PDA

View Full Version : Is this the "BIG" annoucement?

BeerHandle
05-17-2004, 09:54 AM
From www.whitesox.com

Introducing the White Sox: Brooks Boyer, the team's new vice president of marketing, already has made some changes to improve fan entertainment at U.S. Cellular Field. The most noticeable move centers around the player introductions at the start of the game, when each starter is announced separately and runs out to his respective position.

That particular plan was put into place Friday but hit a small glitch Sunday when the players all raced out to their positions at the same time. It will return when the White Sox come back from their seven-game road trip.

"It's nice. It's real good," Guillen said of the introductions. "It's exciting for the fans and the players. This new kid (Boyer) is doing a great job. He makes it more interesting for everyone."

Of course, nothing beats eight or nine runs and a victory for sheer entertainment.

voodoochile
05-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
From www.whitesox.com

Introducing the White Sox: Brooks Boyer, the team's new vice president of marketing, already has made some changes to improve fan entertainment at U.S. Cellular Field. The most noticeable move centers around the player introductions at the start of the game, when each starter is announced separately and runs out to his respective position.

That particular plan was put into place Friday but hit a small glitch Sunday when the players all raced out to their positions at the same time. It will return when the White Sox come back from their seven-game road trip.

"It's nice. It's real good," Guillen said of the introductions. "It's exciting for the fans and the players. This new kid (Boyer) is doing a great job. He makes it more interesting for everyone."

Of course, nothing beats eight or nine runs and a victory for sheer entertainment.

You mean, they got introduced individually on Fri and Sat and got beat by the Twins both games, then raced onto the field as one on Sunday and crushed the Twinkies?

Brooks, don't mess with what ain't broken.

kittle42
05-17-2004, 09:59 AM
I was there for these wonderful new intros Saturday. It just doesn't work, imo, though I do like the graphics during the intros.

MarqSox
05-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
I was there for these wonderful new intros Saturday. It just doesn't work, imo, though I do like the graphics during the intros.
The Brewers have done individual intros for several years now, and it's simply atrocious. It's tedious and does very little to get the crowd excited. The atmosphere at a baseball game is different from a basketball game, and I like it that way. Bringing a guy over from the other sport is looking like a bad idea. :(:

npdempse
05-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Folks didn't really seem to notice the individual introductions. Junk 'em.

OTOH, the introduction of Carmina Burana and Thunderstruck to the pregame music are a big plus. Figrure out a way to throw in Immigrant Song, and we'll have the most ominous pregame in MLB.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
The Brewers have done individual intros for several years now, and it's simply atrocious. It's tedious and does very little to get the crowd excited. The atmosphere at a baseball game is different from a basketball game, and I like it that way. Bringing a guy over from the other sport is looking like a bad idea. :(:

Yep, someone needs to tell Brooks that you can't dim the lights for a lazer and spotlight show for day games in baseball. Heck, in the summer, you can't even do that for 7:05 starts!

Irishsox1
05-17-2004, 10:36 AM
The individual intros sucked! I liked the bucket boys thing, but the individual intros was really lame.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by npdempse

OTOH, the introduction of Carmina Burana and Thunderstruck to the pregame music are a big plus. Figrure out a way to throw in Immigrant Song, and we'll have the most ominous pregame in MLB.

I'm with ya there.

CubKilla
05-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Big announcements like this are right up JR's alley. Buy a few CD's for some new intro music and about $50-$100 worth of fireworks for after the National Anthem and it's marketing gold for JR.

:reinsy

"Beats REAL BIG TIME announcements where millions of dollars and naming rights are involved."

Grobber33
05-17-2004, 10:49 AM
SD Padres have been doing INDIVIDUAL intros since 1974

Over By There
05-17-2004, 11:13 AM
I was at the Sat. game and the individual intros didn't work for me. Plus, I think it's clouding up what they want fans to do. It's my understanding that they used to want us to stand and cheer while they play the clip of the old time game and then the Sox legends fly past. Then, as that clip ends, last year the team was announced as "your Chicago White Sox," and they all ran on the field, and the crowd is supposed to erupt.

