PDA

View Full Version : *Official* post game thread 5-16-04

JohnBasedowYoda
05-16-2004, 04:49 PM
I though willie looked pretty good out in center, considering he hasn't played that in a while. His speed really helps

Nard
05-16-2004, 04:54 PM
:ozzie
There's my mother****ing lineup.

SoxBoy14
05-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Willie did good, but I'd rather see him playing second and Rowand in center.

voodoochile
05-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14

Okay, so whose bat do you bench to put Rowand in, Uribe, Valentin or Crede?

HomeFish
05-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Earth welcomes Carlos Silva back.

I was going to go to the game today and bring a sign saying that, but after attending yesterday's pathetic attempt at a Sox game I decided to go see Troy instead.

Idiot.

rahulsekhar
05-16-2004, 04:56 PM

Any rationale? IMO Willie's almost as good a fielder (and that's mostly due to experience, he'll end up better given his speed), and is a much better hitter than Aaron.,

joecrede
05-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
I though willie looked pretty good out in center, considering he hasn't played that in a while. His speed really helps

You're poking fun at all the threads dealing with Rowand's defense here, right?

OEO Magglio
05-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Okay, so whose bat do you bench to put Rowand in, Uribe, Valentin or Crede?
None of them, Willie should be in center for the sox. This is the lineup ozzie has to use right now, besides having Jose, Willie, Uribe and Crede all in the lineup I loved the fact that Jose was hitting in between carlos and pk, ozzie better send the same exactly lineup out there tomorrow.

dirty-mutt
05-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I like this lineup

whitesoxwilkes
05-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Just got back from the game...

Wille's got GREAT speed out in CF. My big worry is that he doesn't have the eye for it though...I really wish he got a little more exposure out there during ST.

Mark looked nothing short of phenomenal today. Might be the best outing by any Sox pitcher all year. There's a certain intangible with pitchers called "zip"...and he sure had it working something fierce.

batmanZoSo
05-16-2004, 05:15 PM
That sure was a great game all around. Huge crowd too. We could've swept this series, Minnesota is not that good. We had our top three starters vs. two of their weakest and one guy who's been pitching over his head. We actually played them tougher last year, though there are 16 games to go. Hopefully we win 9 of them.

We have to outslug Cleveland now. Gotta win that series and split in the Dome.

Buehrle was flawless again and the last two games he's pitched we've scored like 26 runs. He's in a zone right now, one that could last to the all-star break, we gotta take advantage of it and keep scoring for him...we usually don't historically. He's a guy that can win 20 with enough help.

This game sure healed a lot of wounds. And the lineup was as it should be--Harris in center, Uribe at second, Valentin at short.

The_Floridian
05-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish

I was going to go to the game today and bring a sign saying that, but after attending yesterday's pathetic attempt at a Sox game I decided to go see Troy instead.

Idiot.

Boy that hurts.

The_Floridian
05-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Man that was a fun game to watch. My fiancee and I sat on the coach and cheered. She's got a new system where she yells at whichever Sox batter is up. Seemed to work.

I said this on another thread and I'll say it here. I'm REALLY happy with our pitching staff. We're third in the league in ERA right now. I don't think anyone on the list expected us to be doing so well in that department at this point in the season. Or any point, for that matter.

This was a good win. Our offense needs to break out (May is always tough) and hopefully, this will do it.

Man I love this team...and I'm moving to Chicago on Friday. WOO HOO!!! :gulp:

Let's go Sox!!!

OurBitchinMinny
05-16-2004, 05:26 PM

Rowand beyond sucks and uribe needs to be in the lineup everyday. Its not like rowand is willie mays with the glove anyways and he definitely is not with the bat. Im not in favor of benching at guy who is hitting .300 for a guy around .200. Rowand can get the occasional start, but other than that he is a 4th or 5th outfielder. Todays lineup was perfect, other than alomar at catcher. Lee is showing signs of breaking out, which is good. Rowand has done nothing to warrant a job. I know he hit a HR this series, but he needs to hit more consistently if he wants to start anywhere

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Great game, and Buehrle's performance was great to see. Still, this is why this team is so frustrating. For anyone following the Sox for the last few years, you could totally tell we would score double digits once we got up 6-0. Some of our players live for these types of games, where the pressure is off and they don't have to worry about anything.

