PDA

View Full Version : This isn't Wrigley - keep the darn

hellenicsoxfan
05-16-2004, 02:59 AM
I was at Saturday night's game and when Torii Hunter hit his 1st homer, some fans in the bleachers were yelling to throw the ball back and after a few moments, it was thrown back on the field. As a guy who has been going to baseball games for over 30 years and has never caught a ball, this irritates me. Leave this stupid tradition to the morons on the north side. If I ever catch a home run ball hit by an opposing team player, unless they offer to take the runs off the board, I'm keeping the darn ball. And if you catch one and can't stand the idea of having a home run ball hit by an opposing player, find a little kid (or a big kid like me) and give him the ball and make his day.

WhiteSox = Life
05-16-2004, 03:09 AM
You're preaching to the choir here at WSI.

No doubt about it: you catch a ball and throw it back? Come on.

If you plan on throwing it back, at least wait until the bad guys come play defense and try to hit their best outfielder's noggin.

:smile:

StockdaleForVeep
05-16-2004, 03:09 AM
Its funny how sox fans do throw a sosa homerun back, that i will tolerate. I wanan go to a wrigley game with some support and start a throw it back chant when a scrub player hits a dinger.

SoxxoS
05-16-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

If you plan on throwing it back, at least wait until the bad guys come play defense and try to hit their best outfielder's noggin.

If you do that we got to hear about that "incident" from the baseball world for the next 10 freakin years.

Railsplitter
05-16-2004, 08:48 AM
What we need is a zero tolerance policy regarding objects thrown onto the field.

white sox bill
05-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Flub fans throwing something back that comes once in a liftetime, almost one in a million chance? That says something about their intelligence. Not news to Sox fans.

voodoochile
05-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
Its funny how sox fans do throw a sosa homerun back, that i will tolerate. I wanan go to a wrigley game with some support and start a throw it back chant when a scrub player hits a dinger.

Sosa homers are worth MONEY! Keep the ball, sell it to some Flubbie fan.

oldcomiskey
05-16-2004, 10:04 AM
after Hunter made the good catch on Carlos Lee last night he had a drink poured on him by some moron-----geez, this aint Wrigley---and all that did was to make Torii more focused in beating us--and what is with all this stuff about throwing baseballs back if an opposing player hits a HR

owensmouth
05-16-2004, 10:39 AM
I agree with the majority about throwing back home runs. Keep the ball, However, in this one case I'll make an exception for one reason. The first home run was Tori Hunter's 100th home run. From what I understand, he ended up with the ball.

voodoochile
05-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I agree with the majority about throwing back home runs. Keep the ball, However, in this one case I'll make an exception for one reason. The first home run was Tori Hunter's 100th home run. From what I understand, he ended up with the ball.

So trade it for a signed bat or a jersey or a check or heck, a handshake and the chance to meet a MLB superstar.

All the more reason to keep the damned thing until someone approaches you.

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 11:05 AM
I know people dislike throwing back home run balls because of the Wrigley Field connection, but I really don't have a problem with it. In the case of the Torii Hunter home run, why in the world would I want to keep a home run ball of a player I really hate, from a team I really hate? Not to mention the ball is a symbol of a wound inflicted upon our Sox...

I can maybe see keeping HR balls of certain HOF players, but if Luis Rivas or Lew Ford hit one out, then what the hell do I need it for?

I would like for someone to explain to me why this is such a bad thing.

HomerCoach
05-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Start wearing shirts:
Front:
This Ain't The URINAL!

Back:
Keep The Balls!

MarqSox
05-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
I know people dislike throwing back home run balls because of the Wrigley Field connection, but I really don't have a problem with it. In the case of the Torii Hunter home run, why in the world would I want to keep a home run ball of a player I really hate, from a team I really hate? Not to mention the ball is a symbol of a wound inflicted upon our Sox...

I can maybe see keeping HR balls of certain HOF players, but if Luis Rivas or Lew Ford hit one out, then what the hell do I need it for?

Because The Cell isn't Wrigley! That's a Wrigley tradition (a silly one, but a tradition nonetheless) and it should be left there. Keep the friggin ball, or go to the North Side. It's your choice. :angry: :angry:

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Because The Cell isn't Wrigley! That's a Wrigley tradition (a silly one, but a tradition nonetheless) and it should be left there. Keep the friggin ball, or go to the North Side. It's your choice. :angry: :angry:

That's some good reasoning.

Brian26
05-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
after Hunter made the good catch on Carlos Lee last night he had a drink poured on him by some moron-----geez, this aint Wrigley---

Tell Al Smith that.

