PDA

View Full Version : Official Manic-Deprssive (Bipolar) Thread

Win1ForMe
05-17-2004, 10:51 PM
...because we're only 3 games behind them, aren't you worried about the Indians/Tigers who are only 2.5 behind us? I mean, people don't act like the 3 games is a big deal, so by the same token, our lead over Cleveland should have you worried.

Cleveland plays at Tampa this weekend. We could very well be in third place by the end of the week.

jlh0023
05-17-2004, 10:55 PM
that's true, but in the long run, the twins are my concern..... you could combine the other three AL central teams and i wouldn't mind, because between them they only have 1 good starting pitcher (CC Sabathia).... not that i'm bragging about are starters

soxwon
05-17-2004, 10:56 PM
if were in third in may so be it.
why worry we still have 4 months to go
anything and everything can happen
we have the guns for the long hall.
im not worried until sept 20th

Nick@Nite
05-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
...because we're only 3 games behind them, aren't you worried about the Indians/Tigers who are only 2.5 behind us? I mean, people don't act like the 3 games is a big deal, so by the same token, our lead over Cleveland should have you worried.

Cleveland plays at Tampa this weekend. We could very well be in third place by the end of the week.

And if so, it will only be the 3rd week of May. Approximately 140 or so more days until October.

inta
05-17-2004, 11:03 PM
the sox blow.
2000 is long gone, time to stop holding onto that failed dream.

dismantle this team of losers, they have no fire and none of them are worth of wearing this uniform.

anyone who's played under JM is tainted.

and dont reply to this thread after the sox have their once a week/month blowout game. yeah they'll play like gangbusters once in awhile, but a real time does so all the time.

how soon till bears season?

ChiSox7
05-17-2004, 11:04 PM
and we'd be out of it in this May, just like 01 and 02. THere is no POS KC team to come back to the pack this time. We would be screwed. We're screwed any tho. Our offense just isnt good enough. FOurth best offense in this division, the worst division in baseball.

Amazing.

kevingrt
05-17-2004, 11:06 PM
We have plenty of time people. We aren't playing sucky and we aren't playing great hopefully by mid june the latter comes.

jcirish85
05-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by inta
the sox blow.

dismantle this team of losers, they have no fire and none of them are worth of wearing this uniform.

and dont reply to this thread after the sox have their once a week/month blowout game. yeah they'll play like gangbusters once in awhile, but a real time does so all the time.

I agree. This team can't
1. play defense
2. play on the road
3.win big games
4. run faster than a snails pace.
5. hit pitchers they have never seen
6. etc.
This team has way too many holes and they need a major overhaul.

compy75
05-17-2004, 11:09 PM
We aren't playing sucky and we aren't playing great hopefully by mid june the latter comes.

Come on now! We have more errors than hits tonight. We are 0-4 in our last 4 road games vs Toronto and Cleveland! Our offense is all or nothing, and our star (Ordonez) is merely a compiler who puts together stats when they mean the least. Oh and we don't have a 5th starter and haven't won when the 5th starter has gone since last July.

compy75
05-17-2004, 11:12 PM
It's more the style the team is built around. All of our hitters are all or nothing. Everyone is a low average, low OBP, high home run type hitter. You can't win with that brand of hitting unless you played at Wrigley LA.
Even glancing at the 2000 team, that team was not built on as much all or nothing as this team.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by jcirish85
I agree. This team can't
1. play defense
2. play on the road
3.win big games
6. etc.

What do you mean we can't play defense? Explain that.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2004, 11:15 PM
According to Phil Rogers since the start of the 2001 season the Sox win percentage at home is about .600 on the road it's around .430. That's a wide descrepency.

But following up on what Bob Vanderberg said the Sox may not have a choice but to play for the long ball since Comiskey is a homer happy place (averaging three a game...) I guess you could win that way if you had a stellar pitching staff that can somehow win when your offense isn't clicking through a 162 season.

Lip

The_Floridian
05-17-2004, 11:16 PM
What the hell is wrong with people? This has got to be the lowest morale fanbase I've ever seen!

Here's the facts. Assuming we lose today, we're 3 games out with 4 and a half months left in the season.

And you quitters are ready to write off the whole year for that?

Teams get hot. Teams get cold. We're cold right now. Obviously, some don't think that will change. I do.