Tomorrow will be a test to see if we have another post-blowout letdown.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by The_Floridian

Man I love this team...and I'm moving to Chicago on Friday. WOO HOO!!! :gulp:

Let's go Sox!!!

Welcome to Illinois and Chicago! Hope to see you at the park man.

Did you guys see ozzie hamming it up in the dugout late innings? Spitting gallons of water all over the place and making fun of uribe at the plate. I love watching these guys having fun but i wish they didn't need a blowout to do so.

SoxxoS
05-16-2004, 05:30 PM
I don't want to just split in the dome...they come to our house and take the series...we have to have the same mentality as they did.

I want two of three in Cleveland and 3 of 4 in Minny. We are due to start beating them at their place. With or without the air conditioning... :D:

If Willie could hang in center, I like this lineup a lot. Reed isn't hitting to his potential, so if we could wait a few weeks until he finds his real stroke, we will be in good shape. Although, Reed is is getting on base...his OBP is .385 I believe.

One good game can't overlook the weaknesses with this team. I think Maggs, CLee or Valentin has to go. Preferably Valentin.

Harris-2B
Reed-CF
Thomas-DH
Maggs-RF
CLee-LF
Konerko-1B (blah, but nobody wants him)
Crede-3B
Uribe-SS (doesn't need to be in the two hole, he hits anything).
Olivo C

And I would hope Valentin would being a closer or a 5th starter. Not to mention freeing up 5 million in payroll.

johnny_mostil
05-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish

Idiot.

Based on your sig line, I think we could take up a collection to keep your from every seeing the Sox personally again.

johnny_mostil
05-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If Willie could hang in center, I like this lineup a lot. Reed isn't hitting to his potential, so if we could wait a few weeks until he finds his real stroke, we will be in good shape. Although, Reed is is getting on base...his OBP is .385 I believe.

Reed's not playing center any more -- he was in LF today. I can only assume that means he didn't pass his audition. If he's only a corner outfielder that changes a lot, doesn't it, SoxxoS?

batmanZoSo
05-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't want to just split in the dome...they come to our house and take the series...we have to have the same mentality as they did.

I want two of three in Cleveland and 3 of 4 in Minny. We are due to start beating them at their place. With or without the air conditioning... :D:

One good game can't overlook the weaknesses with this team. I think Maggs, CLee or Valentin has to go. Preferably Valentin.

Harris-2B
Reed-CF
Thomas-DH
Maggs-RF
CLee-LF
Konerko-1B (blah, but nobody wants him)
Crede-3B
Uribe-SS (doesn't need to be in the two hole, he hits anything).
Olivo C

And I would hope Valentin would being a closer or a 5th starter. Not to mention freeing up 5 million in payroll.

I like your lineup and your logic behind it. Thomas needs to bat third with Magglio behind him or he's gonna walk 160 times with 80 rbi. Maggs does not need protection, he's proven that for the last 5 years. He hits bad pitches out of the ballpark and in the gaps. And he'll have a guy on base for him 40% of the time.

Uribe looked good out of the two hole. I wouldn't bat him eighth, I would split up Lee and Konerko with Uribe batting sixth. The problem is getting rid of Valentin, that's not gonna happen until the end of the year.

Right now, the best possible lineup is

Harris CF
Lee
Thomas
Ordonez
Konerko
Uribe
Valentin
Crede
Olivo

Lee is gonna break out of it hitting second, Thomas and Maggs will be that much better being switched, and we'll have a lefty down in the order for once with Valentin.

SoxxoS
05-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by johnny_mostil
Reed's not playing center any more -- he was in LF today. I can only assume that means he didn't pass his audition. If he's only a corner outfielder that changes a lot, doesn't it, SoxxoS?

He can play center better than Rowand. Until we have a true center fielder (Brian Anderson) it really doesn't matter.

That being said, Reed went 0-4 today, so he is going to be down in the minors for a little longer...

