PDA

View Full Version : A trade suggestion for KW, free of charge

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm feeling a little like Sam Smith with this trade proposal but whatever...

My idea would be to offer up Crede and prospects to KC for Carlos Beltran. Brian Anderson or Jeremy Reed probably wouldn't have to be included as KC has Dejesus, a top CF prospect. Crede makes sense for the Royals because he's a cheap replacement for Randa, a FA at the end of the season (also allows KC to trade Randa at the deadline).

Offering Crede, an "established" MLB player, probably lessens the amount and/or quality of prospects the Sox would have to give up. On the field, this move would be tremendous. First, you get rid of one of the slow, right-handed hitters the Sox seem to have an abundance of. Second, this improves the defense because it gives the Sox a stud CF, lets Willie return to 2B, Uribe to play SS, and Ozzie could use Jose's numerous errors as reason to move him over to 3B (where Jose has more range than Crede). Finally, it adds speed and a switch hitter to the lineup.

Heck, the Sox could even offer up Carlos (whose contract probably wouldn't be prohibitive to KC) in addition and bring up Reed to play LF.

Malgar 12
05-16-2004, 06:57 PM
seems like a steep price for a rent a player headed to NY.

misty60481
05-16-2004, 07:15 PM
we dont need another right handed hitter lets keep Jose in line-up and if we trade try for left handed hitter as far as I m concerned Harris can play like Graff did last year I dont think he is a proven starting major leagueer yet --no power at all

TornLabrum
05-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe

My idea would be to offer up Crede and prospects to KC for Carlos Beltran. Brian Anderson or Jeremy Reed probably wouldn't have to be included as KC has Dejesus, a top CF prospect. Crede makes sense for the Royals because he's a cheap replacement for Randa, a FA at the end of the season (also allows KC to trade Randa at the deadline).

Offering Crede, an "established" MLB player, probably lessens the amount and/or quality of prospects the Sox would have to give up. On the field, this move would be tremendous. First, you get rid of one of the slow, right-handed hitters the Sox seem to have an abundance of. Second, this improves the defense because it gives the Sox a stud CF, lets Willie return to 2B, Uribe to play SS, and Ozzie could use Jose's numerous errors as reason to move him over to 3B (where Jose has more range than Crede). Finally, it adds speed and a switch hitter to the lineup.

Heck, the Sox could even offer up Carlos (whose contract probably wouldn't be prohibitive to KC) in addition and bring up Reed to play LF.

Okay...say we did this. Who plays third base?

CWSGuy406
05-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

This whole trade thing IMO is a pipedream but you could put Uribe at third, with Harris and Valentin at second and short respectively.

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 07:41 PM

I proposed Jose in my original post.

chisox06
05-16-2004, 07:43 PM
I proposed Jose in my original post.

Wow, I hope that experiment is over.

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Wow, I hope that experiment is over.

So you'd rather have him play short, a more demanding position?

WinningUgly!
05-16-2004, 10:32 PM

What would KC do with Joe Randa?

guillen4life13
05-16-2004, 10:57 PM
So you'd rather have him play short, a more demanding position?

Jose is an above average defender (though his Fielding percentage doesn't really show it).

Crede is a great defender as well. And really, Crede is going to heat up and he's going to be a staple of this Sox lineup for years to come. He's a good clutch hitter also, as we've all seen on numerous occasions. IMO, Crede should not be traded unless it's a trade that you just can't say no to.

jabrch
05-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

They could likely trade him and get some value - not a ton, but something.

My question - would this deal put us close enough that we'd be a favorite? If not, do we want to get beaten by Crede and Anderson for years to come? I am all for getting Beltran, but more than a bat and a CF (I am in the Harris in CF camp 100%) I'd rather see us trade for a front-of-the-rotation SP.

ZachAL
05-16-2004, 11:45 PM
\

My idea would be to offer up Crede and prospects to KC for Carlos Beltran.

Beltran will be a FA at the end of the season and his agent is Scott Boras...no way does JR even come close to touchin that

illinibk
05-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by misty60481
we dont need another right handed hitter lets keep Jose in line-up and if we trade try for left handed hitter as far as I m concerned Harris can play like Graff did last year I dont think he is a proven starting major leagueer yet --no power at all

He is a leadoff hitter. What does he need power for?

