PDA

View Full Version : Time to check on who has thrown in the towel...

The_Floridian
05-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Okay folks...

With all the gloom and doom going on, it's time to see who is throwing in the towel.

So far, the only one who's thrown it in that I know of is HomeFish, who officially gave up on April 11.

Time to stand up and be counted doomsayers. If your eally think this team's not worth a crap, say so once and for all. I think we're fine, but that's just me.

Who's officially giving up?

inta
05-17-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm all for dismantling this team. trade every superstar we have to rebuild our farm system.

I can't say I've given up on this team coz they do have a chance in this weak division and division heavy schedules.
I'll still cheer for them.
but the division is Minnesota's to lose, and they're already winning it in spite of losing half their stars to injury or trade.

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm giving up.....

When the Sox games left is 3 times the amount of Games behind. I don't anticipate that even being a possibility until mid to late September

kittle42
05-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by inta
I'm all for dismantling this team. trade every superstar we have to rebuild our farm system.

Great idea.

The_Floridian
05-17-2004, 11:36 PM

I can't say I've given up on this team coz they do have a chance in this weak division and division heavy schedules.
I'll still cheer for them.
but the division is Minnesota's to lose, and they're already winning it in spite of losing half their stars to injury or trade.

You want to dismantle the team, but...you aren't giving up on them?

What a pile. If you're giving up on the team, just say it. Don't try and cover your ass so we can't pelt you with nerf balls when this team takes the division.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 11:39 PM
I think 1 of the following must go, possibly 2, and this is not an over-reaction:

Maggs
CLee
Valentin
Crede

kittle42
05-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I think 1 of the following must go, possibly 2, and this is not an over-reaction:

Maggs
CLee
Valentin
Crede

I think almost everyone will agree that one of these fellas needs to go.

:manos
"Who, me?"

ChiSox7
05-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

"Who, me?"

I think this is one of the guys that we CAN"T let go. We need a lefty in the middle of that lineup. Maggs could bring good value.

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 11:44 PM

Maggs
CLee
Valentin
Crede

Subtract Maggs and add Konerko and I agree with you.

Win1ForMe
05-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

"Who, me?"

I don't think it would be very smart to let Jose go, our only lefty power bat. I'd say get rid of Crede (who's movable) and play Jose at 3B and Uribe at SS. Then go and trade for a CF.

Brian26
05-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Who the hell would want Crede at this point?

I think the right-handed, pop-up hitting juggernaut foursome of Caballo, Konerko, Frank, and Mags needs to be broken up in some way. I hate to say it. But, since the 2000 playoffs, there has been more disappointment out of those 4 than anything.

inta
Originally posted by The_Floridian
You want to dismantle the team, but...you aren't giving up on them?

What a pile. If you're giving up on the team, just say it. Don't try and cover your ass so we can't pelt you with nerf balls when this team takes the division.

hey assneck!
there's a huge difference between dismantling and "giving up".
giving up just sounds pathetic, like not even reading about the sox anymore. I'd still follow this team if they were in last.

if the sox win the division or more with this current team. awesome. i was definitely in the wrong. but i just dont see it.

Win1ForMe
Originally posted by ChiSox7
I think this is one of the guys that we CAN"T let go. We need a lefty in the middle of that lineup. Maggs could bring good value.

I'm hesitant to let Maggs go because, even though I don't think we should resign him, he's still the best hitter we have for *this* season. Again, I'll go with Crede who's probably the easiest to move and would give us something in return because of his cheap contract.

The_Floridian
Funny...I started this as a thread to see who was giving up on the season. So far no one has answered, except for a guy who gave up and then hedged.

And I was so sure the sky was falling on us.

ChiSox7
05-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Funny...I started this as a thread to see who was giving up on the season. So far no one has answered, except for a guy who gave up and then hedged.

And I was so sure the sky was falling on us.

I think we are in REAL big trouble, cause this is the same team that lost the last few years, but I don't know if that's giving up or not. You can put it in whatever category you want cause I won't care.

We better watch out, however, or we'll be 8 games back in June and the sky will be falling.

The_Floridian
hey assneck!
there's a huge difference between dismantling and "giving up".
giving up just sounds pathetic, like not even reading about the sox anymore. I'd still follow this team if they were in last.

if the sox win the division or more with this current team. awesome. i was definitely in the wrong. but i just dont see it.