MRKARNO
05-16-2004, 12:06 PM
I have a better idea. How about instead of throwing it back, the person who catches it leads a parade of people to the nearest garbage can at the top of the aisle.

MarqSox
05-16-2004, 12:20 PM
That's some good reasoning.
Everyone else here seems to think so. How about we turn it around and you explain why it IS a good idea to throw the ball back?

Do you think you're hurting the other team's feelings? Runs don't come off the board. And you're talking about "symbolism?" Of what, reminding the Sox pitcher that he just gave up a gopher ball?

Throwing the ball back is pointless and it just serves to make the fans cheering for it look stupid. I don't get what's so hard about keeping the ball, or handing it to a kid who would appreciate having it. Carlos Lee doesn't want it.

hsnterprize
05-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by hellenicsoxfan
I was at Saturday night's game and when Torii Hunter hit his 1st homer, some fans in the bleachers were yelling to throw the ball back and after a few moments, it was thrown back on the field. As a guy who has been going to baseball games for over 30 years and has never caught a ball, this irritates me. Leave this stupid tradition to the morons on the north side. If I ever catch a home run ball hit by an opposing team player, unless they offer to take the runs off the board, I'm keeping the darn ball. And if you catch one and can't stand the idea of having a home run ball hit by an opposing player, find a little kid (or a big kid like me) and give him the ball and make his day. I saw the throwback when it happened. One fan caught the ball, and was about to throw it back, but some fans told him no. Then, after a few seconds, he gave the ball to anothe rfan who threw it back on the field. And the guy who tossed it was wearing a Sox jersey.

I think one of Brooks Boyer's new marketing gimmicks should be a public service announcement asking all Sox fans to please refrain from throwing opposing player's homer runs back on the field. Why...because the last thing we fans want to be associated with is a Wrigley Field style act. It's bad enough people complain about not having bars and such immediately around the ballpark...now this?!?!?!?!? It's a conspiracy, I tell you...a stinkin' conspiracy to keep the Sox down!!!!

Brian26
05-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Carlos Lee doesn't want it.

And he certainly didn't look too happy having to jog over and pick it up last night.

ewokpelts
05-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
after Hunter made the good catch on Carlos Lee last night he had a drink poured on him by some moron-----geez, this aint Wrigley---and all that did was to make Torii more focused in beating us--and what is with all this stuff about throwing baseballs back if an opposing player hits a HR

If you're referring to the final out last night....torri threw the ball into my section...another season ticket holder got it....peeps were cheering him on...when suddenly a bunch of beer cups came flyin at his head....totally uncalled for.....we dont need jag bags t our games...we get enough crap from moronotti....

Gene

ewokpelts
05-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So trade it for a signed bat or a jersey or a check or heck, a handshake and the chance to meet a MLB superstar.

All the more reason to keep the damned thing until someone approaches you.
I would've kept it...unless hunter asked for it.....i'd take a game used jersey and a photo op
Gene

jamteh
05-16-2004, 12:44 PM
I'd love to see Barry Bonds hit one of his milestone homers in Wrigley. I'd like to see if Cubs fans are dimwitted enough to throw it back.

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Everyone else here seems to think so. How about we turn it around and you explain why it IS a good idea to throw the ball back?

I thought I did... (and just to clarify, I never said throwing the ball back is necessarily a good idea, but don't see how it's a bad idea, and you haven't made a case for it either).

Do you think you're hurting the other team's feelings? Runs don't come off the board.

Who said anything about hurting the other team's feelings or taking runs away. Please stop reading your imaginary message board...

Throwing the ball back is pointless and it just serves to make the fans cheering for it look stupid.

This I agree with. I think the decision should be left up to each fan and pressuring them is idiotic.

I don't get what's so hard about keeping the ball...

There's nothing "hard" about it, but like I said, why would I want to keep something that would only bring back bad memories. It's like "Hey, look at this, the Sox got their ass kicked today and here's the ball that did it. Thank god I have it."

If someone wants to keep the ball that's fine by me, I just don't understand why throwing the ball back is such a taboo. And you're going to have to come up with better reasoning than "because they do it at Wrigley."

WLL1855
05-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I saw the throwback when it happened. One fan caught the ball, and was about to throw it back, but some fans told him no. Then, after a few seconds, he gave the ball to anothe rfan who threw it back on the field. And the guy who tossed it was wearing a Sox jersey.

The fans trying to discourage the ball catcher from throwing the ball back deserve kudos for their efforts.

