PDA

View Full Version : Gee....look what happens when Uribe plays

jlh0023
05-17-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm not so nieve to think Uribe will be this good all season, but hes hot, and he gets on base.....and when guys start getting on base, more guys get on base....its all psychological.
Now Willie's arm in Center field is not my first choice, but if it means playing Uribe vs. Rowand, its worth the few runs that we will lose each month.

Baby Fisk
05-17-2004, 11:33 AM
A very good point, jlh0023. Uribe is a sparkplug in the dugout as well. Always seems to be yappin or laughin. Let the man play!

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jlh0023
I'm not so nieve to think Uribe will be this good all season, but hes hot, and he gets on base.....and when guys start getting on base, more guys get on base....its all psychological.
Now Willie's arm in Center field is not my first choice, but if it means playing Uribe vs. Rowand, its worth the few runs that we will lose each month.

Pretty much.

mantis1212
05-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by jlh0023

As Yogi said, 90% of the game is half-mental

CHISOXFAN13
05-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
A very good point, jlh0023. Uribe is a sparkplug in the dugout as well. Always seems to be yappin or laughin. Let the man play!

It's amazing to see how much fun the entire team has when he's in the lineup. Ozzie and Cora couldn't help but laugh during Uribe's final AB. He really takes some funky swings, but the man gets the job done!

White_Sock
05-17-2004, 12:18 PM
I'd like to see what the CO fans are saying on their message boards about Juan Uribe.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 12:30 PM
:KW

"He's a grinder, Ozzie."

:ozzie

"I make the ****ing lineups!"

snake
05-17-2004, 12:58 PM
I don't see why putting Uribe in the lineup means taking out Willie or moving him to CF. Why do we need Valentin with his .919 fielding percentage and 22 Ks in the lineup? He's hitting better than he usually does, but Willie has a better average and more speed. With Uribe at short and Willie at second, we have better fielding and better hitting.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by snake
I don't see why putting Uribe in the lineup means taking out Willie or moving him to CF. Why do we need Valentin with his .919 fielding percentage and 22 Ks in the lineup? He's hitting better than he usually does, but Willie has a better average and more speed. With Uribe at short and Willie at second, we have better fielding and better hitting.

I agree, but Valentin is:

1)Making 5 million dollars
2)Is a leader
3)Shown he is a better fielder than this year
4)Is making 5 million dollars

npdempse
05-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

3)Shown he is a better fielder than this year

When did he show this? I keep seeing him boot balls or not get the jump on liners that Uribe would be catching.

Make him our $5mil. lefty-off-the-bench.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
When did he show this? I keep seeing him boot balls or not get the jump on liners that Uribe would be catching.

Make him our $5mil. lefty-off-the-bench.

Does someone have that baseball prospectus link that shows how good Valentin was last year???...It shows that he was either: The best fielder in the A.L...or the most underrated...I forgot.

White_Sock
05-17-2004, 01:31 PM

Seriously, we're talking about Pele Valentine here. This guy boots balls like a pro.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Don't just look at errors as a defensive statistic.

npdempse
05-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Don't just look at errors as a defensive statistic.

OK, you've got me. Looking at his range ratings, he looks like a badass. I don't know if this is an artifact of STATS zone calculations, or if it's the real deal. OTOH, Uribe is as good if not better.

So how do we explain why he LOOKS so brutal out there? You never see him jump for a liner, he boots the ball once every few games...

DrummerGeorgefan
05-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by White_Sock
Seriously, we're talking about Pele Valentine here. This guy boots balls like a pro.

Muffed two balls yesterday. And the best play was made by Uribe cutting off Valentin on a ball hit up the middle because IMO he knew in his head that Valentin would boot the ball

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
OK, you've got me. Looking at his range ratings, he looks like a badass. I don't know if this is an artifact of STATS zone calculations, or if it's the real deal. OTOH, Uribe is as good if not better.

So how do we explain why he LOOKS so brutal out there? You never see him jump for a liner, he boots the ball once every few games...

No doubt about it...

I believe we have kind of a self fufilling prophecy with Valentin-We knew he was a "bad" fielder coming in. So, we tend to overlook a lot of the good he does in the field b/c he makes errors, which backs up what the "stereotype" of him is.

This is the same reason the morons at ESPN say the defense up the middle is not very good, b/c of the past of Jose Valentin and the negative stigma attached to him.

maurice
05-17-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm sure Valentin is a fun guy to hang out with, and his D was great last season after the Sox acquired Robbie Alomar. OTOH, his D has been really, really bad this season and (given his age and injury history) may not improve much. Uribe's defense is good all the time, and he'll likely be the starting SS in 2005 and for years to come. I see no persuasive reason to wait that long.

Valentin's contract is a reason to trade him, not to play him. If we can find a team willing to offer even a backup SS in return, KW should pull the trigger . . . and throw in Konerko and Koch.

Incidentally, how sad is it that nobody will give you a backup SS for three of your highest paid veterans?

OEO Magglio
05-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Jose is the only power hitting left handed bat the sox have, the lineup ozzie put out on the field yesterday was great, keep willie and uribe at the top and put jose in the middle of the lineup where he can drive some runs in, I really hope ozzie puts the same lineup in there tonight(I've posted that same sentence like three times already). :D:

joecrede
05-17-2004, 03:56 PM
With a lefty going for the Indians tonight Rowand should be in center and Harris should be on the bench.

I think there's a pretty good analysis of the Sox situation under "Time to panic" over at 35th Street Mess.

http://35thstreetmess.blogspot.com/

doublem23
05-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by White_Sock
I'd like to see what the CO fans are saying on their message boards about Juan Uribe.

Probably nothing. At least they got sweet, sweet Aaron Miles!

jlh0023
05-17-2004, 04:13 PM

I agree, but there are some things to consider...
1. No matter how much all of us (including me) hate seeing Valentin in the lineup, there is no denying he has been a good clutch hitter for us (one of few)

2. He is the only good power hitter in our lineup from the left side.

3. You don't bench someone making 5 mil

BUT.... i also think that he could be extremely useful as a pinch hitter
1. He delivers when we need it.

2. In late innings when the other team wants to just bring in a righty to get through the meat of our lineup, we can throw valentin at them for Lee, Konerko, or Crede

3. He can pinch run (hes no Willie, but compared to a konerko or Thomas he's got some legs)