I was asking who was giving up on the season (2004), not the team in general.

Are you giving up on the season?

Sincerely,

Assneck

Win1ForMe
Originally posted by Brian26
Who the hell would want Crede at this point?

I think the right-handed, pop-up hitting juggernaut foursome of Caballo, Konerko, Frank, and Mags needs to be broken up in some way. I hate to say it. But, since the 2000 playoffs, there has been more disappointment out of those 4 than anything.

Nobody's touching Frank or Konerko. I could see Carlos being moved, but really, Carlos and Crede are very similar at this point so I don't see how you could say no one would want Crede but go for Carlos (especially since Crede makes A LOT less than Carlos).

The_Floridian
05-17-2004, 11:55 PM
I think we are in REAL big trouble, cause this is the same team that lost the last few years, but I don't know if that's giving up or not. You can put it in whatever category you want cause I won't care.

We better watch out, however, or we'll be 8 games back in June and the sky will be falling.

That's not giving up. That's fair criticism.

I was curious who actually thinks 2004 is already a wash.

OurBitchinMinny
05-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Im not giving up yet, mainly because the twins just are not that damn good. KW does have to do something. Trade one of the right hand bats for a starter. Try and geta top of the line starter, then garland can be the #5. Personally I want frank or PK to go. I can not stand watching thomas throw his fat ass backwards as he gets called out on strikes. I dont give a damn about his OBP. He is old, doesnt hit for averagea and rarely comes through in the clutch. however he is a name and might be able to command soemthing in return, which PK likely would not. Rowand needs to be released, traded, or sent to low A ball. Diaz is definitely not ready. There has to be changes, but this division is just too crappy to throw in the towel in may

Nard
05-18-2004, 12:03 AM
We're fine.

It's just a May slump.

If we're playing like this, oh, HALFWAY INTO THE SEASON MAYBE then I might be concerned.

The lineup's going through a slump after some early success. Our bullpen is outstanding and 3 of our starting pitchers are throwing some real heat.

We're playing this ****ty and are still 2nd in the division, only 3 games behind first.

If the Twins were really a great team wouldn't they be far, far ahead of our pathetic team that needs to be dismantled tonight?

They had a 4+ game losing streak earlier and no one in Minny cried to dismantle the team.

Calm the **** down.

inta
05-18-2004, 12:05 AM
I was asking who was giving up on the season (2004), not the team in general.

Are you giving up on the season?

Sincerely,

Assneck

Excuse me Mayor McJerkoff, but your original post was "who has thrown in the towel" nowhere did i say i threw in the towel, what I think is wrong with this current sox team. but i never expressed a sentiment of agreeance with your original query.

it wasnt ass covering. it was annoyance at what has become a recurring nightmare....

no i'm not giving up on this season, but i'm about 3/4ths of the way there if we keep this current team.

Huisj
05-18-2004, 12:07 AM
as much as i hate to say it, i'm pretty much to the point where i think this team needs to go. ordonez will probably be gone, konerko stinks, valentin is old and not that great and isn't worth what he makes, lee just can't quite put it together, and he probably won't ever with the sox, thomas (as much as I really really hate to say it) is really not going to help much of anything anymore with the rest of the team sucking, plus every month or so he talks about how he's pissed about something. Loaiza is probably gone after this year, and he's not super good really anyways. Garland just doesn't quite get it, Buerhle had it but has become less and less consistent, and is vocal about wishing he was elsewhere. The bullpen sucks and is just kind of a messy patchwork anyways of stopgap guys.

This team could putz their way along and finish a little over .500 in a bad division, and have no hope of ever getting better in the years to come. And is that worth it? I don't think so. Clean house, start over. It'll be painful to watch. The sox will really stink for a while, maybe a long while. Who knows. But I think it needs to be done, because for whatever reason, this current group of players just seems like they are eternal underachievers, and they will never get over that.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Nard
If the Twins were really a great team wouldn't they be far, far ahead of our pathetic team that needs to be dismantled tonight?

Umm, the Twins have the best record in baseball right now. Give them a few weeks (well, maybe untill the end of this week) and they just might be far, far ahead of us.

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Umm, the Twins have the best record in baseball right now. Give them a few weeks (well, maybe untill the end of this week) and they just might be far, far ahead of us.

