PDA

View Full Version : You are KW right now...

pudge
05-18-2004, 01:58 AM
KW claims he's going to act fast this year. That could mean he might do something drastic like dump Konerko or Lee... if you are KW and you want to change this team right now, what do you do?

Me, I'd shop Konerko and Jose, as much as it pains me to know those guys will eventually heat up. I'd try to get a contact-hitting lefty - not that those are easy to come by - and a 5th starter.

SpartanSoxFan
05-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Shop Jose, Konerko, and Kelly Wuensch. Get a high average, high OBP hitter to solidify the middle to bottom of the lineup and a starting pitcher. I'm still holding out hope that El Caballo will turn things around soon.

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 02:23 AM
I don't care what you can get for him, but Konerko needs to go, first and foremost.

SSN721
05-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Dump Konerko and his salary if we can for just about anything.

gosox41
05-18-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by pudge
KW claims he's going to act fast this year. That could mean he might do something drastic like dump Konerko or Lee... if you are KW and you want to change this team right now, what do you do?

Me, I'd shop Konerko and Jose, as much as it pains me to know those guys will eventually heat up. I'd try to get a contact-hitting lefty - not that those are easy to come by - and a 5th starter.

No one wants PK at his salary. Who are we kidding to think he's tradeable unless we take another teams junk.

If I were KW I'd admit I'm way over my head at this GM thing and do the fans of Chicago a favor and just resign.

Bob

1951Campbell
05-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
No one wants PK at his salary. Who are we kidding to think he's tradeable unless we take another teams junk.

:KW
"Now, if I can just find another GM as gullible as I am..."

samram
05-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

Or pay a substantial portion, if not all, of his salary. The bigger problem is finding teams that need a right-handed hitting, slow first baseman. That's a small market. Pittsburgh and Tampa would seem to be the only ones. Maybe Atlanta, which doesn't want to add money.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by samram
Tampa

Konerko for Carl Crawford, straight up?

Palehose13
05-18-2004, 09:23 AM
If I were KW right now...

I would be sleeping off a major night of drinking and sobbing because of the way this team has been looking.

But, I'm me so I am optimistic that we will break out of this and be on top of the division by mid-June!

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

Konerko AND Lee for Carl Crawford, straight up.

wdelaney72
05-18-2004, 09:27 AM
This isn't going to happen any time soon.

1) Konerko sucks and no one else is stupid enough to take on his salary.

2) It's too early. Teams are not yet willing to wave the white flag.

I hope all of the Jose Valentin fans are ready to say their goodbyes, he's the only guy with a movable contract. That will be a very happy day in my world.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 09:36 AM
What the Sox need, as has been posted elsewhere:

1. Left-handed hitter to hit #5 behind Frank
2. A CF
3. An ace starting pitcher
4. A closer

Steve Finley fills needs #1 and #2.

Freddy Garcia fills need #3.

I am at a loss for filling #4. That's why KW gets paid the big bucks. That and figuring out which of the Sox highly-touted prospects will flame out so that he can trade them to fill these holes. Lee and Konerko both are expendable.

samram
05-18-2004, 09:40 AM

Konerko AND Lee for Carl Crawford, straight up.

Getting closer. :D:

Dadawg_77
05-18-2004, 10:18 AM
What is with this love affair with Crawford, he isn't that good.

Trade Konerko, possible suiters Angles, their first baseman are worse with little hope of improving. Detroit, Pena isn't doing again. They may want to upgrade. Giants, they need any help they can get behind Bonds. Mariners, Olreud isn't cutting it anymore. Gload and Thomas play first.

Trade Lee, suiters Giants (assuming Lee can play RF), Mariners (Lee DH, time for Edgar to retire), Marlins, Oakland and Detroit. One of the minor leaguers takes Lees spot.

Moving Konerko and Lee would be salary dumps so not expecting a lot of useful talent right away.

Try and trade Jose but get back some quality for him. I think he is of higher value then Konerko and Lee, who are a dime a dozen at their positions, while Jose is second tier SS. possible suitors, LA, Zona, Philly, Seattle, Angles, Fla, Giants.

This should shake up the team and bring in some new blood. It might be called white flag two, but packaging Jose, Carlos and Paul to San Fran could work as the Giants could use any of them and they need some talent around Bonds.

KingXerxes
05-18-2004, 10:22 AM
If I'm Kenny Williams, I immediately ship last night's starter back down to the minors, call up Kelly Wunsch and insert Cotts as the fifth starter. I cannot believe what they are going through in order to find their fifth guy - while Cotts wastes away in the bullpen.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
What is with this love affair with Crawford, he isn't that good.

How about Juan Pierre?

This should shake up the team and bring in some new blood. It might be called white flag two, but packaging Jose, Carlos and Paul to San Fran could work as the Giants could use any of them and they need some talent around Bonds.

How about going after players who can help this year? As in, re-load on the fly?

I know I sound like a broken record, but Steve Finley could be exactly what this team needs. A left-handed quality CF who can hit behind Frank, perhaps not for lots of homers (although who knows in the Cell?), but who can drive the ball to the right side of the field, thereby allowing Maggs or Frank to take an extra base? He should collect a plethora of RBIs on the Sox. As a former Gold-Glove winner, he also will help solidify the OF defense and help the pitchers. Also, as a member of a World Series winner, he has post-season experience that would benefit many of the Sox players.

