PDA

View Full Version : LTP or Konerko right now

duke of dorwood
05-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Which one is a better fit on THIS roster

SEALgep
05-17-2004, 01:19 PM
I would rather Gload take over for PK if we could someone trade him, but I don't see how Borchard would be better for us at this point than PK.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2004, 01:22 PM
If forced to choose between the two, I pick LTP.

If they can't go out and get a legitimate veteran CF via trade, then they should consider promoting Reed or Borchard to play CF. Frank can platoon with Gload (or even Valentin) at 1B and DH. It would also improve the defense in CF, balance the lineup with more left-handers and add more speed.

Konerko, despite his 5 RBI game last week, is representative of a MAJOR flaw in the Sox offense.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Borchard has to hit over .260 in AAA before you can even think about bringing him up.

The correct answer is Reed, anyway... :D:

iwannago
05-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Trade both Borchard and Konerko, have C Lee play first, Reed in center and find us a LF.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Trade both Borchard and Konerko, have C Lee play first, Reed in center and find us a LF.

Reed in left and Steve Finley or Juan Pierre in CF.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Reed in left and Steve Finley or Juan Pierre in CF.

Pierre battling leadoff in CF, Reed #2 in LF...

DROOOOOOOL!

Could you imagine having Pierre, Harris and Reed in the same lineup? Reed has nowhere near the speed of the other 2, but my god, that turns this into an entirely different team...

Pure fantasy, I know, but anyways...

MRKARNO
05-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Pierre battling leadoff in CF, Reed #2 in LF...

DROOOOOOOL!

Could you imagine having Pierre, Harris and Reed in the same lineup? Reed has nowhere near the speed of the other 2, but my god, that turns this into an entirely different team...

Pure fantasy, I know, but anyways...

Well it would certainly fit Ozzie's philosophy to say the least.

But what positions can Reed play?

I woud guess all three outfield spots, but can he play first or third? Even playing Harris, Reed and Valentin greatly enhances the balance of this lineup.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well it would certainly fit Ozzie's philosophy to say the least.

But what positions can Reed play?

I woud guess all three outfield spots, but can he play first or third? Even playing Harris, Reed and Valentin greatly enhances the balance of this lineup.

Reed could play LF, CF or 1st ideally. He's not as tall as you'd like from your 1B and he doesn't have the pure arm strength for RF ideally, although he could play there more than adequately if it's a necessity.

Already, next year, you're likely looking at Uribe at SS and Harris at 2B every day. What you do in the OF and 1B really is where the make-up of this team has the potential to shift dramatically. What they do with Maggs and Pauly is the biggest part of that, but I would assume Reed is your CF'er for a year or 2 until Anderson is ready.

Kadafi311
05-17-2004, 02:12 PM
What's with all the Paulie hating on this board? Talk of trading him or bringing up an unproven rookie is grotesquely premature 36 games into the season.

Konerko will be fine, and drawing any conclusions prior to the All-Star break is unfair. <3 your 1st baseman, he isn't going anywhere.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
What's with all the Paulie hating on this board? Talk of trading him or bringing up an unproven rookie is grotesquely premature 36 games into the season.

Konerko will be fine, and drawing any conclusions prior to the All-Star break is unfair. <3 your 1st baseman, he isn't going anywhere.

What about drawing conclusions from the 2002 all-star break?

Kadafi311
05-17-2004, 02:24 PM
What about drawing conclusions from the 2002 all-star break?

Well... at least they waited until the break :cool:

SEALgep
05-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311

Konerko will be fine, and drawing any conclusions prior to the All-Star break is unfair. <3 your 1st baseman, he isn't going anywhere. PK is a pretty good first baseman, and will hit probably hit decently. The point for wanting to trade him stems more than liking or disliking him. He is paid a lot of money for his production. Also, he is a slow power hitter. We have plenty of those, whereas a more athletic, faster, base hitting, cheaper first baseman would probably be more ideal for our club.

maurice
05-17-2004, 02:54 PM
The problems with PK are (1) he was overpaid when he was good, and (2) he hasn't been consistently good for a long time.

Given JR's self-imposed budget restrictions, the mere presence of PK, BK, and JV on the roster (1) prevents KW from significantly improving the team, and (2) encourages OG to play them more than they deserve.

It also makes a lot more sense to rip on an overpaid stiff than to rip on (1) a productive and reasonably priced Frank Thomas, or (2) anybody on the team making less than $1 million / year (yes, that even includes Aaron Rowand). :D:

jeremyb1
05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah if Konerko is performing better at the major league level than Borchard is at the AAA level in a bandbox, Borchard is certainly more valuable to our club.

Dub25
05-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Which one is a better fit on THIS roster

I voted for Paulie but I rather have the three ladies in the picture on the roster.

Who would win in a race. Paulie or one of the ladies?

doublem23
05-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I would rather Gload take over for PK if we could someone trade him, but I don't see how Borchard would be better for us at this point than PK.

$$$