PDA

View Full Version : Sox join in America's prayers

Jerry_Manuel
09-14-2001, 06:34 PM
By Jimmy Greenfield
ChicagoSports.com
September 14, 2001 12:14 PM CDT
When the White Sox gathered at Comiskey Park today for a workout, the day began not with stretching, or calisthenics, or with some easy throwing. Instead, it started with the team gathering in left field, kneeling, and praying for several minutes in remembrance of the victims of Tuesday’s tragedy.

“Chris Singleton is the guy that led the prayer,” said White Sox manager Jerry Manuel, “and it was very emotional for us.”

At 11 a.m., along with millions throughout the nation, the entire White Sox team put their heads down and a hush went over the entire ballpark. Moments later, as Manuel spoke with the media, there was a semblance of normalcy as players began to stretch, throw, and laugh among themselves. Even a plane flew overhead.

For Singleton, who had spent a lot of time with his family yesterday, Friday’s gathering was about more than stretching unused muscles.

“As well as being with my family … I wanted to have some time with this family,” he said. “For us to come together this morning was only a good thing for us.”

Manuel also felt that his team needed to be around each other.

“We wanted to really have the team together when this moment of silence came about,” Manuel said, “so it was almost kind of like church for us.”

The Sox, like the rest of the teams in Major League Baseball, won’t play again until next week, when they start a home series against the Yankees. The team will have had six games cancelled by the time that game starts, including three in New York on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The team left New York by bus the day of the terrorist attacks on the city.

“If we can do everything we can to entertain and to make people forget, not necessarily forget but at least give them something to laugh about, smile about, clap about, then we will have had a job well done,” said Manuel, discussing his team’s return to play next week.

Manuel said he was unaware of any players losing friends or family in the tragedy. He also said that the team has a counseling program in place if any players would need help. No one has requested any help so far.

charlie browned
09-15-2001, 07:12 PM
Singleton, an associate pastor at Rock Bridge Church in Atlanta, led the White
Sox in prayer at precisely 11 a.m. CT in Comiskey Park's outfield.

"A few of the guys requested that I lead them in prayer," said Singleton, who is in
the process of becoming an ordained minister. "Originally it was going to be a
quiet moment to think and reflect, but we wanted to unite on a different level.

"We are like family," he said. "We spend a lot of time together. I spent a lot of
time yesterday with my family and again this morning, but I wanted to spend
time with this family. Not only do we play this game together, we flow through
each other's lives more than we realize."

With Singleton on one knee in the left-field grass, teammates huddled around
the outfielder with heads bowed, hanging on every word of what Manager Jerry
Manuel called a 'moving' five-minute prayer.

"We prayed for everyone involved that God would give grace and that miracles
would take place and survivors would be found," Manuel said. "We also asked
that the president be granted wisdom, along with the other decision makers, to
make correct decisions. Those decisions will affect everyone."

"Today we were trying to show our support anyway we could," Herbert Perry
said. "It is a tough time and we are not out of the woods yet. Our gathering
symbolized us showing we are thinking about the people involved and praying
for their safety."

According to Singleton, the timing of the prayer was crucial. Since the team was
in New York City preparing to start a three-game series with the Yankees
Tuesday night, the players and coaching staff wanted to meet together at the
same time the people of New York would be congregating at their places of
worship to pray for victims and their families.

"Any time you speak with God through prayer, it is special time," Singleton said.
"It is an honor. Guys wanted to turn to God during this time for strength. I am
extremely thankful to be here, especially to be part of this team. I wish we were
doing something else, but I am proud to be part of this team."

Already, Singleton and his teammates have discussed contributing to relief
efforts in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.

"We are all interested in contributing or creating a relief fund," he said. "I am
sure that is something that we will talk about more. We were in New York City.
What has happened is driven deep into our hearts."

While Tuesday's tragic events are still fresh in the minds of Singleton and his
teammates, they all realize that starting Monday, Major League Baseball will
resume its schedule.

"It is hard to believe people will come to a ballgame and cheer and come
together," Singleton said. "The thought of people mustering enough energy to
come together at a ballgame is tough. For me, when I step up to the batter's box,
I know at that same time people will be climbing in the rubble and looking for
survivors. It is going to take a little time. We will just have to wait and see. I don't
know how exactly we are going to go on."

Although he believes that resuming the baseball season next week will be
difficult, Singleton understands the importance of returning some sense of
normalcy to the American people.

