PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney and Anderson on Fire in A W-S

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 06:13 PM
http://milb.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=minorbaseball&page=milb-car/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=15497

Both had 3 hits, Sweeney 3 for 5, Anderson 3 for 4. Anderson had a single, Double and Triple while Sweeney had the homer, so they combined for the cycle.

Sweeney, batting in the .220's not too long ago is now hitting .281 and Anderson is up to .345.

Anyone know (Randar or otherwise) if we can expect a promotion to AA or maybe even AAA for Anderson this year?

Randar68
05-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
http://milb.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=minorbaseball&page=milb-car/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=15497

Both had 3 hits, Sweeney 3 for 5, Anderson 3 for 4. Anderson had a single, Double and Triple while Sweeney had the homer, so they combined for the cycle.

Sweeney, batting in the .220's not too long ago is now hitting .281 and Anderson is up to .345.

Anyone know (Randar or otherwise) if we can expect a promotion to AA or maybe even AAA for Anderson this year?

Anderson, if he stays healthy, will definitely see AA time. I would almost assure you that he won't see time in AAA. Although I would prefer he get a whole season in High-A, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Sweeney get a late june or July call-up if he continues to make strides. Dave Wilder (IIRC) was quoted as saying age won't be used against him in his development.

Sweeney is a very fast learner, so he could end up on about the same development schedule as Anderson, although I suspect Anderson will move to AA relatively soon if he's 100% for more than another couple weeks.

SoxFan76
05-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Anderson, if he stays healthy, will definitely see AA time. I would almost assure you that he won't see time in AAA. Although I would prefer he get a whole season in High-A, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Sweeney get a late june or July call-up if he continues to make strides. Dave Wilder (IIRC) was quoted as saying age won't be used against him in his development.

Sweeney is a very fast learner, so he could end up on about the same development schedule as Anderson, although I suspect Anderson will move to AA relatively soon if he's 100% for more than another couple weeks.

Should we be more excited about these two, or Reed? I just got done reading your post about not getting too excited about prospects, because all we hear about are the positives. So I am curious, are these two the real deal? Better than Reed?

The Cheat
05-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Sweeney's hitting .348 in May -- his BB/K ratio is good in may too.

maurice
05-17-2004, 06:42 PM
They're both great prospects who are more toolsy than Reed . . . but Reed's in AAA with an extra year of pro service under his belt, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Scouting isn't science. Nothing is 100% certain, but so far so good.

Rex Hudler
05-17-2004, 07:02 PM

I see them using a similar timeline with Anderson that they used for Reed. I'd expect Anderson in Birmingham around mid-June. If he hits, I wouldn't mind seeing Sweeney by August, but I have no idea how they will handle him.

Daver
05-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Should we be more excited about these two, or Reed? I just got done reading your post about not getting too excited about prospects, because all we hear about are the positives. So I am curious, are these two the real deal? Better than Reed?

Sweeney was drafted out of HS in Iowa,as opposed to Andersen,who played three years of college ball in an extremely good conference.I would be surprised if Brian does not rise through the minor league system rather quickly,and opposed to Sweeney or Reed,he is a legitimate CFer.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76

Anderson and Sweeney have better 'star' potential, mainly because they both project to hit for plus power. Anderson will strike out tmore than the other 2 and Reed will walk more than the other two.

Sweeney projects as a more powerful John Olerud. Brian Anderson, IMO, has more power potential and really can be a 5-tool MLB player. He doesn't have Lofton/Willie speed, but he is PLENTY quick.

Reed is the immediate future. Anderson and sweeney are both looking at 2005 at the earliest regular duty IMO. I also doubt they'd try to be breaking both inito the majors at the same time, so at this poinit, I'd guess Anderson would be looked at to make the team about that time.

Again, snags in the road are unpredictable and future injuries could change the whole picture...

Like maurice said, "Scouting isn't science. Nothing is 100% certain, but so far so good."

Daver
05-17-2004, 08:08 PM
The Sox could prolly use Sweeney in the bullpen right now......

Randar68
05-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The Sox could prolly use Sweeney in the bullpen right now......

What do you mean? Wunsch was effective in the past, what's KW's problem? Kelly is the answer to our problems!

Chisoxfn
05-17-2004, 10:05 PM

If Sweeney gets hot, you could see the two of them promoted at basically the same time. Their were quite a few people in the organization that felt Sweeney could of started the season in Birmingham, they are that high on him.

Either way, Brice is going to be up in Winston Salem soon. The question is whether its because onf of Anderson/Sweeney was promoted to Bham, which could definately use some outfield pop or whether Nanita was finally demoted.