PDA

View Full Version : 2000 playoffs attendance?

longshot7
05-17-2004, 04:25 PM
There's a Cubs-fan anti-Sox radio DJ out here that I've been emailing and he says that the Sox couldn't sell out their home playoff games in 2000.

Is this true?

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 04:26 PM
No, total lie.

fledgedrallycap
05-17-2004, 04:27 PM
I don't have the stats, but that is obviously a complete joke.

rdivaldi
05-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Wow, what a bunch of BS. I tried and tried to get tickets to the first 2 home games. They were completely sold out within a few minutes of going on sale.

IlliniSox
05-17-2004, 04:31 PM
I know I had my back to the wall of the Upper deck down the left field line for both games. Yes, total BS. This fellow appears to have his head...

bobj4400
05-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Favorite sign seen in the Bullpen Sports bar before game 1 that year:

Today's Attendance:

Comiskey Park 45,000
Wrigley Field Zero

DaveIsHere
05-17-2004, 04:40 PM
I went through a broker for game 1 tix that year, not bad got 4 tix for $200 for left field box, had a great time, can't wait to do it again this year.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
I know I had my back to the wall of the Upper deck down the left field line for both games. Yes, total BS. This fellow appears to have his head...

Ahh yes, the all-too-common diagnosis of rectal-cranial inversion.

The games were sellouts despite the fact that they were all day games.

fledgedrallycap
05-17-2004, 04:47 PM
tried like hell in 2000, was fortunate to attend in '93.

doublem23
05-17-2004, 05:05 PM
45,290 for Game 1 and 45,383 for Game 2.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2000_ALDS2.shtml

hold2dibber
05-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
There's a Cubs-fan anti-Sox radio DJ out here that I've been emailing and he says that the Sox couldn't sell out their home playoff games in 2000.

Is this true?

Here's a link showing that the 2 games that were played in Chicago (games 1 and 2) had attendance of 45,290 and 45,383 respectively: link. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2000_ALDS2.shtml)

Here's a link showing that until 2001, the capacity of Comiskey Park II was 44,321: link. (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/comis2.htm)

You can inform the dim-witted DJ that since 45,290 and 45,383 are both BIGGER than 44,321, those games were indeed sell-outs.

I remember reading an article in Crain's before the playoff tickets went on sale in which some moron ticket broker said he didn't think the games would sell out. I remember hoping the jackass got shut out of tickets when they completely sold out all three games immediately on the first day tickets went on sale.

jabrch
05-17-2004, 05:16 PM
as per others - complete and utter crap. Games were all sold out - not a ticket to be had.

sas1974
05-17-2004, 05:16 PM
I camped out over night and was the first person at one of the windows in 2000. It was packed and it was most definitely a sell out.

Moses_Scurry
05-17-2004, 05:28 PM
The games were definitely all sold out. However, I was at one of the games, and there were definitely many empty seats. It was probably due to the game being scheduled at noon during the week, which was not scheduled when the tickets first went on sale. I had an extra ticket because one of my friends couldn't get off work, and I couldn't give the ticket away outside the park. The empty seats due to no-shows who bought tickets probably gave the perception that the games weren't sold out, even when they were.

iwannago
05-17-2004, 05:31 PM

Is this true?

Baltimore could not sell out playoff games. I also believe the same to be true for Pittsburg and Atlanta.

THE_HOOTER
05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
The games were definitely all sold out. However, I was at one of the games, and there were definitely many empty seats. It was probably due to the game being scheduled at noon during the week, which was not scheduled when the tickets first went on sale. I had an extra ticket because one of my friends couldn't get off work, and I couldn't give the ticket away outside the park. The empty seats due to no-shows who bought tickets probably gave the perception that the games weren't sold out, even when they were.

The empty seats were people hanging out in the bullpen bar and in the Centerfield Concourse area.

jackbrohamer
05-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
The empty seats were people hanging out in the bullpen bar and in the Centerfield Concourse area.

The games were before the prohibition on UD ticketholders going to the LD, and there were tons of people walking on the OF concourse during both games.

maurice
05-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Not only did the 2000 playoffs sell out, the Sox sold out their non-existent 2003 playoff games in about 30 minutes. There were numerous threads on this topic at the time, so do a search if you need some additional info.

GoSox2K3
05-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Baltimore could not sell out playoff games. I also believe the same to be true for Pittsburg and Atlanta.

Cincinnati too.

Needless to say this Cub fan claim is a total lie. Also, even though the Sox failed to make the playoffs last year, I believe tickets for the potential 2003 Sox Division Series games sold out in about 30 minutes.