JohnBasedowYoda
05-16-2004, 06:26 PM
the baseball tonight clowns just made fun of the exploding scoreboard. "duh...fireworks in the day? What's the point!? Nobody can see 'em"

What a nozzle, They sound really cool man!!! I mean really cool! Plus it was good to hear a "na na na na hey hey hey" over the broadcast...Wicked!

chisox06
05-16-2004, 06:36 PM
I said this on another thread and I'll say it here. I'm REALLY happy with our pitching staff. We're third in the league in ERA right now. I don't think anyone on the list expected us to be doing so well in that department at this point in the season. Or any point, for that matter.

Glad someone pointed that out, 3rd best ERA in the league is a lot better than I thought we would be at this time, considering all the negativety and questions surrounding our SP and bullpen. Hitting will blow hot and cold, consitent pitching will get you consistent wins.

CWSGuy406
05-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Glad someone pointed that out, 3rd best ERA in the league is a lot better than I thought we would be at this time, considering all the negativety and questions surrounding our SP and bullpen. Hitting will blow hot and cold, consitent pitching will get you consistent wins.

Third in ERA and that includes us basically without a very good start from our fifth starter this year. I'd take Kris Benson - he could be a quality fifth starter and we wouldn't (IMO) have to give up the farm to get him. Then again, I hope Felix Diaz can get the job done so there's no need to trade for another starter.

Nard
05-16-2004, 07:07 PM
the baseball tonight clowns just made fun of the exploding scoreboard. "duh...fireworks in the day? What's the point!? Nobody can see 'em"

What a nozzle, They sound really cool man!!! I mean really cool! Plus it was good to hear a "na na na na hey hey hey" over the broadcast...Wicked!

Also, no web gem for Uribe's hop-n-throw and PK's nice grab.

No surprise either.

MRKARNO
05-16-2004, 07:20 PM

Don't they know that there are two types of fireworks??? The kind they use in the day are just there to make noise and they dont have any color. The ones they use at night make much less noise and have color.

A. Cavatica
05-16-2004, 07:31 PM
My fiancee and I sat on the coach and cheered.

No, no, you have it all wrong! We sit on the coach when the Royals come to town.

MRKARNO
05-16-2004, 07:36 PM
I really like how our starting staff is turning out, 1-4 at least. The worst ERA on the staff is Esteban Loaiza's 4.20 right now. If Diaz turns out to be good in the 5 spot, which I believe he will, we have a good staff that isn't going to lose us ballgames, which is always nice. IMO, Diaz's first outing was plagued by a few bad pitches combined with the fact that the ball was carrying well when he was pitching. He shouldn't have the same problem with the longball in Cleveland bc those HRs weren't exactly monster shots.

SoxxoS
05-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I really like how our starting staff is turning out, 1-4 at least. The worst ERA on the staff is Esteban Loaiza's 4.20 right now. If Diaz turns out to be good in the 5 spot, which I believe he will, we have a good staff that isn't going to lose us ballgames, which is always nice. IMO, Diaz's first outing was plagued by a few bad pitches combined with the fact that the ball was carrying well when he was pitching. He shouldn't have the same problem with the longball in Cleveland bc those HRs weren't exactly monster shots.

And if Felix can't do the job, Jon "I must be in the doghouse" Rauch looks more than ready. The guy is a fly ball pitcher in a bandbox with an ERA of 3.25. If he can somehow get out of the doghouse, he should be able to do the job.

batmanZoSo
05-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Third in ERA and that includes us basically without a very good start from our fifth starter this year. I'd take Kris Benson - he could be a quality fifth starter and we wouldn't (IMO) have to give up the farm to get him. Then again, I hope Felix Diaz can get the job done so there's no need to trade for another starter.

I'm pretty sure Benson makes 5 million or so. And he's not that good. If we spend any money on pitchers it should be an ace.

SoxxoS
05-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I'm pretty sure Benson makes 5 million or so. And he's not that good. If we spend any money on pitchers it should be an ace.

I agree, for a pitcher by himself.

But not if we get Benson and they would take Konerko or someone like that.

I don't care what kind of pitcher we can get if we can get rid of Konerko, and Pitt might be the team stupid enough to take him.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2004, 08:01 PM
A needed win.

Just wondering...

What's the over / under on the Sox scoring three runs or less tomorrow night?

