PDA

View Full Version : If we're considering a rent a player...

IlliniSox
05-17-2004, 11:56 AM
With all the talk around here about Beltran, I haven't heard Steve Finley's name thrown around yet. He's in the middle of a career year, a Saluki, World Series champion, A LEFTY, and a FA next year. He makes 6.75 M, our cut wouldn't be that huge. And equally important is the fact we wouldn't be sending prospects to a division rival.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
With all the talk around here about Beltran, I haven't heard Steve Finley's name thrown around yet. He's in the middle of a career year, a Saluki, World Series champion, A LEFTY, and a FA next year. He makes 6.75 M, our cut wouldn't be that huge. And equally important is the fact we wouldn't be sending prospects to a division rival.

Well, if it keeps Reed in AAA for the whole year and doesn't cost us much, I'm all for it! Is this the last year of his contract? Offer Arbitration and possibly get draft picks too?

Heck, maybe they'd take Rowand... :D:

jabrch
05-17-2004, 12:01 PM

How's his D? I don't know enough about him.

IlliniSox
05-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
How's his D? I don't know enough about him.

I'd consider him a shade above average in center, but I'm not a national league guy. His biggest impact would be power from his left handed bat.

Etownsox13
05-17-2004, 12:07 PM
No way, Finley's on his last legs, and the only team that he has

hit against this year is the Flubs.

fledgedrallycap
05-17-2004, 12:10 PM

I brought him up a couple weeks ago in a thread related to Centerfield options. I agree with him, the only risk is his age and he may be a 10-5; thus his can veto/approve a trade.

For the sake of argument, let's say Rowand continues to struggle and the Sox remain hesitant to give Timo Perez the jig; what would you like to see the White Sox do come July?
If Reed and/or Borchard are healthy and playing well, do you go that route and roll the dice.

OR

Do you test the market and see if you can land a rent-a-player or negotiate a big contract player from another team. I have been looking online and noticed Steve Finley from ARZ is on the last year of his deal. He is a pretty steady player, but getting up there in age. Another player worth mentioning is Grissom on SF.

Knowing how the Sox do business and who might fit the mold well, my money is on Steve Finley.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32769&highlight=Centerfield+Options

IlliniSox
05-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Etownsox13
No way, Finley's on his last legs, and the only team that he has

hit against this year is the Flubs.

Cubs or not, he's leading the majors in homers, amigo.

jlh0023
05-17-2004, 12:26 PM
ONE PROBLEM....you don't rent players when they're at their best....they cost too much, and it's all downhill. You rent consistently solid players, or players with growth potential

Hangar18
05-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Why doesnt this Organization get a CLUE. Renting a Player
HASNT WORKED FOR US. WHY NOT JUST SPEND THE $$$$$
and Filling a NEED when the NEED ARISES, not WHEN ITS TOO LATE AND EVERYONE ELSE IS ALSO TRYING TO FILL NEEDS, THEREFORE COSTING US EVEN MORE

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2004, 01:10 PM
I agree with Hangar's overall assessment, but given the Sox current predicament, I think Finley would be an attractive target. He can play CF and he is a lefty. He already has 12 homers this year! While this is an aberration, he might be able to hit #5 behind Frank. As a pull hitter, he would pull the ball to the right side of the field, increasing the possibility of Maggs or Frank taking an extra base on a hit. He has post-season World Series experience. He's better in the field than Crash or Carl Everett. He also hits a good number of extra-base hits, and while he is streaky, he does have decent speed.

Who would Arizona want? Assuming they would want only prospects in return, here's a possible lineup.

Harris
Uribe
Maggs
Frank
Finley
Lee
Konerko
Crede
Olivo

Frank plays 1B on the road. Konerko sits against righties. Valentin DH's against righties on the road and becomes the super-utility-man at 2B, SS and 3B as needed. There are enough at-bats for everyone. Konerko and/or Lee could be trade bait for pitching help. Reed could be promoted to play left. With such a deal, this team goes deep in the playoffs.

Get on the phone, Kenny.

fquaye149
05-17-2004, 01:49 PM
I'd consider him a shade above average in center, but I'm not a national league guy. His biggest impact would be power from his left handed bat. '

steve finley's a gold glove center fielder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IlliniSox
05-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
'

steve finley's a gold glove center fielder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. I knew he'd won one, I wasn't aware it was so recent.

1995: National League Gold Glove at OF
1996: National League Gold Glove at OF
1999: National League Gold Glove at OF
2000: National League Gold Glove at OF

I dare someone to explain to me how that addition wouldn't help close the defensive gap with Minnesota.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2004, 04:47 PM
The more I learn about Steve Finley, the more I like the idea of trying to acquire him.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
The more I learn about Steve Finley, the more I like the idea of trying to acquire him.

