PDA

View Full Version : [teal]It's Over, Let's look to rebuild for 2005[/teal]

MRKARNO
05-16-2004, 12:54 AM
HOLY (*&))*&!!! After two consecutive losses to the Twins, The year is over! Send Maggs to Boston. Loaiza to New York. Thomas to LA. Lee to Seattle. This year is over because of two losses out of 162 games.

Get a grip Sox fans. Is it frustrating to lose two consecutive games to a division rival like this. I hate it too. We have 80% of the season left to go and we're not even done with the Twins in this series. The season is not over. It's not like football where one or two games changes the course of a season so drastically. Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint and we're on mile 5.7 and we've still got 20.5 left. Smarty Jones wasn't leading at the quarter mile pole, but won by a ridiculous 11 lengths when it was all said and done. This team is gonna break your hearts some days, but when it's all said and done the sox will be on top.

Last year, the Twins had such and edge with Hawkins and Guardado, but they dont have them or as much talent overall as we do, even less than last year. Chemistry is only good for so much. If you look atAdjusted Standings (http://baseballprospectus.com/statistics/standings.html?PHPSESSID=9edcf723f1010e90ac2dbaae7 fbf2e29) from BP, it shows that the Twins are already the most overperforming team in baseball. They can't and wont keep up this pace because it's impossible. They are on pace to finish about 15 wins over their pythagorean W-L, which is impossible.

Just be patient fellow sox fans. I know being an optimist isn't the popular choice, but it's too early to be predicting doom and desruction for this team.

Win1ForMe
05-16-2004, 01:34 AM
What were the BP adjusted standings for the last two years?

MRKARNO
05-16-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
What were the BP adjusted standings for the last two years?

Twins outperformed their pythagorean w-l, but not by 15 games, but more like 5 games.

CHISOXFAN13
05-16-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
HOLY (*&))*&!!! After two consecutive losses to the Twins, The year is over! Send Maggs to Boston. Loaiza to New York. Thomas to LA. Lee to Seattle. This year is over because of two losses out of 162 games.

Get a grip Sox fans. Is it frustrating to lose two consecutive games to a division rival like this. I hate it too. We have 80% of the season left to go and we're not even done with the Twins in this series. The season is not over. It's not like football where one or two games changes the course of a season so drastically. Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint and we're on mile 5.7 and we've still got 20.5 left. Smarty Jones wasn't leading at the quarter mile pole, but won by a ridiculous 11 lengths when it was all said and done. This team is gonna break your hearts some days, but when it's all said and done the sox will be on top.

Last year, the Twins had such and edge with Hawkins and Guardado, but they dont have them or as much talent overall as we do, even less than last year. Chemistry is only good for so much. If you look atAdjusted Standings (http://baseballprospectus.com/statistics/standings.html?PHPSESSID=9edcf723f1010e90ac2dbaae7 fbf2e29) from BP, it shows that the Twins are already the most overperforming team in baseball. They can't and wont keep up this pace because it's impossible. They are on pace to finish about 15 wins over their pythagorean W-L, which is impossible.

Just be patient fellow sox fans. I know being an optimist isn't the popular choice, but it's too early to be predicting doom and desruction for this team.

At this point, if the Twins blow it, I'm not so sure we will be the team to take advantage. This team has shown me absolutely nada this weekend offensively. For a team supposed to be built on offense, my optimism is shrinking by the day.

SoxxoS
05-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
At this point, if the Twins blow it, I'm not so sure we will be the team to take advantage. This team has shown me absolutely nada this weekend offensively. For a team supposed to be built on offense, my optimism is shrinking by the day.

It's not going to be the Tigers, Indians or Royals...I'll tell you that. Those teams are awful.

We might think we are bad...but those teams are really bad.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Logically Karno you are right unfortunately we've heard this line of reasoning before....in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

The Sox have nothing to show for it for whatever reason or reasons. The bottom line is winning.

Lip

batmanZoSo
05-16-2004, 03:19 AM

Whatever. This team is a bunch of loser ballplayers until they prove otherwise. They don't deserve our faith.

gosox41
05-16-2004, 08:52 AM

It's funny because the Twins have outperformed based on where they have been in BP the last 3 years.

This season is just like the other 3. Catch the trend now. I know being a fan it's hard to admit the Sox have huge shortcomings, but in reality they do. ANd in reality it's the same shortcomings they've had since 2001. And I'm sick of waching it. I didn't get excited about this team this season and I'm still going with 78 wins unless KW pulls off a miracle deal.

Bob

Dan H
05-16-2004, 09:32 AM
The season is far from over, but this under-performing in May is geting more than old. The team can't dig themselves another hole to climb out of again. The Sox have time to turn it around. The time to start is now. And if Detroit and Cleveland are so bad, why are they so close to the Sox?

I think fans should stop worrying about media coverage and attendance. This team cannot afford to play badly through June and then expect to turn it on in the summer. They will only come up short. They can start with a win today.

Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko, Jose Valentin, Carlos Lee. The players have been together for some time now. It is time to prove they can win more than 86 games. They won't do it if they keep wasting good pitching performances.

MRKARNO
05-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Logically Karno you are right unfortunately we've heard this line of reasoning before....in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

The Sox have nothing to show for it for whatever reason or reasons. The bottom line is winning.

Lip

I know you're all getting sick of hearing it, but the fact is that the Twins are going to fade eventually because they don't have the ability to score enough runs and prevent enough runs from scoring to win more than 90ish games. If we aren't the team that takes advantage, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same teams that gave us some trouble, The Jays, O's and Yanks, that will.

Chisoxfn
05-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Heck with 2005, that season is over too ;)

CHISOXFAN13
05-16-2004, 12:09 PM
I know you're all getting sick of hearing it, but the fact is that the Twins are going to fade eventually because they don't have the ability to score enough runs and prevent enough runs from scoring to win more than 90ish games. If we aren't the team that takes advantage, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same teams that gave us some trouble, The Jays, O's and Yanks, that will.

I understand your theory, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if we lose 14 or 15 of 19 to this team. That's way too big a hole to make up.

We've lost the first two at home and are awful at their place. I'm searching for a way to believe you, but it doesn't look good if we don't start playing better baseball. Sure, the Twins might fall off a bit, but what gives you the impression we will play better baseball because I haven't seen it from this team?

Lip Man 1
05-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Karno says: "but the fact is that the Twins are going to fade eventually because they don't have the ability to score enough runs and prevent enough runs from scoring to win more than 90ish games."

You mean like the last three years? 90+ games is more then the Sox have been able to win themselves since 2000 haven't they?

Old saying, if something happens once it's a fluke, twice it's a coincidence, three times or more it's a trend.

Lip

iwannago
05-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Heck with 2005, that season is over too ;)

Keep the faith!