As PHG would say:

"You're a good Sox fan. Be fruitful and multiply."

or something like that.

This kind of nonsense needs to stop. Unfortunately, I don't see any solution that will get the message across except to remove the offender from the park. I don't care who hit the ball. Sox fans don't throw balls back. If you don't want it, give it to a kid.

soxwon
05-16-2004, 12:50 PM
i was at last nights game, sitting in left field, i was surrounded by twins fans- they were very cordial.
it must have been college night for i saw litterally hundreds of kids with their universitys names on their shirts.
these fans were pretty rowdy, alot of swearing at twins players, i dont mind TWINKIES SUCK or CUBS SUCK but when you start using the F word abusively, i dont care for it.
when hunter hit the home run- which went a long ways(i admire a long blast) even an opponents. these half crocked college kids were screaming THROW IT BACK, i was saying NO we dont do that here, a few said they do that a wrigley- i said I KNOW they are morons there.
of courrse someone threw it back and everyone cheered.
ive been to over 600 games in my life not once have i caught a ball, id want to keep it if i did.
i know youve heard it all before, but CUBMORONANIA is running rampant.
thats my final word

TDog
05-16-2004, 02:48 PM
... This I agree with. I think the decision should be left up to each fan and pressuring them is idiotic....

Everybody has a right to choose to be an idiot.

This topic has been discussed at lenghth before. Forget about the souvenir value of a baseball and the fact that some baseballs have more sentimental value than others. Throwing things onto the field from the stands is dangerous and wrong. The fact that throwing opponents' home run balls back is celebrated by the media as part of the idiotic Wriglification of America is absurd. I saw a kid on television from Minnesota some years ago throwing a foul ball back on the field, apparently thinking it was part of the baseball experience.

I have never seen it done at the many California ballgames I've been to. I understand that in some places, throwing back baseballs can result in criminal charges. At the very least, at the Cell, it should be announced that for the safety of the players and coaches on the field, anyone throwing baseball from the stands is subject to ejection. I bet that would get a cheer.

Give it to a kid, a kid who knows better not to throw the ball back!

bartmanisgod
05-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by hellenicsoxfan
I was at Saturday night's game and when Torii Hunter hit his 1st homer, some fans in the bleachers were yelling to throw the ball back and after a few moments, it was thrown back on the field. As a guy who has been going to baseball games for over 30 years and has never caught a ball, this irritates me. Leave this stupid tradition to the morons on the north side. If I ever catch a home run ball hit by an opposing team player, unless they offer to take the runs off the board, I'm keeping the darn ball. And if you catch one and can't stand the idea of having a home run ball hit by an opposing player, find a little kid (or a big kid like me) and give him the ball and make his day.

Just out of curiosity were you at the O's double header...and did you sit in right field...and get tossed out of the game after the paulie home run...you sound exactly like the guy that was sitting next to us!

jcirish85
05-16-2004, 04:15 PM

It's not a bad idea. I can definately see your reasoning. However, that was a stupid ball to throw back because he could have gotten some bats and other memorbilia. Also, throwing back a ball shouldn't be considerd evil just because they do it at Wrigley. If that was the Sox philosophy, then drinking beer would be banned at Comiskey because they drink beer at Wrigley. If someone throws back a ball, they should be applauded because it would be hard to throw back a ball you catch. i dont think i would be able to.

Dub25
05-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I have a better idea. How about instead of throwing it back, the person who catches it leads a parade of people to the nearest garbage can at the top of the aisle.

That idea sounds familar. Except I didn't mention the parade. But that's ok, spread the word I think it would be funny.

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Everybody has a right to choose to be an idiot.

This topic has been discussed at lenghth before. Forget about the souvenir value of a baseball and the fact that some baseballs have more sentimental value than others. Throwing things onto the field from the stands is dangerous and wrong.

To say that throwing a baseball back onto the field is "dangerous" should only apply to people that are completely drunk (in other words, people that should not be at the game in the first place). Let's say I happen to catch the ball and want to throw it back, I would have to be criminally retarded to bring upon a dangerous situation. And bringing up the "souvenir value of a baseball" means you're assuming others must share your view. Personally, I could care less about the souvenir value of a home run ball hit by one of the Twins (maybe that's just me). You're really just using cliches and generalizations to make your argument, not very smart thinking IMO.

The "give the ball to a kid" line is fine but it still doesn't explain how throwing the ball back is a bad idea.

joejacksonsshoes
05-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Duh!!! If you throw the ball back, you can't give it to a kid.