Yep, and the size of the OF in the Cell is much smaller than the Bob...

Short of Juan Pierre, this is probably the best short-term measure in CF.

hold2dibber
05-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I With such a deal, this team goes deep in the playoffs.

Get on the phone, Kenny.

I LOVE the idea of trying to get Finley (although I'm guessing that there will be a bunch of teams with the same idea), but I still think they need more pitching if they want any chance to go deep into the playoffs.

rahulsekhar
05-17-2004, 05:22 PM
The question is: Given that he's realtively decently salaried (i.e. mid-range), and provides solid to very good all-around play, it's possible that Finley's price will be high because demand will be high. Form that perspective, it might actually be easier to get someone with a higher cost (if we're willing to take on salary) because there wil be fewer bidders.

Maybe something like LTP for him? In the thin 'Zona air, Joe could do some damage if/when he ever makes contact.

fquaye149
05-17-2004, 05:23 PM
the thing about finley is that he's a great center fielder and a solid hitter. . ..but he's old as hell (39) and i would guess that it woudl be harder for him to go deep in the season than another player who is 5-10 years younger

Randar68
05-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I LOVE the idea of trying to get Finley (although I'm guessing that there will be a bunch of teams with the same idea), but I still think they need more pitching if they want any chance to go deep into the playoffs.

Finley and RJ in a package deal? LOL!

Looks like the M's are going to wait until the deadline to deal Garcia unless someone really blows their socks off.

IlliniSox
05-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I am confident that we have better prospects to offer. An A-list guy definitely and maybe a couple C-List cats.

Minnesota's players complained last year when the Sox made moves (they're team won't take on any more payroll)

NY & BoSox have expensive CF/OF's already.

Oakland's pitching is stuggling, this has happened before though and they usually will make a run at somebody.

SD, Phils, FL, HOU and LA have pretty capable outfields.

I don't think Texas will hang around until September.

One team's going to get Beltran, one team will go after Finley (SOX and Oakland, just to speculate). It doesn't look like a sellers market to me.

mikef1331
05-17-2004, 05:38 PM

I agree, the more I think about this idea the more I like it. Finley provides a lefty bat which the Sox really need.
Trade Rowand and Wunsch for Finley.

hold2dibber
05-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by mikef1331

I agree, the more I think about this idea the more I like it. Finley provides a lefty bat which the Sox really need.

That won't get it done.

IlliniSox
05-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by mikef1331

I would give up a second tier guy and somebody like Rauch, let them have all the seven-foot pitchers they want. I agree Rowand and Wunch won't cut it.

IlliniSox
05-19-2004, 12:22 PM
I would give up a second tier guy and somebody like Rauch, let them have all the seven-foot pitchers they want. I agree Rowand and Wunch won't cut it.

Touchee, Randy.

iwannago
05-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Wow. I knew he'd won one, I wasn't aware it was so recent.

1995: National League Gold Glove at OF
1996: National League Gold Glove at OF
1999: National League Gold Glove at OF
2000: National League Gold Glove at OF

I dare someone to explain to me how that addition wouldn't help close the defensive gap with Minnesota.

Four seasons ago is recent?

fquaye149
05-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Four seasons ago is recent?

maybe not. ..but remember that was around the time of the emergence of andruw jones. .. .and it's hard for even the best glovesmen to compete with him

IlliniSox
05-19-2004, 12:57 PM
It would be a defensive upgrade, I believe noone would argue that.

But, remember last year-Everett came in with power from the left (& right) and the offense began to roll through July & August. We're going to need some balance if we want to get the offensive train rolling consistently. That's why we need a guy like Finley/Beltran.

SoxxoS
05-19-2004, 12:58 PM
I watch more than my share of D'Backs games...and Finley is definitely NOT washed up. He is in great shape. The guy is an EXCELLENT defender...still. He provides a power bat and would keep Reed in the minors, with a big upgrade over Rowand. Not to mention he has post-season experience.

This is one guy we should definitely target.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2004, 01:08 PM
It would be a defensive upgrade, I believe noone would argue that.

But, remember last year-Everett came in with power from the left (& right) and the offense began to roll through July & August. We're going to need some balance if we want to get the offensive train rolling consistently. That's why we need a guy like Finley/Beltran.

The defense would be a welcome bonus.

I think Finley would be a more positive addition than Everett proved to be last season. In addition to playing a better CF than Everett (which will help the Sox pitchers), Finley has pretty good speed on the basepaths and hits a fair number of doubles and triples. Being left-handed, he will hit more balls to the right side. If he bats, fifth, he will give Maggs and Frank more opportunities to take an extra base.

Of course Beltran would be ideal, but I would hate to pay that price for just half a season. Finley shouldn't cost near as much in a trade.