You can definitely say that goes the other way...The Twins are winners, which accounts for something, but they are still WAY over where they *should* be wins wise. They are the most over-achieving team in baseball...and that kind of stuff tends to even out.

Please don't forget the Twins got off to a good start last year, only to lose 14 of 16 games mid-season.

ChiSox7
05-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Please don't forget the Twins got off to a good start last year, only to lose 14 of 16 games mid-season.

And we still couldnt beat them. And I think this Twins team is much much better, which means we're in trouble.

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 12:34 AM
And we still couldnt beat them. And I think this Twins team is much much better, which means we're in trouble.

How do you figure they are much, much better?

inta
05-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Nard
We're fine.

It's just a May slump.

allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your first year as a sox fan!

truthfully though, it's more of a millenium slump.
Reinsdorf must've been a child rapist in the 90's for the bad karma we get....

ChiSox7
05-18-2004, 12:37 AM
How do you figure they are much, much better?

THey are hitting the ball better. Their bullpen has been better with Nathan doing exactly what Guardado did if not more, while Romero is much better over last year and Rincon is playing well. Plus their starters are now dominating people, and I don't remember them doing that a whole bunch last year.

Maybe they aren't "much, much" better, but I think they are better, and they kicked our asses last year.

I do know one thing for sure, however. They are a better team than us, and in the end, that's all that matters.

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 12:46 AM
THey are hitting the ball better. Their bullpen has been better with Nathan doing exactly what Guardado did if not more, while Romero is much better over last year and Rincon is playing well. Plus their starters are now dominating people, and I don't remember them doing that a whole bunch last year.

Maybe they aren't "much, much" better, but I think they are better, and they kicked our asses last year.

I do know one thing for sure, however. They are a better team than us, and in the end, that's all that matters.

It's hard to argue against a team that is playing as well as the Twins. But they are over-achieving to a degree that can't keep up.

Hitting goes in cycles, we obviously know that on the South Side. Their lineup is the same as last year, minus Lew "I am off my face" Ford.

Their bullpen is weaker, I don't care what anyone says. We are only in May and they have done the job, but we can't evaluate until at least the all-star break.

Their starters ARE NOT dominating people, look at their numbers. Especially that overrated piece of garbage Radke...and Silva. Santana is good. Greisinger is only good against us...he isn't going to hang for long. You want to see good starting pitching...look at the Sox.

But the Twins do win games they aren't supposed to. That is what is going to keep them on top, if anything.

Chisoxfn
05-18-2004, 12:57 AM

Maggs
CLee
Valentin
Crede
Why Maggs and not Konerko? I realize Maggs will be a free agent, but I wouldn't think about dealing him until near the deadline. After that, I'd think the Sox would be hard pressed not to move him. If they lose him via FA, they aren't going to offer him arbitration and therefor won't get draft pick compensation for him either.

Win1ForMe
05-18-2004, 12:58 AM
You can definitely say that goes the other way...The Twins are winners, which accounts for something, but they are still WAY over where they *should* be wins wise. They are the most over-achieving team in baseball...and that kind of stuff tends to even out.

I've been waiting for the Twins to come back to earth the last 3 years. Hasn't happened. The "Twins will stop over-achieving" thought is nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

inta
05-18-2004, 01:16 AM
^ so true ^

maybe it's just time to fess up that there's something good in the twins franchise.... and something rotten in ours.

i'll have what they're having, thank you.

epgalsoxfan
05-18-2004, 02:05 AM
in my opinion its still May. Yeah it stinks that we arent winning right now but i refuse to think its over. So much can happen tomorrow, next week, or next month that i have to stay hopeful. I mean I know that this is hard to even dream about but who knows we might go to the twinkies crappy astroturf park and sweep. I mean it is possible. But there is one thing i have to be down about. Rowand. Hes 95% a guaranteed out at the plate and thats just one of the things that is wrong right now. So many i'm not even going to mention them. Sunday was a great win, so why not on the next day play the same lineup.

SpartanSoxFan
05-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Excuse me, I'm sorry I didn't realize that this is July 31st, 1997, and we are 3 1/2 games back of the Cleveland Jndjans. By all means, trade the whole damn team!!!! The sky is falling!!!!!!!