I can't believe no one has mentioned what the clever bleacher bums do at Wrigley: Pocket the real ball and throw out one from Walmart. Saw it on Fox last summer an inning or two after they tricked a little girl into giving up an Arizona homerun blast she had picked up.

FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC

Viva Magglio
05-16-2004, 09:21 PM
When Gene Honda says before the game "Fans may not touch or interfere with a baseball in play by entering the field or leaning over the wall," he should add "FANS MAY NOT THROW VISITING TEAM HOME RUN BALLS ONTO THE FIELD...ANY FAN WHO THROWS A VISITING TEAM HOME RUN BALL ONTO THE FIELD IS SUBJECT TO REMOVAL FROM THE PARK."

Furthermore, the outfielders should be given strict instructions by Ozzie that in the event a visiting team home run ball comes onto the field, the ball should be (gently) tossed right back into the stands where it came from.

Better yet, next time it happens, Ozzie should do what Sam Wyche did once. When Wyche was coaching the Bengals and Cincinnati fans were thowing trash on the field, Wyche grabbed the PA microphone and urged them to stop by saying "YOU DON'T LIVE IN CLEVELAND; YOU LIVE IN CINCINNATI!!!" He was referring to the reputation Browns fans in the "Dog Pound" had for pelting opposing players with trash. Ozzie should do the same thing...

:ozzie
"THIS IS NOT WRIGLEY FIELD!!! KEEP THE [BLEEPING] BALL!!!!!!!!"

MRKARNO
05-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Dub25
That idea sounds familar. Except I didn't mention the parade. But that's ok, spread the word I think it would be funny.

Maybe not a parade, but it would be an event. And because it would be in the bleachers, almost everyone in the park could see it.

IA_soxfan
05-16-2004, 09:35 PM
There's nothing "hard" about it, but like I said, why would I want to keep something that would only bring back bad memories. It's like "Hey, look at this, the Sox got their ass kicked today and here's the ball that did it. Thank god I have it."

If someone wants to keep the ball that's fine by me, I just don't understand why throwing the ball back is such a taboo. And you're going to have to come up with better reasoning than "because they do it at Wrigley."

Its A BASEBALL GAME for heaven's sake. Its not like you are being asked to keep a knife that was used to murder one of your loved ones. I'm all for passionate fandom, but throwing balls back is immature, classless, and epitomizes the traveshamockery that is Cubs baseball.

Railsplitter
05-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Tell Al Smith that.

Actually, from what I saw of the clip in the highlight film of the '59 Series, the beer was resting on the top of the wall and was knocked down accidently.

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by IA_soxfan
Its A BASEBALL GAME for heaven's sake. Its not like you are being asked to keep a knife that was used to murder one of your loved ones. I'm all for passionate fandom, but throwing balls back is immature, classless, and epitomizes the traveshamockery that is Cubs baseball.

So let me summarize your post: "Throwing the ball back is bad... because... uh... it's bad... and... uh... because the Cubs do it."

DrummerGeorgefan
05-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Some people in the Left Field OF bleachers tried to start the wave today at the game. Some great soul stood up, chastised the wave for being northside, and it promptly stopped. He may be my new hero

MarqSox
05-16-2004, 11:23 PM
So let me summarize your post: "Throwing the ball back is bad... because... uh... it's bad... and... uh... because the Cubs do it."
If the Cubs fans started singing "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" at Wrigley, would that be OK? HELL NO! Why? Because that's our tradition, not theirs. So let them keep their traditions and we'll keep ours.

IA_soxfan
05-17-2004, 02:19 AM

Did you even read my post? I was simply mocking your insinuation that keeping an opposing team's HR ball was going to haunt you for the rest of your life. Its a baseball game, and even the best teams are going to lose somewhere between 50-60 of them per year. If you can't handle that, then its your problem. Give the ball to a kid or somebody who wants it, but DON'T give sox fans as a whole a bad name by imitating a northside tradition (and yes, the fact that the cubs do it is a valid reason for asking sox fans to refrain from it) and displaying a lack of sportsmanship.

SSN721
05-17-2004, 07:35 AM

This I agree with. I think the decision should be left up to each fan and pressuring them is idiotic.

You agree with the fact that throwing the ball back is pointless, yet you keep mocking people for trying to give you reasons its stupid even though you agree it is. I dont understand what other reasoning you are trying to look for. And I do agree with an above poster that the fact that it is a tradition at Wrigley is more than enough reason for Sox fans not to do it. I personally loathe this practice and can't beleive that it started happening at our park. But if you wish to support it you are more then welcome even though you yourself seem to agree that it is pointless.