PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Off His Game This Year

Hosey22
05-18-2004, 01:20 AM
I've gotta say watching Sox games this year I've noticed that Hawk is more off of his game than usual. Usually he may make some nonsense comments or shout stretch to much, but most of the time he's right about the important things, like outs, score, baserunners, etc. But this year has been different, there have been so many times when we've had 1 out or been up by two and he'll say that there are two outs or that we have a one run lead or something. For example tonight someone hit a double and cleveland had men on second and third and he said there were runners on the corners. I keep waiting for him to say 'check that' but he hasn't. It's not really important, truthfully i love listening to hawk talk about baseball, i love the guy as a sox broadcaster and fan, but he has been off this year. Has anyone else noticed this?

Soxman22

dillio
05-18-2004, 01:30 AM
maybe he is becoming senile thats all i can think

pudge
05-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Man, it's sad when it starts to happen... happened to Harry and it's happening to the legendary Dave Niehaus in Seattle.

batmanZoSo
05-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Hosey22
I've gotta say watching Sox games this year I've noticed that Hawk is more off of his game than usual. Usually he may make some nonsense comments or shout stretch to much, but most of the time he's right about the important things, like outs, score, baserunners, etc. But this year has been different, there have been so many times when we've had 1 out or been up by two and he'll say that there are two outs or that we have a one run lead or something. For example tonight someone hit a double and cleveland had men on second and third and he said there were runners on the corners. I keep waiting for him to say 'check that' but he hasn't. It's not really important, truthfully i love listening to hawk talk about baseball, i love the guy as a sox broadcaster and fan, but he has been off this year. Has anyone else noticed this?

Soxman22

He also pointed out this seven game road trip..."Three in Cleveland and three in Minnesota."

He's getting old....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/hawk.jpg
"Your what hurts? Seriously, I couldn't hear you."

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 02:12 AM
Who can forget Juan's Uribe's brother, Jose, hitting a homer for us.

And here is Hawk's new thing:

:hawk

"No doom and gloom."

Sure hawk.

StockdaleForVeep
05-18-2004, 02:43 AM
In the twins game when magglio missed that homerun he was already into his "you caaaaan put it on the booooard...." then realized it was a double

WhiteSox = Life
05-18-2004, 03:12 AM
Don't worry. Hawk'll come around once the weather gets better and more consistent.

"Mercy!"

C-Dawg
05-18-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by dillio
maybe he is becoming senile thats all i can think

If this is true we probably need to monitor the situation closely. If he gets too senile it will be time for him to move to a position in the Cubs broadcast booth, where he will gradually become more incoherent and drooling over the next 15 years. And after he dies they will put up a statue of him near Wrigley Field, and the Cub fans will have forgotten Hawk's long career on the south side.

MarqSox
05-18-2004, 08:19 AM
I have noticed this as well. He's only 63, however, which isn't quite old enough for senility to really be taking hold. But he's definitely on a downward slope, and it's too bad. I'm guessing he's probably only got 3 or 4 decent years left before he starts spelling peoples' names backwards. :(:

Railsplitter
05-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Any of you heard of Alzheimers' Disease? It can start taking effect in the 50's. Age does not automatically mean loss of memory. My 90-year old grandmother is still lucid.

jackbrohamer
05-18-2004, 09:39 AM
The only problems with Hawk can be cured by teaming him with a color announcer with a personality. Right now, he's chained to DJ the talking corpse.

jm831
05-18-2004, 09:54 AM
This is a little off-topic, and I apologize if it has been brought up before... but it seems that a real high percentage of the Sox games are being blacked out on regular DirecTV (living in Ca, DirecTV is my lifeline to the Sox), and moved to the MLB Extra Innings channels (cost more $... thanks DirecTV!). Anyway, it seems that everytime this happens, it's our opponent's feed that is featured. No matter how bad Hawk may be slipping, some of these guys (particularly in the AL Central) make Hawk and DJ seem like Ernie Harwell and Jack Buck.

Is there some contractural reason why the Sox feed is rarely, if ever, the one that is moved to the MLB Extra Innings package?

KingXerxes
05-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

And here is Hawk's new thing:

"No doom and gloom."

Am I glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Anybody who watched the television broadcast last night had to notice that both Harrelson and Jackson must have taken "Happy Pills" before the broadcast.