"The people who come out to see us are American people," he said. "We need
to bring encouragement into people's lives. We need to declare our
commitment to the American people on our uniforms or hats. We need to let
them know that our hearts are with them."

Singleton's a class act....and the Sox are talking about getting rid of a classy .300 hitter....

doublem23
09-15-2001, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned
Singleton's a class act....and the Sox are talking about getting rid of a classy .300 hitter....

I'd rather have a winning team than a team for of "classly" players....

I like Chris as much as the next guy (with the exception of maybe CLR...), but I want to win. In 2 or so years, Singleton may not even be the #5 OF in this organization...

Daver
09-15-2001, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

I'd rather have a winning team than a team for of "classly" players....

I like Chris as much as the next guy (with the exception of maybe CLR...), but I want to win. In 2 or so years, Singleton may not even be the #5 OF in this organization...

He's close to being that now.

doublem23
09-15-2001, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by daver

He's close to being that now.

:slowswing
Thank God Julio Ramirez never found my stash of "special" bats...

CubKiller
09-16-2001, 02:44 PM

I say it would be a mistake for the Sox to get rid of Singleton. Unless he clearly gets outperformed next Spring, he should be the regular CF.

If the Sox don't jack him around again next year, he could not only be the best defensive player on the team, but also could lead the team in stolen bases, sacrifices, and be among the team leaders in BA.

He hasn't been too sharp on the basepaths THIS YEAR, but he he's been okay the previous two years (42sb/12cs). He needs to return to that form and draw a few more walks.

Not sure, but I don't think he has a very high salary. So from a business standpoint, it doesn't seem like it would make much sense to unload such a talented (and classy) player.

As for getting the younger guys (Rowand, Borchard or whoever, etc.) in the lineup, stick them in LF because the Sox definately can't afford to have Carlos out there again.

HootieMcBoob
09-16-2001, 07:49 PM
i've heard a buncha rumors that carlos is the one who's gonna go this off season. if the sox do trade him, what could we get in return: veteran pitcher? who's available out there on the market?

Dadawg_77
09-16-2001, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
i've heard a buncha rumors that carlos is the one who's gonna go this off season. if the sox do trade him, what could we get in return: veteran pitcher? who's available out there on the market?
You just open up a can worms, (See several threads three weeks ago) But it is go to be talking baseball again.

charlie browned
09-16-2001, 11:54 PM
jerry--since it was my post, I knew you had to object. Let's just frickin' keep hiring Albert Belles, Will Corderos, Frank "I don't get paid enough for going 0 for 14 in championship series" Thomases...
Character plays much more of a role on winning teams than does statistics, IMO--and this contribution is not measured by conventional stat-oriented analysis. Some fans root for statistics (they should all be Yankees or Braves fans)-- and some fans root for players.

Jerry_Manuel
09-16-2001, 11:58 PM
jerry--since it was my post, I knew you had to object

I haven't even posted in this thread except for the article from the Trib.

FarWestChicago
09-16-2001, 11:59 PM
jerry--since it was my post, I knew you had to object. Let's just frickin' keep hiring Albert Belles, Will Corderos, Frank "I don't get paid enough for going 0 for 14 in championship series" Thomases...
Character plays much more of a role on winning teams than does statistics, IMO--and this contribution is not measured by conventional stat-oriented analysis. Some fans root for statistics (they should all be Yankees or Braves fans)-- and some fans root for players. Why are you going off on Jerry? He never even replied to your post.

charlie browned
09-17-2001, 12:43 AM
sorry--I have two people on my "ignore" list and, without my glasses on, I assumed that the ignored post was from the wrong 50% of my ignore list. I'm sorry, Jerry. Sorry, doublem as well. Paranoia is the fashion these days...

Jerry_Manuel
09-17-2001, 12:44 AM
sorry--I have two people on my "ignore" list and, without my glasses on, I assumed that the ignored post was from the wrong 50% of my ignore list. I'm sorry, Jerry. Sorry, doublem as well. Paranoia is the fashion these days...

That's ok.

charlie browned
09-17-2001, 12:58 AM
thanks for the gracious reply, Jerry.

You know, this link is the single best piece of journalism I've read in the last year (PHG's column today excepted)

Why Did It Have To Be A Perfect Morning? (http://www.andrewsullivan.com/text/main_article.html?1) --was it you or doublem who is the h.s. newspaper editor?

Jerry_Manuel
09-17-2001, 01:00 AM
was it you or doublem who is the h.s. newspaper editor?

I'm not one so it must be Doublem.