Everybody needs to take a deep breath and relax. THIS IS MAY, PEOPLE, NOT SEPTEMBER. Give this team a chance. Aside from a starting pitcher who was recently called up from AA, we have a solid pitching staff. The bats will heat up along with the Chicago weather come Memorial day, and by the Cubs series at the end of June, we will all see who the is the REAL team of this town. :gulp:

SoxxoS
05-18-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
I've been waiting for the Twins to come back to earth the last 3 years. Hasn't happened. The "Twins will stop over-achieving" thought is nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tell you one thing, for such a "great" team, here are their win totals:

2003- 90
2002-94
2001-85

What is that, an average of 89.5 wins a year? It's not that the Twins are that great, they have just been better than us.

StockdaleForVeep
05-18-2004, 02:39 AM
I throw in the towel when its mathmatically impossible for the sox to win, Although at times it may be improbable, not impossible.

Same with the hawks, when they were in the playoffs, i told everyone "I keep the faith untill i hear "1 min remaining in the period" and theyre down by 2 or more goals"...well they were...and i decimated my room in a rage.

Bisco Stu
05-18-2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
I throw in the towel when its mathmatically impossible for the sox to win

co-signed

JohnBasedowYoda
05-18-2004, 03:26 AM
We're all out of towels, and i'm too old to be diving into lockers

LASOXFAN
05-18-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by SpartanSoxFan
Excuse me, I'm sorry I didn't realize that this is July 31st, 1997, and we are 3 1/2 games back of the Cleveland Jndjans. By all means, trade the whole damn team!!!! The sky is falling!!!!!!!

Everybody needs to take a deep breath and relax. THIS IS MAY, PEOPLE, NOT SEPTEMBER. Give this team a chance. Aside from a starting pitcher who was recently called up from AA, we have a solid pitching staff. The bats will heat up along with the Chicago weather come Memorial day, and by the Cubs series at the end of June, we will all see who the is the REAL team of this town. :gulp:

While I could not care less about the Cubs and who's better, I do agree with you. It's May and injuries are just starting to play a factor (Glaus gone for two months). More will come. And then there will be trades and call ups that will change a team. It's mid May and the Sox are over .500 with the Twins in their sights but they're in a hitting funk. I have a lot more confidence in Ozzie's ability to get them out of it with small ball and inspiration than I would Ghandi. PK's got his head so far up his rectum that we won't see him click until July, if he's still with the team. But the others certainly have the potential to turn it around. I just wish they didn't rely on the dinger so much. It's crack.

SSN721
05-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
I throw in the towel when its mathmatically impossible for the sox to win, Although at times it may be improbable, not impossible.

Totally agree, the fact that people can be throwing in the towel so early is just so shocking to me, well not so much so after being on this site for awhile but for all the people who know baseball it is amazing how clairvoyant they are about the future of this season when baseball is so unbeleivably fluky and unpredictable. I agree that this team needs a major retooling, but I still think it is good enough to win now. 1-4 we have good starters, we have at the very least an average bullpen, I agree we could lose some of our higher salaried players, I think Lee and Konerko are tops, but otherwise I think we are just in a funk that we will break out of. I still think they have the tools necessary to win this division and KW will get any extra weapons we need to carry us into the postseason.

gosox41
05-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Okay folks...

With all the gloom and doom going on, it's time to see who is throwing in the towel.

So far, the only one who's thrown it in that I know of is HomeFish, who officially gave up on April 11.

Time to stand up and be counted doomsayers. If your eally think this team's not worth a crap, say so once and for all. I think we're fine, but that's just me.

I think if this team stands pat, then we're not going to win any division. Of course I'm saying this without the ability to predict any major injuries that might actually slow down the Twins.

But if KW goes out there and pulls off a good trade, I will change my opinion of this team.

So, to clarify, if this team stays the way it is...we're screwed.

Bob

gosox41
05-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by SpartanSoxFan

Did you post some version of this last year, or was it 2002, or was it in 2001???? I could have sworn I've seen numerous posts like this the last 3 years.

Bob

1951Campbell
05-18-2004, 08:21 AM
:chickenlittle

Dan H
05-18-2004, 10:12 AM
There is no need to throw in the towel, but the team has to do something. The #5 pitcher is not going to win you a pennant, but it is pathetic that slot can't pick up one win or even put in a quality start. Counting every fifth game as an almost automatic loss isn't good.

