PDA

View Full Version : George Ofman interview with KW

Jjav829
05-16-2004, 10:53 PM
I don't know if anyone caught this but I heard the replay of Offman's interview with KW that Brian Hanley ran just before 6 tonight. There was some interesting stuff in it.

KW acknowledged that he has disagreed with Ozzie a few times this year and that his disagreements mostly centered around the amount of pitches that starters were throwing. He said that Ozzie's explanation was that he needed to see the pitchers go deep to know what they can do. If they are going to be top of the rotation pitchers, then they have to prove themselves.

But the most interesting thing was KW basically implying that he is already working on a move. He said that they (he and the coaches) have looked into ways to shake up the team. He then said that moves that he may have looked to make in June or July, he is now looking to make in May. KW stressed that he won't throw away the first half of the season. It sounded like he might be referring to a trade, but he could also be referring to calling up Reed. He talked about maybe trying to sacrifice a little power on the team for a little more contact.

SoxxoS
05-16-2004, 11:06 PM
I think as soon as Reed gets hot (I.E. when he gets his average up to about .325 -.330) we are going to see him in center.

That is what I like about KW, he isn't afraid to make moves. We know, as Sox fans, this is not going to be the team we are going to see on August 1st. At least it's exciting.

hose
05-17-2004, 07:30 AM
I am curious what KW will do.

Ozzie has stated that Hosey is his short stop . Moving Willie to center opens up second for Uribe, which is fine by me. Harris struggles against left handers so maybe a platoon w/ Rowand is possible.

Unless KW moves an outfielder like Maggs or Lee I don't see any more changes.

Konerko is untradable.<- is that a word? :D:

soxtalker
05-17-2004, 08:15 AM
I heard part of the original interview. IIRC, KW said that the hitting problem centers on the playes trying too hard and getting worried about it. In response to a question, he said that Konerko has to stop doing this. The tone of his voice was interesting -- not angry, but almost a clear, definite statement.

iwannago
05-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I don't know if anyone caught this but I heard the replay of Offman's interview with KW that Brian Hanley ran just before 6 tonight. There was some interesting stuff in it.

KW acknowledged that he has disagreed with Ozzie a few times this year and that his disagreements mostly centered around the amount of pitches that starters were throwing. He said that Ozzie's explanation was that he needed to see the pitchers go deep to know what they can do. If they are going to be top of the rotation pitchers, then they have to prove themselves.

But the most interesting thing was KW basically implying that he is already working on a move. He said that they (he and the coaches) have looked into ways to shake up the team. He then said that moves that he may have looked to make in June or July, he is now looking to make in May. KW stressed that he won't throw away the first half of the season. It sounded like he might be referring to a trade, but he could also be referring to calling up Reed. He talked about maybe trying to sacrifice a little power on the team for a little more contact.

KW always seems to be making moves that never materialize.

Just like plan A, B, C, and Z last year.

rahulsekhar
05-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by iwannago
KW always seems to be making moves that never materialize.

Just like plan A, B, C, and Z last year.

You mean Everett, Sullivan, Alomar? IMO, KW's come up with some pretty decent in-season deals, and I look for more of hte same this year.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Sooner rather then later.

Lip

iwannago
05-17-2004, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rahulsekhar
You mean Everett, Sullivan, Alomar? IMO, KW's come up with some pretty decent in-season deals, and I look for more of hte same this year. [/QU

No, all the plans after Colon left.

SEALgep
05-17-2004, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rahulsekhar
You mean Everett, Sullivan, Alomar? IMO, KW's come up with some pretty decent in-season deals, and I look for more of hte same this year. [/QU

No, all the plans after Colon left. We don't even know what the plans were. He said that if we had signed Colon, Maggs would have been traded.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Hopefully he has a few deals cooking:

1. A deal for a left-handed hitter with decent speed who can hit behind Frank and hit the ball to the right side of the field so that Maggs and Frank have the opportunity to take an extra base. Ideally this player would play a strong center field. Power is not the foremost requirement; ability to make contact with some pop is. Steve Finley might be a possibility.

2. A top-of-the rotation starting pitcher.

3. A top-notch closer.

Getting one of the three gives the Sox a shot at the division. Getting two gives the Sox a serious shot to make the ALCS. Getting all three gives them a shot at the Series.

iwannago
05-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
We don't even know what the plans were. He said that if we had signed Colon, Maggs would have been traded.

That was my point. Most of the time KW states he has plans, but you never hear of them.

rahulsekhar
05-17-2004, 03:20 PM
That was my point. Most of the time KW states he has plans, but you never hear of them.

Out of curiosity, what GM does that differ from? I'd think anyone that announced their plans would be begging for other teams to hold them up...

SEALgep
05-17-2004, 03:20 PM
That was my point. Most of the time KW states he has plans, but you never hear of them. It's better that we don't. You can't run a business with everything being public knowledge. However, just because we don't hear about them doesn't mean they don't exist or that they aren't good plans.

iwannago
05-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Out of curiosity, what GM does that differ from? I'd think anyone that announced their plans would be begging for other teams to hold them up...

Then don't state you have these grandious plans to start with.

rahulsekhar
05-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Then don't state you have these grandious plans to start with.

Huh? All I've ever heard him say is that they're constantly looking to improve the team and have multiple plans in place to do so, but need to see which ones can actually be played out. Doesn't sound grandiose to me....in fact it just sounds honest.

If you'd rather he didn't say anything at all, that's fine, but IMO it's basically the same as "GM-speak" that has words, but really says nothing. I mean everyone's got plans, so how does saying so really change anything?

SEALgep
05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Then don't state you have these grandious plans to start with. Why? I want to know that something is going on, just not necessarily specifics of it.

soxtalker
05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I heard part of the original interview. IIRC, KW said that the hitting problem centers on the playes trying too hard and getting worried about it. In response to a question, he said that Konerko has to stop doing this. The tone of his voice was interesting -- not angry, but almost a clear, definite statement.

Guess I wasn't just imagining this -- they were discussing the tone in KW's voice when talking about Konerko on the SCORE this morning.

soxnut
05-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Well hopefully KW will get something done soon. I have been clammoring for a left handed hitter that makes good contact and getting rid of some of the power. Hitting home runs is a crapshoot, give me a guy that makes contact and moves runners over anytime.

soxwon
05-17-2004, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hose
[B]I am curious what KW will do.

Ozzie has stated that Hosey is his short stop . Moving Willie to center opens up second for Uribe, which is fine by me. Harris struggles against left handers so maybe a platoon w/ Rowand is possible.

Unless KW moves an outfielder like Maggs or Lee I don't see any more changes.

This team will not win a division if MAGGS is gone, thats a no brainer.
maggs will be resigned for 4 years, he is white sox baseball.
i can see c.lee and konerko getting moved, for possibly beltran.