Look, I'm a little bummed too at our play since we went to Toronto, but I'm not ready to write off the whole freakin' season.

April was one of the most exciting months of baseball I've ever experienced as a fan. I'm willing to be this team has more of that left in them.

inta
05-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by compy75
It's more the style the team is built around. All of our hitters are all or nothing. Everyone is a low average, low OBP, high home run type hitter. You can't win with that brand of hitting unless you played at Wrigley LA.

well, the Cell is one of of the easiest HR parks around, for both the home team and visitors. so even then, these guys are failing.

Originally posted by compy75
Even glancing at the 2000 team, that team was not built on as much all or nothing as this team.

so true. granted i like our starting lineup now WAY more than then, hell our pitching is the only thing keeping us in games these days. but it's like our lineup is a bunch of clones of the same narrowminded hitter.

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Teams have slumps. That's Baseball.

Besides, you didn't really think this team had the ability to go practically Wire-to-Wire anyways now did you?

ChiSox7
05-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by The_Floridian
What the hell is wrong with people? This has got to be the lowest morale fanbase I've ever seen!

Here's the facts. Assuming we lose today, we're 3 games out with 4 and a half months left in the season.

Teams get hot. Teams get cold. We're cold right now. Obviously, some don't think that will change. I do.

Look, I'm a little bummed too at our play since we went to Toronto, but I'm not ready to write off the whole freakin' season.

April was one of the most exciting months of baseball I've ever experienced as a fan. I'm willing to be this team has more of that left in them.

We've been cold for the last 3 years, except for one month in July where it appears we are 8 or 9 games out of the race and there is no pressure. Then we pound the baseball.

If this year and this team were taken totally in vacuum, with no references around it, (i.e. the last three season), then I would have no problem saying we have a good chance to win the division and say its early.

But the bottom line is this is the team and lineup that has sucked the past three seasons, and I do have something to reference it with, and in all of those references, the Twins have KICKED OUR ASS. I would like nothing more to to think that we will kill the Twins, but I just don't see it happening with this lineup. Hisotry is NOT on our side.

TornLabrum
05-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Sheesh! This isn't the NFL, folks! It's MAY. There is a lot of time and a lot of things can happen. Look at last year. We were--what?--8 games or so out at the end of June or so, and we had first place by the beginning of September...and then we blew it.

This isn't even the NBA or the NHL. We play twice as many games.

Granted, right now we suck, and something has to be done, and it needs to be done soon, if only to send a message to the players and fans. But in the long run, it's going to be which team outlasts the others in this division.

Those of you who have been around here for awhile know that I'm not the most optimistic of Sox fans, but this daily shift of emotions with each win or loss is ridiculous. What's going to happen is going to happen, and even a two or three week slump doesn't necessarily mean we're already out of it. Not this early in the year.

I'll make a deal with you. If you quit writing all of this manic-depressive stuff every day, I'll tell you when to panic.

TornLabrum
05-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Instead of posting all of these different threads showing daily swing between elation and utter despair, post all of that crap here so the rest of us don't have to read it.

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Instead of posting all of these different threads showing daily swing between elation and utter despair, post all of that crap here so the rest of us don't have to read it.

Right on! As an optimistic realist I appreciate this thread.

The_Floridian
05-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Thank you Labrum.

I was about to have to replace all my lamps with black lights and read Sylvia Plath all night.

ma-gaga
05-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe

I'd say that you have to worry about Cleveland, they have the best young starting pitching in the division. If their hitting develops, they'll be tough. Thank god for the Cleveland bullpen. They could easily have had 5-6 more wins if that bullpen didn't stink so badly.

They are close to contending. A lot closer than KC is.

kittle42
05-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
What do you mean we can't play defense? Explain that.

Do we have more errors than hits tonight?

Win1ForMe
05-17-2004, 11:38 PM

Just curious, have you missed the past few years? Because this team is playing EXACTLY the same way it has in years past. From your post, it sounds like you've been a Sox fan for approximately the last 2 months. I don't see how any fan in their right mind can't see the warning signs we've been shown these last few weeks.

I also think we'll get hot...just like we did last July. That would put us on pace for another nice mid-80s win season (without the playoffs, of course) to show for our troubles.

April was one of the most exciting months of baseball I've ever experienced as a fan.

You mean like April 2002, which included a 13-3 streak. How quickly you forget.

