PDA

View Full Version : What the Sox learned from the Twins series

Irishsox1
05-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Here's what was learned from the Sox/Twins series.

1. The Twins can steal bases on the Sox at anytime.
2. If you hold the Sox to under 3 runs, bring out Joe Nathan and close the game out. If not, then you're in a shootout and the advantage goes to the Sox.
3. Most of the Twins pitchers have studied Joe Mays and know how to pitch to the Sox hitters.
3. Sox will make an 1 error every game. Take advantage of that opportunity.
4. Any ball hit in the outfield will be caught by Jones, Hunter or Stewart, unless its way over the fence.
5. The Twins have the confidence that they can and will beat the Sox...everygame.

On the whole, this is the best Twins team I have seen in the last 3 years and the Sox will not take the division. I know that the Twins have lost a lot of good players, Milton, Pierzinski, Hawkins, Reed, Lawton, Gordado, Kielty, etc. but they have added many talented players. Unless the Sox stop playing so tight against the Twins or find out how the Yankees beat them every year, then season is over.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Here's what was learned from the Sox/Twins series.

1. The Twins can steal bases on the Sox at anytime.
2. If you hold the Sox to under 3 runs, bring out Joe Nathan and close the game out. If not, then you're in a shootout and the advantage goes to the Sox.
3. Most of the Twins pitchers have studied Joe Mays and know how to pitch to the Sox hitters.
3. Sox will make an 1 error every game. Take advantage of that opportunity.
4. Any ball hit in the outfield will be caught by Jones, Hunter or Stewart, unless its way over the fence.
5. The Twins have the confidence that they can and will beat the Sox...everygame.

On the whole, this is the best Twins team I have seen in the last 3 years and the Sox will not take the division. I know that the Twins have lost a lot of good players, Milton, Pierzinski, Hawkins, Reed, Lawton, Gordado, Kielty, etc. but they have added many talented players. Unless the Sox stop playing so tight against the Twins or find out how the Yankees beat them every year, then season is over.

Is it September already?

:chunks :threadsucks

DaveIsHere
That is the way to stay positive after and entire 3 GAMES against the twins..........

pearso66
That sounds more like what the Twins learned from the Sox. And any team can steal off of us if our pitchers don't hold them on. Did you see what Baltimore did to us?

sas1974
05-17-2004, 01:40 PM
It's too bad we don't have 16 MORE GAMES against the Twins... Oh wait...We DO!

SEALgep
05-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Is the season over already?

iwannago
05-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Didn't the Sox win 10 of the first 14 games against the Twins last year? I didn't see the Twin fans panick.

BigFrankFan
05-17-2004, 01:50 PM
I agree it's the best Twins team in the past 3 years. If Mauer comes back it will only be better. Stewart-Hunter-Jones are much better right now than Lee-Rowand-Maggs. But to win a division you need good starting pitching & the SOX have the edge over every one else.

It's not dominant SP, just better than the rest.
Buehrle, E-LO, Garland, Schow, & Diaz right now
are much better than any rotation in the ALC.

As you say, if you hold the SOX to 3 or less you can beat them.
I think that goes true not just for the Twins but any > .500 team.
But it's usually not an easy thing to do. We have a struggling Lee, Koney, & Crede on the team (BA <= 250) & yet we are still only 2 GB. That's a testament that the offense of this team is strong.
Valentin has been back a few games & already is picking up where he left off. This team is still on pace to out homer every other team in MLB & when you combine that with the best rotation in the ALC it should be enough to win the division.

As Buehrle said, the SOX fin 3-4 vs the Yanks. Minn still has yet to play them. An 0-7 rec vs a hot NYY team is not out of the question. That's why those 3 wins might be a difference maker & sitting 2 gb is not all that bad.

rahulsekhar
05-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Let's not forget, the Twins are something like 14-7 v. ALC, Sox are 6-4. That means that while they're off playing the Yanks & Os, we'll be playing the Tribe, Tigers, Royals. Now if we chomp the ol' churro against them like last year, it's over. But IMO this team will be better than previous ones against that typeof competition. Which means being within a game or 2 of 1st with those games still to be played is not a bad position.

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
Stewart-Hunter-Jones are much better right now than Lee-Rowand-Maggs.

It's not dominant SP, just better than the rest.
Buehrle, E-LO, Garland, Schow, & Diaz right now
are much better than any rotation in the ALC.

But what about Lee-Harris-Ordonez? That changes it a lot for the better.

But actually Buehrle has been pretty dominant lately. No ER last two starts and he's becoming a lot more of a strikeout pitcher.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
But what about Lee-Harris-Ordonez? That changes it a lot for the better.

But actually Buehrle has been pretty dominant lately. No ER last two starts and he's becoming a lot more of a strikeout pitcher.

Agree about the K's, but the biggest difference between May and April has been the BB's. He was wild (for Mark, anyways) the first month and still gave up his usual # of hits.

If Mark's WHIP is 1.3 or lower, he'll be good. If it's 1.15 or lower, he will be in the top 10 or 15 starters in the AL.

bigdommer
05-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Let's get ready for the offseason.

bobj4400
05-17-2004, 02:11 PM
What I am sick of is the "We have more talent then them" argument. They have kicked our asses up and down the field everytime it mattered for the last 3+ years. To me, that shows they are more talented than us. Maybe not on a player to player basis, but as a whole. They play better defense, hit in clutch situations better, and pitch about the same as us. That to me makes them better than us. Until we starting putting it to them on a regular basis, I dont want to hear the "We are better than them" argument anymore...

rahulsekhar
05-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
What I am sick of is the "We have more talent then them" argument. They have kicked our asses up and down the field everytime it mattered for the last 3+ years. To me, that shows they are more talented than us. Maybe not on a player to player basis, but as a whole. They play better defense, hit in clutch situations better, and pitch about the same as us. That to me makes them better than us. Until we starting putting it to them on a regular basis, I dont want to hear the "We are better than them" argument anymore...

2 things:

1) Weve actually played them well the past few years (or at elast last year, I can't remember our H2H in 2002)

2) While they beat us silly at the end of the season, the only reason that even mattered was because we lost earlier to the Tigers, etc.

IMO, the 2 teams are fairly evenly matched. We're more "talented" (for whatever that's worth), but they play smarter ball and get more out of their talent than we do. I'd predict that again the teams will play about .500 ball H2H.

SEALgep
05-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
What I am sick of is the "We have more talent then them" argument. They have kicked our asses up and down the field everytime it mattered for the last 3+ years. To me, that shows they are more talented than us. Maybe not on a player to player basis, but as a whole. They play better defense, hit in clutch situations better, and pitch about the same as us. That to me makes them better than us. Until we starting putting it to them on a regular basis, I dont want to hear the "We are better than them" argument anymore... Dougy is the one making those references, and I'm sure he's doing that more for a psychological advantage more than anything.

jackbrohamer
05-17-2004, 02:34 PM
I hope Ozzie learned from this series that he should start Uribe. Every game. Until he gets cold, at least.

bobj4400
05-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Dougy is the one making those references, and I'm sure he's doing that more for a psychological advantage more than anything.

Hawk was talking about it during one of the telecasts over the weekend. I was at the game Friday, so it had to be Saturday or Sunday. Cant remember. But he was saying how there is more talent on the White Sox but they never seem to play well against the Twins.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2004, 03:49 PM
For what it's worth The Sporting News is saying that Joe "Cy" Mays will be back pitching for the Twins in the second half of the season.

Lip