Secondly, the team slumps every May, and then doesn't have enough to recover. May is not too early to think about doing different things with club. From 2001-03, we were told not to worry and the Sox went nowhere. Blind faith won't solve any problems this team has.

Finally to all those who criticize skeptics by telling them the sky is not falling, I have one question to ask: When was the last time this team went to the World Series? Maybe this team should earn our confidence by winning something. That would be a great change.

bobj4400
05-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think if this team stands pat, then we're not going to win any division. Of course I'm saying this without the ability to predict any major injuries that might actually slow down the Twins.

But if KW goes out there and pulls off a good trade, I will change my opinion of this team.

So, to clarify, if this team stays the way it is...we're screwed.

Bob

I second this opinion...

LauraJ14
05-18-2004, 02:26 PM
All these posts sound like the ones from last season in May and June when the Sox weren't playing well. I didn't throw in the towel last year and I am not throwing in the towel this year. There is way too much baseball left to be played.

Dan H
05-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
All these posts sound like the ones from last season in May and June when the Sox weren't playing well. I didn't throw in the towel last year and I am not throwing in the towel this year. There is way too much baseball left to be played.

The team can bouce back, but as I recall, the White Sox didn't make it to the playoffs last year. If they would have won a few more in the early months, it would have been a far different story. They are not so good that they can blow off April and May.

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 02:48 PM
^ so true ^

maybe it's just time to fess up that there's something good in the twins franchise.... and something rotten in ours.

i'll have what they're having, thank you.

What do they have? Everyone can RUN THE BASES (we have konerkos and lees and franks) THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE CONTACT (we have konerko's and valentins and willies and franks) They have Gamers (Hunter, Mientkiewicz, Stewart)
we have Maggs and Uribe, and were about to "get rid of" one of these guys.

rahulsekhar
05-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
The team can bouce back, but as I recall, the White Sox didn't make it to the playoffs last year. If they would have won a few more in the early months, it would have been a far different story. They are not so good that they can blow off April and May.

True, but the late-season schedules are reversed this year. The Twins play the Yanks & Os while we play the Royals & Tigers (or their ilk). We also have the requisite 2 H2H series in the last month of the season.

bobj4400
05-18-2004, 02:50 PM
And the Sox have proven how adept they are at beating the Twins in games that matter over the last 3+ years, right?

skottyj242
05-18-2004, 02:54 PM
I will never give up on this team until it's impossible for them to come back. Hello people it's May 18. There's a TON of baseball left. All you guys make me sick.

MRKARNO
05-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Let me put it this way:

The Twins are playing their best baseball right now

The Sox are playing their wost baseball right now

If the Twins somehow are able to keep up this level of play all year then they certainly deserve to win this division, but they aren't good enough to do that. They just don't have the pitching. I said that about the Royals going into this year and I'll say it about the Twins. I think that Santana is a great pitcher. Bradke is a good pitcher. Lohse is a mediocre pitcher, but Silva and Greisinger are not good at all for a whole season. I don't think that their bullpen is this good either. Roa, Nathan, Mullholland and Fultz will probably all regress at least one run in terms of ERA. It will be interesting to see if Torii Hunter can keep up his offenive game and if Jones can keep up his power. I dont think they can. Their offense has been just enough to win it seems and they either have to start winning convincingly or they might regress a bit. I think there's a very good chance for us to tie this team within two weeks.

MRKARNO
05-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
True, but the late-season schedules are reversed this year. The Twins play the Yanks & Os while we play the Royals & Tigers (or their ilk). We also have the requisite 2 H2H series in the last month of the season.

Yup we definately have the schedule advantage in the stretch run this year. They actually have some games against cleveland at that time too and they are shaping up to be a good team. We do play at Texas and Anaheim earlier in the month, but I think the Rangers will turn out to be an 85ish win team when it's all said and done. The best part is that we get Minnesota at the cell for our last meeting of the year.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2004, 03:24 PM
The Twins are the defending division champs. This is the fourth season where the Twins are being viewed as the inferior team. But they are more than the sum of their parts. Thier parts work well together. The Sox parts do not work well together all the time, to a tune of an average of 83 wins per year, which simply is not enough to win the division.