WinningUgly!
05-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by ZachAL
Beltran will be a FA at the end of the season and his agent is Scott Boras...no way does JR even come close to touchin that

Why not? The Sox have shown in recent years that they are willing to deal for Boras players. They are just not very likely to sign them after acquiring them. The Charles Johnson trade of 2000 comes to mind.

Win1ForMe
05-17-2004, 12:35 AM

Like I wrote in my original post, Randa can be traded at the deadline because he's a FA anyway.

WinningUgly!
05-17-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
This whole trade thing IMO is a pipedream but you could put Uribe at third, with Harris and Valentin at second and short respectively.

So we'd most likely be seeing lots of Kelly Dransfeldt, since Uribe, Valentin & Harris are not exactly known for their Cal Ripken-like durability. :o:

owensmouth
05-17-2004, 05:24 AM
KW won't trade Crede. KW is looking for Crede to replace Magglio's home runs next year.

SSN721
05-17-2004, 07:00 AM
I dont like this trade at all personally. I think it is quite a steep price to pay for a rent-a-player. If we already had Beltran signed when we make the trade it is something I might consider. But for me to get rid of Crede right now w/o, in my opinion, a viable replacement at third I highly disagree with this.

gosox41
05-17-2004, 07:59 AM

Uribe?

samram
05-17-2004, 08:55 AM
I think the Sox should keep an eye on Anaheim's situation. If Anderson and Erstad are out for an extended length of time (Anderson already has been), they may be looking to replace some power in their line-up, and maybe they would be interested in Konerko (not as likely) or CLee and the Sox could look into Chone Figgins and others. I think more speed and versatility (he can play a lot of positions) would be a big help.

soxtalker
05-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by samram
I think the Sox should keep an eye on Anaheim's situation. If Anderson and Erstad are out for an extended length of time (Anderson already has been), they may be looking to replace some power in their line-up, and maybe they would be interested in Konerko (not as likely) or CLee and the Sox could look into Chone Figgins and others. I think more speed and versatility (he can play a lot of positions) would be a big help.

Good post. Most of the messages concerning trades center on what we need. That's understandable, since that is what most of us know. However, I would imagine that a lot of the opportunities come from the needs of the other teams due to injuries.

samram
05-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Good post. Most of the messages concerning trades center on what we need. That's understandable, since that is what most of us know. However, I would imagine that a lot of the opportunities come from the needs of the other teams due to injuries.

Thanks. One of the problems the Sox face is the players they would like to trade play positions that are generally well-filled offensively. Not many teams need corner outfielders and first-basemen, especially right-handed hitting ones who are prone to long slumps. One other slight possibility I could see is Tampa. Tino Martinez is going to probably play until the end of the year and then retire. Maybe they would take Konerko (with the Sox paying most of his salary) and prospects for Crawford, keeping in mind that Delmon Young is going to play for them soon. The D-Rays are one team that actually needs right-handed power (or any type of power), and they don't want Robert Fick to be the everyday first baseman next year. From the Sox standpoint, some payroll is slashed and Lee can either DH (with Frank at first), or can be traded for pitching (if a taker can be found).

Hangar18
05-17-2004, 09:41 AM
The Cubs already have their Eye on Carlos Beltran. I like how
the cubs look to the Pirates, Reds, Marlins & Royals for Good Players

SSN721
05-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The Cubs already have their Eye on Carlos Beltran. I like how
the cubs look to the Pirates, Reds, Marlins & Royals for Good Players

I have no problem with that. I wouldnt care one bit if the Sox fleeced a last place, crappy team with second or third tier prospects for a quality player. ANything that helps this team to the World Series is fine in my book, even if it is duping another team out of a quality player for practically nothing in return. Its how the game is played and if one of those poor teams (minus the Marlins) agrees to the trade well then it is their own fault. I am not sure if thats what you meant by your statement, so if I interpreted incorrectly disregard this statement. :cool:

fquaye149
05-17-2004, 11:23 AM
So we'd most likely be seeing lots of Kelly Dransfeldt, since Uribe, Valentin & Harris are not exactly known for their Cal Ripken-like durability. :o:

but it's not like they're ken griffey either.