third sacker in the minors, and yes, I know that he is old and slow now, but they might like another bat.

hold2dibber
05-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by bigdommer
Maybe we could ship them Konerko and Paulie could re-learn how to play 3rd base. He used to be a serviceable third sacker in the minors, and yes, I know that he is old and slow now, but they might like another bat.

There's a reason that the Angels have the best team (record-wise) in the AL; and it ain't because their management is a bunch of suckers. :D: Seriously, they should be able to find someone who actually plays third base and who is better a better hitter than Paulie and costs a lot less (Spiezio? Wes Helms (okay, that's pushing it)? Zeile?).

jabrch
05-18-2004, 10:45 AM
They aren't lacking in guys who can play 3B anyhow. Isn't Figgins a serviceable 3B?

Anyhow, I wouldn't give up on Crede for midlevel prospects. No way.

whitesoxwilkes
05-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Fixed.

SEALgep
05-18-2004, 11:13 AM
The Angels already have a stud third baseman in the minors who is supposedly ready to come up next year. Maybe sooner if they need him.

pearso66
05-18-2004, 11:18 AM
What is the fixation of trading Crede. His bat may not be there yet, but he is a STUD in the field. And as it's been said before, Valentin is likely gone next year, and then what do we do with 3rd? I think this is the worst trade idea I've heard. I'd say with his D, he's more untouchable than Maggs.

Randar68
05-18-2004, 11:23 AM
with Troy Glaus going down with shoulder surgery, I hope that KW is calling the Angels and leaving his number everywhere. Crede would fit in there nicely, even if we get a few mid minors for him.

HUH!?!?!?

Jose is gone after this season, and can barely play anymore as is. This would be one of the most short-sighted trades in Sox history.

In addition, if they want a stop-gap, trade them Jose, NOT Harris, Uribe, or Crede... aka. both the immediate and long-term future of this club.

batmanZoSo
05-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Crede's 500K or so is really dragging us down. So are his 7 homers and 20 rbis which have all seemed to come at times when we were trailing a game...why does he DO THAT?!. Yeah, Crede's definitely the problem on this team. Defense is this team's strength and Crede's pretty much the only one who's blew par at his position. If you ask me, 5th and 6th hitters Lee and Konerko are fine assets to this team with their combined 15 million dollar salary and wonderful ability to hit in the clutch. They've also combined to hit about the same number of homers Crede has hit thus far...that means they're not selfish like Crede. We need to ship him out and quick. We have 3rd basemans Jeremy Reed and Brian Anderson waiting in the wings down on the farm anyway.

rdivaldi
05-18-2004, 11:38 AM
I'll echo the posters who have said that this would be a very bad idea.

We really don't have any high level third base prospects in the minors, Micah Schnurstein is still in low A ball and is scuffling right now. There'd be no one to replace him long term.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
HUH!?!?!?

Jose is gone after this season, and can barely play anymore as is. This would be one of the most short-sighted trades in Sox history.

In addition, if they want a stop-gap, trade them Jose, NOT Harris, Uribe, or Crede... aka. both the immediate and long-term future of this club.

Trading Jose at this point, our only left-handed bat, would be death to our lineup. For this year's team, Jose is much more valuable than Crede. I really think people are overestimating Crede's value. He's looked terrible so far (very much a repeat of last season's early struggles) and refuses to do anything but swing for the fences.

To me, he's a corpse. What really got me infuriated was the game we played in Toronto. He hit a ball down the right field line but he couldn't get his head out of his ass to run down to second base. With players like Jose, and even Carlos to a certain extent, you just get a sense they have better awareness of the game. And please spare me the one or two posts pointing out the few Carlos base running mistakes.

SEALgep
05-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
And please spare me the one or two posts pointing out the few Carlos base running mistakes. At least he's aggressive.

