PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers on CLTV tonight (re: Maggs)

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Rogers said he doesn't think the Sox will resign Maggs (not sure if he meant they flat out won't do it or they won't do it before he tests free agency). Said the closer a player gets to free agency, the harder it is to sign the player and keep him from testing the market.

It should be replayed at midnight.

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 12:42 AM
As long as we get a player of his caliber to replace him (preferably at a different position) *cough, Renteria, cough* I am OK with that.

He wants too much dinero.

OEO Magglio
05-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
As long as we get a player of his caliber to replace him (preferably at a different position) *cough, Renteria, cough* I am OK with that.

How about a left handed bat or a starting pitcher, Renteria is great, but I think I'd rather let Uribe and Willie play the middle infield next year and build from there.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 12:53 AM

I disagree. The Sox should spread that money around to 3 or 4 different players. They should invest some of it to sign Loaiza, another starting pitcher (Freddy Garcia?), shore up the bullpen, and then give the rest to a cheap OF (they can even trade for someone like Carl Everett, until the young guys are ready). I mean, Reggie Sanders hit 31 HRs last year (that's two more than Maggs) and he's playing for $2M this year, and playing very well. These guys are out there, you just have to find them and be smart about it.

Chisoxfn
05-18-2004, 12:55 AM
I decided I'm going to be crazy. If Maggs wants 14-15 mill, screw it, spend 14-15 mill on Beltran.

Yah, thats the end of my little dream. I just don't see how Maggs is a better player then Garrent Anderson who took less money, by a decent amount very recently. Of course he went on to hurt his back and is probably going to be out a while.

kittle42
05-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Not another Maggs thread.

He isn't going to be resigned.

No player of his caliber will be signed to replace him.

Am I the only one who actually follows what ownership does here?

batmanZoSo
05-18-2004, 01:45 AM

Why spend that much on a doubles hitting shortstop?

I would be in favor of letting Maggs go if we also got rid of Lee, Valentin and Koch, and replaced them with....

1. An ace starter
2. A good leadoff center fielder with great speed
3. A closer
4. A second baseman, preferably one who can hit...or go the small ball route and get a Luis Castillo type.

Total salary for Maggs, Valentin, Lee, and Koch = 31 million.

That can equal Freddy Garcia, Juan Pierre, Jose Vidro and Eddie Guardado. Throw in Guillermo Mota too.

I'm just using these names to show how infinitely wiser we could spend 30 million bucks.

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 02:16 AM
That is true. I think SS is such a hard position to fill, that Renteria would be an awesome addition.

Spreading it around would be great also. As long as KW does it in the right way.

Whatever, I am worried about this season. We have 3 GREAT outfield prospects in Anderson, Sweeney and Reed. I am not worried.

And if we can trade Konerko, starting in the offseason that is

Maggs-14 million
Koch-5 million
Valentin-5 million
Konerko-8 million

32 million for KW to fool around with.

:KW

"But don't forget about the extentions to Borchard, Rowand, Diaz, Politte and Perez."

LASOXFAN
05-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Not another Maggs thread.

He isn't going to be resigned.

No player of his caliber will be signed to replace him.

Am I the only one who actually follows what ownership does here?

Albert Belle leaves us dreaming.

SSN721
05-18-2004, 07:11 AM
I cant be the only one left who still wants to sign Maggs. For all the people who defend Valentin on this site (which I personally cant fathom) I am shocked no one is defending Maggs. I would say right now he seems to be the best player we have on this team, I always look at him as the heart of this team personally. He is the type of player you build around. I would prefer he was looking for around 12 a year instead of 14 mil. But I still beleive he is worth it, he is a proven commodity, there is no guarantee all three or even one will be a phenomenal major leaguer and I would be willing to pay for a proven commodity.

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 09:59 AM

When have the SOX EVER gone out and Gotten what they needed? In 1990, we needed another hitter. 1991 another hitter and Pitcher. 1992 bullpen help, and a hitter. 1993 we still needed another Hitter. 1994 finally got the hitter, on our way to Series, but JR wanted a strike instead. 1995 let everyone go. 1996 needed a starting pitcher. 1997 needed everything. 1998 (see 97) 1999 needed everything.
2000 Injuries cost us pitching Early, we needed Pitching. 2001 we needed pitching from 2000. 2002 we needed pitching, CF, Leadoff and bullpen help. 2003, we needed pitching, CF, Leadoff and bullpen help. 2004, we needed Pitching, CF,
Leadoff and bullpen help.
Whats changed .....? Nothing.

rahulsekhar
05-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
When have the SOX EVER gone out and Gotten what they needed? In 1990, we needed another hitter. 1991 another hitter and Pitcher. 1992 bullpen help, and a hitter. 1993 we still needed another Hitter. 1994 finally got the hitter, on our way to Series, but JR wanted a strike instead. 1995 let everyone go. 1996 needed a starting pitcher. 1997 needed everything. 1998 (see 97) 1999 needed everything.
2000 Injuries cost us pitching Early, we needed Pitching. 2001 we needed pitching from 2000. 2002 we needed pitching, CF, Leadoff and bullpen help. 2003, we needed pitching, CF, Leadoff and bullpen help. 2004, we needed Pitching, CF,
Leadoff and bullpen help.
Whats changed .....? Nothing.

To be 100% fair, I believe we did go get Navarro and Belle in '96, no? (Or was Jaime the year before?). Obviously that worked about as well as signing my old high school jockstrap and running it out there, but the intent and resources were there. Same in 2001 - David Wells was supposed to be the anchor starter that he was before and after that year, we got his 1 crap year. Even this year, they tried to resign Colon, Alomar, & Everett. Bart got WAY too much $$$$ (IMO), and both Everett & Alomar signed for less than they would have gotten with the Sox, which indicates their misjudgement of the market more than an unwillingness to get guys.

Yes, they didn't make moves to get mid-tier guys, but that speaks more to an overrating of internal ability and a desire not to go overboard financially for mediocre talent (They were right on Shingo, Schoeny, Harris, Uribe & wrong on Rowand, Koch, Politte). All signs point towards resources being available for KW to go make midseason deals.

The Sox are fairly extreme in their financial management: When the team is doing well and/or attendance is good, they seem to spend more $$$. But when things slump or people don't come out, they cut back. The merits of investing when you're weak and less attended have been discussed ad nauseum, but it's not like they never make moves to try and shore up supposed weak areas.