They came off like a couple of pollyannas to say the least - not Harrelson's usual homerism, but an entirely new level of unbridled optimism.

:DJ

"Well here we are in the top of the seventh trailing 7-1, but there's plenty of time left to get back into this one........and even if we don't come back here - Well we'll still have a 6 and 1 road trip.......and I think that's just great."

"Yessir.............every single time I played in the major leagues, I took something positive home with me after the game, and that's what the White Sox are going to do tonight.........there's a double play ball, out at second...........out at first.........so the Sox are retired here in the seventh where they trail 7-1.......but we do have six more outs to do some damage here tonight!"

:DJ

"That's right partner.......six more outs. You can do a lot with six outs if you're positive."

"Yessir..........stay positive............all the time..........about everything."

GoSox2K3
05-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
If this is true we probably need to monitor the situation closely. If he gets too senile it will be time for him to move to a position in the Cubs broadcast booth, where he will gradually become more incoherent and drooling over the next 15 years. And after he dies they will put up a statue of him near Wrigley Field, and the Cub fans will have forgotten Hawk's long career on the south side.

LMAO! You forgot the part about the Cubs media machine turning Hawk into a national celebrity and brainwashing everyone expect Sox fans into believing that he spent his entire career with the Cubs. The Wrigley tourist crowd will start saying "I don't go to Sox games because they don't have Hawk as an announcer", etc.

By the way, I hate it when Hawk says "stretch!". I cringe every time I hear it.

inta
05-18-2004, 12:16 PM
man this is a depressing thread...

:(:

rmusacch
05-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I have noticed this as well. He's only 63, however, which isn't quite old enough for senility to really be taking hold. But he's definitely on a downward slope, and it's too bad. I'm guessing he's probably only got 3 or 4 decent years left before he starts spelling peoples' names backwards. :(:

A friend of mine's dad died of Alzheimer's in his early 50's.

pudge
05-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by jm831
This is a little off-topic, and I apologize if it has been brought up before... but it seems that a real high percentage of the Sox games are being blacked out on regular DirecTV (living in Ca, DirecTV is my lifeline to the Sox), and moved to the MLB Extra Innings channels (cost more $... thanks DirecTV!). Anyway, it seems that everytime this happens, it's our opponent's feed that is featured. No matter how bad Hawk may be slipping, some of these guys (particularly in the AL Central) make Hawk and DJ seem like Ernie Harwell and Jack Buck.

Is there some contractural reason why the Sox feed is rarely, if ever, the one that is moved to the MLB Extra Innings package?

I have no clue what you're talking about, I have the package and I usually get Fox sports Chicago doing the Sox games. Usually they broadcast the home team's feed.

32nd&Wallace
05-18-2004, 12:56 PM
During Sat night' MN game he forgot what inning it was. "We go to the bottom of the 9th" when it was only the 8th.

jlh0023
05-18-2004, 02:14 PM
i completely agree, i was just saying the same thing to my dad. i'm starting to think that he should only speak when he's got a catch phrase to get out, and then we should get two new commentators.

Hosey22
05-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still love listening to Hawk talk baseball, and the optimism is one of my favorite parts. I like listening to Hawk because he is a white sox fan and you can hear it. You can hear the excitement when they're winning and the let down when they blow a lead or something. And it may not be the thing you always need to hear, but listening to him being optimistic at tough times sometimes keeps me from losing faith.

I'll never forget last year when we were at the game right after the all-star break, when we we're gettin our butts beat in by Detroit on a rainy night, and when the 7th inning stretch came around we were down something like 10-2 and looked like we had no hope. I was sitting behind home plate with some of my buds being optimistic as possible, the idiot i am, and things looked bleak. When the 7th inning stretch came around and everybody was standing afterwards hawk was waving to all the fans. I turned around to see this and when he looked in my direction I shrugged my shoulders like 'what is goin on' and he did the same thing back to me. After that the sox still lost, but tore the cover off the ball trying to get back into it and lost 10-9. It's stuff like that which really make me appreciate him as an announcer and true fan. I hope the hawk is around forever, senility or not.

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 04:43 PM
On a related note:

DJ is getting better and better. He used to be brutal. It seems like he has really come into his own this year.

I don't remember the context, but he said something a Sox player did...sucked (It might have been Alomar's bunt attempts). I thought that was great.