Voice of Reason
05-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Trading Crede isn't a well thought out idea, but not because Crede has peformed well. Crede hasn't performed well, he has hit for good power but is making outs 3/4 of the time he goes to the plate. Crede needs to start getting on base to be valuable but I'd bench him before I'd trade him. Without Crede our infield is one injury away from Kelly Dransfeldt everyday and that my friends is a scary thought.

JoseCanseco6969
05-18-2004, 11:50 AM

I have no idea why everyone is so quick to give up on Crede. For a few minors????? Where would we be then? I remember how many of us were screaming to bring up Crede a couple years back and now everyone is ready to dump him before hes had a long enough chance. If anyone needs to go its Rowand. ButCrede is a guy that has already proved he is clutch when we need him, and he also has those spells when he can hit anything thrown at him. Also his defense is better than anything we've had at 3rd since Robin left. I just think its absolutely ridiculous to offer a few mid minors for Crede. Thank God you arent our GM.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
At least he's aggressive.

That's exactly right. Even a small thing like the bunt single he had against the Twins shows more awareness than anything Crede has ever done.

ChiSoxBobette
05-18-2004, 12:04 PM

You're Nuts !

Wanne
05-18-2004, 12:52 PM
There's no way the Angels would do it even if it was plausable for the Sox to. They'll probably end up getting Hillenbrand from the DBacks...or I read that A. Boone was a possibility. But why give up Crede?!?

TheBull19
05-18-2004, 12:58 PM
When you get that idea in your head, think about Greg Norton, Chris Snopek, Carlos Martinez, Tim Hulett, Vance Law, Kevin Bell. That illustrious group of thirdbasemen the Sox have spent their time developing the last 25 years or so when they weren't wasting their time on guys like Ventura and Crede.

kittle42
05-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Who are the "Angel's"?

JRIG
05-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
What is the fixation of trading Crede. His bat may not be there yet, but he is a STUD in the field. And as it's been said before, Valentin is likely gone next year, and then what do we do with 3rd? I think this is the worst trade idea I've heard. I'd say with his D, he's more untouchable than Maggs.

Let's look at this rationally. Crede's defense is very good.

But this is the same guy who hit .225/.277/.348 before the All-Star Break last year and .244/.333/.439 in July. He had a tremendous August to salvage his season. This year he's at .214/.255/.421. He's basically had two good months at the plate in his entire career -- September '02 and August '03.

Yes it's tougher to find a decent 3B than it is to find a 1B or left fielder. But untouchable is a very strong word for a guy who couldn't hit water falling out of a boat for a large part of his time with the big club.

soxtalker
05-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
I have no idea why everyone is so quick to give up on Crede. For a few minors????? Where would we be then? I remember how many of us were screaming to bring up Crede a couple years back and now everyone is ready to dump him before hes had a long enough chance. If anyone needs to go its Rowand. ButCrede is a guy that has already proved he is clutch when we need him, and he also has those spells when he can hit anything thrown at him. Also his defense is better than anything we've had at 3rd since Robin left. I just think its absolutely ridiculous to offer a few mid minors for Crede. Thank God you arent our GM.

One thing that has become apparent in this message string is that NOT EVERYONE is ready to dump Crede. He has considerable support among the members of this board, even though he has been struggling somewhat at the plate.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by TheBull19
When you get that idea in your head, think about Greg Norton, Chris Snopek, Carlos Martinez, Tim Hulett, Vance Law, Kevin Bell. That illustrious group of thirdbasemen the Sox have spent their time developing the last 25 years or so when they weren't wasting their time on guys like Ventura and Crede.

Ok, this is just ridiculous. So far, Crede's a lot closer to those other guys than he is to Robin Ventura.

TheBull19
05-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Ok, this is just ridiculous. So far, Crede's a lot closer to those other guys than he is to Robin Ventura.

You obviously never watched Martinez, Hulett or Bell play 3b.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by TheBull19
You obviously never watched Martinez, Hulett or Bell play 3b.

You obviously never watched Robin Ventura play 3b.

bafiarocks03
05-18-2004, 04:26 PM
There is no way we are going to give up Crede! We need hiM!!