I realize that Arizona probably wants to cut payroll and therefore wants prospects. I'm sure the Sox can work out a deal. Maybe the Sox could get Arizona to take Konerko if the Sox agree to pay his salary for the remainder of this season. Or maybe Lee could be included in the deal, or even Rowand (more of a National League type anyway).

There is no reason to hoist the white flag again. The Sox need to re-load for the rest of this season to make a run at the postseason while they still have Maggs in the lineup.

samram
05-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Trade Lee, suiters Giants (assuming Lee can play RF), Mariners (Lee DH, time for Edgar to retire), Marlins, Oakland and Detroit. One of the minor leaguers takes Lees spot.

Moving Konerko and Lee would be salary dumps so not expecting a lot of useful talent right away.

Try and trade Jose but get back some quality for him. I think he is of higher value then Konerko and Lee, who are a dime a dozen at their positions, while Jose is second tier SS. possible suitors, LA, Zona, Philly, Seattle, Angles, Fla, Giants.

To trade all those guys to the Giants, the Sox would probably have to take Alfonso and Snow, who wouldn't add anything to the team. I think the Angels are a prime team to trade with because of the Glaus, Erstad, Anderson, Salmon injuries. They could be interested in Jose as well because Eckstein has been terrible. I would take Chone Figgins from them in a second if they were willing to part with him.

Dadawg_77
05-18-2004, 10:34 AM
The thing is I think we can replace the guys who I just traded, with minor leaguers and achieve the same production. I don't think you will be able to pull in major capable player for the three. Thus free up salary which then allows 18 million to play with in order to get other players.

Finely, Beltran, Johnson, Morris who ever can then be targeted.

soxrme
05-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
If I'm Kenny Williams, I immediately ship last night's starter back down to the minors, call up Kelly Wunsch and insert Cotts as the fifth starter. I cannot believe what they are going through in order to find their fifth guy - while Cotts wastes away in the bullpen.

I agree with this totally. Diaz is showing nothing, like a guy said on the Score this morning "I was looking for a bat to hit this guy".
I have said this before put Gload at first, if Paulie sulks so be it.
He can hit. I like that at least Lee is hustling and I believe he will break out of it.

HomerCoach
05-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Trade Konerko, Lee, and Wright or Wunsch to Toronto for Delgado
Trade Rowand and Crede to Anaheim for Chone Figgins and 2 pitching prospects (young guys)

Line up:

Harris 2B
Uribe SS
Ordonez RF
Thomas DH
Delgado 1B
Olivo C
Valentin 3B
Gload LF
Figgins CF

am I on crack? oh yeah, I'm KW!

KingXerxes
05-18-2004, 11:08 AM
You want to trade guys when they are at the top of their perceived value - not at the bottom.

If KW is going to trade somebody - and get something in return - the guys he should look at moving are Uribe, Loaiza and (this is not a joke) Billy Koch. The reason I say Koch is due to the fact that his velocity seems to be returning, and you could maybe get somebody to take a flyer on him.

As far as trading Uribe and Loaiza, I don't think this is going to happen, but I also don't think Uribe will be hitting .335 in August. EL looks to be returning to his pre-2003 form with a great April, and then a slide.

soxtalker
05-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
You want to trade guys when they are at the top of their perceived value - not at the bottom.

If KW is going to trade somebody - and get something in return - the guys he should look at moving are Uribe, Loaiza and (this is not a joke) Billy Koch. The reason I say Koch is due to the fact that his velocity seems to be returning, and you could maybe get somebody to take a flyer on him.

As far as trading Uribe and Loaiza, I don't think this is going to happen, but I also don't think Uribe will be hitting .335 in August. EL looks to be returning to his pre-2003 form with a great April, and then a slide.

I agree with the general point. Trying to trade our players who aren't producing (unfortunately, a rather large fraction of our team) has to be a rather difficult proposition -- particularly if we are trying to either dump salary or obtain some sort of value in return.

I think that you may be right on Koch. As scary as his appearances have been (which was the report from Oakland when we acquired him), his stats have to look pretty good. And either Marte or Takatsu (has my vote) as a replacement.

jabrch
05-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
Trade Konerko, Lee, and Wright or Wunsch to Toronto for Delgado
Trade Rowand and Crede to Anaheim for Chone Figgins and 2 pitching prospects (young guys)

Um - and why exactly would either team make this deal with us?

HomerCoach
05-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Um - and why exactly would either team make this deal with us?

Glaus is done for the year (Crede) and Figgins is filling in for anderson who is returning soon.

Delgado is makind $19 million this year and his contract is up, they might try to get something for him.

I guess both my posts should be deeppink.

KingXerxes
05-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Okay - Here's exactly what I'd do if I were Kenny Williams:

First off you've got to build around an established veteran, and for this I nominate Mike Jackson.

Then trade off Buhrle, Loaiza, Garland and Schoenweiss - and sign the aged quartet of Danny Jackson, Grant Jackson, Roy Lee Jackson and Larry Jackson...........oh wait a minute Larry Jackson passed away some years back, so go out and get Dodger prospect Edwin Jackson. With this rotation, you could then light up the marquee on the Ryan to say:

Appearing tonight - The Jackson Five!

:KW

"Can't afford Grant Jackson, who did you say the dead guy was?"

Mickster
05-18-2004, 11:40 AM
If I were Kenny Williams....

........I'd put the barrel-end of a 9mm into my mouth, pull the trigger and end the misery.