Lip

MRKARNO
05-16-2004, 08:11 PM
I really dont think at this point that the Sox need a Kris Benson or Kip wells or any other decent starter. If we're gonna get a starter, it has to be an ace starter or else it's a waste of resources. Getting a Braden looper might be a better idea because Politte just aint cutting it.

Frankfan4life
05-16-2004, 08:39 PM
I just want to say Thank You White Sox for restoring my faith in you. I was pretty down the last couple of days and this win was a much-needed booster shot. Beating the Twins "ace," shutting them out, and scoring in double digits filled the bill quite nicely.

Now I would just like to stay on the top of this roller coaster for at least a week. Okay?

OEO Magglio
05-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A needed win.

Just wondering...

What's the over / under on the Sox scoring three runs or less tomorrow night?

Lip
Lip, that's something everyone is probably worried about, honestly though if ozzie puts the same lineup out there tomorrow I think the sox will score some runs again, I really love the lineup ozz put out there today.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Lip, that's something everyone is probably worried about, honestly though if ozzie puts the same lineup out there tomorrow I think the sox will score some runs again, I really love the lineup ozz put out there today.

agreed, they were clickin

mdep524
05-17-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio

I really loved the line up we had out there today, and I hope this becomes the regular line up. I don't think we will see it tomorrow though, because we are facing a lefty in Cliff Lee, meaning one of Harris or Valentin will be benched.

But come Tuesday, I'd like to see today's line up out there. Though I am really hankering for the Big Hurt in the 3 hole again, and Konerko would make a great bullpen catcher, don't you think?

So I guess this is EXACTLY what I'd like to see against righties:

Harris CF
Uribe 2B
Thomas DH
Ordonez RF
Lee LF
Valentin SS
Crede 3B
Gload 1B
Olivo C

SSN721
05-17-2004, 06:47 AM
I thought it was a great lineup. Obviously a great win. And honestly, I am not as worried this time about not scoring much tongiht. I think Ozzie had to be there himself to see how his team responded after the 15-0 Bird blowout and after seeing it, I hope that he will not aloow this to happen again. I really think the team will be more motivated to come out a nd win tonight. This is what we have Ozzie for. If they come out really flat I will be a little worried because I think Ozzie knows better and will get this team going, I hope. But nice to spank the Twins after the two bad losses.

maurice
05-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
If we're gonna get a starter, it has to be an ace starter

Ditto. The hole is at the TOP of the rotation, not the bottom. Adding an ace pushes everybody else down one slot, making it pointless to trade for a #5. Unfortunately, we're going to have to wait until some more teams fall out of contention.

BTW, Harris in CF is just the latest stopgap since Singleton left. Harris likely will be the starting 2B next season with Uribe at SS. I'd really rather they play those positions now. Valentin / Uribe at SS has been like night / day.

SoxxoS
05-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Ditto. The hole is at the TOP of the rotation, not the bottom. Adding an ace pushes everybody else down one slot, making it pointless to trade for a #5. Unfortunately, we're going to have to wait until some more teams fall out of contention.

I just want to add a proven pitcher...I don't care if he moves everybody "down" or just takes the 5th starter role.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by johnny_mostil

His audition?

Put the crack pipe down. Are you the same guy who said Rauch wasn't a starter anymore?

Reed's been in CF just about since day 1 with the Sox. That's where he'll be next year too, except, in Chicago.

Randar68
05-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by maurice

BTW, Harris in CF is just the latest stopgap since Singleton left. Harris likely will be the starting 2B next season with Uribe at SS. I'd really rather they play those positions now. Valentin / Uribe at SS has been like night / day.

Agree with the first part... but...

You can't bench Crede, and none of the 3 (Uribe, Harris, Jose) can play 1st base regularly. It's great insurance policy for this year, but I'd rather they each be in defined and consistent roles for this season. I like Willie at 2B better than Uribe, but Willie can play CF and Uribe not so much.

It's what you have to do to get your best players in the lineup. Willie in CF is no defensive downgrade from Rowand or Timo, that's for sure.

Hope Ozzie comes back with a nearly identical line-up. He didn't after we won 15-0, and that is something Jerry never did either. Big outburst and then everyone would be shuffled again. I hope we see the same line-up with Olivo behind the plate...