Maybe its time that Sox fans look at the holes in our team of choice: like the lack of a complete starting rotation, like the gaping hole in CF, like the fact that most of the lineup is right-handed, slow-footed and prone to hitting into double plays, like the fact that they need a left-handed hitter who can hit #5 and can drive the ball to the right side of the field to allow Frank and Maggs to take an extra base -- and to give Frank more good pitches to hit. Frank's eye and predilection to walk is wasted by the fact that he has right-handed sloths batting behind him who are prone to popping out, flying out or grounding into a double play. If I'm an opposing pitcher, I'm going to walk Frank and negate any advantage he brings to the Sox.

I've not thrown in the towel at all, but I am honest about the Sox shortcomings and I want Kenny Williams to go out and re-load this team on the fly into a team that can beat the Twins and other teams on a regular basis. There is a good nucleus here and there aren't a massive number of holes to fill. But the holes are there and they had better be addressed if this team wants to play in October.

The_Floridian
05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Let me put it this way:

The Twins are playing their best baseball right now

The Sox are playing their wost baseball right now

If the Twins somehow are able to keep up this level of play all year then they certainly deserve to win this division, but they aren't good enough to do that. They just don't have the pitching. I said that about the Royals going into this year and I'll say it about the Twins. I think that Santana is a great pitcher. Bradke is a good pitcher. Lohse is a mediocre pitcher, but Silva and Greisinger are not good at all for a whole season. I don't think that their bullpen is this good either. Roa, Nathan, Mullholland and Fultz will probably all regress at least one run in terms of ERA. It will be interesting to see if Torii Hunter can keep up his offenive game and if Jones can keep up his power. I dont think they can. Their offense has been just enough to win it seems and they either have to start winning convincingly or they might regress a bit. I think there's a very good chance for us to tie this team within two weeks.

These are excellent points. I think it's also important to note that the Twins bullpen has already thrown over 30 more innings than the Sox bullpen. That hurt the Royals last year. It'll hurt the Twins this year.

I also agree with the dissenting point that the Twins parts work together as a whole. this is true. But unlike last year, I think the same will be true of the Sox.

nasox
05-18-2004, 04:25 PM
:threadsucks

I hate to do it because there has been some good baseball talk and intelligent discussion, but man, there is way too much negativity. Oh, sorry, I forgot, this is WSI. Negativity. HA

rahulsekhar
05-18-2004, 04:47 PM
One interesting point: Everyone talks about how the Twins had beenable to come from behind late and win close games. Back when the Sox were 11-1 (or something like that) in 1-run games, we were all worred about things turning around and that being behind late or giving up runs late would bite us. The same is true of the Twins.

Games like yesterday's against Toronto will start going against them. Combine that with their much tougher schedule from here on out and I think we're in decent shape.

Of course, we still need the O to pull it's collective head out of it's collective rectum. But I have some faith that that will happen given the historical performances of Maggs, Frank, CLee.

Gammons Peter
05-18-2004, 05:05 PM
I gave up on opening day when saw that the seats were still blue

gosox41
05-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14

And where did last year's May get us? Sure it's nice to be in contention only to choke it all away against the Twins. But why not take the initiative and come out swinging now. Set a tone.

Last year's run was fun in August, and most of September. But it sucked in April-May and aprt of June. Losing to Minnesota made it for a lung off season of 'what if's' from the first half. I'd like to avoid that now.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
05-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Okay folks...

I'm not sure which one is dumber.

1. Sox Fans giving up on this team in this division in mid-May.

2. Fishing for people silly enough to throw in the towel by starting a thread about it.

I would say it's a dead heat.

SSN721
05-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter
I gave up on opening day when saw that the seats were still blue

Yeah me too, that is the biggest drawback of this team. Biggest hole- We dont have green seats. :D:

ode to veeck
05-19-2004, 10:56 AM
what's a towel

I'm not sure which one is dumber.

1. Sox Fans giving up on this team in this division in mid-May.

2. Fishing for people silly enough to throw in the towel by starting a thread about it.

3. More stupid trade rumor threads. They're getting even dumber as the season progresses (Bonds!?!?!?!)

Even with 3, its still a dead heat. Honerable mention are Ozzie the tinkerer and return of corpseball.