PDA

View Full Version : Franklin Francisco

gosox41
05-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Just an FYI. He was one of the players part the Sox gave up to get Everett. According to Phil Rogers in today's Trib he's hit 99MPH on the radar gun striking out 20 in 17 innings and was just called up to the majors.

Believe it or not I'm not actually ripping on KW as I have no problem giving up a minor league reliever for an All Star CFer. I'm just here to provide information in case anyone likes to follow any ex players the Sox had in their organization.

Bob

wilburwood
05-16-2004, 09:10 AM
guess I could understand it IF they had kept/signed Everett, since that was not done looks pretty boneheaded to me. :?: :?:

rahulsekhar
05-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by wilburwood
guess I could understand it IF they had kept/signed Everett, since that was not done looks pretty boneheaded to me. :?: :?:
I certainly hope that we're not now going to see a flurry of commnts about how we gutted the system. This guy was a very low level prospect, and IIRC, the reason we lost Everett is because he wanted more $$$ and ended up settling for less than we offered, but the Sox couldnt sign him past the arb date due to MLB restrictions.

gosox41
05-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
I certainly hope that we're not now going to see a flurry of commnts about how we gutted the system. This guy was a very low level prospect, and IIRC, the reason we lost Everett is because he wanted more $$$ and ended up settling for less than we offered, but the Sox couldnt sign him past the arb date due to MLB restrictions.

But the Sox didn't offer him arbitration. I thought if they didn't offer it to him then they could still sign him. I may be mistaken on this. At the time it was a good risk to sign Everett to the 2 year $7 mill deal he got from Montreal.

Bob

rahulsekhar
05-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
But the Sox didn't offer him arbitration. I thought if they didn't offer it to him then they could still sign him. I may be mistaken on this. At the time it was a good risk to sign Everett to the 2 year $7 mill deal he got from Montreal.

Bob

No arb because IIRC, in arb you cant get a reduced salary, and Carl's prior deal was a big one. Once they didn't offer arb, they couldn't resign him until May (same reason Urbina & IRod couldn't reurn to Marlins despite not having any decent offers).

owensmouth
05-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Everett, an All Star Center Fielder???? Please, he couldn't catch a cold. He played CF for the White Sox because there wasn't anywhere else to put him. He was lifted "for defensive purposes" after the seventh inning, replaced by either Rowand or Willie. He was a better hitter than either AR or Willie, but an All Star Center Fielder? Never

Brian26
05-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

The Sox didn't offer arbitration. If they DID, they probably would have ended up paying Carl a TON of money. They did try to get a deal done with Carl before the deadline, but couldn't come to terms. Now, they could have resigned him even though they didn't offer arbitration, but they would have had to wait until May. There's no way the Sox could have signed Everett for a 2 year/$7 mil deal though. Everett was expecting much more (the reason he held out from their initial offers), and I think he was surprised how little money was being offered.

Chisoxfn
05-16-2004, 12:10 PM
I still think Josh Rupe was the prospect the Sox will miss out of that. I knew Francisco had velocity, but thats still quite the jump, from the 93-95 he threw when he was in the Sox organization.

I'm not going to knock Rogers, but I'm going to think that the 99 MPH is coming from a BA guy and well, frankly they are quiet notorious at giving odd radar gun numbers.

Still, deal was worth it. It filled a need for the Sox and Everett added offense when he was their. I don't think anyone will say he was a good defensive player.

The Sox tried to win it all and it failed, but I honestly can say they tried. How often can we say that????? :?:

gosox41
05-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Everett, an All Star Center Fielder???? Please, he couldn't catch a cold. He played CF for the White Sox because there wasn't anywhere else to put him. He was lifted "for defensive purposes" after the seventh inning, replaced by either Rowand or Willie. He was a better hitter than either AR or Willie, but an All Star Center Fielder? Never

He was an All Star in 2003. May have gotten in as a DH, but I love his intensity and ability to hit in the clutch. I'd take 30 HR"s and a .300 average from my CF position while giving up some defense.

Bob

wsgdf
05-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Isn't Francisco the guy Kenny got for one month of Sandy Almoar two years ago?

So he gets a guy the Rockies gave up on one year for nothing, allows him to put up some decent numbers in the low minors for us and then moves him the next for much needed offense during a pennant drive - allowing him to hold on to his real prospects (Rauch, Honel, Munoz, etc)...

I wouldn't question the handling of Francisco for one minute.

Actually, I'd say Kenny's doing a pretty good job getting guys that Colorado has given up on (Uribe).

By the way - Aaron Miles was sent back to AAA this weekend.

Fungo
05-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Matt Ginter was called up and pitched against the Astros and Roger Clemens. He actually fared pretty well...

Randar68
05-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
Matt Ginter was called up and pitched against the Astros and Roger Clemens. He actually fared pretty well...

I always liked Matt, but I also felt he was better out of the pen than as a starter.

Fungo
05-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I always liked Matt, but I also felt he was better out of the pen than as a starter.

I agree. I always thought he'd replace Sean Lowe as the long relief guy. He just never seemed to get a fair shake in Chicago. Do you remember if he was a starter or reliever at Mississippi State?

Randar68
05-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
I agree. I always thought he'd replace Sean Lowe as the long relief guy. He just never seemed to get a fair shake in Chicago. Do you remember if he was a starter or reliever at Mississippi State?

He was a starter in college IIRC.