I dunno, these "don't panic, it's early posts" make me sick. We've seen this team pee away seasons in the early part of the year the LAST 3 YEARS!! Every freakin' year they do it. When will people learn?

kittle42
05-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
According to Phil Rogers since the start of the 2001 season the Sox win percentage at home is about .600 on the road it's around .430. That's a wide descrepency.

They still manage to lose every game I show up at.

Win1ForMe
05-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Sheesh! This isn't the NFL, folks! It's MAY. There is a lot of time and a lot of things can happen. Look at last year. We were--what?--8 games or so out at the end of June or so, and we had first place by the beginning of September...and then we blew it.

Yeah, but there's two ways to look at it. Had we not struggled in May, we would have never given up first place in September. Is that so hard to see?

Malgar 12
05-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
if were in third in may so be it.
why worry we still have 4 months to go
anything and everything can happen
we have the guns for the long hall.
im not worried until sept 20th

Wasnt the official demise started on September 12 last year?
not to mention the without the huge hole dug in May,
the race would have been over.

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 11:52 PM

This isn't even the NBA or the NHL. We play twice as many games.

Granted, right now we suck, and something has to be done, and it needs to be done soon, if only to send a message to the players and fans. But in the long run, it's going to be which team outlasts the others in this division.

Those of you who have been around here for awhile know that I'm not the most optimistic of Sox fans, but this daily shift of emotions with each win or loss is ridiculous. What's going to happen is going to happen, and even a two or three week slump doesn't necessarily mean we're already out of it. Not this early in the year.

I'll make a deal with you. If you quit writing all of this manic-depressive stuff every day, I'll tell you when to panic.

I Couldnt put it any better myself

CHISOXFAN13
05-17-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
that's true, but in the long run, the twins are my concern..... you could combine the other three AL central teams and i wouldn't mind, because between them they only have 1 good starting pitcher (CC Sabathia).... not that i'm bragging about are starters

That Cliff Lee character ain't half bad. Jake Westbrook has also been solid. If Cleveland gets anything out of theat pen, they are better than us. Their offense is actually consistent.

ChiSox7
05-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
That Cliff Lee character ain't half bad. Jake Westbrook has also been solid. If Cleveland gets anything out of theat pen, they are better than us. Their offense is actually consistent.

Dead on. Their bullpen has blown 7 games so far this year. They could ahve 21 or 22 wins at this point. And they should have beaten us 3 out of 3 times, but our offense got lucky against the worst bullpen in the league. I don't think there is any question that they are better than us. I think we're closer to Detroit than we are to Minny.

Realist
05-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Thank you Labrum.

I was about to have to replace all my lamps with black lights and read Sylvia Plath all night.

I'm gonna go with Emily Dickinson.

inta
05-17-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
They still manage to lose every game I show up at.

god, that just reads so f'n true for me as well.

OurBitchinMinny
05-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by inta
the sox blow.

I think this team is starting to prove that JM was not the problem. This team is the problem. You cant have a team leader like frank thomas. Maggs, the best player, is not a leader. Everyone gave JM so much crap, but maybe it wasnt his fault. He made some questionable calls, but so has guillen. This is a team of cancers.

mdep524
05-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by jcirish85

I agree. This team can't
1. play defense
2. play on the road
3.win big games
6. etc.

Seems so simple, doesn't it? Anybody can figure this out. Anyone except Ken Williams of course, who REWARDS players like Konerko, Lee and Rowand for their crappy performance.

When will KW get it? How long until the proverbial last horse crosses the line????

mdep524
05-18-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
But following up on what Bob Vanderberg said the Sox may not have a choice but to play for the long ball since Comiskey is a homer happy place (averaging three a game...) I guess you could win that way if you had a stellar pitching staff that can somehow win when your offense isn't clicking through a 162 season.

Lip, you made this point in another thread as well, and I don't agree with the concept that "because Comiskey is homer happy the Sox necessarily have to play for the long ball."

That is a very superficial thought and I am surprised, especially given the 2001-04 White Sox, that you would give it any time of day.

WinningUgly!
05-18-2004, 12:19 AM

Amen!

Remember, even if this team were to somehow end up winning 100 games this year, we'd still have another 45 days filled with the doom & gloom posts following the losses. :D:

delben91
05-18-2004, 12:21 AM

Thank you, thank you. It's all but impossible for me to dredge through the thread titles on days/nights after losses on this board.