I'm not surprised that a Cub fan is saying this. They and the meida have themselves and the general public convinced that the Sox only draw a couple of thousand of people per game. The Sox must be the only public attraction of any type in any city that draws 2 million customers per year and gets tagged with the idea that "no one goes to any games".

Foulke You
05-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I was holding up the rafters for both of those playoff games. I got up at 5:30AM to go to the ballpark to get tickets that day and I ended up with Row 27 (of 29) of the UD for Game 1 and Row 28 (of 29) of the UD for Game 2. That was best available. There wasn't a seat to be had. If I remember correctly, both games sold out within 1 hour that day AND we also sold out ALCS tickets that year even though we all had to return them. I remember I had row 9 in the outfield for that would-be series which would have been against the Yanks if we got out of round 1. Alas, what could have been. :(:

TommyJohn
05-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Favorite sign seen in the Bullpen Sports bar before game 1 that year:

Today's Attendance:

Comiskey Park 45,000
Wrigley Field Zero

Funny. There was also a sign saying "what was the attendance
at Wrigley today?" a sign that caused the Grobber no end of
trauma. He still talks about it, so obviously the sign had a deep,
scarring effect on him.

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Who is this Moron DJ? How about a Name and the station call letters he works for ..........

batmanZoSo
05-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry

I don't remember seeing any empty seats whatsoever. On games like that Comiskey is a nightmare (but fun)....Not only is the park full, but you have probably 5,000 people standing on the concourse in the outfield mostly, and in the standing room only chains.

I wish I would've been listening to that guy.

longshot7
05-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Who is this Moron DJ? How about a Name and the station call letters he works for ..........

His name is Money - he's the sports guy on KROQ's Kevin & Bean morning show.

C-Dawg
05-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
I'm not surprised that a Cub fan is saying this. They and the meida have themselves and the general public convinced that the Sox only draw a couple of thousand of people per game. The Sox must be the only public attraction of any type in any city that draws 2 million customers per year and gets tagged with the idea that "no one goes to any games".

Yes, that's standard "anti-Sox propaganda" that fans of the Cubs use when they are trying to put us down.

:angry:

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 09:32 PM

So this Bozo is on a major morning show in LosAngeles.........
2000 miles away from Chicago, talking junk about the White Sox?
Man, Give the number out, I'll call that clown out quick .........
Longshot, keep an eye/ear out and tell us how many cub fans you meet in the future who spew this nonsense out ...........

Chisox_cali
05-18-2004, 09:42 PM

The second I saw the first part of this post, I knew it was him. While he may have said that, I still think he's funny on the show :D:

ihatethecubs
05-19-2004, 03:55 AM
thats ridiculous. they sold out in twenty minutes.

Voice of Reason
05-19-2004, 03:59 AM
The games sold out and I sold extra tickets to one of them outside the stadium beforehand.

TDog
05-19-2004, 04:14 AM
I got to the park from Wisconsin hours before the tickets went on sale. I headed home after I scored tickets. In the easy Saturday morning traffic, I was still on the Ryan when the radio station I was listening to announced the games were sold out. I worried about getting the time off later.

Sometimes people prefer to believe the lies.

longshot7
05-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Go get 'em Hangar!!

it's
money@kroq.com

Hangar18
05-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Go get 'em Hangar!!

it's
money@kroq.com

I sent him an email this morning, basically DOUBLE BARRELED
the guy, and called him out for believing the hype. Even threw
in a couple Links to stories/Stats/Facts to prove my point. Interesting if he emails me back, but he wont.

At least we know, somewhere 2000 miles to the west, a cub fan was just bombarded with the Truth

MRKARNO
05-19-2004, 05:08 PM
I wonder what the 2004 Playoff attendence will be at the Cell with the new capacity. :)

longshot7
05-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I sent him an email this morning, basically DOUBLE BARRELED
the guy, and called him out for believing the hype. Even threw
in a couple Links to stories/Stats/Facts to prove my point. Interesting if he emails me back, but he wont.

At least we know, somewhere 2000 miles to the west, a cub fan was just bombarded with the Truth

He probably won't read it anyway. Cub fans love to ignore the truth - they suck.

Foulke You
05-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I wonder what the 2004 Playoff attendence will be at the Cell with the new capacity. :)

I like the way you think!! :D:

Chisox_cali
05-19-2004, 08:43 PM
He probably won't read it anyway. Cub fans love to ignore the truth - they suck.

I've e-mailed the guys on that show before, for different reasons, they usually will respond to you