Saturday, there were a few people in the stands cheering during that segment, but when it was over, the intros kind of stalled, and then they went into something else, then the individual introductions. It just didn't seem to flow, and the people who were trying to be good fans by standing and cheering all by their lonesome I think felt funny for having clapped all the way through what now seems like a random video clip. I guess I wouldn't mind the individual intros, it just all seemed discombobulated and awkward on Saturday night.

jlh0023
05-17-2004, 11:22 AM
i'd dump the introductions for one reason.
when the park is empty, it is laughable the cheer you get for introductions. it is embarrassing to the team.....have you ever heard 15,000 people cheer half assed, it sounds like someone sneezed. if the park were full, it'd be a different story.

Rush20
05-17-2004, 12:15 PM
...did they play Alan Parsons "Sirius" while they ran onto the field??? [COLOR=teal]

sas1974
05-17-2004, 12:19 PM
With all of the talk this year that these guys have finally started to act like a team, it's dumb to bring them out on to the field as individuals. Let them come out together like they have been for as long as I can remember (ala the New England Pats).

SpringfldFan
05-17-2004, 12:33 PM
I bet he is simply trying to turn the introductions into a Chicago Bulls style, but I don't know how well that plays out in the open air of a baseball park. Do the Bulls even still do their intros the same way the did in the Jordan era (I confess I don't even watch Bulls games anymore). Anyway, can you just imagine it if they actually pipe in the same old Bulls introduction music and introduce the guys the same way? For example: "The MAN in the MIDDLE -- Juuuuuaaaaannn URIIIIIBEEE!!!!".

LOL dang it, I can actually imagine it.

pudge
05-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Anyone and everyone, let's email him and tell him to please stop the individual intros... they are brutal... there's something special about baseball when the whole team runs out and everyone cheers. It's a friggin' TEAM game, not a solo game like the crap-ass NBA.

Max Power
05-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
I bet he is simply trying to turn the introductions into a Chicago Bulls style, but I don't know how well that plays out in the open air of a baseball park. Do the Bulls even still do their intros the same way the did in the Jordan era (I confess I don't even watch Bulls games anymore). Anyway, can you just imagine it if they actually pipe in the same old Bulls introduction music and introduce the guys the same way? For example: "The MAN in the MIDDLE -- Juuuuuaaaaannn URIIIIIBEEE!!!!".

LOL dang it, I can actually imagine it.

Yes, they still use that intro. Hearing "Jamal Crawford" as the last name isn't as inspiring though.
I was there on Friday and I thought the videos and music were much improved, but the intros dragged. 9 players plus the manager is a lot to do individually. I guess they're trying to create better individual recognition of the players for the casual fan. We'll see.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Anyone and everyone, let's email him and tell him to please stop the individual intros... they are brutal... there's something special about baseball when the whole team runs out and everyone cheers. It's a friggin' TEAM game, not a solo game like the crap-ass NBA.

One thing to note if you do write to him:

In baseball, you get 3-5 chances per game to stand and applaud each starter when they are individually announced coming to the plate. VERY different than hoops. The pace of action is also so different that the "energy" they're trying to create doesn't carry over. Besides, the away team is up first...

DrummerGeorgefan
05-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they are trying to do the type of thing that happens at Yankee Stadium. There the team runs out together, but the fans (Note--the fans) go around the field chanting the player's name and will not stop til he tips the cap or whatever. While this is unique, I dont think it should be something Gene Honda should start up.

kittle42
05-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they are trying to do the type of thing that happens at Yankee Stadium. There the team runs out together, but the fans (Note--the fans) go around the field chanting the player's name and will not stop til he tips the cap or whatever. While this is unique, I dont think it should be something Gene Honda should start up.

It's quite different.